1/15/2008, 04:52 PM
Good Luck in draft....

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011508aab.html

XingTheRubicon
1/15/2008, 04:54 PM
until Soonermajik posts it, it's not really happening

birddog
1/15/2008, 04:55 PM
well, maybe his broken toe will be healed by the time the combine starts.

Boomer.....
1/15/2008, 04:56 PM
:(

Sucks!

Collier11
1/15/2008, 05:05 PM
Maybe what we need is some fresh blood and hungry attitudes...not to take anything away from the guys leaving because I loved all of them but sometimes change is good. Lets hope this is the case this year

Soonermagik
1/15/2008, 05:06 PM
until Soonermajik posts it, it's not really happening

LOL!!! I try to do a little something here and there. I actually was told this morning he was leaving, but it was still just a strong rumor at that point.

BillyBall
1/15/2008, 05:08 PM
This sucks... Next years team could have been really special, heres to hoping it still will be.

The_Red_Patriot
1/15/2008, 05:08 PM
Maybe what we need is some fresh blood and hungry attitudes...not to take anything away from the guys leaving because I loved all of them but sometimes change is good. Lets hope this is the case this year

welll....people say that every year

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/15/2008, 05:12 PM

Somebody tell me at least MaEachern and Halzle are staying!

Collier11
1/15/2008, 05:13 PM

yea but the attitude and fire of our teams under stoops have never been questioned until this year?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/15/2008, 05:15 PM
Well it looks like we have a few more schollies to give now.

BillyBall
1/15/2008, 05:21 PM
I said 2 weeks ago that we would only lose Kelly, and I felt strong about that statement...

illinisooner
1/15/2008, 05:26 PM
You kind of had the feeling that when Curtis went, Reggie would too. Oh well, good luck in the NFL to him.

Civicus_Sooner
1/15/2008, 05:26 PM
Lendy Holmes will do pretty good. J. Powteet (sp) and others will be ready to step up. We'll be fine.

TheUnnamedSooner
1/15/2008, 05:27 PM

Remember when people were saying that about Jason White leaving?

Civicus_Sooner
1/15/2008, 05:30 PM
Remember when people were saying that about Jason White leaving?They were right. Jason coming back did hurt us in some ways.

JLEW1818
1/15/2008, 05:33 PM
Reggie Smith is one great player, nothing against him, but if I do recall he did muff the punt at Colorado , which eventually lost the game/nation title.

The_Red_Patriot
1/15/2008, 05:38 PM
Reggie Smith is one great player, nothing against him, but if I do recall he did muff the punt at Colorado , which eventually lost the game/nation title.

Our offense also was in a shell that game.....

Don't forget the Tech game. We had really good chance to win it but for some reason we started running spread formation inside the 5 and throwing fades........

Mjcpr
1/15/2008, 05:39 PM
Kelly and Smith could have helped themselves by staying because, frankly, neither of them had a great year. Maybe they'll get drafted based on measurables.

Lofton would have been hard pressed to have a better year than he had this year, so in that regard, he should probably go. However, he won't have the measurables to go very high IMO. I hope he does, but I have my doubts.

Good luck to all of them.

JLEW1818
1/15/2008, 05:39 PM
How did Jason White coming back hurt us in anyway??? So he won every game but the National Title how many qb's can say that. Our defense only game up 55pts against usc. ha

BillyBall
1/15/2008, 05:40 PM
So is that the only funeral today or will we get to have more?

freshchris05
1/15/2008, 05:42 PM

How did Jason White coming back hurt us in anyway??? So he won every game but the National Title how many qb's can say that. Our defense only game up 55pts against usc. ha

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif

JLEW1818
1/15/2008, 05:42 PM

Don't forget the Tech game. We had really good chance to win it but for some reason we started running spread formation inside the 5 and throwing fades........

yes i do remember the tech game. I know that I sound like I'm blaming people but Patrick did fumble the football, then Bradford made the tackle and got hurt. FOR THE GAME. And we lost by a TD. hmmmmmm. Both of the losses came off mental mistakes, but people do not want to admit it.

OklahomaTuba
1/15/2008, 05:45 PM
Ouch.

