PDA

View Full Version : Schedule Complete! 2008

Collier11
1/16/2008, 12:32 AM
Everyone get jacked up for....Chattanooga! Normally I would hate this but seeing how many defensive starters we are breaking in and the fact that we play 10 win Cincy, Tcu, and @ Washington who could be improved...I really dont mind it. We were the only Big 12 School this year to not go to 1AA so I guess it was bound to happen.
http://soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/okla-m-footbl-sched.html

Collier11
1/16/2008, 12:35 AM
They were 2-9 last year so this could be alot like North Texas...oh well, it worked for Ohio state so we can roll with it

goingoneight
1/16/2008, 12:45 AM
maybe we should play...

Arkansas State
Missouri State
Tenn-Chatanooga
Sam Houston State
Baylor...

... then ROLL into Dallas!!! :D

Seriously, I have a bad feeling about next season, and I don't mean 'lose your BCS Bowl' bad feeling, I mean major FUBAR feeling. Like the major FUBAR that showed up against UAB and got torched by Oregon and Washington. We lost a lot of talent we were going to need to live up to the top-five status we were rewarded.

Now rumors of Murray not being ready, Granger maybe dismissed. Could be a rough start to 2008.

Collier11
1/16/2008, 12:47 AM
maybe we should play...

Arkansas State
Missouri State
Tenn-Chatanooga
Sam Houston State
Baylor...

... then ROLL into Dallas!!! :D

Seriously, I have a bad feeling about next season, and I don't mean 'lose your BCS Bowl' bad feeling, I mean major FUBAR feeling. Like the major FUBAR that showed up against UAB and got torched by Oregon and Washington. We lost a lot of talent we were going to need to live up to the top-five status we were rewarded.

Now rumors of Murray not being ready, Granger maybe dismissed. Could be a rough start to 2008.

I think it wont be as bad as you think...reggie was a big loss but weve been hearing about Franks, Jackson, Nelson, etc. for a while now so I have confidence that one of them will step up. DM will be fine but if his progress is slowed, we have plenty of really good backs. I am worried about the road games as usual but I think we will be fine, next year could be alot like this year where the diff between 11-3 and 13-0 is one or two plays

jccouger
1/16/2008, 01:01 AM
I have the same gut feeling goingoneight.

jccouger
1/16/2008, 01:08 AM
Double-stuffed post

illinisooner
1/16/2008, 01:25 AM
Maybe Terrell Owens will come for the UT-Chat game

DangTire
1/16/2008, 01:26 AM
The loss of talent on the defensive side of the ball is alarming. Being ranked in the top 5 is a gift at this point. This could get very very ugly.

Crucifax Autumn
1/16/2008, 01:35 AM
I prefer to wait until next year to pass judgement, but I don't have a problem playing a weak team with all the losses we've had lately.

But I DO think Demarco will be fine.

Blue
1/16/2008, 01:51 AM
Schedule looks pretty nice to me. KU at home, only @ a&m (new coach). @ osu. @ksu possibly the toughest road game.

Crucifax Autumn
1/16/2008, 01:53 AM
Oh, I think it favors us...I'm just glad we didn't pick up USC or someone for games where we'll be getting players settled in.

Collier11
1/16/2008, 02:31 AM
I think once the season gets closer(barring any unforeseen losses or injuries) you guys will settle down and remember that this is still OU, we are still coached by Bob Stoops, and he is the master at motivating teams that are second guessed!

Now, if he could only figure out how to win with more talent! ;)

OUmillenium
1/16/2008, 11:59 AM
If our coaches have only 1 month to prepare for our 2008 opener, I think we are in trouble.

Otherwise, we'll be fine!

TheUnnamedSooner
1/16/2008, 12:08 PM
I'm worried about Wash. OU hasn't played well away from Norman in recent years and Wash has been improving each year, it will be a tough game.

