PDA

View Full Version : Defense speculations & predictions.

KingDavid
1/16/2008, 02:52 AM
Migration from offense to DB - count on it: Ryan Broyles (if he doesn't go to jail, that is). Possibly Cory Wilson. Possibly Madu.
Box from LB to SS.
Holmes from Safety to CB.
Last minute "snag" of some JUCO CB or other top-flite national lock-down CB, if we're lucky.Thoughts? Other ideas?

KantoSooner
1/16/2008, 02:56 AM
Madu interests me. I have never seen him on tv or in person. Seems like a comer, but what is your take?

effay
1/16/2008, 03:47 AM
I have been waiting for them to move Madu to the secondary all year in anticipation of our current situation. I think he has done enough in scrimmages and mop-up duty to prove his athleticism, he has good size, and he would have a much better chance of getting on the field at some point in his career if he did. I also agree that Broyles could be moved to the secondary as well since the last thing we need right now are wideouts (think about it: Caleb, Chaney, Iglesias, Johnson, Stradford, Tennell, Jarboe, Owens, Broyles, Wilson, Miller & please God Jones).

Similarly, I have been waiting for them to move Keenan back to SS because of our predicament at safety. I always thought it was odd that the coaches benched him for missing one tackle (albeit pretty badly) and then moved him to OLB! Of all the places to put a guy who's tackling is in question! I really think that missed tackle was an anomaly though and I hope they let him compete for the SS job with Quinton Carter.

Holmes from FS to corner should be almost certain. He really needs next year at his future NFL position to increase his draft stock, plus it makes sense for the team.

I think the chances that Box ever moves to SS are very very small though. He's already got OLB written all over him at 6-2 222. Plus, from the scrimmages and tape I've seen he doesn't look like he has safety speed for the college game.

I think that our secondary turns out with: Lendy Holmes, Brian Jackson, Dominique Franks, and, if they let him compete for the SS job, Keenan Clayton or Quinton Carter if they don't.

The possibilities for MLB are endless:

Mike Reed - Apparently he's had family issues and has gone underground for the year. I don't even know if he's still in school or on scholly and I wish someone could update me on his situation. In any case, he needs to loose some weight from when I saw him last - he looked like he was pushing 260 and I'm sure a year out of football hasn't helped in that department. Also, as everyone knows, one of the reasons he lost out to Lofton in the first place was because he couldn't pick up the system, so that's still an issue as well.

Lamont Robinson - He practices at MLB and he was a fairly good recruit, but he needs weight if he wants to play in the middle. I would guess he's only around 225 right now. That's not going to cut it.

Austin Box - I think they really want him as an OLB in the future, plus he isn't big enough right now.

Travis Lewis - I have seen the most talk about Lewis getting the nod and I agree that it is most likely. Has fairly decent size (comparatively) at around 230 and reportedly has good speed.

Ryan Reynolds - I've seen people speculate that we might move Reynolds inside and put Box outside. If this happens, plan for Armageddon based on how Reynolds has played the run last year and his bum knee.

J. R. Bryant - There is speculation that we will get this kid out of Garden City now. I don't know much about him other than he's listed as a 228 pound OLB which doesn't look good on paper.

Jeremy Beal - Hey they brought him in with prospects of playing him at MLB which vanished when he showed up with 260 pounds on him. Nevertheless, he's played well at end, so if the coaches get desperate it's conceivable that he could cut some weight and play MLB

Lynn Katoa, Jon Major & Arthur Brown - You never know. Here's to hoping.

KingDavid
1/16/2008, 04:34 AM
Madu interests me. I have never seen him on tv or in person. Seems like a comer, but what is your take?

He definitely has the hips to turn and the size to hit. Not sure about the speed to cover a deep threat.

KingDavid
1/16/2008, 04:36 AM
Clayton to safety is likely, I agree. Good points on LB and Box, too.

KingDavid
1/16/2008, 04:50 AM
Would be great if we could get in on someone like TJ Bryant (http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=52730&Sport=1), last minute.

Rhino
1/16/2008, 12:08 PM
I don't see Broyles moving to the other side of the ball. They like him too much on offense. Stradford, maybe. Wilson or Madu, possibly. Madu won't be switching positions until at least the summer though, if he does at all.

Clayton may still have a shot at SS, but he's been playing at SLB some. Carter is supposedly the favorite at SS, but if we can land Sims, maybe not.

The coaches like Box at LB. I doubt he moves.

sooneron
1/16/2008, 12:13 PM
Isn't Mossis our only RB (with any exp) that is not injured right now? Yeah, I don't see him moving unless JC is a world beater from the jump.

zeke
1/16/2008, 12:28 PM
I dont see Madu moving to defense. I've read that D. Murray's injury is worse than first thought and he might not be back for the first games this year. I see Madu getting the ball.

Rhino
1/16/2008, 12:31 PM
Isn't Mossis our only RB (with any exp) that is not injured right now? Yeah, I don't see him moving unless JC is a world beater from the jump. Yep. Madu and Justin Johnson will get most of the workload this spring, so there's no way Madu is switching positions in the near future.

jkm
1/16/2008, 12:32 PM
by god, we'd better have a running back that can pass block next year...

BillyBall
1/16/2008, 12:38 PM
I've read that D. Murray's injury is worse than first thought and he might not be back for the first games this year.

Link?

Soonermajik was saying that in another thread but I would love to read it...

Dan Thompson
1/16/2008, 03:21 PM
When can the team members all come together for the first time in 2008?

madillsoonerfan5353
1/16/2008, 05:38 PM
Yep. Madu and Justin Johnson will get most of the workload this spring, so there's no way Madu is switching positions in the near future.

I heard that Johnson was coming in as a LB. I think they said that during the ARMY game.

snp
1/16/2008, 06:21 PM
I heard that Johnson was coming in as a LB. I think they said that during the ARMY game.

No. This is like the billionth time this has been covered. I understand many people don't follow recruiting and just go by what Rivals says but it is wrong. Like Rhino said, we will only have 2 scholarship RBs in the Spring - Madu and JJ. JJ will be given every opportunity to prove himself at RB first.

madillsoonerfan5353
1/16/2008, 06:52 PM
No. This is like the billionth time this has been covered. I understand many people don't follow recruiting and just go by what Rivals says but it is wrong. Like Rhino said, we will only have 2 scholarship RBs in the Spring - Madu and JJ. JJ will be given every opportunity to prove himself at RB first.

Cool! Thanks for the info!!!