Civicus_Sooner
1/15/2008, 05:48 PM
PT needing to RS and then move to WR is what hurt us. It should never have happened that way. I think we would have had a very similar season with PT at QB and then never would have had the disaster season the year Bomar was our starter.

Octavian
1/15/2008, 05:53 PM
Kelly and Smith could have helped themselves by staying because, frankly, neither of them had a great year. Maybe they'll get drafted based on measurables.

bingo.

They're both talented losses....no doubt. But neither are a bigger loss than Lofton.

JLEW1818
1/15/2008, 05:53 PM
The Bomar thing was just as much the coaches fault as his. Everybody knew what was going on and they just got caught, but thats beside the point. Jason white on the other hand was the best QB for the sooners in the last 10 years at least. You cant say oh we got to plan for next year and suck this year. No! How could you say having the "heisman" trophy winner come back is a bad thing. The sooners lost to arguably the best college football team ever that year "USC" !

TheUnnamedSooner
1/15/2008, 05:54 PM
PT needing to RS and then move to WR is what hurt us. It should never have happened that way. I think we would have had a very similar season with PT at QB and then never would have had the disaster season the year Bomar was our starter.

They probably wouldn't have redshirted Bomar and he probably would have gotten the nod in front of PT.

Collier11
1/15/2008, 05:57 PM
The Bomar thing was just as much the coaches fault as his. Everybody knew what was going on and they just got caught, but thats beside the point.

Dumb da Dumb Dumb Dumb!

Civicus_Sooner
1/15/2008, 05:58 PM
They probably wouldn't have redshirted Bomar and he probably would have gotten the nod in front of PT.Not if PT would have started for a year.

Bomar didn't beat PT out his freshman year, so what makes you think he would have coming off of a year of starting?

Collier11
1/15/2008, 06:00 PM
Not if PT would have started for a year.

Bomar didn't beat PT out his freshman year, so what makes you think he would have coming off of a year of starting?

So let me get this straight, Jason white coming back and leading us to a 13-0 season and a National title game appearance hurt us because it slowed down PT and RB's progression? I hope this isnt what you are trying to say cus that is retarded beyond belief...please tell me I misread you? :confused:

Harry Beanbag
Our defense is fooked next year.

Octavian
Jason white on the other hand was the best QB for the sooners in the last 10 years at least.

and we're off!

Collier11
1/15/2008, 06:01 PM

so we will be justified in giving up 40+ in a BCS game this year? :confused: ;) :D

Desert Sapper
1/15/2008, 06:02 PM
So when will Duke declare? It's just a matter of time now, right?

NYC Poke
1/15/2008, 06:03 PM
The Bomar thing was just as much the coaches fault as his. Everybody knew what was going on and they just got caught, but thats beside the point.

I'm thinking this might be a USC fan. That seems to be the way things work out there.

The sooners lost to arguably the best college football team ever that year "USC" !

Confirmed.

Civicus_Sooner
1/15/2008, 06:03 PM
So let me get this straight, Jason white coming back and leading us to a 13-0 season and a National title game appearance hurt us because it slowed down PT and RB's progression? I hope this isnt what you are trying to say cus that is retarded beyond belief...please tell me I misread you? :confused:No, I'm just saying his return wasn't absolutely necessary from a team standpoint. I was very happy he returned but it did not result in a National Championship and it caused a few problems in the process.

Breadburner
1/15/2008, 06:04 PM
Plug em in and play......Could English or Beal play line-backer.....

Civicus_Sooner
So when will Duke declare? It's just a matter of time now, right?Deadline was about an hour ago.

JLEW1818
40 TD PASSES 12 INT 03-04 SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW IS WHITE COMING BACK A BAD THING????????? BLAHHHHHHH BOOOOOMER

Collier11
No, I'm just saying his return wasn't absolutely necessary from a team standpoint. I was very happy he returned but it did not result in a National Championship and it caused a few problems in the process.