The_Red_Patriot
1/16/2008, 12:21 PM
Oh god....TCU....Not TCU

TMcGee86
1/16/2008, 12:27 PM
Dont really like the Kansas game being post OU/TX, but oh well, at least is it at home.

SOONER STEAKER
1/16/2008, 12:30 PM
I think with the loss of Smith, Kelly & Lofton will allow Bob & his staff to really coach up the boys. I think our staff coaches it's best when our backs are against the wall just like when we lost some key players two seasons ago.

Don't underestimate a staff of coaches who now have something to prove with all the bad press they have received via internet chat boards, newspapers, talk shows and national magazines.

I foresee this team coming out strong with something to prove and some of these guys may have some feet sticking out of their behinds.

BOOMER SOONER BABY

Salt City Sooner
1/16/2008, 01:37 PM
Dont really like the Kansas game being post OU/TX, but oh well, at least is it at home.
This isn't the Switzer era anymore. OU games following the RRS under Stoops:

'99- OU 51 A&M 6
'00- OU 41 @ KSU 31
'01- OU 38 @ KU 10
'02- OU 49 ISU 3
'03- OU 34 MU 13
'04- OU 31 @ KSU 21
'05- OU 19 KU 3 (@ Arrowhead)
'06- OU 34 ISU 9
'07- OU 41 MU 31

So, by my count, that would be a 9-0 record, with an average score of 37.6 to 14.1, with no game closer than 10 points. Still feel that way? ;)

Collier11
1/16/2008, 01:46 PM
This isn't the Switzer era anymore. OU games following the RRS under Stoops:

'99- OU 51 A&M 6
'00- OU 41 @ KSU 31
'01- OU 38 @ KU 10
'02- OU 49 ISU 3
'03- OU 34 MU 13
'04- OU 31 @ KSU 21
'05- OU 19 KU 3 (@ Arrowhead)
'06- OU 34 ISU 9
'07- OU 41 MU 31

So, by my count, that would be a 9-0 record, with an average score of 37.6 to 14.1, with no game closer than 10 points. Still feel that way? ;)

but we lost MK, Lofton, and Reggie, we may only win 6 games this year?

:D

OKC-SLC
1/16/2008, 02:06 PM
Seriously, I have a bad feeling about next season, and I don't mean 'lose your BCS Bowl' bad feeling, I mean major FUBAR feeling. Like the major FUBAR that showed up against UAB and got torched by Oregon and Washington.
What are you referring to about Ore and UW? We didn't get torched by Oregon, and we beat UW when we played them a couple years ago didn't we?

I understand the concerns on defense, but I think offense is going to be a real strength for us. We need to improve the run blocking, for sure.

SteelClip49
1/16/2008, 02:07 PM
it sure does suck having to play a 1AA team; thought OU would be the only XII team above scheduling 1AA teams. Of course, it could be the result of having 1A teams backing out or what not but still, why 1AA? We need to schedule like USC; they play @Virginia and host Ohio State. They always play Notre Dame and no matter how bad ND is, it's still Notre Dame.

I would like to see Oklahoma and Arkansas go at it on a regular basis.

Sooner_Bob
1/16/2008, 02:09 PM
Can the 2008 team actually play a game before we condemn the season?

Collier11
1/16/2008, 02:09 PM
What are you referring to about Ore and UW? We didn't get torched by Oregon, and we beat UW when we played them a couple years ago didn't we?

I understand the concerns on defense, but I think offense is going to be a real strength for us. We need to improve the run blocking, for sure.

Its January and we just lost another BCS game, everyone is freaking out!

Blues1
1/16/2008, 02:22 PM
I Like our Schedule....!!! - TCU -Washington - Are no Gimmies - Baylor before the texas game is also different - Lets Enjoy 2008 & Keep on Rockin'

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/16/2008, 02:34 PM
Dammit, why can't we play at Chattanooga *Winks*. The Sooners really need to come east. I've heard a rumor that the Shamecocks are under contract or something like that to play us in 2009. Any merit to that?

