PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Size

royalfan5
1/15/2008, 10:41 AM
I will be replacing my current vehicle in the next couple of months, and I have decided to go from a mid-sized car to a small one. I've to this decision based on utility reasons, I rarely haul big objects or more than one person besides myself at a time. Plus, the cars I'm looking at would be more fuel efficient and agile. Anyway, I'm just curious as to how many people are uncomfortable in small cars, as opposed to larger ones.

C&CDean
1/15/2008, 10:44 AM
Men don't drive cars. I thought you were a farmer. There's several small pickups that would fit your needs nicely. Now if you say you've got an F-450 laying around at your disposal for hauling stuff I suppose it'd be OK to drive a Miata or something cheap and crappy like that.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/15/2008, 10:47 AM
It's okay, "size doesn't matter".

sooneron
I wish more people would come the conclusion that you have royal. Goodonya!

I know 3 girls back in Ok. that are unmarried and they drive Tahoes/Expeditions for no apparent reason other than being high up in traffic, for all I can tell.

royalfan5
Men don't drive cars. I thought you were a farmer. There's several small pickups that would fit your needs nicely. Now if you say you've got an F-450 laying around at your disposal for hauling stuff I suppose it'd be OK to drive a Miata or something cheap and crappy like that.But I work in the city, at a professional job. The cattle are handled in partnership with my Uncle which has a full array of equipment. Spending money on an inefficient vehicle to project a farmer image, instead of spending it on cattle is pretty stupid in my book.

sooneron
1/15/2008, 10:49 AM
What are you considering?

royalfan5
1/15/2008, 10:51 AM
What are you considering?
I haven't ruled anything but MoPar products yet. But everything else that is Mazda3 sized is under consideration at this point.

C&CDean
1/15/2008, 10:51 AM
But I work in the city, at a professional job. The cattle are handled in partnership with my Uncle which has a full array of equipment. Spending money on an inefficient vehicle to project a farmer image, instead of spending it on cattle is pretty stupid in my book.

Dude, I drive a Toyota Tacoma with a 4-cylinder and 5-speed to my gig in the big city. Hardly an "inefficient vehicle to project a farmer image."

Plus, if I do have to throw a bicycle in, or a few bags of feed, or some salt blocks, or some lumber, or some trash, or some plants, or even a couple extra people (I've got the x-tra cab) I can do it. It gets about 24 mpg. I've heard the Ford Rangers get about 28 or so.

royalfan5
1/15/2008, 10:57 AM
Dude, I drive a Toyota Tacoma with a 4-cylinder and 5-speed to my gig in the big city. Hardly an "inefficient vehicle to project a farmer image."

Plus, if I do have to throw a bicycle in, or a few bags of feed, or some salt blocks, or some lumber, or some trash, or some plants, or even a couple extra people (I've got the x-tra cab) I can do it. It gets about 24 mpg. I've heard the Ford Rangers get about 28 or so.
I also live 2 to 4 hours away from the cattle operations. When I am back to work on that stuff, I have a several trucks to choose from for operations. I have absolutely no use for a truck in the city. In a couple of years once I move south of Omaha, and set up shop, will I buy a truck then? Sure, but right now I truck wouldn't serve a purpose for me.

TopDaugIn2000
1/15/2008, 11:00 AM
I had thought about a Corolla until I had my wreck, now I won't drive anything smaller than a Camry, for safety reasons. I realize that when it's your time to go, nothing can stop ya, but physics DOES play a part. Camry gets 38 on road trips, 30 in city driving. I couldn't be happier.

C&CDean
1/15/2008, 11:02 AM
I also live 2 to 4 hours away from the cattle operations. When I am back to work on that stuff, I have a several trucks to choose from for operations. I have absolutely no use for a truck in the city. In a couple of years once I move south of Omaha, and set up shop, will I buy a truck then? Sure, but right now I truck wouldn't serve a purpose for me.

If you say so. But living/working the city you will still find many situations where you're saying "damn, wish I had a pickup right now."

The Mazda3 is a good vehicle. Not quite the standard of a Honda, Toyota, or Nissan, but still a solid car. I'm pretty sure they're cheaper to buy too.

royalfan5
1/15/2008, 11:06 AM
If you say so. But living/working the city you will still find many situations where you're saying "damn, wish I had a pickup right now."

The Mazda3 is a good vehicle. Not quite the standard of a Honda, Toyota, or Nissan, but still a solid car. I'm pretty sure they're cheaper to buy too.
I also have friends in the City that have trucks. If I really need one, which has happened maybe once a year, I borrow from them. If I need one for an extended period of time, I can trade vehicles for a couple of days with a family member. Buying for the exception, instead of the rule doesn't make much sense to me.