I see where you are going with this, but Ill take that entire season all over again...lets just stop it after OU's first drive on offense this time :D

Harry Beanbag
1/15/2008, 06:05 PM
so we will be justified in giving up 40+ in a BCS game this year? :confused: ;) :D

The Holiday Bowl is not a BCS game. ;) :(

Civicus_Sooner
1/15/2008, 06:06 PM
I see where you are going with this, but Ill take that entire season all over again...lets just stop it after OU's first drive on offense this time :D
Well, hindsight is 20/20

;)

TheUnnamedSooner
1/15/2008, 06:08 PM
Not if PT would have started for a year.

I don't understand your reasoning. Bomar redshirted JW's final season, same as PT. So, if JW didn't come back that final season, PT might have beaten bomar at the beginning, but would have lost the job just like in '05.

Desert Sapper
1/15/2008, 06:08 PM
Deadline was about an hour ago.

That's good news. So Smith, Lofton, and Kelly.

I think Chaney is looking good to replace MK (if the Fiesta is an indication). It's questionable if we have two competent corners, but some of these young guys looked pretty good in the spring and summer. LB is a huge question mark. Everything else looks okay.

Harry Beanbag
1/15/2008, 06:12 PM
That's good news. So Smith, Lofton, and Kelly.

I think Chaney is looking good to replace MK (if the Fiesta is an indication). It's questionable if we have two competent corners, but some of these young guys looked pretty good in the spring and summer. LB is a huge question mark. Everything else looks okay.

It's questionable if we have one competent corner. After Reynolds' season coming back from a knee injury, I think you could say the same about the LBs. Then there is the neverending search to find Safeties who can play this defense effectively...

Octavian
1/15/2008, 06:15 PM
surely we have a backup RB who can do that....hello, Moses!

adoniijahsooner
1/15/2008, 06:16 PM
This sucks... Next years team could have been really special, heres to hoping it still will be.

For some strange reason I believe next years team will be terrific regardless of who leaves. Malcolm Kelly had no passion, and reggie smith was good, but his leadership skills were non existent. Lofton is the only onewho hurts at this moment. As long as Nic Harris doesnt leave i am ok.

adoniijahsooner
1/15/2008, 06:17 PM
It's questionable if we have one competent corner. After Reynolds' season coming back from a knee injury, I think you could say the same about the LBs. Then there is the neverending search to find Safeties who can play this defense effectively...

nic harris and lendy holmes

Civicus_Sooner
1/15/2008, 06:18 PM
I don't understand your reasoning. Bomar redshirted JW's final season, same as PT. So, if JW didn't come back that final season, PT might have beaten bomar at the beginning, but would have lost the job just like in '05.Bomar would have redshirted. The year PT redshirted would never have happened. Bomar didn't beat out PT even following both redshirting. There is no way in hell that a true Freshman would have beaten out the Jr. Back up QB.

soonerlaw
1/15/2008, 06:19 PM
JW did the right thing. First off, I'm not sure his draft status was any better after 03 than it was after 04. Also, I think with guys like Cody and Clayton coming back, plus the addition of AD to add a running game which wasn't there in 03, he wanted to come back... and it did lead to an unbelievable season. As for the USuCk game, while they might have been better, I think we can all agree that they weren't that much better as the score might indicate. We simply got punched in the mouth, lost momemtum, and couldn't respond. It happends all the time time.

Harry Beanbag
1/15/2008, 06:20 PM
nic harris and lendy holmes

What about them?

JLEW1818
1/15/2008, 06:22 PM
Here is the thing people. As far as the big 12 I would take are back up DB's and linebackers over the majority of the big 12 teams. Think about this . we are Oklahoma . we get the best players around are bordering states. Even though we lost 2 great defensive players we still have excellent back up players. Would you agree that are number 2 defense and number 2 offense would beat at least 8 teams in the big 12.

So people don't worry we are Oklahoma WE DON'T REGROUP WE RELOAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

adoniijahsooner
1/15/2008, 06:23 PM

Everyone thought the Defense would be dominant this year and the offense a weak spot, but the defense was by far inferior to the O. You have no idea what might happen

Collier11
1/15/2008, 06:24 PM
You have no idea what might happen

Oooooooh you did it now!

sooneron
1/15/2008, 06:25 PM
Lendy Holmes will do pretty good. J. Powteet (sp) and others will be ready to step up. We'll be fine.
Uh.... no.