TheUnnamedSooner
1/16/2008, 02:36 PM
I would like to see Oklahoma and Arkansas go at it on a regular basis.

Screw that. I don't want to have to put up with Arky fans on a regular basis.

Collier11
1/16/2008, 02:36 PM
Dammit, why can't we play at Chattanooga :p. The Sooners really need to come east. I've heard a rumor that the Shamecocks are under contract or something like that to play us in 2009. Any merit to that?

not that ive heard and it isnt discussed at soonerstats.com

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2008, 02:48 PM
Screw that. I don't want to have to put up with Arky fans on a regular basis.

Word...Had all I wanted at the Cotton Bowl in 02

goingoneight
1/16/2008, 11:21 PM

Even though we *should* have won the Oregon game, I think if you look back to both the Washington and Oregon games, neither on was good and really gave us a scare until a late spark by Malcom Kelly and AD in both games. And yes... Oregon TORCHED us. Not as bad as WVU did, but they made it look easy against OUr defense.

Paperclip
1/16/2008, 11:30 PM
Dammit, why can't we play at Chattanooga *Winks*. The Sooners really need to come east. I've heard a rumor that the Shamecocks are under contract or something like that to play us in 2009. Any merit to that?

http://www.soonersports.com/ot/future_football_schedules.html

SOONERxWife73
1/17/2008, 01:50 PM
pleezz it's gonna be a great season. if you have queasy tummy syndrome try the pepto bismol til august. after august, however, you may have to switch to the imodium ad. just saying.

insuranceman_22
1/17/2008, 03:11 PM

They weren't so bad to me, I just don't want anymore of that weather.....cold & windy!

oudivesherpa
1/23/2008, 04:54 PM

I used to live just outside of Chattanooga, it's a great town. And if OU traveled to Chattanooga, it would be their first home game sell out.
30,000 OU fans and 2,000 Chattanooga Fans.

Tear Down This Wall
1/24/2008, 02:55 PM
Worthless. Playing games versus I-AA's is completely worthless. Our athletic director is an idiot. There's no way on God's green earth this was the only team that we could schedule. F'n idiotic to the core.

Almost as stupid as scheduling North Texas and Utah State in the same season. Beating crappy teams doesn't prove a damn thing. Scheduling two in one season is gross.

Get some mid-major that occassionally upsets BCS schools like Colorado State, or Troy State, etc. to play.

You know damn well they'd do it. But, you also know damn well our athletic director won't. F'n idiot.

Tennessee-Chattanooga...what a freaking joke.

colleyvillesooner
1/24/2008, 03:07 PM
Isn't it actually better for our SOS to have a 1-AA team than a bottom of the barrel 1-A team like last year, as far as the BCS computers are concerned?

It's not like we're the first team to ever do this.

r5TPsooner
1/24/2008, 03:21 PM
Why not just schedule UCO?

oudivesherpa
1/24/2008, 04:47 PM
Worthless. Playing games versus I-AA's is completely worthless. Our athletic director is an idiot. There's no way on God's green earth this was the only team that we could schedule. F'n idiotic to the core.

Almost as stupid as scheduling North Texas and Utah State in the same season. Beating crappy teams doesn't prove a damn thing. Scheduling two in one season is gross.

Get some mid-major that occassionally upsets BCS schools like Colorado State, or Troy State, etc. to play.

You know damn well they'd do it. But, you also know damn well our athletic director won't. F'n idiot.

Tennessee-Chattanooga...what a freaking joke.

One cream puff at the start of the season is a good idea--however, two like North Texas and Utah State hurts a team--you start looking like Kansas or Ohio State's non-conference schedule. Come to think of it, it didn't hurt KU or tOSU BCS rankings.

