PDA

View Full Version : LSU and Team of the '00s Race

Octavian
1/15/2008, 07:00 PM
The NC Game was huge for Team of the Decade status.

'00 - Oklahoma

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4318/05a18d61032210f0d246b98ss5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

'01 - Miami

http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/9453/larrycoker2gx5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

'02 - Ohio St.

http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/1520/poyfiestaah5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

'03 - LSU

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/31/untitledin6.png (http://imageshack.us)

'04 - USC

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/3691/2105heisman4gb0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

'05 - Texas

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2429/0108vincegi7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

'06 - Florida

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/794/6349078181np0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

…and once again,

’07 - LSU

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/8945/ncfimiles300eu6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

LSU becomes the first 2-time BCS champion of the ’00 Decade…and the entire BCS era.

Pretty surprising that it's them. But is LSU the new Miami? Loads of talent. Former OkSt. coach as their second winner in five years? Always gets their NC Games at home?

Sure seems like it.

Harry Beanbag
1/15/2008, 07:18 PM
Yeah, I'd say we're in fourth place for Team of the Decade....and dropping with every embarassing bowl loss.

insuranceman_22
1/15/2008, 07:56 PM
Well lsu has to #1, but the buckeye and Sooner have won one each and played in two others....... (I'm choosing to look at this positively and with only BCS titles counting)

jccouger
1/15/2008, 07:59 PM
I'd put us tied for 3rd with tOSU right now behind USC and LSU.

StormySooner-IN
1/15/2008, 08:09 PM
I have to agree.
The top 4 teams each year since '00 are: OU, tOSU, LSU, USC(no order...minus bad bowl games)

Jmorales22
1/15/2008, 09:08 PM

I agree. FWIW if OU were to win the NC next year, they'd be vaulted to #1 imo. LSU has two of them but OU would match that while also having played in two more. And LSU is extremely lucky they have gotten the chance in both seasons, especially this one. Sure they're talented, but playing in the SEC I think it's going to be very hard for them to keep bringing home NCs. Just look at all the freak things that had to happen this year for a 2 loss LSU team to make it into the title game. And this LSU team could have lost 4 games or more if not for some late-game heroics.

LSUdeek
1/15/2008, 09:38 PM
If USC wins another, they will take the top spot. I'd really put them there right now, to be honest.

I can't see this continuing much longer, especially not after Reggiegate.

CU Sooner
1/15/2008, 09:55 PM
When you talk of team of decade you have to remember the first half. Except for the MNC there is not much there for the tigers. 4 and 5 loss seasons are worse than 4 BCS losses. All 4 of LSU's BCS games are homes games also, OU has 6, two of them being road games. I'd have to say sc is the team legaly or not and then the next three are tied between OU, tOSU, and LSU. Of those 4 i would say that sc and lsu have unfair advantages in that usually they have a home game if they are in the BCS and a 1 in 4 shot of a home game for the MNC.

SoonerShark
1/15/2008, 10:22 PM
Well lsu has to #1, but the buckeye and Sooner have won one each and played in two others....... (I'm choosing to look at this positively and with only BCS titles counting)

Of course, we were only embarassed once in a NC game. And while we got Boise State the Buckeyes got to play O-State in a bowl game.

SoonerShark
1/15/2008, 10:28 PM
If we were able to play two of our losing NC games in Oklahoma City we would have three NCs. If Ohio State played two of its losing NC games in Cleveland they would have three. If LSU played its NC games in OKC or Cleveland they would have O this decade. OU and USC won games in Florida, far from home, but OU played a local team in 2000, which put it at a serious disadvantage.

AlabamaSooner
1/15/2008, 10:34 PM
If we were able to play two of our losing NC games in Oklahoma City we would have three NCs. If Ohio State played two of its losing NC games in Cleveland they would have three. If LSU played its NC games in OKC or Cleveland they would have O this decade. OU and USC won games in Florida, far from home, but OU played a local team in 2000, which put it at a serious disadvantage.

Easy solution...build a dome in OKC! ;)

BIG_IKE
1/15/2008, 10:43 PM
Actually...

If OU or Texas wins another one I'd say them. OU and Texas have more wins than any other teams named in this thread and each have one national title.

Octavian
1/15/2008, 10:47 PM
Good points all. As for OU....