We just lost the most versatile player that Stoops has ever had for a db. We might end being "okay" about 6 games into the Fall, but this staff hasn't fielded a decently consistent D backfield since 2001.

FYI- Poteat graduated TWO YEARS AGO.

adoniijahsooner
1/15/2008, 06:26 PM
What about them?

They are good DB's that will help out the new blood that takes over

Civicus_Sooner
1/15/2008, 06:27 PM
Uh.... no.

We just lost the most versatile player that Stoops has ever had for a db. We might end being "okay" about 6 games into the Fall, but this staff hasn't fielded a decently consistent D backfield since 2001.

FYI- Poteat graduated TWO YEARS AGO.My bad we have a redshirt freshman, I cannot recall his name but he's supposed to be a heckuva CB. What's his name again?

Collier11
1/15/2008, 06:29 PM
Nic Harris
Lendy Holmes
Brian Jackson
Dominique Franks
Brett Bowers
Quinton Carter
Keenan Clayton
Jamell Fleming
Desmond Jackson
Jonathon Nelson
Sam Proctor

I am confident that Coach Stoops can find 4-5 guys that will play very well for us out of that group. The good thing is most are pretty young and all are very talented, Stoops did recruit these guys dont forget. Its not like we got them on loan from osu because Reggie left and MW graduated

Harry Beanbag
1/15/2008, 06:31 PM
Everyone thought the Defense would be dominant this year and the offense a weak spot, but the defense was by far inferior to the O. You have no idea what might happen

You're right of course. We only lost 4 of 6 from the 2-deep at LB and 3/4's of the secondary from that overrated and underperforming defense. I'm sure it'll be great next year.

sooneron
1/15/2008, 06:31 PM
My bad we have a redshirt freshman, I cannot recall his name but he's supposed to be a heckuva CB. What's his name again?
Sam Proctor? The guy that mostly played RB in HS and was listed as an ATH? I hope you're right , btw.

Civicus_Sooner
1/15/2008, 06:32 PM
Dominique Franks is who I was thinking of. Thanks Collier.

Harry Beanbag
My bad we have a redshirt freshman, I cannot recall his name but he's supposed to be a heckuva CB. What's his name again?

Exactly. :)

sooneron
You're right of course. We only lost 4 of 6 from the 2-deep at LB and 3/4's of the secondary from that overrated and underperforming defense. I'm sure it'll be great next year.
LOL!!

Maybe we're just trimming the fat.

Harry Beanbag
1/15/2008, 06:33 PM
LOL!!

Maybe we're just trimming the fat.

No, BJW is still here. :( :)

Civicus_Sooner
1/15/2008, 06:37 PM
Anyone else think this is kind of a stretch? Is he a slam dunk first round draft pick?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/15/2008, 06:38 PM
Guess I'll have to enroll at OU again. I have a full 4 years of eligibility!!!

TheUnnamedSooner
1/15/2008, 06:43 PM
Bomar would have redshirted. The year PT redshirted would never have happened. Bomar didn't beat out PT even following both redshirting. There is no way in hell that a true Freshman would have beaten out the Jr. Back up QB.

I know Bomar didn't beat out PT after both redshirting, but PT only got to play 1/2 game before losing it to Bomar. The coaches WANTED Bomar but gave PT the nod. Who's to say that wouldn't have happened a year earlier?

This year a redshirt freshman beat out the Jr. Back up. I know redshirt is different than true, but it wouldn't have been unheard of.

Civicus_Sooner
1/15/2008, 06:47 PM
I know Bomar didn't beat out PT after both redshirting, but PT only got to play 1/2 game before losing it to Bomar. The coaches WANTED Bomar but gave PT the nod. Who's to say that wouldn't have happened a year earlier?

This year a redshirt freshman beat out the Jr. Back up. I know redshirt is different than true, but it wouldn't have been unheard of.
Man you are way off. PT was the better QB. Bomar was an int machine. Chuck Long in the reason Bomar was thrown in there after 1/2 of a game. PT should have gotten another chance and my original point was............None of that should have happened because PT should have started his JR and SR year.

