PDA

View Full Version : Another rival

CORNholio
1/14/2008, 10:08 PM
Not that OU needs another rival, but hypothetically, if they could start an annual rivalry with another out of conference school who would you like to see OU play? aTm and Arkansas have decided to become rivals for some reason I don't understand but I would have much rather seen an OU vs. Arkansas rivalry. Regardless should be a good series.

85sooners
1/14/2008, 10:11 PM
usc

BASSooner
1/14/2008, 10:12 PM
bama

CORNholio
1/14/2008, 10:18 PM
I would have rather seen an annual aTm-LSU game in Reliant stadium than the Jerry World Bowl. Or even Tejas-LSU. As for OU I would love to see a Domer-OU game but ND plays pretty much the same teams every year and they seem to consider everyone of them a sacred rivalry, so not very much room for another one.

OKmanUbet
1/14/2008, 10:20 PM
I would like to see an Arkansas rivalry too.... also maybe Tennesse or Michingan!

CORNholio
1/14/2008, 10:22 PM
bama

That would be great. Two traditional schools, pretty much the same colors, a bit of a drive to Tuscaloosa but it would be awesome and a tough game every time. I'm sure it would turn into an SEC vs. Big 12 thing though. But Bama seems to be the most reasonable team in the SEC since they don't depend on "the conference" for greatness.

bri
1/14/2008, 10:26 PM
Yeah, real rivalries form organically over time. You don't just wake up one day, randomly pick someone and go "You're our rivals now!"

Well, you know, unless you're Colorado or aggy.

CORNholio
1/14/2008, 10:28 PM
Yeah, real rivalries form organically over time. You don't just wake up one day, randomly pick someone and go "You're our rivals now!"

Well, you know, unless you're Colorado or aggy.

Just hypothetical. Maybe replace "rivalry" with "annual series". We used to have Texas OOC. I enjoyed the rivalry with a non-conference foe.

bri
1/14/2008, 10:38 PM
Yeah, Texas every year OOC was special, but now I like having the ability to play different people each year. Still, I could do with a lengthy series with ND. Maybe we could rattle off a few wins in a row and even up the series.

CORNholio
1/14/2008, 10:42 PM
Yeah, Texas every year OOC was special, but now I like having the ability to play different people each year. Still, I could do with a lengthy series with ND. Maybe we could rattle off a few wins in a row and even up the series.

That would be great. A good OOC series also erases the whole national perception that OU cruises through an easy schedule. Mizzou's series with Illinois helped to give them a shot in the arm in terms of national perception somewhat.

bri
1/14/2008, 10:46 PM
Well, the problem with trying to impress people with your non-conference schedule is that these contracts are signed so far in advance, you have no idea or control over how good these teams will be in the future. See our series with Miami and Washington, for example.

CORNholio
1/14/2008, 10:49 PM
Well, the problem with trying to impress people with your non-conference schedule is that these contracts are signed so far in advance, you have no idea or control over how good these teams will be in the future. See our series with Miami and Washington, for example.

Very true. But if you make a 9 or 10 year deal like Arkie and aTm did then you have much better odds of it being a big game a few times in those 10 or so years.

bri
1/14/2008, 10:52 PM
Holy crap, 9 or 10 years? Pass.

goingoneight
1/14/2008, 11:14 PM
Miami... so that when 20 years pass and the 'Canes have only won two or three matchups, people would stop saying they're better than us. With the exception of 2007, it seems like everytime we play Miami and Notre Dame they catch some kind of lucky break. Like us being in a down year, first-year head coach, quarterback gets injured...

AlabamaSooner
1/14/2008, 11:14 PM
I still think OU/Bama would be a good series of 5-10 games. Both of those games in 02 and 03 were awesome atmospheres. Tons of respect on both sides and it really made it enjoyable. Plus, the colors aren't that bad either. ;)

bri
1/14/2008, 11:30 PM
Miami... so that when 20 years pass and the 'Canes have only won two or three matchups, people would stop saying they're better than us. With the exception of 2007, it seems like everytime we play Miami and Notre Dame they catch some kind of lucky break. Like us being in a down year, first-year head coach, quarterback gets injured...

Dude, Miami flat-out owned us in the 80's. We were completely outclassed in every game by them. That's why we scrapped the wishbone and started recruiting speed players.

Collier11
1/14/2008, 11:43 PM
notre dame

Collier11
1/14/2008, 11:45 PM
Dude, Miami flat-out owned us in the 80's. We were completely outclassed in every game by them. That's why we scrapped the wishbone and started recruiting speed players.

20-14 and 28-16 on the road against the #2 team both times is being completely outclassed?

SOONER STEAKER
1/14/2008, 11:55 PM
Bama would be great. I'd also like to play Lesticiles State Univ. Can you imagine the atmosphere in Norman when Les comes into town for a night game. That would be awesome.

Collier11
1/15/2008, 12:03 AM
Bama would be great. I'd also like to play Lesticiles State Univ. Can you imagine the atmosphere in Norman when Les comes into town for a night game. That would be awesome.

well here are the future big-time series that we have agreed to thus far...

