PDA

View Full Version : Blake Injury Update?

OUSKINS
1/15/2008, 07:51 AM
After the KSU game, I knew we'd be 0-2 in the Big 12 and I wasn't overly concerned about it--- IMO, we're 0-2 against the two most talented teams in the conference.

But our season hangs in the balance with Blake's injury. If he's gone for the year, obviously our season is toast. We'd be in full "maybe we can somehow make the NIT mode."

If Blake is out for several weeks, then our NCAA hopes dwindle, but there is still reason for optimism late in the year.

If Blake is out for only a week or two, then we should be able to survive that.

And of course, if he's back in the next game or two, then all is fine.

The next three games are huge (Tech and OSU at home, at Baylor). All games we could/should win. With Blake, I honestly think we go 3-0, get to 3-2 in the Big 12 and 15-5 overall, and start looking pretty good. Without him, each of those games is a toss-up, and I'd be shocked if we won all three.

I know there are a few on here with some "inside" info....anyone that hears word about Blake, please post here. Thanks!

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/15/2008, 09:00 AM
After the KSU game, I knew we'd be 0-2 in the Big 12 and I wasn't overly concerned about it--- IMO, we're 0-2 against the two most talented teams in the conference.

But our season hangs in the balance with Blake's injury. If he's gone for the year, obviously our season is toast. We'd be in full "maybe we can somehow make the NIT mode."

If Blake is out for several weeks, then our NCAA hopes dwindle, but there is still reason for optimism late in the year.

If Blake is out for only a week or two, then we should be able to survive that.

And of course, if he's back in the next game or two, then all is fine.

The next three games are huge (Tech and OSU at home, at Baylor). All games we could/should win. With Blake, I honestly think we go 3-0, get to 3-2 in the Big 12 and 15-5 overall, and start looking pretty good. Without him, each of those games is a toss-up, and I'd be shocked if we won all three.

I know there are a few on here with some "inside" info....anyone that hears word about Blake, please post here. Thanks!

Unfortunately at this point it is possible that even Blake doesn't know how severe it is.

There is no doubt that any hope of an NCAA tourney bid hangs in the balance with Blake coming back and soon.

birddog
1/15/2008, 09:34 AM
LAWRENCE, Kan, — Oklahoma freshman Blake Griffin left less than five minutes into the game with a left knee injury and did not return Monday night in the Sooners' 85-55 loss to Kansas.

OU's star forward said doctors believe he suffered a sprained MCL. An MRI will be performed today, at which time the team will have a better idea on the timetable for his return.

Griffin jumped for a rebound with 15:04 left in the first half and the Sooners trailing 11-2. He landed awkwardly and his left knee buckled inward.

Last week, the Sooners lost reserve forward Keith Clark because of academic issues, leaving Jeff Capel's frontcourt depleted.

After Griffin's injury, Capel used walk-on and Winfield, Kan., native Beau Gerber as a substitute to rest his only two available forwards, Longar Longar and Taylor Griffin.

Obviously dejected by both the injury and the loss, Blake Griffin tried to remain positive in lieu of his uncertain immediate future.

"We have a lot of guys that are capable of playing well and capable of helping this team,” he said. "This could help us in the long run. We have to look at it as a positive and not worry about it.”

stoopified
1/15/2008, 09:34 AM
We need some good news for a change.First we lose Clark and now Blake goes down,what next?Without Blake OUr seaspn is in the crapper.

NormanPride
1/15/2008, 10:42 AM
Of all the *CLs, isn't the MCL the easiest to heal? Something about the amount of blood flow to the area. Here's hoping the kid heals up quickly! It must be terrible for him not getting to play!

SleestakSooner
1/15/2008, 03:28 PM
the look on his face after the injury made me realize how scared he was that his playing days might be over. It's no wonder they leave early to take the money these days. Never know when or where you might have that career ending injury.

Get better soon Blake, we need ya in a bad way.

Boomer.....
1/15/2008, 03:45 PM
This wont be career ending or hopefully even season ending, but you could see the worry and disgust on his face after he came out of the locker room.

OKC-SLC
1/15/2008, 03:54 PM
I can't seem to find any official word on the result of the MRI this am. Is this information out there?

the_ouskull
1/15/2008, 03:56 PM
If it is an MCL, he could likely be back by the next game or two; especially if it's a sprain. He's pretty yoked up, so chances are that he won't need any kind of surgery (maybe an offseason cleaning) or extended rehab.