Collier11
1/15/2008, 06:50 PM
Man you are way off. PT was the better QB. Bomar was an int machine. Chuck Long in the reason Bomar was thrown in there after 1/2 of a game. PT should have gotten another chance and my original point was............None of that should have happened because PT should have started his JR and SR year.

with that O-line, 05' woulda been rough regardless!

TheUnnamedSooner
1/15/2008, 06:51 PM

No one is disputing PT was the better QB and should have gotten another chance. I completely agree with that. And I would have liked to see PT start his JR and SR year. My whole argument is that JW did not hurt this team by coming back another year, in the fact of what happened in '05 could have happened in '04.

okienole3
1/15/2008, 06:56 PM

Poteat (sp) hasn't been on the team in three years, at least.

tulsaoilerfan
1/15/2008, 07:22 PM
FYI, i think the deadline to declare is actually midnight tonight

picasso
1/15/2008, 07:30 PM
I can see Reggie more than Lofton. Lofton just isn't big enough at this point.

Big Red Ron
1/15/2008, 07:44 PM
FYI, i think the deadline to declare is actually midnight tonightCOB (EST) at NFL's offices is what I read somewhere.

SOONER STEAKER
1/15/2008, 07:45 PM
Good Luk Reggie. I enjoyed watching you on Friday nights at Edmond SF and on Saturdays in Norman. Can't wait to see you on Sundays.

Collier11
1/15/2008, 08:13 PM
I can see Reggie more than Lofton. Lofton just isn't big enough at this point.
Of all of them, Reggie was the biggest stretch in that he got a 3 grade which puts him between rds 2-4, both Lofton and MK got 2's which puts them between 1-3. Lofton needed the money and couldnt have possibly played any better and he isnt going to suddenly run a 4.4 in one year and grow 3 inches either...

Dano7198
1/15/2008, 08:49 PM
Oh well....talent comes and talent goes. There is no doubt that Stoops has recruited the caliber of athlete necessary to maintain the program. Of greater concern to me is the mindset these athletes seem to acquire after a season or two on campus. One of two things has happened here in that they are over hyped to begin with or the coaching staff has lost its ability to keep them focused. Either way, I see a hungry Sooner squad when the leaves are falling and a complacent one when the snow is.

usmc-sooner
1/15/2008, 08:56 PM

I liked PT way more than Bomar but I think Bomar was a better QB.

Egeo
1/15/2008, 09:10 PM
a great dline can cover their inexperience up

cvsooner
1/15/2008, 09:23 PM
It's not like players don't graduate or leave, ever. That said, best of luck to Reggie, Malcolm and Curtis. There are always question marks and this stinks from a "man, what could have been" perspective. But there is always somebody else. Once upon a time, we were wondering if we'd find a quarterback to replace Jason White, or a linebacker to replace Rufus Alexander, or...you get the point.

Thanks for the memories, good luck and let's go look at the depth charts some more. Maybe there's a blue collar guy or two in there without the greatest of physical attributes, but a brain and a heart can sure make up for a lot of that.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/15/2008, 09:24 PM
Reggie is a 6 foot 200 lb corner...If he runs a great time, he'll get a nice pay check.

Soonerus
1/15/2008, 09:27 PM
Good luck Reggie, we will miss you...

Big Red Ron
1/15/2008, 09:28 PM
Reggie is a 6 foot 200 lb corner...If he runs a great time, he'll get a nice pay check.I've heard he's a 4.5 guy. Anyone know fo sho?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/15/2008, 09:36 PM
I've heard he's a 4.5 guy. Anyone know fo sho?

Ran a 4.47 at one point

sooneron
1/15/2008, 09:58 PM
Here is the thing people. As far as the big 12 I would take are back up DB's and linebackers over the majority of the big 12 teams. Think about this . we are Oklahoma . we get the best players around are bordering states. Even though we lost 2 great defensive players we still have excellent back up players. Would you agree that are number 2 defense and number 2 offense would beat at least 8 teams in the big 12.

So people don't worry we are Oklahoma WE DON'T REGROUP WE RELOAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
Do us a favor and learn how to ****ing spell "OUR". flippin tard.:rolleyes:

sooneron
1/15/2008, 09:59 PM
I hope Pedro is elected so that all of Reggie's wildest dreams come true.

