PDA

View Full Version : An Inquiry on the Subject of Marriage

SicEmBaylor
1/16/2008, 04:43 PM
I have a question.

It seems like every show on TV featuring a married couple has a husband (and in some cases wife) who avoids spending time with and doing things with their spouse. In the real world, is this common? Do you all detest the idea of hanging out or spending time with your spouse?

There has to be some truth to it because otherwise these sitcoms would have a harder time trying to relate with the public. I hate to sound naive, but I'm guessing if I were married then I'd want to spend most of my free time with the spouse.

Miko
1/16/2008, 04:45 PM
well, YOU would want to spend time with HER, ................:D

I keed.

BigRedJed
1/16/2008, 04:45 PM
Deer lord. Another one of these threads.

BigRedJed
1/16/2008, 04:46 PM
And by "these threads," I mean a thread started by SicEm.

SicEmBaylor
1/16/2008, 04:47 PM
And by "these threads," I mean a thread started by SicEm.

No, I am very serious here. Every show like this on TV seems to feature avoiding the spouse in some capacity. I genuinely want to know if that's common.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2008, 04:55 PM
I have a question.

It seems like every show on TV featuring a married couple has a husband (and in some cases wife) who avoids spending time with and doing things with their spouse. In the real world, is this common? Do you all detest the idea of hanging out or spending time with your spouse?

There has to be some truth to it because otherwise these sitcoms would have a harder time trying to relate with the public. I hate to sound naive, but I'm guessing if I were married then I'd want to spend most of my free time with the spouse.

Most sitcoms aren't filled with reality. If they were people would not find them funny. In most sitcoms and cartoons, the men of the show are idiots who have no concept of reality and they never know whats going on in their own house.

I personally love spending time with my wife. If I go to a game, she's the first invitee. If I go do anything its usually with her. We have our times that we do things separately but you kinda have to do that. A couple of days ago I told her I needed some time alone which featured me driving around town for 10 minutes and coming back home.

If ya don't like spending time with her, then you probably shouldnt marry.

OKC-SLC
1/16/2008, 05:03 PM
I like spending time with STEP's wife as well.

Especially when he's out for "alone time."

;)

proud gonzo
1/16/2008, 05:12 PM
Most sitcoms get their roots in screwball romantic comedies, which typically have a male character with too much leisure time, immaturity, etc. and a smart female lead. That's just how they work. It's not about reflecting reality, it's about creating conflict, comedy, and entertaining people. Normal people aren't interesting.

Miko
1/16/2008, 05:13 PM
I agree with both of the above comments.

TMcGee86
1/16/2008, 05:14 PM
There has to be some truth to it because otherwise these sitcoms would have a harder time trying to relate with the public.

Yeah. Right.

That's why in the real world, all smoking hawt chicks are married to fat dudes.

:rolleyes:

proud gonzo
1/16/2008, 05:16 PM
and technically, this seems more like an inquiry on the subject of sitcoms, not marriage.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2008, 05:36 PM
I like spending time with STEP's wife as well.

Especially when he's out for "alone time."

;)

You the reason she's been trying to get me to go to the city for a couple of weeks?

Scott D
1/16/2008, 05:43 PM
I think a SicEm marriage would be a sitcom of sorts.

OKC-SLC
1/16/2008, 05:53 PM
You the reason she's been trying to get me to go to the city for a couple of weeks?
heh.

StoopTroup
1/16/2008, 06:02 PM
I modeled my first marriage after Micheal Douglas in War of the Roses. ;)

yermom
1/16/2008, 06:05 PM
Most sitcoms get their roots in screwball romantic comedies, which typically have a male character with too much leisure time, immaturity, etc. and a smart female lead. That's just how they work. It's not about reflecting reality, it's about creating conflict, comedy, and entertaining people. Normal people aren't interesting.

sounds about right

;)

SoonerStormchaser
1/16/2008, 06:51 PM
Oh boy...where to begin.

SicEmBaylor
1/16/2008, 06:55 PM
Oh boy...where to begin.
You don't count. You have to spend time with her or you'd have to put her in the nursing home.

StormySooner-IN
1/16/2008, 07:02 PM
You don't count. You have to spend time with her or you'd have to put her in the nursing home.You made my day:D

Sorry SSC.

(not about the joke.......about your wife)

;)

SleestakSooner
1/16/2008, 07:14 PM
Media and entertainment have used this formula ever since the Honeymooners became a huge hit.

You take one mook and call him dad or hubby. You take one cute and reasonably intelligent woman and call her mom. You add a couple of friends/children/co-workers into the mix and SHAZAM! you have yourself a nice money making endeavor.

Although I know of a few (dysfunctional) families that actually fit into this general scenario, most "normal" families do not... at all.

If you are trying to base a sense of reality on how sitcoms or commercials portray an average family situation, it makes me realize why you chose to go to Baylor in the first place, among the myriad of other great choices you have made along the way. :rolleyes:

Who here thinks SicEm would make a good "dad" on a sitcom?

OCUDad
1/16/2008, 07:39 PM
Yeah. Right.

That's why in the real world, all smoking hawt chicks are married to fat dudes.

