PDA

View Full Version : Applewhite back to Texas

sooner-n-ga
1/16/2008, 09:20 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3199990

tulsaoilerfan
1/16/2008, 09:26 PM
Damn, 250K to coach running backs? And he gets the cosmetic title of asst head coach? I would be pretty nervous if i was the OC at that place right now. :)

KantoSooner
1/16/2008, 09:28 PM
Yeah, Mack's 'succession planning' is pretty obvious on this one...

madillsoonerfan5353
1/16/2008, 09:40 PM
:twinkies:

XingTheRubicon
1/16/2008, 09:58 PM
ULM

utex74
1/16/2008, 10:01 PM
Damn, 250K to coach running backs? And he gets the cosmetic title of asst head coach? I would be pretty nervous if i was the OC at that place right now. :)

Major is a great addition. He was ahead of his time in studying, and analyzing, game tape as a player and knows the game inside out. Greg Davis (OC) is his mentor but I could see Major stepping in as OC after a few years.

The most immediate impact, and with Muschamp, is in recruiting. Young coaches recruit young kids better, as Stoops has shown. I've often wished Texas had a younger staff like you guys do and we're now headed that direction. Also, younger guys seem to have more fire. They're hungry.

We're stoked down here. Very optimistic about the future. Damn, is it time to tee it up yet?

OklahomaTuba
1/16/2008, 10:25 PM
Josh vs Major.

The will be fun to watch in about 15-20 years.

85sooners
1/16/2008, 10:57 PM
:texan:

Sooner_Havok
1/16/2008, 11:27 PM
Am I the only one who remembers that Applewhite is the only quarterback not named Vince Young that p3wned us on a regular basis?

MextheBulldog
1/16/2008, 11:54 PM
Major is a great addition. He was ahead of his time in studying, and analyzing, game tape as a player and knows the game inside out. Greg Davis (OC) is his mentor but I could see Major stepping in as OC after a few years.

The most immediate impact, and with Muschamp, is in recruiting. Young coaches recruit young kids better, as Stoops has shown. I've often wished Texas had a younger staff like you guys do and we're now headed that direction. Also, younger guys seem to have more fire. They're hungry.

We're stoked down here. Very optimistic about the future. Damn, is it time to tee it up yet?

Major and Heupel are very similar. Muschamp sticks around for max. 1-2 years.

47straight
1/17/2008, 01:09 AM
Am I the only one who remembers that Applewhite is the only quarterback not named Vince Young that p3wned us on a regular basis?

I remember him beating us in 99. I remember him not beating us after that. So, no.

goingoneight
1/17/2008, 01:11 AM
Some guys you just love to hate, some guys you just hate to love. Texas to me always seemed more themselves when they had someone cocky like Chrissy. Major was too classy for them IMHO; maybe that's why he got demoted.

KC//CRIMSON
1/17/2008, 01:13 AM
He was ahead of his time in studying, and analyzing, game tape as a player and knows the game inside out.

Yep, he was a regular football Einstein. So much so, that Mack put him on the bench to study more while Mr. Prima Donna took the field.

Word on the street is that he was in over his head as OC for Alabama.

47straight
1/17/2008, 01:15 AM
Major and Heupel are very similar.

Sorry, no.

Major: screams at/assaults opposing spirit squads
Heupel: doesn't scream at/assault opposing spirit squads

Major: taunts opposing crowds after touchdowns, then gets his *** beat in Big 12 championship game, making him look like a ******.
Heupel: Doesn't taunt opposing crowds after touchdowns, doesn't get his *** beat in the Big 12 Championship game, and doesn't look like a ******

Major: Coaches a position he never played
Heupel: Coaches a position he mastered

Major: Doesn't win National Championships
Heupel:Wins National Championships

You know, Opie might do a good Cale Gundy impersonation, but he's no Heupel.

Crucifax Autumn
1/17/2008, 01:25 AM
Well, seems to me it's good news him being at TU...Didn't we always beat 'em when he was there? Now if Chrissy will come back and be prima donna coach we'll have a bright future in Dallas!

