PDA

View Full Version : CFB HOF...which Sooners from 99-present?

Collier11
1/16/2008, 04:31 PM
Of the players Stoops has coached, who will end up in the CFB HOF? Here are my thoughts...

LOCKS:

Roy Williams
Won The Nagurski and Thorpe
Won a National Title
Owns School record for TFL by a DB
Big 12 Def Player of Year
Unanimous All American in 2001
2 Time 1st Team All Big 12
Has a Signature Moment, "Superman"

Rocky Calmus

Butkus Award Winner
2 Time Consensus All American
3 Time 1st Team All Big 12
2 Time Big 12 Def POY
Natl Title Winner

Jason White

Heisman Trophy Winner as Jr.
3rd place finish as Sr
2 Time Big 12 Off POY
2 Time 1st Team All Big 12
2 Time All American
Jim Thorpe Courage Award
Ap Player of Year
Davey Obrien Award
Johnny Unitas Award
Maxwell Award
Led OU to 2 BCS Natl Title Games as starter
Won Natl Title Fresh
Holds Nearly all OU passing records including yards and td's
27-4 as a starter

Adrian Peterson

Heisman Trophy Runner-up as a true freshman
3 Time 1st Team All Conf
Freshman Record for Rushing yds in a season
Ou record for Rushing yds in a season
AP All American as a Freshman
2nd All Time at Ou in Rushing Yds
Big 12 Freshman of the Year

Borderline

Duke Robinson-has a shot at being 3 time all american
Mark Clayton-Dominating College Receiver
Derick Strait-Definition of playmaking/shut-down Corner
Lehman-Butkus Winner and All American
Tommie Harris-Dominant and award winner, but never had amazing stats which may hurt him

Longshot

Heupel
Quentin Griffin
Davin Joseph
Trent Smith

Has a shot, but too early to tell

Bradford
English
Gresham
Granger
Mccoy

bri
1/16/2008, 04:36 PM
I don't think White's a lock for anything. He's gonna carry the stigma of his three title-game collapses for a long time. Hell, a lot of the nation still wants to take his Heisman back and give it to someone, anyone else.

Collier11
1/16/2008, 04:38 PM
I don't think White's a lock for anything. He's gonna carry the stigma of his three title-game collapses for a long time. Hell, a lot of the nation still wants to take his Heisman back and give it to someone, anyone else.

White is a lock!

tulsaoilerfan
1/16/2008, 04:40 PM
IMO Roy and Adrian are the only locks

Collier11
1/16/2008, 04:44 PM
2 games does not make a career, sure JW's legacy would be other-wordly had he won those two MNC's but he has done more than enough to make it to the CFB HOF!

Also, keep in mind that the only requirements are that you have been a 1st team All American once and you were a "good" person. Jason Whites battle back from injuries will also help him!

Collier11
1/16/2008, 04:52 PM
For comparisons sake, John elway is in the CFB HOF, while in college he NEVER had a winning season, NEVER went to a bowl game, NEVER won a Heisman, was a 2 time conf POY(same as Jason White) and 1 Time All American...Whites College Resume is much greater than his and Elway is in

SOONER STEAKER
1/16/2008, 05:02 PM
CFB HOF is hard to get into, just ask Barry Switzer.

Rocky Calmus should get in because he was a 2X Butkus Winner and 2X All American and a NC ring helps.

Jason White maybe not. A Heisman is not an automatic birth to get in but Doug Flutie got in o his Heisman so Jason has a good chance.

Roy Williams, doubtful, being Supreman doesn't make him HOF material.

Adrian Peterson was a great freshman, but his last 2 seasons weren't electric like his freshman season. Probably doesn't get in the CFB HOF. Canton seems a better fit for Adrian if he continues with seasons like this past one for Minnesota.

Tommie Harris would be a good pick for CFB HOF.

bri
1/16/2008, 05:09 PM
Ah, god how I love the typical football board poster. BEING OBJECTIVE IS FOR PUSSIES!!! :D

Octavian
1/16/2008, 05:12 PM
Adrian - easy choice.

Roy - one of the most dominating defensive players of the decade.

Calmus - outstanding college linebacker with the numbers and hardware to prove it.

White - amazing stats, great record, not disliked personally, Heisman Trophy....bet he gets in.

Collier11
1/16/2008, 05:16 PM
Ah, god how I love the typical football board poster. BEING OBJECTIVE IS FOR PUSSIES!!! :D

I was kind of thinking that you fell under that "typical" stratus :D

Collier11
1/16/2008, 05:18 PM
CFB HOF is hard to get into, just ask Barry Switzer.

Thats because as I said earlier, one of the requirements for being in the CFB HOF even though it isnt always follwed is being a "good person" or having a "good rep" as a person...

KingBarry
1/17/2008, 10:15 AM
Roy Williams is the only lock. The archetypal HOFer is someone that redefines their position in an entirely new way. Roy did that. Lucius Selmon did that before him. Tommie Harris also has a shot in this category.

Jason definitely deserves consideration, but w/o Elway's NFL cred it's a different deal. I'm not saying that it SHOULD be a different deal. I'm just saying that it is. Before KingBarry, the OTHER KingBarry, got in, we used to compare his resume to those that were already enshrined, and most of them can't hold his jock. That didn't mean it didn't take him a million years to get in, though.

Adrian Peterson may be the best of all those players listed, but really only played one season, and two half-seasons. I don't think i would put him in Canton, but I'd have to study the precedents to say yes or no for sure.

KingBarry
1/17/2008, 10:15 AM
Roy Williams is the only lock. The archetypal HOFer is someone that redefines their position in an entirely new way. Roy did that. Lucius Selmon did that before him. Tommie Harris also has a shot in this category.

Jason definitely deserves consideration, but w/o Elway's NFL cred it's a different deal. I'm not saying that it SHOULD be a different deal. I'm just saying that it is. Before KingBarry, the OTHER KingBarry, got in, we used to compare his resume to those that were already enshrined, and most of them can't hold his jock. That didn't mean it didn't take him a million years to get in, though.

Adrian Peterson may be the best of all those players listed, but really only played one season, and two half-seasons. I don't think i would put him in Canton, but I'd have to study the precedents to say yes or no for sure.

85sooners
1/17/2008, 12:04 PM
Roy Williams, doubtful, being Supreman doesn't make him HOF material.

. i beg to differ! http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xyj3C47CTIs

Boomer_Sooner_sax
1/17/2008, 01:09 PM
NATE HYBL!!!!!!!!!!!;)

goingoneight
1/17/2008, 11:19 PM
Rhett Bomar
J.D. Quinn
Jermaine Hardison
Cody Freeby
Brent Rawls

hink4769
1/18/2008, 12:20 AM
I think Roy and Tommie Harris should be locks IMO. They are unquestionably two of the best to play their respective positions over the last decade. I don't know about Duke because I don't really know squat evaluating offensive lineman, other than seeing when one has a particularly bad game by allowing sacks and getting holding penalties (cough loadholt cough). I'll let others do that. I would probably vote for Calmus too, but he's not as much of a lock as the other two. I think AD was injured too much, the HOF should be based on a body of work over a 3-4 year career. I would also say no to Jason White. He did have a great career, but to say he's one of the best college QB's ever is a bit of a stretch for me, especially thinking of those championship games. Just as a side note, comparing him to Elway is like comparing apples and oranges in terms of talent surrounding the QB. Elway's Stanford teams were BAD. White's OU teams were easily top-5 in the country in terms of talent level. You have to be an ultra-homer to really think White could have done much better on those mid-80s Stanford teams.