PDA

View Full Version : Home Healthcare

Oldnslo
1/15/2008, 10:31 AM
Sad to say, but Dad's condition has progressed to where he needs somebody to be there. Not 24/7 coverage, but someone part time.

I haven't got the first clue about what to do or who to call. Has anyone got a contact?

thanks!

OUDoc
1/15/2008, 10:36 AM
I don't know anyone in Tulsa. Pick your favorite hospital. Call them and ask to speak to a case manager or social worker and see who they'd recommend. Often (surprise) it will be the hospital's service, but sometimes not. It should at least get you started. (I assume the case manager would be willing to talk to you about this. If your dad's been in the hospital recently, see if you can get a hold of anyone there.)

Okla-homey
1/15/2008, 10:37 AM
Sad to say, but Dad's condition has progressed to where he needs somebody to be there. Not 24/7 coverage, but someone part time.

I haven't got the first clue about what to do or who to call. Has anyone got a contact?

thanks!

I know person who is a nursing home inspector/incident investigator for the state health dept. When and if it's time for a residential facility, give me a shout and I'll hook you up to get the skinny on the nicest ones in NE Oklahoma (or at least the ones to avoid)

Oldnslo
1/15/2008, 10:47 AM
thanks! I'm on it.

olevetonahill
1/15/2008, 07:17 PM
Good Luck to you and Your Dad bro .

Rogue
1/15/2008, 09:30 PM
Your local Area Agency On Aging can steer you toward good companies, explore options with you, etc. If your Dad is a vet, you're in luck as VA is getting serious about non institutional long term care these days.

The hospital social workers are a good recommendation. They probably have a list of agencies they refer to regularly in your town. The reputation of the company, like with nursing homes, is usually skewed based on a few of the vocal minority. For good and bad. It comes down to the quality of the person that comes to your Dad's house, and the likelihood that he will see the same 2 or 3 people over the long run. Turnover is a bad sign in these companies, and even the good ones probably have turnover rates that aren't great compared to other "industries."

PS: what town?