C&CDean
1/15/2008, 11:08 AM
Yeah, OK, I get it that you're buying a car and ain't interested in a truck. Rock on.

sooneron
1/15/2008, 11:09 AM
What about a subaru? [yermom bait]
I would guess that AWD would be good to have out there, no?

royalfan5
1/15/2008, 11:11 AM
What about a subaru? [yermom bait]
I would guess that AWD would be good to have out there, no?
The thoughts crossed my mind. I just can't really warm up to them though.

sooneron
1/15/2008, 11:14 AM
The thoughts crossed my mind. I just can't really warm up to them though.
One good thing, their site may be the only one where MPG is readily available for every vehicle on the drop down menu. One bad thing, their mileage isn't what the other japanese cars mileage is...

royalfan5
1/15/2008, 11:16 AM
One good thing, their site may be the only one where MPG is readily available for every vehicle on the drop down menu. One bad thing, their mileage isn't what the other japanese cars mileage is...
I drove a friends Outback extensively on a road trip awhile back, and while everything was nice and all, we averaged 16MPG. That kind of turned me off from Subarus.

yermom
1/15/2008, 11:49 AM
they aren't exactly gas savers... but 16MPG is more like what i get in my STi in the city, and that's the 300HP turbo version of the Impreza. on the highway it's closer to 20+

a base model (2.5i) is going to get a lot better than that, should be pushing 30 on the highway

i'm not sure what Outback you were in, but the Impreza is the smaller one, and it's really better for taller people than other Japanese cars i've been in. at least in the front seat.

sooneron
1/15/2008, 11:51 AM
they aren't exactly gas savers... but 16MPG is more like what i get in my STi in the city, and that's the 300HP turbo version of the Impreza. on the highway it's closer to 20+

a base model (2.5i) is going to get a lot better than that, should be pushing 30 on the highway
27 hiway as per subaru, which would be slightly inflated. Now if royal and his buddies are lead foots ...

sooneron
1/15/2008, 11:53 AM

Oh, and why is that? Why don't they get closer to 35 mpg? I realize you lose some mpg due to AWD, but do all subarus come with it?

yermom
1/15/2008, 11:58 AM
yeah, all Subarus are AWD

that is going to have some effect on the mileage, but also the smallest engine is a 2.5L 4 cylinder with 173HP, so it's got more power than most of the base models around. they seem to have pretty low final drive ratios for performance as well

i think they cater more to people that like to drive vs. people that want to save $$$

soonerbrat
1/15/2008, 12:45 PM
I haven't ruled anything but MoPar products yet. But everything else that is Mazda3 sized is under consideration at this point.

I love my Zoom Zoom!
I've always driven small cars though, so i don't know how much more comfortable i'd be in a big car

Mjcpr
1/15/2008, 01:31 PM
Does 'Merica not make cars anymore?

Commies.

OUDoc
1/15/2008, 01:32 PM
I'm between 6'3" and 6'4" and 250 lbs. I really wanted an Infiniti G35. I found out I don't fit into an Infiniti G35. The reality is that there are many cars I can't own comfortably (as Dean would point out, trucks are another issue). Other than that, I don't have a problem with small cars. With recent advances in 6-, 7-, and even 8-speed automatic transmissions, even mid-size and larger cars are getting MUCH better gas mileage (if that's what you're looking for).

BTW, within the last 2 years, my wife and I have downsized from having 2 cars (a Suburban and a GTO) with combined engines of 11 liters/635 HP to combined 6.8 liters and still with 530 HP. Fuel efficiency has gone way up too. It's much easier at the pump this way.

royalfan5
1/15/2008, 01:43 PM
Does 'Merica not make cars anymore?

Commies.
Ford controls Mazda. Two of the other brands I am strongly considering are American owned.

Oldnslo
1/15/2008, 01:47 PM
OMG!

I get better mileage in my supercharged BMW than yermom gets in his Subie!

Hell, I get 20+ MPG in my 1988 M3.

Both of which are ever so much keweler than a sti. I rawk.

...test drive a Mazdaspeed 3 and a Mini Cooper S.

SoonerJack
1/15/2008, 01:47 PM
I gave up my F150 4x4 when gas hit 2.35 a gallon. I got a Hyundai Tiburon, 4 cylinder 5 speed, very fun to drive, gets at least twice the mpgs as my truck used to. I miss my truck about 3 times a year.

yermom
1/15/2008, 01:49 PM
OMG!

talk to me when it rains or snows ;)

royalfan5
1/15/2008, 01:50 PM
OMG!

I just don't like hatchbacks. If there was a Mazdaspeed 3 that wasn't a hatch, I would be all over it.

OUDoc
1/15/2008, 01:52 PM
There is a Mazda3 sedan. Don't know if there is a Mazdaspeed (which is supposedly a rocket of a car) version of it.

royalfan5
1/15/2008, 01:53 PM
There is a Mazda3 sedan. Don't know if there is a Mazdaspeed (which is supposedly a rocket of a car) version of it.
There isn't for this model year, at least not yet. I've spent a lot of time playing with the various build and price things, and Mazda doesn't seem to have a sedan version right now.

