PDA

View Full Version : Beef Ribs

TopDaugIn2000
1/14/2008, 10:49 AM
what to do with them??

my dad gave me 1/4 of a beef for Christmas, I picked it up saturday. Got 3 or 4 packages of beef ribs, but I have no idea what to do with them to make them edible. Any suggestions?

I'll prolly just make some beef stock or something, give the bones to Lucy

also got about 5 packages of beef liver. EWWWWWWWW!!! :texan:

OKLA21FAN
1/14/2008, 10:55 AM
Got 3 or 4 packages of beef ribs, but I have no idea what to do with them to make them edible. Any suggestions?

cook them for starters! :pop:

i smoked some beef ribs last summer, and pretty much did nothing different then i would pork ribs. but going forward, i'll stick with pork ribs.

IB4OU2
1/14/2008, 10:56 AM
You can BBQ beef ribs in the oven that taste pretty good if you have the right recipe and slow cook them.

Also, Liver and Onions are really good if made properly.

TopDaugIn2000
1/14/2008, 11:25 AM
I may try slow cooking one package and see how it turns out.

i'm not touching the liver. that's nasty stuff. Gonna give it to my granny, she likes it.

C&CDean
1/14/2008, 11:40 AM
When we slaughter a calf we always give the liver and tongue away. I like tongue when cooked messican style, but momma ain't messican.

I usually just have them grind the rib meat into more hamburger. We do have some beef ribs from the last calf, and I'm going to try doing the slow smoke thing on them, but only when I'm really bored and have some available room on the smoker between the brisket and pork ribs.

I've never had what I'd call really good beef ribs. Good? Yes. Really good? Nope.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/14/2008, 11:41 AM
Smoker, meet ribs...

TheHumanAlphabet
1/14/2008, 11:42 AM
When we slaughter a calf we always give the liver and tongue away. I like tongue when cooked messican style, but momma ain't messican.

I usually just have them grind the rib meat into more hamburger. We do have some beef ribs from the last calf, and I'm going to try doing the slow smoke thing on them, but only when I'm really bored and have some available room on the smoker between the brisket and pork ribs.

I've never had what I'd call really good beef ribs. Good? Yes. Really good? Nope.

Smoked tongue is some fine stuff. Mom used to buy it at the Krogrer's, but she can't find offal anywhere now-a-days. I really miss nice smoked tongue.

C&CDean
1/14/2008, 11:46 AM
Smoked tongue is some fine stuff. Mom used to buy it at the Krogrer's, but she can't find offal anywhere now-a-days. I really miss nice smoked tongue.

Never had it smoked, but lengua burritos RMFO.

TopDaugIn2000
1/14/2008, 11:53 AM
When my mom and I order meat from the meat market in poteau we have them grind the 'extra' stuff into hamburger as well. but I didn't have a say so this time, Pops just said "come get it".

dolemitesooner
1/14/2008, 12:07 PM
I may try slow cooking one package and see how it turns out.

i'm not touching the liver. that's nasty stuff. Gonna give it to my granny, she likes it.:eek:

Partial Qualifier
1/14/2008, 12:41 PM
thanks to the guys who contributed to this:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71375&page=2

IB4OU2
1/14/2008, 12:44 PM
I'm fond of Liver and Onions when the wife makes it.

nmsoonergirl
1/14/2008, 01:16 PM
To paraphrase Mike Rich, me giving cooking advice is like the tin man giving swimming advice, but I know when we have beef ribs Mr. NMS braises them, them does an asian-y kind of thing, and they are very good.

This is probably similar to what he does
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_30563,00.html

85Sooner
1/14/2008, 01:50 PM
Here ya go

http://www.eggheadforum.com/archives//2005/messages/191204.htm

sooneron
1/14/2008, 02:19 PM
I smoked some beef ribs and they came out pretty good. Not as good as a place where I've eaten them, but good.

I used my variation on Jim Goode's Brisket rub-
* ¼ Cup Salt
* 2 ½ Tbs Dark Brown Sugar
* 2 Tbs Paprika
* 2 tsp Dry Mustard
* 2 tsp Garlic Powder
* 2 tsp Onion Powder
* 1 ½ tsp Dried Basil
* 1 tsp Ground Bay leaves
* ¾ tsp Ground Corriander
* ¾ tsp Ground Savory
* ¾ tsp Dried Thyme
* ¾ tsp Ground black pepper
* ¾ tsp Ground white pepper
* 1/8 tsp Ground Cumin
* 2 tsp Chili Powder
I believe that I cooked them a little longer than regular pork spare ribs. Back to the braising, I think they would be good with a wet mop sauce on top of the rub as you smoke to keep them juicy- but they were pretty juicy. The issue is toughness

Williesan
1/14/2008, 08:38 PM
Only one way to go: Smoke 'em.

You will need to prep them the night before. With the ribs thawed, use a good dry rub all over - apply liberally and work it into the meat. I use a little water to help it "stick" if the meat's dry. Cover and place in the fridge overnight.

I usually smoke pork spareribs at 250-275 for about 3-4 hours depending on the thickness of the meat. Beef ribs are meatier, so you willl need to cook them longer.

They're done when the meat is tender and pulls off the bone with a little help. If the bones come right out as you pull them off the grill, they're well done... probably too well and the meat will be dry.

Hope this helps.

Williesan

SanJoaquinSooner
1/14/2008, 09:57 PM
http://sigsiv.smugmug.com/photos/132877690-L.jpg

with potatoes.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/14/2008, 10:37 PM
I like tongue when cooked messican style, but momma ain't messican.

Truth.

Tulio's, back when it was in South Town (25th and Robinson, I wanna say?), had some tongue that would melt in your mouth. Nine kinds of awesome and I ain't found none like it since.

SOONER STEAKER
1/14/2008, 10:42 PM

Go to the Stock Yards and talk to on of them there slaughterers, I be th can smuggle you some toungue.

SOONER STEAKER
1/14/2008, 10:44 PM
http://sigsiv.smugmug.com/photos/132877690-L.jpg

with potatoes.

I'll take 2 of those please. Delicious. :D