PDA

View Full Version : Free Burritos For A Year in Norman (Freebirds)

Tailgate
1/15/2008, 01:57 PM
The new Freebirds (a great burrito chain) on Asp Avenue in Campus Corner is giving away burritos for a year to the first ten people in line when they open on Monday the 21st.

I wish I lived in Norman!!!!!!

crawfish
1/15/2008, 02:13 PM
Freebirds rocks!

Lucky Norman.

yermom
1/15/2008, 02:21 PM
interesting...

anyone seen where they are going in? you could literally throw a rock from there to Moe's, Pepe Delgado's or La Luna

IB4OU2
1/15/2008, 02:28 PM
interesting...

anyone seen where they are going in? you could literally throw a rock from there to Moe's, Pepe Delgado's or La Luna

Iv'e got an extra tent if you need to borrow one.

C&CDean
1/15/2008, 03:32 PM
I seriously hope that avatar is somebody doing shadow puppets of a retarded dog or something.

trwxxa
1/15/2008, 09:42 PM
wheat, rice, mixed cheese, steak, black beans, peppers and onions, pico de gallo and hot sauce.

Repeat

Welcome to Freebirds.

Somebody needs to take a picture of the inside and post. I sense a lifelike Barry Switzer on a motorcycle hanging from the ceiling.

CatfishSooner
1/15/2008, 09:45 PM
I saw that the other day....seriously worth camping for these burritos? that good?

GottaHavePride
1/15/2008, 10:21 PM
In a college town, a year of free burritos is worth camping out for even if they come from Taco Mayo.

CatfishSooner
1/15/2008, 10:32 PM
In a college town, a year of free burritos is worth camping out for even if they come from Taco Mayo.

I'd rather not have diarrea(sp?) for a year...jmo

trwxxa
1/15/2008, 10:40 PM
I saw that the other day....seriously worth camping for these burritos? that good?

The key is how tight they wrap those rascals. A regular should run you about $6 so you make the call. Make sure you get a card so you get a free one after you buy 10 (not all at once).

CatfishSooner
1/15/2008, 10:42 PM
The key is how tight they wrap those rascals. A regular should run you about $6 so you make the call. Make sure you get a card so you get a free one after you buy 10 (not all at once).

Thanks for the advice on not all at one....wouldn't want to look like the guy in your avatar...:texan:

Tailgate
1/15/2008, 10:44 PM
Yes, they are worth camping for. Someone please post pictures so we can view this madness.

Tailgate
1/16/2008, 11:35 AM
Anyone in line yet? Who is on campus and can scout for us?

I would have popped my tent last night.

Sooner_Bob
1/16/2008, 11:43 AM
I would have popped my tent last night.

:eek:

setem
1/16/2008, 09:27 PM
I wonder if this place is going to be anything like Chipotle?

http://www.chipotle.com/

My friends and I stopped at one on the way back from the OU/XT game and I am telling you. That **** was the bomb!!!

I may camp out!

Sooner_Havok
1/16/2008, 09:35 PM
I want to see this somewhere else before I believe a guy who's avatar is a hand doing the Satan geture

trwxxa
1/16/2008, 09:37 PM
I wonder if this place is going to be anything like Chipotle?

http://www.chipotle.com/

My friends and I stopped at one on the way back from the OU/XT game and I am telling you. That **** was the bomb!!!

I may camp out!

They are similar. After you have had a bird, you will forget chipotle exists.

setem
1/16/2008, 09:39 PM
I have been checking around. This place is supposed to be better than Chipotle and that is saying something! I checked their website and the place should open at 11am on Monday.

The whorn is just letting us in on some inside info. These Freebirds are only in Texas right now. Maybe this is some kind of Herps terrorist plan to take over Nompton?

yermom
1/16/2008, 09:55 PM
I want to see this somewhere else before I believe a guy who's avatar is a hand doing the Satan geture

there was a big insert in the Daily about it today

KC//CRIMSON
1/17/2008, 12:55 AM
Chipotle opens in Edmond on Friday.

tommieharris91
1/17/2008, 12:59 AM
Well, goodbye Moe's.

proud gonzo
1/17/2008, 01:24 AM
Chipotle opens in Edmond on Friday.damn it, why don't they put one in Norman?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/17/2008, 01:26 AM
I CAN'T GET PAST THE TEXAS SWASTIKA in the originator's avatar.

Jimminy Crimson
1/17/2008, 02:31 AM
Chipotle opens in Edmond on Friday.

They had free food tonight! :D

crawfish
1/17/2008, 02:34 AM
damn it, why don't they put one in Norman?

