PDA

View Full Version : Golfweek editor fired over noose cover

Sooner_Bob
1/18/2008, 10:56 AM
This story just won't go away.

Link (http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1704872,00.html?iref=werecommend)

walkoffsooner
1/18/2008, 11:01 AM
:confused: I don't know why they insist on making a big deal over nothing. Even Tiger said no biggie. I guess it might sell a mag. or two.

r5TPsooner
1/18/2008, 11:02 AM
Jesus H. we have become a sensitive society haven't we?

OU4LIFE
1/18/2008, 11:06 AM
Al Sharpton said she should be fired for it.

touchy feely much people? She had zero malice in the comment, when I heard it I didn't even think twice about it being racial, she could have used 'mugged' and it would been the same to me. Not everything is about race.

BigRedJed
1/18/2008, 11:25 AM
We apologize for creating this graphic cover that received extreme negative reaction from consumers, subscribers and advertisers across the country," said William P. Kupper Jr., president of Turnstile Publishing Co., the parent company of Golfweek. "We were trying to convey the controversial issue with a strong and provocative graphic image. It is now obvious that the overall reaction to our cover deeply offended many people. For that, we are deeply apologetic"
Sounds to me like the editor and VP were sacrificial lambs at the altar of political correctness. The publiser is STILL characterizing the cover as a company decision. I'd think they'd have an excellent case for wrongful termination.

BigRedJed
1/18/2008, 11:27 AM
And I agree about Kelly Tilghman having no intent behind what she said. This whole "controversy" should never have happened.

MextheBulldog
1/18/2008, 11:30 AM
Careful - you guys are siding with the "press/mainstream media". :)

usmc-sooner
1/18/2008, 11:39 AM
they should have just locked it when it didn't go there way. No need to fire anyone.

Partial Qualifier
1/18/2008, 11:52 AM
Since when is a NOOSE racially insensitive?? Give me a break.

OUDoc
1/18/2008, 11:55 AM
Golf is such a maverick sport. :rolleyes:

TheHumanAlphabet
1/18/2008, 11:58 AM
Plenty of white cowboys and messicans probably met a noose in the wild west days. Since when did the blacks own the noose and the word "lynch"? Not to discount the horrendous things done during the civil rights struggle and earlier. Just saying there are many groups and people that met the noose (in a non-legally sanctioned way), not just one group.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/18/2008, 11:59 AM
Golf is such a maverick sport. :rolleyes:

That is the hilarity/irony of the noose cover and the response...

swardboy
1/18/2008, 12:02 PM
In my dreams Tiger makes a statement to the effect that Al Sharpton and the uhRevvvverend Jackson should climb back under the sleazy rocks they crawled out from under. Tiger's the greatest thing in golf I'll see in my lifetime but golly they all have to be soooo PC for fear of losing endorsements.

royalfan5
1/18/2008, 12:03 PM
My question is how big of an idiot do you have to be to go ahead with a cover that you know will get people's panties in a bunch? The editor should of gotten fired for being dumber than a sack of nickels.

Mjcpr
1/18/2008, 12:09 PM
I've never really been able to decide if Kelly Tilghman was hawt or not.

walden2009
1/18/2008, 12:11 PM
Agreed. Everyone is too sensitive.

KABOOKIE
1/18/2008, 12:11 PM
My question is how big of an idiot do you have to be to go ahead with a cover that you know will get people's panties in a bunch? The editor should of gotten fired for being dumber than a sack of nickels.

I guess all covers of magazines should be black from here on. Oh wait a minute. As a white man that offends me.

usmc-sooner
1/18/2008, 12:13 PM
I guess all covers of magazines should be black from here on. Oh wait a minute. As a white man that offends me.

my people have been oppressed on the basketball court, when is it my turned to be offended.

royalfan5
1/18/2008, 12:14 PM
If you put a noose on the cover of a golf magazine, you are an idiot. It's a ****ing golf magazine, put a ****ing golfer on it. When you are golf magazine, you should leave trying to be edgy to people who are in that business, and stick to articles about how to get out of bunkers.

usmc-sooner
1/18/2008, 12:29 PM
I'm let loose
From the noose
That's kept me hanging around
I've been looking at the sky
and it's gettin' me high
Forget the hearse 'cause I never die
I got nine lives
Cats eyes
Cruisin' every woman, never wonderin' why

proud gonzo
1/18/2008, 12:30 PM
man, i think that's a little prejudice to use a noose only for black people. I mean, what are the pirates and horse-thieves supposed to do now?

TheHumanAlphabet
1/18/2008, 12:30 PM

That is another issue - I agree with this assessment - why inflame?

TheHumanAlphabet
1/18/2008, 12:31 PM
my people have been oppressed on the basketball court, when is it my turned to be offended.