In the '00s, OU still has...

the most wins in the country: 90

1. Oklahoma - 90
2. Texas - 85
3. LSU - 82

the best winning % of any BCS conference team: .844

1. Oklahoma - .844
2. Texas - .833
3. Ohio St. - .801

2nd most conference championships: 5

1. USC - 6
2. Oklahoma - 5
3. Ohio St. - 4

the most BCS appearances: 6 (tied w/ USC)

1. USC - 6
2. Oklahoma - 6
3. Ohio St. - 5

the most BCS National Title Game appearances: 3 (tied w/ tOSU)

1. Oklahoma - 3
2. Ohio St. - 3
3. LSU/USC - 2

It'll take another championship, but we're not far off. We need some new magic.

Jacie
1/16/2008, 07:07 AM
Enjoy the problem of whether OU should be ranked at the bottom or the middle or the top of the TOP 7 TEAMS THIS DECADE.

yermom
1/16/2008, 09:15 AM
i believe tOSU has 6 BCS appearances as well

i know you guys choose to ignore the 2003 AP title, but i'd still put USC above LSU at this point

dougsooner
1/16/2008, 09:35 AM
USC claiming the AP title as something to brag about was and always will be a sad embarassment for them. They play a terrible Michigan team, at HOME, while the BCS championship game was against two top teams. Not equal and not deserving!

NDN_Soonerfan
1/16/2008, 12:05 PM
Do we still have to talk about what happened after the 03' Title game. It's over besides i really only consider LSU the champion anyway that year.

Octavian
1/16/2008, 12:16 PM
i believe tOSU has 6 BCS appearances as well

That's true....overall, tOSU is 4-2 in BCS games.

But only 5 of those came in the '00 Decade. Their first BCS appearance (Sugar Bowl victory over A&M) came in 1998.

yermom
1/16/2008, 01:02 PM
ahh, ok.

F them then ;)

Octavian
1/16/2008, 01:37 PM
ahh, ok.

F them then ;)

exactly :D

nah, I'd give the nod to Southern Cal at this point too....just not bc of the '03 AP award. Don't wanna get in all that again, but that claim gets weaker and weaker the further away we get because the BCS remains intact and its still the only "split" in the BCS era.

USC has a great case for #1 bc they've had a 34 game winning streak, 3 Heisman winners, and 5 BCS wins. Just more consistent than LSU.

We're not far off though....just would be nice to get another one.

SteelClip49
1/16/2008, 02:19 PM
1. USC
2. tOSU
3. OU
4. LSU
5. Texas
6. Miami
7. Florida
8. West Va
9. UGA
10. Boise

LSUdeek
1/16/2008, 08:20 PM
1. USC
2. tOSU
3. OU
4. LSU
5. Texas
6. Miami
7. Florida
8. West Va
9. UGA
10. Boise

I would put USC #1 but I don't see how a pair of teams that LSU beat straight up in national championship games can be ranked above them.

When you talk of team of decade you have to remember the first half. Except for the MNC there is not much there for the tigers. 4 and 5 loss seasons are worse than 4 BCS losses. All 4 of LSU's BCS games are homes games also, OU has 6, two of them being road games. I'd have to say sc is the team legaly or not and then the next three are tied between OU, tOSU, and LSU. Of those 4 i would say that sc and lsu have unfair advantages in that usually they have a home game if they are in the BCS and a 1 in 4 shot of a home game for the MNC.

Oklahoma has had a 5 loss season and tOSU has had 4 and 5 loss seasons this decade.

Harry Beanbag
1/16/2008, 08:33 PM
I would put USC #1 but I don't see how a pair of teams that LSU beat straight up in national championship games can be ranked above them.

Agreed

Oklahoma has had a 5 loss season and tOSU has had 4 and 5 loss seasons this decade.

OU has a 4 loss season, nothing more. LSU has a 4 and a 5 loss season.

I would rank USC first and LSU second though.

Jmorales22
1/16/2008, 08:37 PM
Agreed

OU has a 4 loss season, nothing more. LSU has a 4 and a 5 loss season.

I would rank USC first and LSU second though.

Yeah, and we all know about one of those four "losses."

Championchips have got to be the most looked upon stat. So that's why I think most people would say LSU or USC. LSU's were both the BCS ones, so those that don't respect the AP could argue that. I kind of forgot about USC's AP in 2003 but I think it's legit. USC's 34 game winning streak, 3 heismans, and the amount of all americans they have is probably a pretty strong case. The only thing stopping them is they didn't get it going until 2002.