Tear Down This Wall
1/24/2008, 05:19 PM
Unless some contracts were done in the last week or so, these schools all had dates open on August 30th or September 20th, our "open" dates:

Air Force, 9/20
Alabama-Brimingham, 9/20
Arkansas, 8/30
Arkansas State, 9/20
Army, 8/30
Boise State, 8/30
Boston College, 9/20
BYU, 9/20
Central Florida, 9/20
E. Carolina, 9/20
Central Michigan, 8/30
Eastern Michigan, 9/20
Florida State, 8/30
Idaho, 9/20
Indiana, 8/30
Kent State, 8/30 and 9/20
Louisiana Tech, 9/20
Louisiana-Monroe, 9/20
Memphis, 9/20
Middle Tennessee State, 8/30 and 9/20
Nevada-Las Vegas, 8/30
New Mexico State, 8/30
North Carolina State, 9/20
Rutgers, 8/30
San Jose State, 8/30
SMU, 8/30
Troy, 8/30
Tulane, 8/30 and 9/20
Virginia, 9/20
Virginia Tech, 9/20
Western Michigan, 9/20

But, are we playing any of these perfectly good I-A (or whatever the hell is the jackasses call it now) schools? NO! We're reaching down the Tennessee-Chattanooga for some idiotic reason.

Give the season ticket holders some value, you idiots! If we want to see a scrimmage, we'll go to the damn Red-White game in the spring. Don't give me this ole bullsh!t, Dorn! Give me a game to watch on August 30th or September 20th that is worth my season ticket dollar.

Jackasses.

toast
1/24/2008, 05:27 PM
Unless some contracts were done in the last week or so, these schools all had dates open on August 30th or September 20th, our "open" dates:

Air Force, 9/20
Alabama-Brimingham, 9/20
Arkansas, 8/30
Arkansas State, 9/20
Army, 8/30
Boise State, 8/30
Boston College, 9/20
BYU, 9/20
Central Florida, 9/20
E. Carolina, 9/20
Central Michigan, 8/30
Eastern Michigan, 9/20
Florida State, 8/30
Idaho, 9/20
Indiana, 8/30
Kent State, 8/30 and 9/20
Louisiana Tech, 9/20
Louisiana-Monroe, 9/20
Memphis, 9/20
Middle Tennessee State, 8/30 and 9/20
Nevada-Las Vegas, 8/30
New Mexico State, 8/30
North Carolina State, 9/20
Rutgers, 8/30
San Jose State, 8/30
SMU, 8/30
Troy, 8/30
Tulane, 8/30 and 9/20
Virginia, 9/20
Virginia Tech, 9/20
Western Michigan, 9/20

But, are we playing any of these perfectly good I-A (or whatever the hell is the jackasses call it now) schools? NO! We're reaching down the Tennessee-Chattanooga for some idiotic reason.

Give the season ticket holders some value, you idiots! If we want to see a scrimmage, we'll go to the damn Red-White game in the spring. Don't give me this ole bullsh!t, Dorn! Give me a game to watch on August 30th or September 20th that is worth my season ticket dollar.

Jackasses.

did those teams have open dates and only 11 games? or did they already have their full limit of 12 and those were their bye weeks?

BIG_IKE
1/24/2008, 06:09 PM
Isn't it actually better for our SOS to have a 1-AA team than a bottom of the barrel 1-A team like last year, as far as the BCS computers are concerned?

It's not like we're the first team to ever do this.
Tennessee-Chatanooga????

Any team that Baylor can have an off day and beat is someone we dont need to play.

I think Washington is gonna be a sleeper team. Look at the schedule they played in 2007 and the teams highest ranking during the season. Sure they lost most of these games, but I guarantee you it made them tougher.

@ Syracuse
vs. Boise State
vs. Ohio State
at UCLA
vs/ USC #2
at Arizona State
vs. Oregon
vs. Arizona
at Stanford
at Oregon State
vs. Cal
vs. Washington State
at Hawaii

Bold teams were Top 10 teams at some point.
No to mention playing Boise State and Oregon St. two 9 and 10 win teams.
Washington's Non-Conference schedule of Syracuse, Ohio State, Hawaii and Boises State is pretty impressive.