Jacie
1/17/2008, 07:47 AM
When Major had an off day.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2309/2124909193_41bdbc865a.jpg

soonerinabilene
1/17/2008, 08:33 AM

1-2 for vince young is a regular basis?

soonernation
1/17/2008, 08:52 AM

Both of those guys had one win apiece against OU. I don't really call that owning anyone. The only QB to "own OU" since I've been alive is Peter Gardere.

BIG_IKE
1/17/2008, 08:52 AM
Actually..in Majors Defense....it was 29-10 when he came in the game after 4 Simms turnovers and he only lost by 2 points....doesn't sound like an @$$ beating, but OK. But true enough he does not have the titles that Josh has.

And as far as games against OU Major Applewhite is 2-0 against OU as a starter. He beat us 34-3 in 98' 38-28 in 99, and in the 2000 game he lost but Chrissy played most of the game.
In the 2001 game Major did not play.

XingTheRubicon
1/17/2008, 09:16 AM
Actually..in Majors Defense....it was 29-10 when he came in the game after 4 Simms turnovers and he only lost by 2 points....doesn't sound like an @$$ beating, but OK. But true enough he does not have the titles that Josh has.

And as far as games against OU Major Applewhite is 2-0 against OU as a starter. He beat us 34-3 in 98' 38-28 in 99, and in the 2000 game he lost but Chrissy played most of the game.
In the 2001 game Major did not play.

Go watch the game again. BTW, Major started and was benched with the game at 28-0 OU.

Partial Qualifier
1/17/2008, 09:49 AM

Peter Gardere (that muhfugga) had more wins against us than VY and Major combined?

KingBarry
1/17/2008, 10:03 AM
Peter Gardere (that muhfugga) had more wins against us than VY and Major combined?

Yes. Gardere was 4-0 against us. I think his record against everybody else was pretty spotty, but he did "own" us.

Now I'll have to take a shower just from remembering that.

CincySooner
1/17/2008, 10:14 AM
Go watch the game again. BTW, Major started and was benched with the game at 28-0 OU.

yep... and on Simms' first series Rocky took one back to the house...:cool:

TheHumanAlphabet
1/17/2008, 11:34 AM

Why else would you leave after only 1 or so year as OC? I thought UA was a dream job for him?

NYC Poke
1/17/2008, 11:50 AM
Why else would you leave after only 1 or so year as OC? I thought UA was a dream job for him?

He was making $250k at Alabama, which seems low for a program like Alabama, particulary in light of what Saban is making. Also, I have seen internet rumors that the O-Line coach was the de facto OC, to the extent of even calling plays. That couldn't have been a pleasant situation.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/17/2008, 12:17 PM
Well the DC at Hawai'i was only making around 110K until he got the HC gig there. Talk about a 10X pay raise!!!

SoonerRecon
1/17/2008, 04:03 PM
i wish major the best of luck continuing the tradition of ex whorns coaching their alma mater:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_McWilliams_(American_football)

utex74
1/17/2008, 09:26 PM
Major and Heupel are very similar. Muschamp sticks around for max. 1-2 years.

Then I hope Auburn hires a good replacement so we can go steal him!

utex74
1/17/2008, 09:29 PM
Yep, he was a regular football Einstein. So much so, that Mack put him on the bench to study more while Mr. Prima Donna took the field.

And which street would that be? South Meridian?

utex74
1/17/2008, 09:34 PM

To come home. He grew up idolizing 'Bama but being at Texas was his dream.

utex74
1/17/2008, 09:35 PM
He was making $250k at Alabama, which seems low for a program like Alabama, particulary in light of what Saban is making. Also, I have seen internet rumors that the O-Line coach was the de facto OC, to the extent of even calling plays. That couldn't have been a pleasant situation.

I have seen the same stories. Plus, Saban is a dick.

KC//CRIMSON
1/17/2008, 10:17 PM

Here's one of many "South Meridians," slappy.

Sour grapes or the truth?

Will Saban Get It Right This Time?

