PDA

View Full Version : Any surprises?

Collier11
1/15/2008, 06:11 PM
To all you recruitniks....do you foresee any possible last second commits that we werent expecting?

Widescreen
1/15/2008, 09:32 PM
Or decommits, for that matter.

sooneron
1/15/2008, 10:05 PM
Or decommits, for that matter.
JINX!

Jello Biafra
1/15/2008, 11:38 PM
To all you recruitniks....do you foresee any possible last second commits that we werent expecting?

I doubt it would happen but, i would ove to see us ink one of the three linebackers we missed out on earlier.

insuranceman_22
1/16/2008, 12:19 AM
I doubt it would happen but, i would ove to see us ink one of the three linebackers we missed out on earlier.

Amen to that.....at least one!

KingDavid
1/16/2008, 02:40 AM
We should have three more scholly's:

1) One to the JUCO LB (will commit on Friday).
2) One to one of the two or three safeties on the board.
3) One saved for Julio Jones or . . . I'm thinking we might try to go steal a top-line JUCO DB from somebody.
4) We also still have an outside shot at the top JUCO recruit in the nation - Simi Kuli.

The Consumate Showman
1/16/2008, 09:30 AM
J.R. Bryant JUCO LB, David Sims (sp?) JUCO Safety, and Julio Jones are who you should be looking for us to pick up. I think these are the three that the coaches will be going the hardest after now.

Other than that, there may be one "surprise" recruit out there meaning, one that either no one knows about or one that will surprise us by committing to us being so far away from the state.

I think the recruitment of the Lynn kid from Texas has truned into more of a JoePa/Leach fight with us on the outside looking in. Simi Kuli is still going to be somewhat of a stretch right now because of him being so high on Oregon State and OU not going hard for him once he decommitted from Nebbish.

BillyBall
1/16/2008, 09:33 AM
J.R. Bryant JUCO LB, David Sims (sp?) JUCO Safety, and Julio Jones are who you should be looking for us to pick up. I think these are the three that the coaches will be going the hardest after now.

Other than that, there may be one "surprise" recruit out there meaning, one that either no one knows about or one that will surprise us by committing to us being so far away from the state.

I think the recruitment of the Lynn kid from Texas has truned into more of a JoePa/Leach fight with us on the outside looking in. Simi Kuli is still going to be somewhat of a stretch right now because of him being so high on Oregon State and OU not going hard for him once he decommitted from Nebbish.

And the Daniel Thomas saga continues...

Rhino
1/16/2008, 11:53 AM
Actually, with Kelly, Lofton and Smith leaving, we have 6-7 schollys left to give.

The Consumate Showman
1/16/2008, 12:46 PM

I think the David Sims situation may throw him for a loop again...

but then again, with Reggie bolting, we could take them both.

:pop:

trwxxa
1/19/2008, 10:50 AM
There are rumblings from down here in Tejas that Lamar Harris, a DB from Gilmer and teammate of Justin Johnson, is close to changing his declaration from aTm to the Sooners. I understand he will be in Norman next weekend.

The Texas Aggies are pretty tight on available scholorships and may not put up much of a fight to keep him.

trwxxa
1/20/2008, 03:25 PM

Thomas declared to K-state today, FWIW.

http://kansasstate.scout.com/a.z?s=173&p=2&c=721666

derek430
1/20/2008, 04:36 PM
David sims and Mike Balogun have committed to us to day.

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=72602

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=73873

Collier11
1/20/2008, 05:06 PM
Maybe Simms can be that impact return guy that we have been missing since Perkins

sooner94
1/21/2008, 12:57 PM
Maybe Simms can be that impact return guy that we have been missing since Perkins

He definitely has the speed to be an impact guy in the return game.

Collier11
1/21/2008, 01:20 PM
with the way simms seems to be always around the ball(2 blocked fg's returned for tds, 3 ints, 4 Fumb rec) he may HOPEFULLY Be a Derick Strait type for us that weve been lacking

KingDavid
1/21/2008, 04:09 PM
Actually, with Kelly, Lofton and Smith leaving, we have 6-7 schollys left to give.

So, let's see if I'm getting this. Does that mean that we now still have 4-5 scholarships left to offer, accounting for the recent additions of Balogun & Sims?

These are the top recruits I see still available that have indicated strong or medium interest in us:

1) Julio Jones (WR) (Medium)
2) JR Bryant (LB) (High)
3) Lamar Harris (DB) (High)
4) Victor Johnson (DB) (???)
5) Simi Kuli (DE) (Is this even a possibility?)

If we get 4 out of those five, especially if it includes Kuli & Jones, we'll have a top 3 class. Maybe even #1?