They might look at overall record in the 2000s also but I don't know those stats. OU should be in pretty good shape for that one.

CU Sooner
1/17/2008, 11:11 AM
[QUOTE=LSUdeek]I would put USC #1 but I don't see how a pair of teams that LSU beat straight up in national championship games can be ranked above them.

I would have OU above because 1) I'm a homer 2) look at the entire decade, OU's 5 loss season was in 99 and 3) play the game somewhere other than NO and OU has 2 MNC's.

I think they should put the MNC game somewhere where there is no chance of a team making it and having home field advantage. I was thinking stoolwater but it's about as close to us as NO is to BR, so the next best thing would be Austin, at least for the next 35 years.:D

sooneron
1/17/2008, 11:57 AM
If this is a race, lsu in a big way. NO ONE can compete with the speed of the mighty sec!!

NDN_Soonerfan
1/17/2008, 12:12 PM
If this is a race, lsu in a big way. NO ONE can compete with the speed of the mighty sec!!

Im so tired of hearing that and also about how they beat up each other through their Conference. Really in the SEC there are maybe 2 or 3 Legit teams year in and year out, just like every other conference. So i dont buy into the Speed of the SEC, besides i practically hear about how OU is a bunch of chokers and deserved not to be in the BCS this year from my in laws. Besides the Media is in love with the SEC and USC

Octavian
1/17/2008, 08:40 PM
1. USC - 34 game streak, 2(?) titles, 3 Heismans, 5-1 BCS record

2. LSU - only program w/ 2 crystals (two different coaches)

3. Oklahoma - 1 NC, most wins, best winning %, but embarrassing BCS results

4. Ohio State - 1 NC, but 2 BCS Title Game losses mar the Buckeyes like the Sooners. Sweatervest doesn't have the #'s as Stoops throughout, but they've been really good.

5. Texas - 1 NC, OU has cost them more than we'll ever know. Without Stoops and OU....the Horns would have been in a great position to win Program of the Decade. Instead, they've gone 2-6 in Dallas. But...still a lot of wins and a crystal with Vince.

Still 2 years to go.... :)

OU_Sooners75
1/17/2008, 09:12 PM
1. LSU (only team with 2 BCS titles, all BCS games in NO)
2. OU (3 title appearances, 1 BCS title, none at home, 6 total BCS games)
3. USC (1 BCS title which might be tainted, 2 total appearances, 6 total bcs games, only 2 BCS games away from LA)
4. Ohio State (3 title appearances, 1 BCS title, no BCS home games, 5 total BCS games)
5. Miami (2 BCS title appearances, 1 BCS title, none at home)
6. Texass (1 BCS title and appearance, none at home)

LSUdeek
1/17/2008, 11:53 PM
I would like to formally apologize for adding a loss to to Brett Romar (sic)'s season, sorry.

goingoneight
1/18/2008, 12:56 AM
Enjoy the problem of whether OU should be ranked at the bottom or the middle or the top of the TOP 7 TEAMS THIS DECADE.

Why would they do that when they could call for Brent Venables head? I mean, it's not like he's been doing anything since the start of 2000. ;)

Good point, though.

goingoneight
1/18/2008, 12:58 AM
Will be interesting if the MNC game becomes a traveling venue in the near future like the Super Bowl. I can tell you I know for a fact that Jerry World will be in like Flint on that **** if it does end up a traveling game.

How awesome would it be to play an MNC game in Dallas? :eek: We could tell Texas to keep the place warm, cuz we'll be back in a couple of months! :D

Crucifax Autumn
1/18/2008, 02:51 AM
That would be great, assuming it's in a year we make it.

The rotation thing is an excellent idea though.

BIG_IKE
1/18/2008, 08:30 AM
OH we have been the thorn in Texas side for YEARS. We have been the great spoilers. They are right there with us in wins, but look at what could have been for the Whorns.