:rolleyes:Speaking from personal experience, I know of at least one such marriage. :)

soonerloyal
1/16/2008, 07:50 PM
The main points to remember are:

1) Don't marry someone you don't want to spend time (especially out of bed) with.

2) With the best of couples, there are times when you don't wanna hang with your beloved. It's normal, it's not fatal, and it keeps your sense of self healthy (and theirs too).

3) TV ain't real.

usmc-sooner
1/16/2008, 08:14 PM
I don't mind hanging out with my wife, after all the time away from her and the kids in the USMC, I actually consider it a blessing to have someone who likes being around the real me.

tulsaoilerfan
1/16/2008, 09:28 PM
No, I am very serious here. Every show like this on TV seems to feature avoiding the spouse in some capacity. I genuinely want to know if that's common.
Depends on how long you have been married:pop:

FirstandGoal
1/16/2008, 10:43 PM
Also, in the real world people have like jobs and can't spend all of their time hanging out together cause they have to earn a living.

A lot of them also have kids, which seriously cuts into the 'alone time'

But honestly, I am about the last person in the world who could claim to have any significant insights on what it takes to sustain a successful marriage, so nevermind. :P

stoopified
1/16/2008, 10:46 PM
I just marked my 8th anniversary.Take my advice and RUN!!! :D

phead903
1/16/2008, 10:48 PM
Also, in the real world people have like jobs and can't spend all of their time hanging out together cause they have to earn a living.

A lot of them also have kids, which seriously cuts into the 'alone time'

But honestly, I am about the last person in the world who could claim to have any significant insights on what it takes to sustain a successful marriage, so nevermind. :P

That probably fits quite a few of us on here, FnG!

Sic'em, sitcoms are just that - situational comedies - they are as much of a reflection of real married life as the "reality" shows on Mtv are a true reflection of teen age angst!

SicEmBaylor
1/16/2008, 10:50 PM
Yes, everyone, I know damned well not everything on TV is real. I was just wondering if there was a grain of truth at all that people hate spending time with their spouse.

FirstandGoal
1/16/2008, 11:06 PM
Serious question.

From what sitcom(s) did you get the impression that people hate to spend time with their spouses?

SicEmBaylor
1/16/2008, 11:08 PM
Serious question.

From what sitcom(s) did you get the impression that people hate to spend time with their spouses?

King of Queens. But I see it all the time.

It's really getting old actually, and I started thinking that maybe it's not uncommon for people to avoid being around their spouse.

OUinFLA
1/16/2008, 11:09 PM
Serious question.

probably Rosanne.

FirstandGoal
1/16/2008, 11:16 PM

It's really getting old actually, and I started thinking that maybe it's not uncommon for people to avoid being around their spouse.

Hmmm, never have seen this one, so I dunno

soonerhubs
1/16/2008, 11:16 PM
SicEm. Studies show that some folks get along great yet spend varied amounts of time together. So it simply depends on the couple.

The Everybody Loves Raymond episode where Ray and his wife are worried about having nothing to talk about is classic.

The more common phenomenon that took place in homes where husband works while the wife is home with the kids goes something like this:

Hubby's been to work all day and just want to unwind with a beer and catch up on sports. He's in no mood to talk because he talks all day at work.
Wifey on the other hand wants to talk because quite often shes deprived of an adult conversation being around the kids all day.
This right here is a common source of conflict, but again it simply depends on the structure of the home, the roles of the family, and the communication styles of each spouse.

FirstandGoal
1/16/2008, 11:17 PM
Maybe you need to find and watch some Mad About You episodes.

That show rawked.

Scott D
1/17/2008, 03:47 PM

well anyone who has to imagine that their spouse is related to Jerry Stiller would be in awful situations.

frankensooner
1/17/2008, 04:04 PM
Maybe you need to find and watch some Mad About You episodes.

That show rawked.

If by rawked you mean annoyed the h-e double hockey sticks out of frank, then yes, I agree.

Seriously though, SicEm when you get married and especially after you have kids all privacy is lost forever. My kids love to talk to me while I am using the facilities.

dolemitesooner
1/17/2008, 04:22 PM
Its a monster

Preservation Parcels
1/17/2008, 07:39 PM
We've been married 26 years, have nearly raised 4 terrific sons, and he still takes my breath away when he walks into the room. Neither of us wants to spend every waking moment with the other because getting out and doing/learning something separately makes getting back together even more interesting.

Find someone fascinating who shares your most important values and let her know you appreciate her. Overlook the things that really don't matter. You'll be fine.

OCUDad
1/17/2008, 08:22 PM
he still takes my breath away when he walks into the room. Get a restraining order. :D

Seriously, congratulations. We've been married 30 years, raised two great young adults, and she's even more wonderful than she was the day we got married.

OUinFLA
1/17/2008, 10:04 PM
Find someone fascinating who shares your most important values and let her know you appreciate her. Overlook the things that really don't matter. You'll be fine.

This is SicEm we are taling about !

He needs to find someone who can change a tire and jump start a car.
Oh, and thinks Branson is the ultimate honeymoon venue.

btw, the part of your post about being apart is insightful. I agree.