Comments?

Rhino
1/23/2008, 02:35 AM
Could get 4-5 (not sure with our probation), but could get 1-2 and save the rest for next year. Just depends on who commits where, I guess.

Right now the list of candidates are:

Hopefuls:
- WR Julio Jones (OU, BAMA)
- LB J.R. Bryant (OU, OSU, TTU)
- DB Lamar Harris (A&M SOFT VERBAL)

Maybes:
- DB Robert Lester (BAMA VERBAL)
- DB D'Anton Lynn (PSU SOFT VERBAL)
- DE Simi Kuli (OREGON STATE, OU, KSU)
- ATH Kendall Wright (BU, OU, ARKANSAS, ISU, NU)
- OL Freddie Smooth (AUBURN, OU)

Longshots:
- WR Joe Adams (USC SOFT VERBAL)
- DE/DT Lavar Edwards (LSU, BAMA, OU)

And there's the proverbial secret recruit out there too.

BillyBall
1/23/2008, 09:03 AM
Could get 4-5 (not sure with our probation), but could get 1-2 and save the rest for next year. Just depends on who commits where, I guess.

Right now the list of candidates are:

Hopefuls:
- WR Julio Jones (OU, BAMA)
- LB J.R. Bryant (OU, OSU, TTU)
- DB Lamar Harris (A&M SOFT VERBAL)

Maybes:
- DB Robert Lester (BAMA VERBAL)
- DB D'Anton Lynn (PSU SOFT VERBAL)
- DE Simi Kuli (OREGON STATE, OU, KSU)
- ATH Kendall Wright (BU, OU, ARKANSAS, ISU, NU)

Longshots:
- WR Joe Adams (USC SOFT VERBAL)
- DE/DT Lavar Edwards (LSU, BAMA, OU)

And there's the proverbial secret recruit out there too.

You left off Victor Johnson, do you think that he is out or if not where would you classify him?

OU_Sooners75
1/23/2008, 09:50 AM
You left off Victor Johnson, do you think that he is out or if not where would you classify him?

He left Johnson off because he took us off his list. He canceled his visit to Miami. That leaves just one team he is interested in and that team in Stoolwater.

BillyBall
1/23/2008, 10:06 AM
He left Johnson off because he took us off his list. He canceled his visit to Miami. That leaves just one team he is interested in and that team in Stoolwater.

I did not know that.... Hope he likes 5-6 seasons.

Desert Sapper
1/23/2008, 10:17 AM

Scout has him already committed to osu.

BillyBall
1/23/2008, 10:29 AM
Scout has him already committed to osu.

Yeah, just saw that. I only check out rivals and they still have him split so I had some old news apparently.

OU_Sooners75
1/23/2008, 11:20 AM
It happened just a couple a days ago after David Sims committed to OU.

Apparently he is afraid of competition. :mad:

Rhino
1/23/2008, 12:52 PM
Johnson didn't commit on Saturday. Sims did.

We're done recruiting safetys. Coaches called Johnson and Zaviar Gooden that OU no longer had a scholarship for them. Johnson verballed to OSU, Gooden verballed to Mizzou.

Personally, I think we missed a good one in Gooden.

Ground_Attack
1/23/2008, 01:37 PM
we may have missed a good one Rhino, but if you snooze, you lose. They had the 'ship out there for the taking but waited too long. Good luck to them elsewhere.

KingDavid
1/23/2008, 01:39 PM
"I'd say probably I'm just looking for somewhere that I can see the field."
- Victor Johnson, on the main thing that made his decision.

Translation: "OU stopped recruiting safeties and the competition at Okie State is weak, so . . . I decided to go there."

He's a good player that just moved a little too slow (in his mind, that is) to end up on a winner.

Good luck, regardless, I suppose.

soonerfan28
1/25/2008, 02:46 PM
Has anyone heard of Tyler Roby? I saw him on OU's rival site and he seems to have the size and speed needed to compete (6'3 210 4.45), but he is only a 2 star. Juco Kid.

soonerfan28
1/25/2008, 02:48 PM
I guess I should say he's a CB and OU could use one with that kind of size.

soonerfan28
1/25/2008, 02:51 PM
I went back and looked and he's actually a 3 star. Maybe that extra star helps.

soonerfan28
1/25/2008, 02:55 PM
Scout.com has the kid running a 4.36.

TitanTiger
1/26/2008, 02:33 PM
Maybes:

Freddie committed to Auburn yesterday.

Rhino
1/26/2008, 02:52 PM
Figured he would. I need to redo that list anyway.

Purple Tiger
1/26/2008, 05:26 PM
It happened just a couple a days ago after David Sims committed to OU.