@Miami 2009
Florida st 2010
@ Florida st 2011
Notre dame 2012
@Notre Dame 2013
Tennessee 2014
@ Tennessee 2015
Ohio st 2016 and 2017
Lsu 2018 and 2019

CORNholio
1/15/2008, 12:10 AM
well here are the future big-time series that we have agreed to thus far...

@Miami 2009
Florida st 2010
@ Florida st 2011
Notre dame 2012
@Notre Dame 2013
Tennessee 2014
@ Tennessee 2015
Ohio st 2016 and 2017
Lsu 2018 and 2019

Those are going to be great games. I just wish they would schedule a series with some major OOC opponent not just a home and home.

pott_2
1/15/2008, 01:10 AM
I can see it now.. "the I-40 shootout". The game could be played in Henryetta, half way between Norman and Fayetteville. JK

I would like to see the AR OK rivalry in the future. Lots of sour grapes over there.

bri
1/15/2008, 01:14 AM
Those are going to be great games. I just wish they would schedule a series with some major OOC opponent not just a home and home.

Home and home is the only way to go. See, if it works out, then you sign another home and home and you make it a series two years at a time. And if your high-profile opponent takes a nosedive, you're not locked into playing them for X number of years, dragging your SOS down with them. :D

Crucifax Autumn
1/15/2008, 01:51 AM
Doesn't matter to me if we have a yearly game with someone OOC, but can we PLEASE make an effort to have a traditional power each year? Sometimes it would be a bust, but the almost always good teams would gain us respect most years.

The VIIIth
1/15/2008, 03:56 AM
Maybe we can schedule the fatuous self serving SEC representatives who vetoed the Orange Bowl game vs Va Tech.

oudivesherpa
1/15/2008, 08:29 AM
I don't like close games or games we could lose--had enough of that over the New year!

How about William & Mary and hope that just Mary shows up.

MichiganSooner
1/15/2008, 09:08 AM
Michigan.

Or Notre Dame.

sooneron
1/15/2008, 09:44 AM
20-14 and 28-16 on the road against the #2 team both times is being completely outclassed?
I don't remember either of those games being as close as the score. We scored the 14th point in the 88 OB pretty late IIIRC.

I would rather have it the way that we do now. Schedule a home and home with a quality opponent so that we have a "name" on the sched every year.
If I had to choose, I guess I would say arkie or bammer - scUM is too far. It would be cool to play bama somewhere in between - Memphis or N'awlins?

freshchris05
1/15/2008, 09:49 AM
OU/Bama is what i'd vote on... partially cuz bama would probably sign up...

i'd love to get to beat down on the domers every year but they are too chicken sh!t to. Considering the fact all their "rivals" kick their arses consistantly...

Theskipster
1/15/2008, 10:18 AM
Doesn't matter to me if we have a yearly game with someone OOC, but can we PLEASE make an effort to have a traditional power each year? Sometimes it would be a bust, but the almost always good teams would gain us respect most years.

OU does make an effort to have a traditional power each year. There is no need to beg.

SoonerFaninAZ
1/15/2008, 10:18 AM

I don't remember either of those games being as close as the score.

They weren't. The Sooners were never a threat to win either of those games.

Collier11
1/15/2008, 11:59 AM
They weren't. The Sooners were never a threat to win either of those games.

got ya, I really just didnt know

sooner518
1/15/2008, 12:26 PM
LET ERRRRRIPPPPPPPPPP
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/sooner518/farks/leterrip.jpg

NDN_Soonerfan
1/15/2008, 12:41 PM
I would love for either a Georgia or Florida series. Some of my in laws are fans of both schools.

Desert Sapper
1/15/2008, 12:48 PM
CSO. And I don't want to wait til 2018, either.

BIG_IKE
1/15/2008, 01:13 PM
what would be good is a MAJOR SERIES....like say LSU/USC/tOSU or someone late in the year instead of early..

Kinda like Notre Dame and SC do.

Fraggle145
1/15/2008, 01:15 PM
I would love an OU/UGA series.

Desert Sapper
1/15/2008, 01:35 PM
I would love an OU/UGA series.

I concur. Who do we need to contact to make this a reality?

AlabamaSooner
1/15/2008, 02:30 PM
OU/Bama is what i'd vote on... partially cuz bama would probably sign up...

i'd love to get to beat down on the domers every year but they are too chicken sh!t to. Considering the fact all their "rivals" kick their arses consistantly...

All of the Bama fans would love it. I hear it a lot that they would love another series. They loved the trip to Norman.

soonermix
1/15/2008, 05:07 PM
well as far as meeting in the middle could we have a game at arrowhead with notre dame?

other than that i would say home and home with miami

those are the two schools i want to beat every year that we don't get a chance to right now

but if you want a national championship elimination game at the start of the year every year then suc would be the way to go which would be fun also

Tiptonsooner
1/15/2008, 05:25 PM
In 2016, looks like we could start one with Ohio State.