But, you never know for sure. I hated to see us lose him 5 minutes in, but it gave me a chance to see some of our other guys try to step up. It was nice to watch the game and not get mad at it. Longar looks like he's finally playing like he should have started playing 2 years ago. (Then again, it's just one game. My opinion of him hasn't changed.. yet...) Taylor, other than jacking up 3's (what?) seemed like he played fairly well.

Also, am I the only person that doesn't care too awfully much about us losing Clark? It's not like we've had him since he got here anyway.

the_ouskull

OUSKINS
1/15/2008, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I've been checking the board on and off all day and still no official info??? Makes me kind of nervous.

We have a pretty big break right now......one game between now and the 26th at Baylor. If it's not too serious, he could just sit out the Tech game this Saturday and then return the following Saturday, with almost two full weeks of rest.

OUSKINS
1/15/2008, 04:43 PM
Also, am I the only person that doesn't care too awfully much about us losing Clark? It's not like we've had him since he got here anyway.

the_ouskull

No, you are not. I don't consider it a major blow either. He simply wasn't on the floor enough in either of his two years for his absence to felt in any tangible way. Sure, it hurts depth a bit, but Clark was not going to be the difference between us making the Dance this year, etc....

He had potential, but he was also w/o a position. Looks like Capel can recruit, so it's sad....but it's almost like he was never here.

Don't mean to sound harsh, I wish him the best, I really do, but I don't think it's a big blow to the team.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/15/2008, 04:55 PM
No, you are not. I don't consider it a major blow either. He simply wasn't on the floor enough in either of his two years for his absence to felt in any tangible way. Sure, it hurts depth a bit, but Clark was not going to be the difference between us making the Dance this year, etc....

He had potential, but he was also w/o a position. Looks like Capel can recruit, so it's sad....but it's almost like he was never here.

Don't mean to sound harsh, I wish him the best, I really do, but I don't think it's a big blow to the team.

I'd agree that next year he (Clark) probably won't be missed so much but right now I think Clark at least would contribute as much as much or more than Neysmith. If Blake misses any time we are basically looking at Longar and Taylor Griffen as our complete frontcourt. I know that Clark wasn't really playing in the frontcourt but he had size.

I think Cade Davis will benefit from the added playing time but we aren't deep enough to be losing any more players.

Now if Blake Griffin comes back and is fine than yeah I think we are in pretty good shape.

OUSKINS
1/15/2008, 05:13 PM
I'd agree that next year he (Clark) probably won't be missed so much but right now I think Clark at least would contribute as much as much or more than Neysmith. If Blake misses any time we are basically looking at Longar and Taylor Griffen as our complete frontcourt. I know that Clark wasn't really playing in the frontcourt but he had size.

I think Cade Davis will benefit from the added playing time but we aren't deep enough to be losing any more players.

Now if Blake Griffin comes back and is fine than yeah I think we are in pretty good shape.

My point is that if Blake is out, we're aren't going to be very good, and I don't think Clark would have made much of a difference in that regard.

Let's just all hope Blake is OK!

stoopified
1/15/2008, 05:35 PM
Is Clarka great player?No.BUT he is a solid player and he has SIZE at 6'8 240 that we desperately need.This is even more true if Blake is gone or limited,however since Clark IS gone this is a moot point.I keep hoping(vainly) that Gresham,Adrian Taylor or someone else with size will walk-on from the football team.Lack of interior muscle depthwise will kill us because even a semi- healthy Blake teaming with L2 will not be enough to carry us to an NCAA spot.IF Blake is 100% healthy depth inside will STILL be a problem as Taylor has shown less IMHO than Clark did.

SleestakSooner
1/15/2008, 06:42 PM
Is Clarka great player?No.BUT he is a solid player and he has SIZE at 6'8 240 that we desperately need.This is even more true if Blake is gone or limited,however since Clark IS gone this is a moot point.I keep hoping(vainly) that Gresham,Adrian Taylor or someone else with size will walk-on from the football team.Lack of interior muscle depthwise will kill us because even a semi- healthy Blake teaming with L2 will not be enough to carry us to an NCAA spot.IF Blake is 100% healthy depth inside will STILL be a problem as Taylor has shown less IMHO than Clark did.