Good Luck early leaver guys. I will be pulling for you.

BillyBall
1/15/2008, 10:07 PM
OU really needs for kids like Nelson, Carter, Jackson, and Franks to step up big time next year. Our secondary has been inconsistent at best for the past 7 years.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/15/2008, 10:09 PM
Has there ever been a player in the Stoops Doghouse as long as Keenan Clayton?

Collier11
1/15/2008, 10:44 PM

I dont think he is still in the Doghouse for the Washington game, I had heard that he is transitioning to LB...can anyone confirm this?

Breadburner
1/15/2008, 10:55 PM

Renaldo Works......

rainiersooner
1/15/2008, 11:04 PM
I have a ton of respect for any 18-22 year old who plays football for OU; that being said, Reggie never dominated like I thought he would...I'm okay with this.

rainiersooner
1/15/2008, 11:05 PM
OU really needs for kids like Nelson, Carter, Jackson, and Franks to step up big time next year. Our secondary has been inconsistent at best for the past 7 years.

I found myself missing Eric Bassey when I was watching the Fiesta Bowl. Now, that is bad.

Big Red Ron
1/15/2008, 11:11 PM
Our secondary has been inconsistent at best for the past 7 years.Which actually makes me okay with the losses of these guys. We'll probably have the best d-line in the country and an average backfield. I'm okay with that, I don't expect anything less. Weird because Stoops was a DB in college.

Collier11
1/16/2008, 12:39 AM
Not to be a conspiracy theorist but anyone notice that when MK decided to go pro, Stoops released an entire paragraph talking about him and his decision but with Reggie and Lofton it was a mere "they were good players, we wish them well". Does this speak to Coach Stoops level of disappointment in their decisions, the likelihood that they didnt listen to his advice, or am I reading too much into it...I honestly dont think I am?

goingoneight
1/16/2008, 12:47 AM
I said 2 weeks ago that we would only lose Kelly, and I felt strong about that statement...

I said a year ago that we'd lose Kelly. He's an NFL receiver playing college football. Same situation with AD. Some guys are just that good. And even if they aren't, they'll make more money on draft day than I'll make in my life to make up for NOT being good.

goingoneight
1/16/2008, 12:49 AM
Not to be a conspiracy theorist but anyone notice that when MK decided to go pro, Stoops released an entire paragraph talking about him and his decision but with Reggie and Lofton it was a mere "they were good players, we wish them well". Does this speak to Coach Stoops level of disappointment in their decisions, the likelihood that they didnt listen to his advice, or am I reading too much into it...I honestly dont think I am?

I don't think he's in town right now to be honest. It's down to the nitty-gritty with recruiting and we already have off-campus limitations for assistants recruiting thanks to the NCAA.

KingDavid
1/16/2008, 02:43 AM

70% - recruiting and busy.
20% - doesn't support/agree with the decision.
10% - bothered they didn't take his advice?

Pure speculation on my part.

KantoSooner
1/16/2008, 02:55 AM
Not that these guys won't be missed, but let's look at the bright side: this has got to make recruiting easier: those are three starting slots that just opened up.

Question when did the majority of NFL Europe guys enter the draft/look for places? Was it last year's roster/camp? Or will it be this year? Some decent talent there.

swardboy
1/16/2008, 08:31 AM
70% - recruiting and busy.
20% - doesn't support/agree with the decision.
10% - bothered they didn't take his advice?

Pure speculation on my part.
Wait...that adds up to 100%. That can't be right.

Gee Reggie, seems like you just committed to OU last month. Time sure flies when you get old....

toneful
1/16/2008, 11:59 AM
good luck.
Maybe that's why he chose to return punts from the 2 yard line all season long. He was auditioning his skills!

toneful
1/16/2008, 12:04 PM

probably something to it. There generally are no accidents/coincidences with things like this.

OUmillenium
1/16/2008, 12:31 PM
Wait...that adds up to 100%. That can't be right.

Gee Reggie, seems like you just committed to OU last month. Time sure flies when you get old....