Stop whining. Freebirds >>>>> Chipotle. By a longshot.

(Had one for lunch today...)

yermom
1/17/2008, 02:35 AM
i have a hard time believing that...

but it sounds like i might be hitting Edmond at some point this weekend

tommieharris91
1/17/2008, 02:41 AM
Where does Freebirds rank on the Chipotle/Moe's/Bueno/other mexican fast foo joint scale?

I just wanna start the debate again.

crawfish
1/17/2008, 02:43 AM
i have a hard time believing that...

but it sounds like i might be hitting Edmond at some point this weekend

Three reasons:

1) Burrito wrapped nice and tight in foil. Less mess.
2) Availability of awesome queso.
3) Better steak.

The lines at Freebirds in Addison are consistently 2-3 times as long as for the Chipotle a few blocks away.

yermom
1/17/2008, 02:46 AM
1) hunh?
2) queso is the only thing Moe's has over Chipotle, but i can live without queso
3) i don't like the steak anywhere, really. barbacoa is the best thing about Chipotle. well, that and the salsas

Boomer.....
1/17/2008, 08:27 AM
Well, goodbye Moe's.
Nevar!

Boomer.....
1/17/2008, 08:28 AM
1) hunh?
2) queso is the only thing Moe's has over Chipotle, but i can live without queso
3) i don't like the steak anywhere, really. barbacoa is the best thing about Chipotle. well, that and the salsas
You forgot better taste and free chips and salsa. :cool:

1stTimeCaller
1/17/2008, 08:35 AM
I loved the Atomic Burrito on Lindsey. It was better than Chipotle by a long shot.

RIP Atomic Burrito.

LilSooner
1/17/2008, 08:50 AM
Atomic Burrito in Blanchard.

Your welcome in advanced.

1stTimeCaller
1/17/2008, 09:02 AM
then I would have to go to Blanchard. No thanks.

;)

Is it the same as the one in Norman, food wise?

proud gonzo
1/17/2008, 10:14 AM
Three reasons:

1) Burrito wrapped nice and tight in foil. Less mess.
2) Availability of awesome queso.
3) Better steak.

The lines at Freebirds in Addison are consistently 2-3 times as long as for the Chipotle a few blocks away.1) I don't order Burritos at chipotle anyway.
2) eh, you can get good queso a lot of places. it's not mandatory.
3) i don't order steak on things. i like barbacoa from chipotle. and the hot salsa. does freebirds have barbacoa and awesome hot salsa? if not, i'm not interested.

LilSooner
1/17/2008, 11:10 AM
then I would have to go to Blanchard. No thanks.

;)

Is it the same as the one in Norman, food wise?

Yeah pretty much. It's ran by two former models (why they chose to come to Blanchard 'merica is beyond me).

Its really good way better than stupid chipotle.

1stTimeCaller
1/17/2008, 11:14 AM
awesome. I'll have to stop by there next time I'm in the area.

KC//CRIMSON
1/17/2008, 01:39 PM
Chipotle = Best Chips & Guac EVAR.

"Chipotle Mexican Grill generates more than $1 billion in annual sales and has a stock-market value upwards of $4 billion" > Freebirds

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/ChipotleAddsMexicanSpiceToFastFoodFormula.aspx

Fraggle145
1/17/2008, 01:57 PM
Freebirds started in Aggieland. I hope they drive Moe's out of business. I ****ing hate Moe's.

Dumbass behind counter: Welcome to Moe's!!! (yells in face and then every 5 min)

Me: **** you. shut up and make my damn burrito. I have a hangover and your yelling sucks ***.

Jimminy Crimson
1/17/2008, 03:39 PM
Chipotle = Best Chips & Guac EVAR.

That's the ticket!

Tailgate
1/17/2008, 04:40 PM
QUOTED: "Chipotle Mexican Grill generates more than $1 billion in annual sales and has a stock-market value upwards of $4 billion" > Freebirds

This is because they were owned by McDonald's who had the power and cash to build them up and eventually sold it off to focus on the core brand.

Chipotle=McDonald's meat.

Freebirds will impress.

crawfish
1/17/2008, 04:49 PM
1) I don't order Burritos at chipotle anyway.
2) eh, you can get good queso a lot of places. it's not mandatory.
3) i don't order steak on things. i like barbacoa from chipotle. and the hot salsa. does freebirds have barbacoa and awesome hot salsa? if not, i'm not interested.

1) I love Nachos Freebird, too.
2) Yes, but you can't get it on your burrito at Chipotle, which sucks.
3) I like the hot salsa from each. Don't think they have barbacoa.