I think Taylor is a much better defender than Clark ever would have been. Clark had a nice deep shot but was worse than Taylor near the basket. Most people probably expect more from Taylor simply because of his brother's skills.

I sure hope someone besides Longar will step up and play well. Godbold tried and Crocker shows the heart, they just aren't comfortable and get nervous when they play in the spotlight.

Crimsontothecore
1/15/2008, 06:51 PM
Soonersports is reporting it is a sprained MCL and he will miss 4 weeks.

tommieharris91
1/15/2008, 07:20 PM
I bet he comes back earlier if it is a sprained MCL.

ultimatesooner1
1/15/2008, 07:42 PM
Here's the story from Soonersports:

Griffin Diagnosed with Sprained MCL

Freshman forward will miss up to four weeks of action.

Jan. 15, 2008

NORMAN, Okla. - Oklahoma freshman forward Blake Griffin sustained a sprained medial collateral ligament in his left knee Monday during the Sooners' game at Kansas and is expected to miss up to four weeks of action, according to head coach Jeff Capel.

Griffin underwent an MRI on Tuesday afternoon. No surgery will be required.

Griffin, who injured the knee with 15:06 remaining in the first half when he landed awkwardly after jumping for a rebound, left the game and did not return.

"We're very glad it's not season ending or career threatening," said Capel. "But it's a huge blow to our team. Blake is our leading scorer and rebounder, and has been playing his best basketball. He was really starting to become the dominant player that we knew he could be.

"Blake's injury affects our frontcourt depth, but it also presents an opportunity for other guys to step up. They have to be ready. We're not going to make any excuses."

Griffin, who was named Big 12 Rookie of the Week on Monday morning after averaging 26.5 points and 10.5 rebounds in two games last week, entered the Kansas game ranked ninth in the Big 12 in scoring (15.4 ppg), third in rebounding (9.1 rpg) and second in field goal percentage (.600). He had scored in double figures in nine straight contests and was averaging 20.8 points and 12.0 rebounds over the previous five games.

Oklahoma's next game is Saturday at home against Texas Tech at 3 p.m. The Sooners then have a week off before playing at Baylor on Jan. 26.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m...011508aac.html

link from soonersports (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m...011508aac.html)

damn, 4 weeks - Capel can't catch a break

tulsaoilerfan
1/15/2008, 08:01 PM
4 weeks is better than the rest of the season, but it's a huge blow to our tourney chances; hopefully we can play .500 ball till he gets back

Collier11
1/15/2008, 08:22 PM
The one good thing about this injury(and trust me im not saying Im glad the guy got hurt) is that it will allow him to catch up mentally a little more and make it less likely that he will leave early so we can team him up with Willie Warren!!!

Get better Fast though so we can make a tourney run!

tommieharris91
1/15/2008, 10:53 PM
I would think this makes it more likely that he leaves. His basketball career probably flashed before his eyes in Lawrence.

Ash
1/15/2008, 11:01 PM
Without Blake, this is going to be a team much like last year where it's going to have to be a knock down drag out fight to get any wins in conference. Tech is soft this year, so maybe they're not that hard but the conference is fairly deep this year. I don't see many easy games down the road.

crawfish
1/16/2008, 08:25 AM
Why does this seem to always happen. :(

Get well quick, Blake.

OUSKINS
1/16/2008, 10:00 AM
OK, damage control time.

I looked at the schedule. I think most fans have a fairly simple goal-- keep our at-large chances alive for the Big Dance.

I think we all still agree that 9-7 in the Big 12 would probably put us in, especially if we had a good showing in the conference tourney.

Without Blake, is that 9-7 goal still possible?

IMO, doubtful, but not impossible.

If Blake misses the full 4 weeks, that will put him out for 7 games.

If we can go 3-4 in those games, then we'll have a chance to finish 6-1 down the stretch when he returns. If we can somehow get to 4-3 in the games he misses, then I think going 5-2 WITH him seems fairly realistic.

Iowa St. in Norman and at Colorado should be wins regardless. At Texas A+M and Texas in Norman are basically automatic losses w/o Blake. That's 2-2 over the 7 he'll likely miss.

