View Full Version : Owens & McGee pick OU

ruf/nekdad
1/16/2008, 07:47 AM
I can imagine what you guys are thinking, but Owens is a good kid caught up in a bad deal. They will be assets to the team.

http://www.muskogeephoenix.com/sports/local_story_016010941.html?keyword=topstory

swardboy
1/16/2008, 08:06 AM
Chalk it up to my naivity and crimson glasses, but why would a kid from the state of Oklahoma have such a hard time deciding between OU and ANY out of state institution that he has no knowledge of ?

IGotNoTiming
1/16/2008, 08:07 AM
I really can't see how annyone could rush to judge at this point. 18 year-olds are going to push back against convention- they are going to walk-the-line against authority. It's part of finding one's identity, or asserting one's independence. Everyone should expect that a percentage of these youths will cross the line of good judgement. Once they cross over to the university life the temptation to make bad decisions looms only larger. This staff however has displayed a very tough line with regards to player behavior and should be commended on how how it has handled these issues in the past. I am sure that players are beaten over the head by the coaches about making poor decisions and how their behavior reflects on the school.

freshchris05
1/16/2008, 08:14 AM
For McGee, bizarre was a bit more limited in scope. It was seeing his first tumbleweed — “one was up to my waist” — when he and Owens went to Texas Tech.

heh... good ol' lubbock

NYC Poke
1/16/2008, 08:21 AM
I hope he's learned his lesson now that any time he messes up it will be in the news. Better that it happened when it did, if he's able to learn from it.

MichiganSooner
1/16/2008, 08:49 AM
Saw them do their cap routine on TV last night. I think at a Muskogee High wrestling match; did not have much of a crowd. They were having fun with it. Welcome aboard.

To Schmidt: "Wow coach, that was a real good workout.

Schmitty: "that wasn't the workout; that was only the warm-up."

TheHumanAlphabet
1/16/2008, 09:55 AM
I really can't see how annyone could rush to judge at this point. 18 year-olds are going to push back against convention- they are going to walk-the-line against authority. It's part of finding one's identity, or asserting one's independence. Everyone should expect that a percentage of these youths will cross the line of good judgement. Once they cross over to the university life the temptation to make bad decisions looms only larger. This staff however has displayed a very tough line with regards to player behavior and should be commended on how how it has handled these issues in the past. I am sure that players are beaten over the head by the coaches about making poor decisions and how their behavior reflects on the school.

Yeah, my push back was facial hair. My Dad HATED facial hair. I made sure that it was untrimmed and as long as possible when I went home for the holidays...

oupride
1/16/2008, 05:45 PM
Posted: January 15, 2008, The Sporting News
MUSKOGEE, Okla. (AP) -- Wide receiver Jameel Owens, considered to be the state's top high school football recruit, announced Tuesday he intends to play for Oklahoma.

Owens and Muskogee High School teammate Stacy McGee, a defensive lineman, revealed their commitments to play for the Sooners prior to a wrestling match at the high school.

Owens, a 6-foot-3 receiver, had 59 catches for 994 yards and 10 touchdowns as a senior last season. He played in the U.S. Army All-American high school all-star game earlier this month.

McGee, who is 6-foot-5, had 98 tackles and six sacks in his senior season.

The commitments are not binding. The first day for high school seniors to sign letters of intent with colleges is Feb. 6.

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=337848

flopshotjoe99
1/16/2008, 06:28 PM
sounds like good news to me.:cool:

sooner2b09
1/16/2008, 06:33 PM
Good!

Whet
1/16/2008, 08:39 PM
Jameel's doobie drive in Knoxville may have been the best thing that happened to him.

He can use that issue to understand what is expected of him, as a Sooner....

StoopTroup
1/17/2008, 07:04 PM
When I heard about the incident, my first thought was that he would get his rear back here and sign with OU.

Sometimes things happen that show you the best path to take in life.

usmc-sooner
1/17/2008, 07:20 PM
Owens didn't do anything wrong, he wasn't charged with anything. It's not like a HS Sr. can control what a couple of college players had in their pocket.

birddog
1/17/2008, 09:27 PM
he could have yelled out, "I'M TELLIN'!"

Widescreen
1/18/2008, 01:26 AM
At least he didn't have to throw down a "Don't taze me, bro!"

KingDavid
1/18/2008, 01:59 PM
Easy to miss THIS (http://oklahoma.rivals.com/video.asp?section=fbrecruit&pkey=&vidtype=amp&vidid=2930) on rivals. I love it when an interior lineman is a wrestler in HS. They learn so much about leverage, all of the subtleties & movements that can give you even the tinyest of advantages.

My prediction is that this kid is going to be really, really special for us. I know he wants to play on the edge; but I'll bet 90 to nothin' that they beef him up and place him in OUr distinguished succession of lightning quick, powerful interior linemen that includes names like Selman, Harris, hopefully McCoy.

birddog
1/18/2008, 03:18 PM
yeah, mcgee is almost seen as an afterthought because he committed with owens. people need to realize that mcgee could be a really good player for us too. in all the interviews i've heard, jameel answers most of the questions and mcgee kind of stays out of the spotlight. seems like a down-to-earth kid.

hell, i just like the fact that they're in-staters.

Curly Bill
1/18/2008, 03:20 PM
Easy to miss THIS (http://oklahoma.rivals.com/video.asp?section=fbrecruit&pkey=&vidtype=amp&vidid=2930) on rivals. I love it when an interior lineman is a wrestler in HS. They learn so much about leverage, all of the subtleties & movements that can give you even the tinyest of advantages.

yep

76soonergrad
1/18/2008, 05:46 PM
yeah, mcgee is almost seen as an afterthought because he committed with owens. people need to realize that mcgee could be a really good player for us too. in all the interviews i've heard, jameel answers most of the questions and mcgee kind of stays out of the spotlight. seems like a down-to-earth kid.

hell, i just like the fact that they're in-staters.

Yup. And we really need to beef up defense.