PDA

View Full Version : An Inquiry on the Subject of Time Travel

OCUDad
1/17/2008, 03:58 PM
Well, if SicEm can inquire about marriage, why not? The odds are about the same, no?

Fugue
1/17/2008, 04:00 PM
It can only be reached at "Ludicrous Speed".

StoopTroup
1/17/2008, 04:01 PM
Would you prefer to alter time in the past or the future?

Newbomb Turk
1/17/2008, 04:02 PM
1.21 gigawatts.

frankensooner
1/17/2008, 04:07 PM
I really liked that old show Time Tunnel. They always ended up someplace freaky.

dolemitesooner
1/17/2008, 04:23 PM
tV IS NOT REAQL sIC'EM ....UHH i MEAN DOC

Whet
1/17/2008, 04:37 PM
Er, no the odd are NOT about the same.....

Think about it!

Time travel has the greater probability

just sayin'....

frankensooner
1/17/2008, 04:38 PM
If I could turn back time

soonerinabilene
1/17/2008, 04:50 PM
Would you prefer to alter time in the past or the furure?

what does german government have to do with this?

crawfish
1/17/2008, 04:53 PM
I wish I could go back in time and not read this thread.

TMcGee86
1/17/2008, 05:00 PM
Mass Effect.

it's the wave of the future, trust me on this.

Miko
1/17/2008, 05:10 PM
Mass Effect.

Tridentine Mass or Mass said in the venacular?

Just curious. :D

StormySooner-IN
1/17/2008, 07:04 PM
1.21 JIGGAWATTTS!?!?!11!?!!?11!

Fixed.

GottaHavePride
1/17/2008, 09:19 PM
Time travel is irrelevant. Anything you did in the past when you went back to try to fix something has already happened, and now is the result.

Chew on that one for a while. ;)

sanantoniosooner
1/17/2008, 09:42 PM
Rico:

Kip, I reckon you know a lot about cyberspace.
Y-You ever come across anything like time travel?

Kip:

Easy. I've already looked into it for myself.

Rico:

Right on. Right on.

OUinFLA
1/17/2008, 09:59 PM
I'm not here, yet.

soonerinabilene
1/17/2008, 10:27 PM
Time travel is irrelevant. Anything you did in the past when you went back to try to fix something has already happened, and now is the result.

Chew on that one for a while. ;)

Thats what throws a wrench in the terminator plot. Obviously they never kill John Connor, because he is the one that sends them back to protect him. If they did kill him, he wouldnt have been there in the future to do that. But then again, if they had suceeded, then he wouldnt have ever been alive in the future, so the machines would have never have had to send a terminator back to kill his mom, so then it never would have gotten crushed in the elevator, then they never would have found the chip and arm, and they never would have used that technology to build skynet, so the machines never would have existed. So yeah. Its complicated. Not to mention that his dad never would have been sent back, so he wouldnt have ever been born anyways. Its that whole pandoras box thing. I gotta go lie down now.

OCUDad
1/17/2008, 10:30 PM
I'm not here, yet.Thanks for the warning, old man.

OUinFLA
1/17/2008, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the warning, old man.

Obviously, since I'm not here, yet, I can't hear you.
so, quit talking to me.

:D

GrapevineSooner
1/17/2008, 10:44 PM
I dunno.

Ask this guy.

http://wiki.ytmnd.com/images/3/31/Timetraveler.jpg

jkjsooner
1/17/2008, 11:12 PM
Well, if SicEm can inquire about marriage, why not? The odds are about the same, no?

I believe in the Novikov self consistency principal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novikov_self-consistency_principle

Curly Bill
1/17/2008, 11:17 PM
I want to go back and see what really happened at the OK Corral.

I do not want to go back with that guy from GrapevineSooner's want ad. :eek:

GottaHavePride
1/18/2008, 12:20 AM
I believe in the Novikov self consistency principal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novikov_self-consistency_principle

That article makes Dr. Dan Streetmentioner spin in his grave.

jkjsooner
1/18/2008, 08:07 PM
That article makes Dr. Dan Streetmentioner spin in his grave.

It's pretty out there but some theoretical physicists have discussed this topic since some have speculated that a future event can change particles at the current time. (At one point some asserted they've shown this in a lab but others have criticized the test/conclusions.)

One idea is that some natural laws operate in a time feedback loop. A partical may only behave in a manner in which the feedback loop settles on a consistent result (does not oscillate). You can extrapolate this to larger scales to cover the time travel issue.

But I know almost nothing about theoretical physics and forgot everything I knew about quantum mechanics. I'm sure this idea isn't widely held. ;)

olevetonahill
1/18/2008, 08:50 PM
Obviously, since I'm not here, yet, I can't hear you.
so, quit talking to me.

:D
You cant hear cause you DEAF . Youve got your here and Hear mixed up again . :pop:

OUinFLA
1/18/2008, 08:52 PM
You cant hear cause you DEAF . Youve got your here and Hear mixed up again . :pop:

I can here you now.

olevetonahill
1/18/2008, 08:53 PM
I can here you now.
But can Ya saw Me ?
;)

OUinFLA
1/18/2008, 09:17 PM
But can Ya saw Me ?
;)

not is a couple of years. why don't you come back down hear again.
this time bring a real woman.

olevetonahill
1/18/2008, 09:28 PM
not is a couple of years. why don't you come back down hear again.
this time bring a real woman.
Hey I axed you If ya wanted me to Bring the Skank to help you Move the Farm . Shat its takin you ferevar !:eek:

OCUDad
1/18/2008, 11:22 PM
Get a room, you two.

GottaHavePride
1/19/2008, 12:26 AM
It's pretty out there but some theoretical physicists have discussed this topic since some have speculated that a future event can change particles at the current time. (At one point some asserted they've shown this in a lab but others have criticized the test/conclusions.)

One idea is that some natural laws operate in a time feedback loop. A partical may only behave in a manner in which the feedback loop settles on a consistent result (does not oscillate). You can extrapolate this to larger scales to cover the time travel issue.

But I know almost nothing about theoretical physics and forgot everything I knew about quantum mechanics. I'm sure this idea isn't widely held. ;)

I was just referring to his definitive work:

"The major problem is quite simply one of grammar, and the main work to consult in this matter is Dr Dan Streetmentioner's Time Traveller's Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations. It will tell you for instance how to describe something that was about to happen to you in the past before you avoided it by time-jumping forward two days in order to avoid it. The event will be described differently according to whether you are talking about it from the standpoint of your own natural time, from a time in the further future, or a time in the further past and is further complicated by the possibility of conducting conversations whilst you are actually travelling from one time to another with the intention of becoming your own father or mother.

Most readers get as far as the Future Semi-Conditionally Modified Subinverted Plagal Past Subjunctive Intentional before giving up: and in fact in later editions of the book all the pages beyond this point have been left blank to save on printing costs."