Collier11
1/24/2008, 06:14 PM
We are the only Big 12 team to not play a 1AA team last year, we have not played one since Stoops first year I believe, we have a 10 win Cincinnati, a young and talented (and dangerous) Washington team, and a always dangerous TCU team...playing a creampuff is what we need, just not 2 like last year

Indy Sooner
1/24/2008, 10:57 PM

And I am old enough (probably in the minority here) to still be reeling from the '78 Orange Bowl...

Ash
1/24/2008, 11:41 PM
Every game is a playoff game in college football. Tenn-Chattanooga will be an epic contest we will never forget.

Collier11
1/25/2008, 11:40 AM
Every game is a playoff game in college football.

Then why wasnt LSU out of the "playoff" when they lost twice as the #1 team???

STIRRING THE POT! :D

JLEW1818
1/25/2008, 12:44 PM
A win is a win a loss is a loss EXCEPT IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!!

cvsooner
1/25/2008, 12:45 PM
We are the only Big 12 team to not play a 1AA team last year, we have not played one since Stoops first year I believe, we have a 10 win Cincinnati, a young and talented (and dangerous) Washington team, and a always dangerous TCU team...playing a creampuff is what we need, just not 2 like last year

If Cincy's stud QB gets a sixth year of eligibility, they will be very dangerous, even in Norman. Washington will be better than last season and it's a road game, and TCU--'nuff said. I have no qualms about playing Tenn-Chatt for the first game, and having a bye week in all of that. It's probably really god for scheduling, in the long run.

JLEW1818
1/25/2008, 12:49 PM
If we cant beat cincy, wash, tcu, we are not a NC team. End of story. Yes it is a "harder" preseason then others.

Collier11
1/25/2008, 12:50 PM
If we cant beat cincy, wash, tcu, we are not a NC team. End of story. Yes it is a "harder" preseason then others.

Thank You Captain Obvious!

JLEW1818
1/25/2008, 12:59 PM
Nice drop. At least the computers will like us this year if we win all pre-conference games. The computer rankings never ranked us high last year. The harris and AP kept us in it. Cincy Wash and TCU would all be 500%teams if in the big 12. It should pay off.

OU-HSV
1/26/2008, 11:51 AM
I doubt we will see teams in the NC next season with more than one loss. PERIOD. This year was a fluke of a year IMO.

JLEW1818
1/26/2008, 09:27 PM
I think it was a fluke too, but this year was great. So many good Thursday night games going on that had a say on what happen to OU. I hope there will be some good games on this year on Thursday and even Friday. It is fun to start at about 5-7 and work your way up in the rankings. The only bad thing about that is , the 04-05 season (ask auburn). If this year was not a fluke the game of college football has changed forever.

LittleWingSooner
1/26/2008, 09:31 PM
What is so special about TCU, Washington, and Cinn this year? None of those teams were anything special. And Cinn loses their QB. If we aren't undefeated going into Texas we don't deserve to be in the NC race or any type of race.

The schedule next year looks easier on paper.

JLEW1818
1/26/2008, 09:37 PM
I would say this years schedule is more challenging, and yes we should be undefeated going in against Texas. Sh*T happens tho.

LittleWingSooner
1/26/2008, 09:40 PM
[QUOTE=jlew1818]I would say this years schedule is more challenging, and yes we should be undefeated going in against Texas. Sh*T happens tho.[/QUOTE

Road games are against Washington, Baylor, Kansas State, Texas A&M, and Okie Lite.

Washington was probably the worst team in the PAC 10 last year. Baylor is the worst team in the South. Kansas State is average at best. Texas A&M is average. Oklahoma State loses their best RB, but they'll be fine there. They aren't good at WR. We'll torch their defense.

