PDA

View Full Version : Music downloading people...

Osce0la
1/16/2008, 05:03 PM
what is the best site (and by best I mean I can get the most music for the lowest price) to download music?

soonerbrat
1/16/2008, 05:08 PM
what is the best site (and by best I mean I can get the most music for the lowest price) to download music?

wal-mart has songs online for $.88/each..but their selection isn't the greatest.

Boomer.....
1/16/2008, 05:08 PM
So you mean legally.

Osce0la
1/16/2008, 05:16 PM
Legally, illegally...I don't care...I have Limewire at home, I am waiting to get there so I can start putting some music on my new mp3 player...Napster is a ****ing joke now...You can download the music onto your computer, but it is protected so that you can not burn or copy it until you actually purchase it...

What is the point of paying Napster money every month and then having to still pay for each individual song seperately?

Osce0la
1/16/2008, 05:22 PM
When you cancel your membership with napster, it lists reasons why you cancelled...One of the options was actually "I thought I could burn an unlimited number of songs each month with my monthly subscription"...Funny, that is what I was thinking too...

I signed up for the $14.95/month thing, thinking I could burn as many songs as I want - nope. You pay $14.95 and still get charged $.99 if you want to be able to actually burn the song onto a disc or mp3 player...

soonerinabilene
1/16/2008, 05:37 PM
Limewire= teh free, and the best share program out there. Its illegal, but unless you are planning on downloading thousands of songs, they probably wont come after you. Also, the newest version is compatible with bittorrents, which opens you up to a whole new world of free music, movies, video games, and all that kind of stuff.

Osce0la
1/17/2008, 11:18 AM
Limewire= teh free, and the best share program out there. Its illegal, but unless you are planning on downloading thousands of songs, they probably wont come after you. Also, the newest version is compatible with bittorrents, which opens you up to a whole new world of free music, movies, video games, and all that kind of stuff.
The only problem with Limewire is that, to get an entire album, you have to download each track individually. I would rather be able to just go to a site and click the download entire album thing and be done with it...

I will use limewire to get some of my music, but would rather not have to search for each individual song on every album I want...

M
1/17/2008, 11:42 AM
Yahoo Music Unlimited is pretty cool...you can get access to more than 2 million songs for $5.99 a month if you get a 1-year subscription (it's $8.99 a month if you pay monthly). You can add as many songs to your mp3 player as you want for a little bit more per month, the only thing is the songs on the mp3 player expire after a month, but all you do is reload them back on there and you're good to go. If you want to burn songs to a CD, you can purchase individual songs for $0.79 each.

You can also play different radio stations of all kinds of genres. Or, you can create your own customized radio station that will play songs according to your music taste.

The song selection is pretty good, but sometimes they don't always have the newest of the new artists on there or really obscure artists. But overall I am really happy with it.

OCUDad
1/17/2008, 11:43 AM
Those of you using Limewire may want to run your spyware and adware detectors daily. Just sayin'.

soonerinabilene
1/17/2008, 11:58 AM
The only problem with Limewire is that, to get an entire album, you have to download each track individually. I would rather be able to just go to a site and click the download entire album thing and be done with it...

I will use limewire to get some of my music, but would rather not have to search for each individual song on every album I want...

Thats where bittorrents come in. Download the latest version of limewire, and then find a good bittorrent site. I like thepiratebay.org. You do a search for whoever it is you are looking for, and a list of bittorrents will come up that people have uploaded. These torrents will have a description of what they contain, ie if you are looking for a high quality version of the Killers new album, and you see a torrent that says Killer Sawdust (320 kbps mp3) that torrent contains the entire album, in individual songs, in cd quality mp3 format. There are also torrents of a bands entire discography. a full cd torrent usually takes between 1-2 hours to download, and a discography can take longer than a day if its a band like the rolling stones or u2 that have a ton of albums, but its hassle free, you dont have to download individual songs, and they come already tagged with artist and album info. You want to find the ones that a high number of seeds, usually at least 15, to increase your download speed. It does use a lot of your bandwidth, so what I do is find what I want, start to download before I go to bed or before I leave to go work, and then when I get back, its ready to be put on the ipod.

walden2009
1/17/2008, 12:02 PM
For free music legally use ruckus player. Although I think you have to have a college email. It lets you download songs and albums with no problem. Although they are teathered downloads. So you cant burn them to cd's or put them on your ipod since it isnt compatible with macs. For a small fee it will let you put it on other mp3 players. I think they will last up to like 3 months on your computer before erasing. But I just personally use limewire.

OKLA21FAN
1/17/2008, 12:14 PM
Bittorrent is your friend

soonerborn76
1/17/2008, 09:50 PM

some complete albums are availible on limewire but they only download as one file so in order to change songs you have to fast forward, just search for "complete albums"

GottaHavePride
1/17/2008, 10:11 PM
Um, probably the best way to download music legally is iTunes and the Apple Music Store. Probably the best selection, too.

Now I sound like the corporate whore. Heh.