Give it a try, at least. :)

KC//CRIMSON
1/17/2008, 07:23 PM
QUOTED: "Chipotle Mexican Grill generates more than $1 billion in annual sales and has a stock-market value upwards of $4 billion" > Freebirds

This is because they were owned by McDonald's who had the power and cash to build them up and eventually sold it off to focus on the core brand.

Chipotle=McDonald's meat.

Freebirds will impress.

Mickey D's was only a shareholder and never had control over the franchise from the original founder. Who is still the Chief Executive and runs the table.

Ells had a similar revelation seven years ago while trying to figure out why Chipotle's shredded-pork carnitas weren't selling as well as its grilled chicken or steak. On a trip to an Iowa hog farm that raised animals in the open, rather than in pens, he made a discovery: Because they put on more fat living out in the open, their meat was tastier.

Although the meat was more expensive, Chipotle soon switched to the free-range-pork supplier. "The ability to invest in higher-quality food as you increase sales is the thing that really drives the business," Ells says of a resulting doubling in carnitas sales.

The idea has since been expanded into Chipotle's "Food With Integrity" initiative, which has adopted everything from humanely raised pork to hormone-free sour cream.

Ells says that most of his customers don't know -- and probably don't care -- whether the pork in their burrito is naturally raised, "but the higher-quality ingredients ultimately result in better-tasting food. No one else in the business can do that because their economic models are different."

To be sure, most purveyors of fast food, and even those in the more upscale "fast casual" category, have pursued a strategy of using the lowest-cost ingredients possible. In fact, "their labor costs are usually higher than their food costs," says Chipotle Chief Operating Officer Monty Moran. "But for us, it's the other way around."

Chipotle=McDonald's meat. = shut up.:rolleyes:

PhilTLL
1/17/2008, 07:47 PM
http://members.cox.net/phamilton/freebirds2.jpg

"These are most definitely the Badstreet burritos your mama warned ya bout a long time ago!"

Tailgate
1/17/2008, 09:45 PM
Ells was also seen in Freebirds several times before he opened Chipotle.

If you think Chipotle is better, then go get it!

Freebirds will win a taste test :)

Sooner98
1/18/2008, 12:06 AM
Atomic Burrito in Blanchard.

Your welcome in advanced.

You mean to tell me there's been an Atomic Burrito just down the road in Blanchard this whole time? WHY WASN'T I INFORMED???

Seriously, I've been lamenting the loss of Norman's AB for like, six years now, and all this time I thought the closest one was in Tulsa. Now, I've got AB in Blanchard, Chipotle in Edmond, and Freebirds right here in Norman? I'm in Burrito Heaven, baby!

setem
1/18/2008, 11:20 AM
You mean to tell me there's been an Atomic Burrito just down the road in Blanchard this whole time? WHY WASN'T I INFORMED???

Seriously, I've been lamenting the loss of Norman's AB for like, six years now, and all this time I thought the closest one was in Tulsa. Now, I've got AB in Blanchard, Chipotle in Edmond, and Freebirds right here in Norman? I'm in Burrito Heaven, baby!

You are going to be in the crapper for a long time too!!! Just saying....:D

1stTimeCaller
1/18/2008, 11:44 AM
I think they just built it in the last year or so. After Lil mentioned it I remember it going in there by the curve.

Tailgate
1/19/2008, 08:22 AM
Anyone in line at Freebirds yet? Need an update from campus!

Tailgate
1/19/2008, 10:10 PM
No line yet? I would camp two nights for free burritos for a year!

yermom
1/20/2008, 02:32 AM
as of like 10 minutes ago there was no line. i didn't see anyone, but i didn't look THAT close

tommieharris91
1/20/2008, 04:34 AM
Still no line.

Zing
1/20/2008, 08:48 PM
There have been people there since 4 AM... I talked with the manager. Now, however, they're doing employee training. What does that mean for me? Free food! Supposed to be invitation only, but talking my way in was simplicity itself.

Wow, freebirds is good stuff. Better than Moe's, at least. I haven't had chipotle in years, so I can't really compare.

yermom
1/20/2008, 09:05 PM
yeah, i heard there were tents out now

setem
1/20/2008, 09:41 PM
2 tents and a fire from what my friend told me.

tommieharris91
1/20/2008, 11:10 PM
I will drive by there and report teh shenanignaz.

tommieharris91
1/21/2008, 12:04 AM
People have started fires and stuff there. I think they burned a car.

setem
1/21/2008, 03:00 PM
Haha NICE!!!!

Must have been really good or really bad!