JLEW1818
1/26/2008, 09:44 PM
Them aggies always play us hard at there place. Are pre conference is harder then last year.

Collier11
1/26/2008, 10:00 PM
What is so special about TCU, Washington, and Cinn this year? None of those teams were anything special. And Cinn loses their QB. If we aren't undefeated going into Texas we don't deserve to be in the NC race or any type of race.

The schedule next year looks easier on paper.

we dont have to play usc, florida, and ohio st for it to be considered a good non-con schedule...sure, we should beat all teams but cincy is a 10 win team and their qb is applying for a 6th year, tcu is tcu, and wash was very close to being a decent team last year and they are very young and talented

LittleWingSooner
1/26/2008, 10:07 PM
Them aggies always play us hard at there place. Are pre conference is harder then last year.

Okay maybe Cincy is tougher if they get their QB back I didn't know he was applying for another year. They were decent this year which is better than our other non conference last year. TCU isn't as good as they were even a couple years ago when they beat us. Washington isn't any good. Of course the aa team should be an easy win. I would say it's about the same as last year or maybe a little better. Not a big difference though.

Looking at conference play. We don't play Missouri or Colorado who could be the best 2 teams in the North. Kansas is still going to be good but they lose a lot of their players and the game is in Norman. Texas and OSU are probably the 2 games we need to worry about. We should win all the other games easily.

OU-HSV
1/26/2008, 10:18 PM
Okay maybe Cincy is tougher if they get their QB back I didn't know he was applying for another year. They were decent this year which is better than our other non conference last year. TCU isn't as good as they were even a couple years ago when they beat us. Washington isn't any good. Of course the aa team should be an easy win. I would say it's about the same as last year or maybe a little better. Not a big difference though.

Looking at conference play. We don't play Missouri or Colorado who could be the best 2 teams in the North. Kansas is still going to be good but they lose a lot of their players and the game is in Norman. Texas and OSU are probably the 2 games we need to worry about. We should win all the other games easily.
Actually, I think KU was a young team this year. They're gonna be tough next year again I bet. However they did lose that Talib dude, he was a stud DB for them.
http://kuathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/kan-m-footbl-mtt.html

LittleWingSooner
1/26/2008, 10:26 PM
They lose Talib, McAnderson at RB, they lose Derek Fine at TE, Marcus Henry at WR, that's 2 of their top 3 receivers, and they will lose their kicker and punter. They'll still be good next year. It's not like I'm saying this year was a fluke. But that game is in Norman and we are better than they are. We'll win that game comfortably.

OU-HSV
1/27/2008, 12:19 AM
They lose Talib, McAnderson at RB, they lose Derek Fine at TE, Marcus Henry at WR, that's 2 of their top 3 receivers, and they will lose their kicker and punter. They'll still be good next year. It's not like I'm saying this year was a fluke. But that game is in Norman and we are better than they are. We'll win that game comfortably.
I'm just gonna say I'm glad that one is in Norman. We should be a better team then, but you just never know anymore. So playing them in the Fock is good news.

Ever
1/27/2008, 02:29 PM
I thought we were playing Miami this year...?

Salt City Sooner
1/27/2008, 03:16 PM
That's in '09.

The VIIIth
1/27/2008, 06:28 PM
And I am old enough (probably in the minority here) to still be reeling from the '78 Orange Bowl...

Feel your pain brother...I will never forget Roland Sales or that godawful whoapigsoooie chant that never seemed to frickin' end that night...miserable game.

South Beach was not South Beach then either...the New Year's Eve party in our hotel started at 7:00 and ended at 10:00. When we checked in, we dropped the median age of the hotel to about 86.5 years old...I was 21 at the time.

Yeah, the King dropped a few on us in the post season, just like Bob has. You can lay that egg directly on Barry's lap. That was a National title in the bag if we win that game, no if or and's, win and Title number 6 is on the Press Box wall.