By Kevin Scarbinsky
The Birmingham News
Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Why would Major Applewhite leave Alabama as the offensive coordinator to become the running backs coach or assistant/associate/apprentice head coach or co-offensive coordinator in training or some combination of the above at Texas?

Good question. Here's a better one.

Why wouldn't he make that move?

It was true for Will Muschamp, and the same holds for Applewhite. Even if things were perfect for him in Tuscaloosa, he still might've gotten on that plane Tuesday morning to fly to Austin to ``interview."

Texas is that impressive, and Applewhite is that ambitious, and if that weren't enough, the eyes of Texas get all misty when they remember him.

The old quarterback is one of the most beloved players in Longhorn history. Texas is his place, and Texas fans are his people.

It's not likely one of them will call to complain in the middle of the night after a loss. Unless it's another loss to Oklahoma or Texas A&M.

The only upset would be him not taking the job.

Applewhite stepped out of his comfort zone by coming to work for Nick Saban. That's usually a smart thing for a young coach to do, but the Applewhite experiment was a mistake from the start.

Insiders say he wasn't ready to be an offensive coordinator in the SEC, which explains why Saban tried to hire Jimbo Fisher, Jason Garrett, Rob Spence and one or two others before he settled on Applewhite.

It also explains why Saban gave Applewhite the coordinator's title but not the coordinator's full responsibility.

The veteran Joe Pendry had as much or more input into the game plans, and Saban himself was involved in putting together the playbook before the season began.

Applewhite did call the plays on game day, but a lot of them weren't his plays in the ill-conceived offense by committee. And none of the committee members - not Applewhite, Pendry or Saban - has ever been mistaken for Homer Smith, the last big-time offensive coordinator to run the show in Tuscaloosa.

Last season's Alabama offense never established an identity, and given the number of returning playmakers, it clearly underachieved.

Is it any wonder that John Parker Wilson went backward?

In truth, Applewhite ran the Alabama offense the way a high school kid pilots the driver's ed car. The instructor Pendry had a steering wheel and a brake in front of him, too, just in case.

That mentor-protege relationship didn't work because it's hard to learn on the job in the SEC.

The real question for Alabama is whether Saban learned from that failed experiment. Given the chance to name a new offensive coordinator, will he promote Pendry to that spot or will he go outside to find someone proven at that position at this level?

Given Pendry's involvement in the offense, if he stays, would a proven coordinator take the job? One source said there's an outside chance Pendry could leave Alabama to return to the NFL if one of his friends gets a head coaching job there.

The only thing that's clear is the Alabama offense needs to make changes, especially with Auburn establishing a new and distinct identity by hiring Tony Franklin.

It's up to Saban to get it right the second time around.

SoonerRecon
1/18/2008, 01:52 PM
To come home. He grew up idolizing 'Bama but being at Texas was his dream.

his home isn't texas, he's a coonass.

utex74
1/18/2008, 09:38 PM
his home isn't texas, he's a coonass.

We know that. But Louisianna was not his dream, to his credit. And reference the above poster, I agree Major might not have been ready for the "Bama OC job. And a lot of the responsibility was delegated by Saben. But it was good experience, he is a quick study and he is not OC here. I think he is an big asset to the team.

1/19/2008, 06:58 AM
I've met Applewhite and he seems like a good person. He's an orange Josh, minus the pedigree.

zeke
1/19/2008, 11:18 AM
Opie returns to Mayberry

OK2LA
1/19/2008, 01:07 PM

After reading KC//Crimson's post - it looks like it is more like the corner of Robert Dedman Drive and Clyde Littlefield Drive.

I'd say that you should have your hat in your hand and ask for KC's forgiveness. While you're at it - tell him that your arrogance is only outweighed by your ignorance.

Seamus
1/19/2008, 01:16 PM
Some guys you just love to hate, some guys you just hate to love. Texas to me always seemed more themselves when they had someone cocky like Chrissy. Major was too classy for them IMHO; maybe that's why he got demoted.

I know what you mean. I have a lot of respect for Colt McCoy. The kid's a warrior. I am this close to liking him, if it weren't for that ghey orange thing ...