Apparently he is afraid of competition. :mad:

Since 90% of the posters on this board never played or quit football,I'm amused when you guys say a guy is afraid of competition.

OU_Sooners75
1/26/2008, 06:13 PM
Since 90% of the posters on this board never played or quit football,I'm amused when you guys say a guy is afraid of competition.

I would agree with that. However, I fall in the 10% category. :cool:

47straight
1/26/2008, 08:31 PM

It's nice to know then since you didn't play high school football in Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, and Alabama then you will stop making your usually insipid comments.

insuranceman_22
1/27/2008, 03:24 AM
:D
It's nice to know then since you didn't play high school football in Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, and Alabama then you will stop making your usually insipid comments.

spek (& it's good)

snp
1/30/2008, 12:53 AM

We were afraid of the competition hence we know what we're talking about.

SOONER STEAKER
1/30/2008, 01:03 AM
I am always amazed at the people I know who weren't any good in HS playing football who have such strong opinions on players being soft. I was an All Stater and I thought I was a great player, that was my thought process until I ran up against players in practice like Tony Casillas, Ricky Bryan, Kevin Murphy, Jackie Shipp, Brian Bozworth, Dante Reed, and heat seaking missles like Keith Stansberry, David Vickers, Tony Rayburn and Sunny Brown.

Until you have put the pads on, you don't have the right to call someone soft or gutless unless your Al Eshbach who thinks he knows all.

Collier11
1/30/2008, 11:54 AM
I am always amazed at the people I know who weren't any good in HS playing football who have such strong opinions on players being soft. I was an All Stater and I thought I was a great player, that was my thought process until I ran up against players in practice like Tony Casillas, Ricky Bryan, Kevin Murphy, Jackie Shipp, Brian Bozworth, Dante Reed, and heat seaking missles like Keith Stansberry, David Vickers, Tony Rayburn and Sunny Brown.

Until you have put the pads on, you don't have the right to call someone soft or gutless unless your Al Eshbach who thinks he knows all.

Yep Yep Yep!

KingDavid
1/30/2008, 02:24 PM

harumph.

picasso
1/30/2008, 06:35 PM
I am always amazed at the people I know who weren't any good in HS playing football who have such strong opinions on players being soft. I was an All Stater and I thought I was a great player, that was my thought process until I ran up against players in practice like Tony Casillas, Ricky Bryan, Kevin Murphy, Jackie Shipp, Brian Bozworth, Dante Reed, and heat seaking missles like Keith Stansberry, Scott Garl, David Vickers, Tony Rayburn and Sunny Brown.

fixed.:)

Jason White's Third Knee
1/31/2008, 12:22 PM

What if the player was lousy in high school but he was tough as nails? Could he comment then?

Or, or.. Or what about a guy that had all the talent in the world but WAS soft and knew it and thinks he can spot others? Could that guy comment?

If you can work in an answer between reliving your glory days and patting yourself on the back, we'd appreciate it.

Seamus
2/2/2008, 04:51 AM
That seemed a little unnecessary.

tulsaoilerfan
2/2/2008, 01:49 PM
So let's get this back on topic; any surprises?

KingDavid
2/2/2008, 04:55 PM
What if the player was lousy in high school but he was tough as nails? Could he comment then?

Or, or.. Or what about a guy that had all the talent in the world but WAS soft and knew it and thinks he can spot others? Could that guy comment?

If you can work in an answer between reliving your glory days and patting yourself on the back, we'd appreciate it.

Steaker, personally I'm just fine with sticking to the glory days and patting myself on the back.

And Knee, if you happen to be one of those other losers, it's fine. We'll still accept your comments, but you just need to LIE and tell us that you were all-world somewhere. You know? For crying out loud, it's a web-forum. You've got the username that certainly would give you credibility. NO ONE WILL KNOW.

Take me for instance, it's not like I'd be one to sniff you out if you were faking: I haven't been able to think all that clearly since the 8th (or was it the ninth?) concussion I suffered in the NFL. (That Ronnie Lott is one tough mf).

Where were we, anyway? I get so disoriented?

SOONER STEAKER
2/2/2008, 05:03 PM
Steaker, personally I'm just fine with sticking to the glory days and patting myself on the back.

These are the glory days man. We have Sam Bradford, Demarco Murray, Gresham, a nice group of returnin staters and a bunch of studs who are gonna show up next fall and we're gonna kick some people all over the turf at Memorial Stadium.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/5/2008, 11:45 AM
It's nice to know then since you didn't go to high school football in Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, and Alabama then you will stop making your usually insipid comments.

Fixed it for ya...;)