PDA

View Full Version : Bob hasn't lost his Mojo...

TJKDone
1/15/2008, 09:19 AM
Hey I love to sling mud at the Sooners as much as ANYONE, but I don't get the sentiment that Bob Stoops isn't doing a good job of preparing teams for bowl games.

Of the 4 recent BCS bowl losses I think only one could be easily argued that coaching was the difference. Boise State didn't have the same caliber of athletes that OU did and you guys should have beaten them.

But when I watched the games against LSU, USC, and WVU I really felt like talent was the difference. For whatever reason, I haven't seen the same kind of world beaters playing for you guys for several seasons.

Hook'em

sooneron
1/15/2008, 09:23 AM
Of the 4 recent BCS bowl losses I think only one could be easily argued that coaching was the difference. Boise State didn't have the same caliber of athletes that OU did and you guys should have beaten them.

But when I watched the games against LSU, USC, and WVU I really felt like talent was the difference. For whatever reason, I haven't seen the same kind of world beaters playing for you guys for several seasons.

Hook'em
Whereas I don't disagree with you, the usc staff was laughing at how we were so predictable on offense and defense.

SoonerFaninAZ
1/15/2008, 09:57 AM

Hook'em

When, exactly, did the Sooners have "world beaters"?

Let me see if I can answer my own questions. In 2000, the Sooners had "world beaters" on the roster because they went 13-0 and won the National Championship.

Obviously no world beaters in 2001 (11-2) and 2002 (12-2). Then 2003 rolls around and the Sooners look like "world beaters" but aren't because the talent wasn't as good as LSU's. Then in 2004, again they look like world beaters while compiling a 12-0 record in route to the Orange Bowl. Then they get out-talented by USC. 2005, 8-4. 2006, 11-3.

Then this season, while having a record of 11-2, still present a compelling argument for inclusion in the BCS title game. Ah, but they get beat by the more talented West Virginia team.

So, the Sooners have had "world beaters" only once in the last eight seasons. And what do you know, they went 13-0 that season.

Stands to reason.

85sooners
1/15/2008, 10:08 AM
i dont like losing

MextheBulldog
1/15/2008, 10:27 AM
:twinkies:

sooneron
1/15/2008, 10:35 AM
Then 2003 rolls around and the Sooners look like "world beaters" but aren't because the talent wasn't as good as LSU's.
Disagree. Six words for you -

Four pass plays in a row.

If we had won that game, would you say that they had better talent? Judging by your reasoning, no.

C&CDean
1/15/2008, 10:40 AM
All I can add to this conversation is this:

In every one of the games we lost players made HUGE mistakes at critical times. Anybody remember somebody touching a punt? Dropping a pass? Fumbling? Dropping interceptions?

It's easy to second-guess coaching decisions after the fact, but I submit that if our players played the flawless game some of you expect from our coaches, we'd be 3-1 and maybe even 4-0 over these past BCS debacles.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/15/2008, 10:44 AM
Hey I love to sling mud at the Sooners as much as ANYONE, but I don't get the sentiment that Bob Stoops isn't doing a good job of preparing teams for bowl games.

Hook'emThat's some silly sheet, fella/girl. The only team with possibly better athletes you mentioned was the suc crowd of '04, and even then it was very close. We were outcoached in all of those losses.

JohnnyMack
1/15/2008, 10:45 AM

Hook'em

In those 4 years you mention, you're 1 - 3 against us. What does that say about your talent?

JohnnyMack
1/15/2008, 10:56 AM
SC > OU
LSU = OU
BSU < OU
WVU < OU

That's the way I see it anyway.

1/15/2008, 11:07 AM
SC > OU
LSU = OU
BSU < OU
WVU < OU

That's the way I see it anyway.Ditto, but with Jason White healthy, we had more talent than LSU, IMO.

sooneron
1/15/2008, 11:17 AM
Gawd!! Johnny Mack, RLIMC and Sooneron agree on the same thing.

JLEW1818
1/15/2008, 12:38 PM
win or lose that 03-04 team had the best group of players in sooner history. I didnt say best team..

Blues1
1/15/2008, 12:38 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106759

Take a Look.....!!