We are using non-Dean Blevins math today. You can call it the "old math" if you want!;)

jkm
1/16/2008, 12:31 PM
i wouldn't be surprised if reggie is a UDFA. kelly had better hope detroit is picking a couple of times in the first round. lofton? i don't know. typically 'productive' college linebackers tend to be pretty good pro linebackers.

here is my question though - at what point does the OU pro curse start to drop these guys in draft position? neither kelly nor smith have made it through a season at OU healthy. given the penchant for OU players to have season ending injuries every year, would you draft one high?

SouthFortySooner
1/16/2008, 12:47 PM
The angst I'm feeling now is the great difference in being a fan of college football and not the pros. There are so many variables in putting together a "great" team or season. A team with heart can win in college over the more talented. Unbelievably, I'm looking forward to next year more now. :confused:, :)

Collier11
1/16/2008, 01:37 PM
i wouldn't be surprised if reggie is a UDFA. kelly had better hope detroit is picking a couple of times in the first round. lofton? i don't know. typically 'productive' college linebackers tend to be pretty good pro linebackers.

Reggie will be 3rd rd at worst unless he cant get healthy, to say he will be a UDFA is idiotic.

here is my question though - at what point does the OU pro curse start to drop these guys in draft position? neither kelly nor smith have made it through a season at OU healthy. given the penchant for OU players to have season ending injuries every year, would you draft one high?

It isnt a curse, it is the law of averages in the NFL. For every Calmus and Cody we have Tommie Harris, Roy, Wilson, Gregg, Pool, Ivey, etc. that havent been hurt at all.

Then you have INgram, Lehman, Bradley, etc. who have been hurt some but have played alot as well

jkm
1/16/2008, 02:09 PM
no, to say you know without a shadow of a doubt what kind of a run the draft is going to go on is idiotic. you have a guy who has no return skills, is recovering from a major injury to the extremities, has borderline to questionable speed, and wasn't a dominating corner in college. so unless a GM falls in love with him, you are talking 3-5 already. depending on how the draft makes its run (offense or defense early), it could sway from 2-4 to 5-UDFA.

Collier11
1/16/2008, 02:19 PM
no, to say you know without a shadow of a doubt what kind of a run the draft is going to go on is idiotic. you have a guy who has no return skills, is recovering from a major injury to the extremities, has borderline to questionable speed, and wasn't a dominating corner in college. so unless a GM falls in love with him, you are talking 3-5 already. depending on how the draft makes its run (offense or defense early), it could sway from 2-4 to 5-UDFA.

You are right that I dont know, but every mock draft and pro scout I have seen or heard has him 1-3 at worst, and they know quite a bit more than us dont ya think?

BillyBall
1/16/2008, 02:23 PM
It isnt a curse, it is the law of averages in the NFL. For every Calmus and Cody we have Tommie Harris, Roy, Wilson, Gregg, Pool, Ivey, etc. that havent been hurt at all.

Que?

Collier11
1/16/2008, 02:26 PM
Que?

I saw that after I posted it, but he has still had a pretty good injury free career thus far barring 6 games two years ago. The point is that injuries just happen in the NFL

BillyBall
1/16/2008, 02:30 PM
The point is that injuries just happen in the NFL

Agreed, its kind of a violent game...

jkm
1/16/2008, 02:40 PM
You are right that I dont know, but every mock draft and pro scout I have seen or heard has him 1-3 at worst, and they know quite a bit more than us dont ya think?

corner is one position that is like an EKG in the draft process. its been a while since i glanced at it, but last year there were only like 8 corners taken in teh first 3 rounds. of those, half were from non-bcs schools. there were several guys who were lauded as 1st round picks early that dropped to round 5 or lower (tarrell brown and irons) because of something that came out in the process.

Curly Bill
1/16/2008, 03:17 PM
i wouldn't be surprised if reggie is a UDFA.

I'm surprised that anyone would think this is even a remote possibility.