Or get minority status on the basketball court. Where is affirmative action when you need it? ;)

KABOOKIE
1/18/2008, 12:32 PM
If you put a noose on the cover of a golf magazine, you are an idiot. It's a ****ing golf magazine, put a ****ing golfer on it. When you are golf magazine, you should leave trying to be edgy to people who are in that business, and stick to articles about how to get out of bunkers.

Well I wonder what the latest story in Golf has been about?

usmc-sooner
1/18/2008, 12:39 PM
I'd put naked women on the cover but that's just me.

I'd rather look at tittays than Tiger and Phil.

Pricetag
1/18/2008, 01:01 PM
man, i think that's a little prejudice to use a noose only for black people. I mean, what are the pirates and horse-thieves supposed to do now?
Wait, I thought pirates had to walk the plank.

silverwheels
1/18/2008, 01:06 PM

You'd still be looking at tittays if Mickelson was on the cover. ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/18/2008, 01:19 PM
The only way to stop these noose references is to lynch them....

Widescreen
1/18/2008, 01:26 PM
That's insensitive to nooses.

proud gonzo
1/18/2008, 01:33 PM
Wait, I thought pirates had to walk the plank.or keel-hauled. But that's if pirates are doing that to other pirates. The non-pirates string the pirates up.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/18/2008, 01:42 PM
I tearfully apologize to nooses, i just hope that this doesn't effect my future in the posting industry.

MextheBulldog
1/18/2008, 02:14 PM
You'd still be looking at tittays if Mickelson was on the cover. ;)

Preferably Mrs. Mickelson

picasso
1/18/2008, 03:20 PM
yep, the cover was a bad choice.

TUSooner
1/18/2008, 03:28 PM
Really, first the gays take over the entire color spectrum and now this. <shakes head sadly>
Face it ladies & gents: offending the hypersensitive black folks is the unforgivable sin of our day.
It's scary.

tulsaoilerfan
1/18/2008, 07:23 PM
I'd put naked women on the cover but that's just me.

You realize you can have both with Phil on the cover? ;)

tulsaoilerfan
1/18/2008, 07:24 PM
Preferably Mrs. Mickelson
Or just about any PGA golfer's wife or significant other; have you seen David Toms' woman? She is Smokin:hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:

Sooner_Bob
1/18/2008, 07:42 PM
Really, first the gays take over the entire color spectrum and now this. <shakes head sadly>
Face it ladies & gents: offending the hypersensitive black folks is the unforgivable sin of our day.
It's scary.

Or just hypersensitive folks in general.

sooner_born_1960
1/18/2008, 07:46 PM
It's scary.
You must be talking about the visible spectrum. Cause I called dibs on the infrared portion of the eloctromagnetic spectrum.

Newbomb Turk
1/18/2008, 07:50 PM
I've never really been able to decide if Kelly Tilghman was hawt or not.

hawt.

Mjcpr
1/18/2008, 07:53 PM
Sometimes yes....

http://www.bogeylounge.tv/images/kelly_tilghman.jpg

Mjcpr
1/18/2008, 07:56 PM
And sometimes I can't help but think of Rocky Dennis melon when I see her...

http://images.waggleroom.com/images/admin/kelly_tilghman.jpg

KC//CRIMSON
1/18/2008, 08:17 PM
Al Sharpton said she should be fired for it.

touchy feely much people? She had zero malice in the comment, when I heard it I didn't even think twice about it being racial, she could have used 'mugged' and it would been the same to me. Not everything is about race.

Al Sharpton is a joke. Where was this hypocrite when Michael Vick, Isaiah Washington, and Halle Berry got into trouble?

SleestakSooner
1/18/2008, 08:17 PM
I could have sworn I started a thread yesterday about this!

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106913
yep I sure did, thanks for all the replies folks :P

Chuck Bao
1/18/2008, 10:02 PM
I wondered why anyone would ever buy a golf magazine.

Or is it..."dear Golfweek, I never thought it would happen to me..." type of things?

r5TPsooner
1/18/2008, 10:04 PM
I wondered why anyone would ever buy a golf magazine.

Or is it..."dear Golfweek, I never thought it would happen to me..." type of things?

For the same reason that someone would respond to a golf related thread on a message board?

Soonerus
1/18/2008, 10:05 PM
A total sham and double standard...just wrong...

SleestakSooner
1/18/2008, 11:50 PM
I blame Jenny Carlson

Sooner Schemer
1/19/2008, 12:52 AM
No noose is good noose...

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/20/2008, 05:32 AM
The biggest problem is that Tiger isn't 40 and that means he isn't a man. I mean why don't they go after Vijay Singh.

StoopTroup
1/20/2008, 09:48 PM
Why is there outrage when we can air stuff like this on a major network?

Eddie Murphy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctf3TtTO-sU)