SoonerFaninAZ
1/15/2008, 12:41 PM
Disagree. Six words for you -

Four pass plays in a row.

If we had won that game, would you say that they had better talent? Judging by your reasoning, no.

I'm using the original poster's logic.

You said you didn't disagree with him. He's the one that said that LSU had better talent.

NDN_Soonerfan
1/15/2008, 12:46 PM
Well i would say in the LSU game OU should of won (especially with a healthy Jason White). However against USC it was just simply outcoached, outclassed, USC was the better team. Against Boise St and West Virginia i think OU was just going through the motions, knowing they probably had better talent.

soonerlaw
1/15/2008, 12:53 PM
I have to disagree with a lot of people with the BSU game. Those guys, while possibly not better athletes than our guys, were a lot more experienced. Our team shuffled alot of players that year and still played a hell of a game and put in a hell of a season. I mean, how many of us really thought that team would go to a BCS, not to mention even play for a Big12 Title after we lost to Saxet. But they still hung in there and had a great stretch.

It seems to me what happeneds is that we always end up getting key players missing and/or injured by the time the bowl game rolls around. 2003 it was JW, 2006 it was Kelly and a 1st game back for AD, 2007 it was Kelly, Granger, Murray, Reggie, Lendy. Not to say that the injuries/suspensions is why we lost, but it would be nice to have your key playmakers there when you play your toughest competition.

zeke
1/15/2008, 12:56 PM

In every one of the games we lost players made HUGE mistakes at critical times. Anybody remember somebody touching a punt? Dropping a pass? Fumbling? Dropping interceptions?

It's easy to second-guess coaching decisions after the fact, but I submit that if our players played the flawless game some of you expect from our coaches, we'd be 3-1 and maybe even 4-0 over these past BCS debacles.

Thats it.

I wish all of the fire this coach or that one people could see it.

swardboy
1/15/2008, 01:42 PM
I have to disagree with a lot of people with the BSU game. Those guys, while possibly not better athletes than our guys, were a lot more experienced. Our team shuffled alot of players that year and still played a hell of a game and put in a hell of a season. I mean, how many of us really thought that team would go to a BCS, not to mention even play for a Big12 Title after we lost to Saxet. But they still hung in there and had a great stretch.

It seems to me what happeneds is that we always end up getting key players missing and/or injured by the time the bowl game rolls around. 2003 it was JW, 2006 it was Kelly and a 1st game back for AD, 2007 it was Kelly, Granger, Murray, Reggie, Lendy. Not to say that the injuries/suspensions is why we lost, but it would be nice to have your key playmakers there when you play your toughest competition.

Which is why we've got to stop playing in conference championship game...too much chance of injury and too little time to heal.

:D I keed.

MamaMia
1/15/2008, 02:25 PM
Just curious but what kind of bucks were the coaches who beat us taking home at the time?

sooneron
1/15/2008, 02:25 PM
I'm using the original poster's logic.

You said you didn't disagree with him. He's the one that said that LSU had better talent.
'Twas a typo, I fixed it. I typed no in stead of yes or whatever..

Stoop Dawg
1/15/2008, 02:30 PM
For whatever reason, I haven't seen the same kind of world beaters playing for you guys for several seasons.

Hook'em

Then you haven't been watching our games.

Or the NFL this year, for that matter.

Stoop Dawg
1/15/2008, 02:37 PM

Sorry Dean, I didn't see any of those things against WVU. Not big ones, anyway. Missed tackles? Yes. Players out of position? Yes. Penalty after penalty after penalty? Yes.

Our offensive line didn't show up until the second half, and our defense didn't even make the trip. Bob makes $2+ mil per year, and WVU didn't even have a head coach (officially). If I were Bob, I'd be pretty embarrassed, regardless of the "real" reason we lost (players, coaching, injuries, etc.).

Maybe Bob takes some unfair blame for the poor play of the players, but I'm 100% certain he has also received some of the glory (not to mention money) from the great play of the players too. It just comes with the job.

Jacie
1/15/2008, 03:09 PM

Careful, you might upset the fragile psyche of an entire state that truly believes they beat the equivalent of 47-0 and 7 National Titles coached by Bud, Barry and Bob all at once. I draw some comfort from OUr team having played in the "Greatest Bowl Game Ever" but the idea that Oklahoma was the typical Goliath it has been some years is the myth and I am darn glad you interjected a bit of the truth on the matter.