2007- 10-3 (7 point loss to OU dashed Conf. Title chances)
2006- 10-3
2005- 13-0 National Champs, Conf. Champs
2004- 11-1 Only loss was to OU
2003- 10-3 Only Conference loss was to OU
2002- 11-2 OU loss prevented South Title
2001- 11-2 Had OU beat OkSt, Texas would have played Miami in NC
2000 9-3 OU was Texas only conference loss

Texas was 5 OU wins away from having 7 Conf. Titles, and playing in 3 national titles this decade..Although I still think they would have only won one (2005)

yermom
1/18/2008, 10:26 AM
in 2001 if OU beat teh pokes, it would have been OU playing Colorado for the chance of getting thrashed by Miami

if Texass beats Colorado for the 2nd time then they would have most likely been playing Miami instead of Nebraska

OU_Sooners75
1/18/2008, 11:15 AM
OH we have been the thorn in Texas side for YEARS. We have been the great spoilers. They are right there with us in wins, but look at what could have been for the Whorns.

2007- 10-3 (7 point loss to OU dashed Conf. Title chances)
2006- 10-3
2005- 13-0 National Champs, Conf. Champs
2004- 11-1 Only loss was to OU
2003- 10-3 Only Conference loss was to OU
2002- 11-2 OU loss prevented South Title
2001- 11-2 Had OU beat OkSt, Texas would have played Miami in NC
2000 9-3 OU was Texas only conference loss

Texas was 5 OU wins away from having 7 Conf. Titles, and playing in 3 national titles this decade..Although I still think they would have only won one (2005)

That is because since 1950 OU has owned Texas.

BIG_IKE
1/18/2008, 11:24 AM
That is because since 1950 OU has owned Texas.

Not really...

Texas has a 28-27-3 Record vs. OU since 1950

We havent "owned" Texas unless you count the 5 game streak this decade.
In the last 10 games vs. Texas we are 6-4.
The fact that no one "owns" anyone consistently is what makes it a good and relevant Rivalry game.

In the last 20 meetings we actually have only won 9 times (9-10-1)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_River_Shootout

Jacie
1/18/2008, 03:51 PM
Hell, there was a time there earlier this decade when the lOSUrs could claim a 5-5 record versus Oklahoma over the last 10 games. Glad the Sooners have turned this one back into what it always was . . . their bowl game, which 9 times out of 10 is an annual loss to OU.

MextheBulldog
1/18/2008, 06:52 PM
But is LSU the new Miami? Loads of talent. Former OkSt. coach as their second winner in five years? Always gets their NC Games at home?
Sure seems like it.

Never thought about it, but they are very similar. LSU is a Miami clone.

RedstickSooner
1/18/2008, 07:46 PM

I'm sorry, but this argument is without merit.

The Sugar Bowl has been played in LSU's back yard since the dawn of time. LSU went 50 years without winning a national championship.

Putting the blame for this on home field advantage makes us look petty and a bit foolish. If proximity mattered so much, they'd have a dozen national championships. Not three.

I get so tired of hearing about home field advantage as an excuse for losing to LSU in 2003. We lost because our DC took a head coaching job a month before the NC game. That STILL ****es me off -- it should be against the rules to hire a coach from another school before that school's season is over.

If Mike Stoops hadn't vanished, then reappeared for a couple of days, just in time to change everything about our defensive scheme and completely screw the pooch, we would've won #8 four years ago (that's what I firmly believe, anyhow -- obviously, we have no way of knowing for sure). As it was, it was a close contest -- even with our coaching upheaval and our starting QB being so banged up.

The home field advantage issue mostly sucks for us fans, particularly those unfortunate enough to travel to New Orleans and experience first-hand how poorly LSU fans welcomed the Sooner nation to their home turf. Even LSU fans I know down here admit to me that they were ashamed at how they saw a lot of other LSU fans behaving for that Sugar Bowl title game.

Still, on the field, having the home crowd only goes so far -- and in the end, a championship team doesn't *need* the advantage, and would win without it.

I detest Les Miles. I refuse to root for LSU while he's their coach. However, with the talent he's inherited (and will continue to easily land, now that LSU has gained national prominence) it'd take a real idiot to lose (and the fact that he lost twice, and needed 537 fourth down conversions not to lose even more games than that shows just how "talented" a coach he really is) -- and my money says he would've won that game no matter where it was played. Even in Columbus.

OU_Sooners75
1/20/2008, 09:21 AM
Not really...

Texas has a 28-27-3 Record vs. OU since 1950

We havent "owned" Texas unless you count the 5 game streak this decade.
In the last 10 games vs. Texas we are 6-4.
The fact that no one "owns" anyone consistently is what makes it a good and relevant Rivalry game.