Curly Bill
1/16/2008, 03:24 PM
Three of the mock drafts I've seen have him going in the first round at #22, #27, and then again at #22. He has good size for a corner, good speed (to say borderline or questionable is an untruth), and good hips & feet, which in a DB is huge. Don't worry about lack of technique, the NFL figures they can take a guy with his abilities and get him "techniqued up"

Desert Sapper
1/16/2008, 05:15 PM
I am definitely excited to see who will step up in the Spring and Summer. I am very concerned about the 'open slots'. Namely:

SS (formerly DJ)
BCB (formerly Reggie)
FCB (formerly Marcus)
SLB (formerly Lew B)
MLB (formerly Curtis)

I think Lendy takes one CB, Dom takes the other. Some youngster (maybe Quinton Carter or Brian Jackson) takes SS (Nic has FS). The battle for the vacated LB positions should be fun. I'm thinking some combination of Lamont Robinson and Mike Reed, with either Box or Lewis stepping up (but could be somebody else, too).

The Maestro
1/16/2008, 05:23 PM
I hope I am wrong, but I fear that a few of these guys might join the Demond Parker Hall of Fame.

Reggie should have talked to guys like Derrick Strait and Woolfolk first. Oh, well...we move on.

Here's hoping for a record setting offense next year.

Scott D
1/16/2008, 05:27 PM

Donta Hickson

Harry Beanbag
1/16/2008, 05:29 PM
I hope I am wrong, but I fear that a few of these guys might join the Demond Parker Hall of Fame.

Reggie should have talked to guys like Derrick Strait and Woolfolk first. Oh, well...we move on.

Early entries have killed Bob Stoops. Parker leaving early forced him to pull Griffin's redshirt in '99 when Thornton broke his leg. Q in '03=NC win over LSU. Now we have these guys leaving which I believe=at least 3 losses next year.

Here's hoping for a record setting offense next year.

We're gonna need it.

The Maestro
1/16/2008, 05:38 PM
Early entries have killed Bob Stoops. Parker leaving early forced him to pull Griffin's redshirt in '99 when Thornton broke his leg. Q in '03=NC win over LSU. Now we have these guys leaving which I believe=at least 3 losses next year.

We're gonna need it.

Oh, you're just ****y cause your preggo wife can walk a half marathon and you get winded going to the fridge for another beer! :D

Harry Beanbag
1/16/2008, 05:46 PM
Oh, you're just ****y cause your preggo wife can walk a half marathon and you get winded going to the fridge for another beer! :D

No, I'm perfectly fine with that. I look at it as if she's been training to go to the fridge to get me another beer. Now she's able to make more trips. :)

Curly Bill
1/18/2008, 10:04 AM
Latest mock draft by Frank Coyle of draftinsiders.com has Reggie going at #10 to New Orleans. I think that's pretty optimistic, but it seems some others think more highly of Reggie then some of the posters on here do.

dabien
1/20/2008, 02:09 AM
i'm telling you guys
Reggie Smith left OU for his draft projection, and the return of Brent Venables.
how sad...

Big Red Ron
1/20/2008, 09:40 AM
Reggie was all world in HS (I'm from Edmond) and I was excited about him coming to OU. While he was better than many in College, he wasn't ever the best athlete on the field, like in HS. I have a bad feeling that he'll be a bust in the NFL if he goes anywhere near the top 10.

One thing about Reggie I'll always remember is how the whole stadium would chant, "Reggie, Reggie..." when about to return a punt his first season. After around the middle of his second season, I stopped chanting and by the end, I don't think anyone did it anymore.

GL Reggie. BTW, I think Marcus Walker is a better pure CB.

effay
1/20/2008, 11:26 AM
GL Reggie. BTW, I think Marcus Walker is a better pure CB.

I thought I was the only one who saw this. Marcus is going to be a steal for some team!

sparx1
1/20/2008, 01:29 PM

We had a Dr. Jeckel & Mr. Hyde team this year during the season..........and hopefully we now have Stoops attention focussed on how we could aim at the Big 12 Championship without losing attention on what happens thereafter!!!

tulsaoilerfan
1/20/2008, 01:43 PM
Reggie never seemed to be as fast to me after he injured his knee; i also think that switching him around so much from corner to safety and back couldn't have been good for him; i think his best days are ahead of him

EstablishedSooner1967
1/20/2008, 01:50 PM
I dont think he really lived up to the hype... of the 3 that left he needed to stay the most.. He is not a shut down corner and did not have that many INTs.... just your typical corner. 4 round at best.