That leaves 3 "swing" games. OSU and Tech at home and at Baylor. Win one of those, and you keep some slim at-large hopes alive. Win two, and we're in decent shape.

Interestingly enough, those three swing games are all in a row right now. Gotta find a way to beat Tech on Saturday.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/16/2008, 11:03 AM
I'm no doctor but I wouldn't be suprised if it is closer to 2 weeks than 4. I know 2 people that had similar (or at least similar in that they were sprained MCLs) and they both missed 2-3 weeks.

Then again as OUSKINS said the 3 biggest swing games are going to be played before Blake is back regardless.

Ideally we can win at least 2 of the next 3 games and then we go to A&M where it will be tough to win with or without Blake. Texas is then on Wed Feb 6, 3 weeks from today. Barring any setbacks I think it is possible I think that Blake might be back.

I think though if we aren't 2-5 after the Texas game we are looking at NIT and not NCAA tourney 2-5 or better with Blake back and we at least have a chance to play our way back in.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/16/2008, 11:05 AM
Save a whale. Double post.

OUmillenium
1/16/2008, 11:40 AM
I completely tore my MCL(7 years ago) and never had it fixed. Painful for a few months and you lose some lateral explosion.

With today's therapy/medication he should be back soon, but will lose some vertical and lateral explosiveness. So in other words, it will be like he is playing with a tiny particle of kryptonite in his knee pad, nothing more.

Boomer.....
1/16/2008, 12:48 PM
OK, damage control time.

I looked at the schedule. I think most fans have a fairly simple goal-- keep our at-large chances alive for the Big Dance.

I think we all still agree that 9-7 in the Big 12 would probably put us in, especially if we had a good showing in the conference tourney.

Without Blake, is that 9-7 goal still possible?

IMO, doubtful, but not impossible.

If Blake misses the full 4 weeks, that will put him out for 7 games.

If we can go 3-4 in those games, then we'll have a chance to finish 6-1 down the stretch when he returns. If we can somehow get to 4-3 in the games he misses, then I think going 5-2 WITH him seems fairly realistic.

Iowa St. in Norman and at Colorado should be wins regardless. At Texas A+M and Texas in Norman are basically automatic losses w/o Blake. That's 2-2 over the 7 he'll likely miss.

That leaves 3 "swing" games. OSU and Tech at home and at Baylor. Win one of those, and you keep some slim at-large hopes alive. Win two, and we're in decent shape.

Interestingly enough, those three swing games are all in a row right now. Gotta find a way to beat Tech on Saturday.
I think we have a great chance to beat TT and OSU at home.

OUSKINS
1/16/2008, 01:40 PM
I think we have a great chance to beat TT and OSU at home.

Oh, we definitely have a "chance" to win those games. As a matter of fact, I'd put both of them at 50/50 at this point. And we should beat ISU and CU. And we "could" still beat Baylor in Waco.

If all of those go our way, then we're looking at 5-2 in the 7 games Blake will likely miss. That would be outstanding.

But with 4 50/50 games on the schedule, the chances of winning all 4 aren't very good at all.

tommieharris91
1/16/2008, 02:29 PM
Missing 2 weeks would make him questionable @Baylor and probable for aggy, right?

SleestakSooner
1/16/2008, 02:46 PM
right

Ash
1/16/2008, 03:20 PM
Baylor in Waco is going to be a tough game. Baylor is a solid squad.

OUSKINS
1/16/2008, 04:53 PM
Baylor in Waco is going to be a tough game. Baylor is a solid squad.

I view that game as tougher than either Tech or OSU (in Norman). Plus, doesn't Baylor have to beat us at something....someday??

Boomer.....
1/16/2008, 05:10 PM
I view that game as tougher than either Tech or OSU (in Norman). Plus, doesn't Baylor have to beat us at something....someday??
No. :cool:

SleestakSooner
1/16/2008, 06:55 PM
Missing 2 weeks would make him questionable @Baylor and probable for aggy, right?

OK the oSu game is also on Big Monday exactly two weeks from the date of the KU game. So... IF Blake can make it back in two weeks he will most likely play against aggie-lite.

OSU managed to lose to BU last night after leading for most of the game. Hopefully the ole poke choke will apply when they come to Norman. Instead of some mOron like Gottleib actually hitting a shot or something.