In the last 20 meetings we actually have only won 9 times (9-10-1)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_River_Shootout

The bulk of Texas' lead in the series came pre-AP era.

Maybe I was strong in saying owned since 1950...but the series changed dramatically in the 40s.

OU_Sooners75
1/20/2008, 09:22 AM
IKE here is a better source...better than wikipedia...

http://football.stassen.com/records/opponent.html

lsubigben
1/20/2008, 11:09 PM
Sorry guys, I have to say LSU, not because I'm alum or fan.

Is tougher to win in SEC than any other conference, that has to count for something. Aburn, Tennesse, Georgia, Florida, LSU, and lots of middle tier teams that can beat the top teams. No other league has teams in the bottom that can do that.

USC with all that talent should have won more in a weak Pac 10.

In Big 12 only Texas and OU are the only two legit teams.

Reminder for those of you claim LSU played at home. Two NC games OU lost in, most believed they shouldn't have been there. Against LSU, most say USC should have played. Against USC in 2004, most said Auburn should have been there not OU. So, really OU should have only played in one, which they won.

Soonerfan1993
1/20/2008, 11:16 PM
2000-2007(8 Seasons)
OU 90-17 84.1% 1 NC 5 Confrence Titles 6 BCS Bowls
USC 81-21 79.4% 1 1/2 NC's 5 Confrence Titles 6 BCS Bowls
TOSU 81-20 80. 1% 1 NC 3 Confrence Titles 4 BCS Bowls
LSU 82-22 78.8% 1 1/2 NC's 3 Confrence Titles 4 BCS Bowls

sooneron
1/20/2008, 11:17 PM
Reminder for those of you claim LSU played at home. Two NC games OU lost in, most believed they shouldn't have been there. Against LSU, most say USC should have played. Against USC in 2004, most said Auburn should have been there not OU. So, really OU should have only played in one, which they won.
Yeah, noob. I call bull**** here. Most people outside of the state of ALabama and utah felt OU belonged in the NC game against usc. You need to get out of dogpatch more.

YOur sec comment is tired, btw. What was the record of the "other" teams behind you and UGA? Yeah, not that good. Your conf was a collection of middle tier teams that could beat the top teams. Just like our conference.

Soonerfan1993
1/20/2008, 11:25 PM
2000-2007(8 Seasons)
OU 90-17 84.1% 1 NC 5 Confrence Titles 6 BCS Bowls
USC 81-21 79.4% 1 1/2 NC's 5 Confrence Titles 6 BCS Bowls
TOSU 81-20 80. 1% 1 NC 3 Confrence Titles 4 BCS Bowls
LSU 82-22 78.8% 1 1/2 NC's 3 Confrence Titles 4 BCS Bowls

If OU/USC/TOSU/LSU win a non split NC any of the next two years they will make the strongest claim for #1.

Right now it is still wide open out of those 4! OU has 8 more wins then the next closest in wins, and has a 4% winning percentage edge on the next closest in winning percentage. They also have 3 less losses the next closest in losses! They are tied with USC for most confrence titles, and tied with USC for most bcs bowls. They have stunk it up in bcs bowls lately but the fact there winning percentage, wins, losses is so much better then the next closest makes up for it. Also the fact that USC/LSU split one of those titles helps quite a bit!

Soonerfan1993
1/20/2008, 11:27 PM
If OU/USC/TOSU/LSU win a non split NC any of the next two years they will make the strongest claim for #1.

Right now it is still wide open out of those 4! OU has 8 more wins then the next closest in wins, and has a 4% winning percentage edge on the next closest in winning percentage. They also have 3 less losses the next closest in losses! They are tied with USC for most confrence titles, and tied with USC for most bcs bowls. They have stunk it up in bcs bowls lately but the fact there winning percentage, wins, losses is so much better then the next closest makes up for it. Also the fact that USC/LSU split one of those titles helps quite a bit!

LSU/TOSU/USC have stunk it up several seasons this decade, OU every season except 2005 was a strong nc contender!

BIG_IKE
1/21/2008, 01:21 PM
IKE here is a better source...better than wikipedia...

http://football.stassen.com/records/opponent.html

thanks, thats an awesome website! It's still 28-27-3 in favor of Whorns though