C&CDean
1/15/2008, 03:30 PM
OMG!

Yeah, you get better mileage, but you're still driving a european POS fagmobile.

Whet
1/15/2008, 04:27 PM
I am uncomfortable in small cars. One reason is safety - back in the day, when I was at OU, I had a VW. On the way to class, I was driving down Imhoff, when a guy blew a stop sign and broadsided me on the driver's side. The only thing that kept me from sustaining very serious injuries was the other car was also a VW! My next car was a Buick Electra 222 (ok, a little overboard, but it got me through the rest of the year). Although, I have had a couple of 2-seaters, they were not the typical "small car." I just recently traded my Deville DTS in on a SRX, which is a smaller car, for me. I like having room to move around in the car, and without my shoulder hitting the window, as I drive. My brother has a Matrix, which I rode in during our Christmas visit to OK, and it was too small! We used to have a couple of neighbors that always drove those smaller cars, but they were both under 5'6 and on the lean side.

If you are accustomed to driving a medium-sized vehicle, I would try to find something within that range that you are comfortable with and meets the fuel mileage range. For example, GM makes several medium sized cars that get decent fuel mileage - the Grand Prix (to be re-introduced as the G-9) has fuel ratings of 18/28 for a 3.8L and 18/27 for 5.3L V8.

Also, think about the differences in a 30mpg small car and a 28mpg medium sized car - 2mpg difference... So, if you commute 50 miles/day, the difference will be about 0.12 gallons of fuel/day, or about 36 cents per day (based on $3/gal). For the week, the difference would be $1.80 and for the year; $93.60.

So, is $100/year worth being in a more comfortable and possibly safer ride? (That is like going to McDonalds every two weeks and getting a Big Mac meal during the year!)

birddog
1/15/2008, 04:49 PM
i bought my wife a 2006 toyota scion xa. and by my wife i mean me. it'll get me to moto riding season.

Oldnslo
1/15/2008, 05:36 PM
talk to me when it rains or snows ;)
winter tires have been on the 330 since 'bout the end of November. The rest of the time, it wears BFG KDW2's. I've never had a problem in the wet or even on ice.

The M3 doesn't see rain or snow.

euro fagmobile? But it's FABULOUS!

(fwiw, the only two guys I 100% know are gay? One drives an SUV and the other one drives a jeep. When they're not riding guy ***, that is).

1stTimeCaller
1/15/2008, 05:46 PM
I had a Pontiac G6 and really liked it. I'm a hair under 6'4" and was about 250 lbs when I had it. I thought it was comfortable and it got decent gas mileage.

I currently have a Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 extended cab diesel that is faster and has more horsepower than yermom's Outback. It also gets 28+ mpg on the highway. ;)

Mongo
1/15/2008, 05:49 PM
your truck isn't as fast as mine though

AllAboutThe'O'
1/15/2008, 06:14 PM
I went from a Dodge Neon to a Chevy Impala a couple of weeks ago and I haven't regretted it. Best thing for me about the new car, me being a 6-foot-3 guy that weighs somewhere between 235 and 240, was plenty of legroom. In fact, I even had to pull my seat forward instead of pushing it all the way back like I did in my old car.
Only drawback thus far is that I've got a bigger gas tank, so I'm spending a little bit more on gas than I should. It still gets good gas mileage, but the first time I filled it up, it nearly cost me $50, about double what I was paying for gas in the Neon.

yermom
1/15/2008, 06:25 PM
I had a Pontiac G6 and really liked it. I'm a hair under 6'4" and was about 250 lbs when I had it. I thought it was comfortable and it got decent gas mileage.

I currently have a Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 extended cab diesel that is faster and has more horsepower than yermom's Outback. It also gets 28+ mpg on the highway. ;)

more horsepower? maybe

faster? i'm gonna have to doubt that one ;)

and it's NOT an Outback :mad:

OCUDad
1/15/2008, 06:37 PM
When did this morph into the "testicle size" thread?

Mongo
1/15/2008, 06:39 PM

judging from your post, you must drive a Ford Festiva

tiny balls

Whet
1/15/2008, 06:47 PM

That discussion is HERE (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106803)

OCUDad
1/15/2008, 07:03 PM
judging from your post, you must drive a Ford Festiva

tiny ballsNice talk from a Prius driver. :mad:

BudSooner
1/15/2008, 07:37 PM
Oh damn, that was kinda low wasn't it?? :D

Lott's Bandana
1/15/2008, 08:40 PM
Bimmer

2 series or wait a bit for the new 1 series...

Only way to deal with being so small is to do it in safety, style and have some gitouttadaway mojo.

Might as well love it...