Curly Bill
1/15/2008, 03:22 PM
Who is this Mojo guy the thread title spoke of, where has Bob put him, and is there any chance he could be our defensive coordinator next year?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/15/2008, 03:35 PM
I think he loaned it to Austin Powers.

Maybe someone can go on ebay while we are at it and purchase a little more of this swagger that everyone seems to talk about. :D

1/15/2008, 03:40 PM
I think he loaned it to Austin Powers.

Maybe someone can go on ebay while we are at it and purchase a little more of this swagger that everyone seems to talk about. :DSwagger is what we have too much of. Determination to play our best-not so much.

Egeo
1/15/2008, 04:14 PM
players from 2003 lsu on nfl teams:

joseph addai rb starts for colts
eric alexander lb starts for patsies
dwayne bowe wr starts for chiefs
micheal clayton wr 1000 yds rec as a rook
travis daniels db
craig davis wr starts for chargers
randall gay db started in a super bowl?
devery henderson wr led league in ypc last year
donnie jones p
laron landry db 6th? pick in the draft last year (started in 03 as a frosh)
nate livings ol
rudy niswanger ol
stephen peterrman ol starts for lions
ronnie prude db
jarmcus russell qb
marcus spears dl starts for cowboys
corey webster db started 1st 3 games this year
andrew whitworth ol starts for bengals
ben wilkerson ol
kyle williams dl gets playing time with the bills

plus marquise hill if he wouldnt have died in a jet ski accident during this last summer

PLaw
1/15/2008, 04:54 PM

Hook'em

Wow, the Big 12 Champ gives up 55, 43, and 48. The rest of the conference talent must really be bad.

Oh yeah, in the LSU loss, we spanked the t-sips 65-13. So how bad was the whorn talent?

Sorry, the talent at OU and texass is as good as any place in the country. My man, Bob, (and I do respect coach Stoops and what he has done), got taken to the wood shed.

BOOMER

PLaw
1/15/2008, 04:55 PM

travis daniels db
donnie jones p
nate livings ol
rudy niswanger ol
ronnie prude db
jarmcus russell qb
ben wilkerson ol

plus marquise hill if he wouldnt have died in a jet ski accident during this last summer

Well done - nice research.

TexasLidig8r
1/15/2008, 05:24 PM
I draw some comfort from OUr team having played in the "Greatest Bowl Game Ever" . . .

???? :confused:

TJKDone
1/15/2008, 10:37 PM

travis daniels db
donnie jones p
nate livings ol
rudy niswanger ol
ronnie prude db
jarmcus russell qb
ben wilkerson ol

Like I said the only reason that game was even close was because of the outstanding coaching job by Stoops. Talent has been the difference. You just haven't had as much since Roy and the gang left.

Hook'em

TJKDone
1/16/2008, 12:07 PM
I've seen a list posted before, but I'd be interested to see it again. There were A LOT of future NFL players on the 2000 team that won the championship.

It wasn't hardly the David slaying goliath many sooners want to believe.

Hook'em

toneful
1/16/2008, 12:10 PM
Whereas I don't disagree with you, the usc staff was laughing at how we were so predictable on offense and defense.

WVU saw our run plays evolve and greeted our RB to their spot before they themselves got there. They had those plays pegged before the first snapp. We came to the game with no wrinkles and assumed cause we're OU we should be ok i n every regard.

NDN_Soonerfan
1/16/2008, 12:23 PM
The OU-WVU game reminded of the Tampa Bay-Oakland Super Bowl. Because it seemed like they were ready for every play especially the running game.

OUmillenium
1/16/2008, 12:27 PM
Yes, toneful...as we have for the past 5-6 years.

Vanilla offense unless we are up 21+ at home versus a weak opponent.

Where was the Malcolm Johnson reverse package that we saw against Miami?
Didn't even need it at that point in the game v. Miami. Could have used some v. Colorado...or Texas Tech...or Bowl Game.

The best coaches in any sport use all means they have to put players in positions to win. That includes not being predictable in all that you do.