PDA

View Full Version : David Godbold

kc sooner
1/14/2008, 08:57 AM
I'm sorry, but is anyone else counting the days until he is gone? He makes some shots sometimes, but every time he has the ball, he looks scared and he turns it over too many times. To me, he is just so frustrating, because he makes dumb passes and he can't dribble against any pressure at all. I'm just always scared he's going to do something dumb when he has the ball. That being said, he is a Sooner and he tries his hardest, I just get very frustrated with him at times.

OUSKINS
1/14/2008, 09:35 AM
Nah, Godbold doesn't bother me. He plays his role quite well. He is an excellent defender.

He doesn't really have any "creation" skills, meaning he's not going to make anything happen off the dribble, and generally, he doesn't try too. He's turned himself into a solid outside shooter as well.

If you're looking for Godbold to be a consistent "force" on offense, then you will be disappointed, but he does a good job for what the coaches ask him to do.

The only real "problem" with OU at this point is the lack of a guard that can consistently force the issue. Crocker is capable at times, but he certainly isn't a point.

I think you are being too hard on Godbold.

kc sooner
1/14/2008, 09:48 AM
Granted, guard play is a problem, but for a senior, I think he makes too many mental mistakes, like bad passes or bad shots. Every once in a while, he can get hot and make some shots, and I'm always cheering for him to do well, I'm just really scared every time he has the ball and is dribbling around out front.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/14/2008, 09:57 AM
Nah, Godbold doesn't bother me. He plays his role quite well. He is an excellent defender.

He doesn't really have any "creation" skills, meaning he's not going to make anything happen off the dribble, and generally, he doesn't try too. He's turned himself into a solid outside shooter as well.

If you're looking for Godbold to be a consistent "force" on offense, then you will be disappointed, but he does a good job for what the coaches ask him to do.

The only real "problem" with OU at this point is the lack of a guard that can consistently force the issue. Crocker is capable at times, but he certainly isn't a point.

I think you are being too hard on Godbold.

A couple things. Godbold was nearly a walk-on. Only late in the game did Sampson even need to offer him a scholarship. Do I think he is greatly talented, No. It is likely that someone with his skill set would not be recruited now if he were a high school senior.

That said Godbold has hit some big shots and has really been a hard-nosed defender and in my opinion an overachiever. While his game has some limitations he comes to play and plays hard. I generally have to appreciate any 4-year guy that busts his *** and doesn't get in trouble.

So yes I think the chances are good that whatever player Capel signs that replaces Godbold's scholly will probably be more talented but it certainly doesn't mean he will be as productive.

crawfish
1/14/2008, 10:00 AM
Godbold is a decent role player. He has done some good things this season - I've actually been pleased with his play, for the most part.

No question that Willie Warren will be a slight upgrade next year.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/14/2008, 10:06 AM
Godbold is a decent role player. He has done some good things this season - I've actually been pleased with his play, for the most part.

NO question that Willie Warren will be a slight upgrade next year.

Yeah, if you are comparing Godbold to Warren there will be a huge difference in talent. Different postions I know but I was thinking in terms of Warren replacing Longar.

Again it appears that Capel is getting/in on recruits on an overall talent level quite a bit greater than Sampson did. Not to say we wouldn't take a player like Hollis Price in a heartbeat of course.

sanantoniosooner
1/14/2008, 10:09 AM
Every now and then you need someone to stomp the other team in the nads.

Godbold is your man.

stoopified
1/14/2008, 12:43 PM
My only problem with David is he shoots too much.Apparently Capel does not share my opinion however as David has in my memory never been set down after a forced shot.Playing D,passing(he has 44 assists ,only 20 TO's)and taking an occassional shot suits his game.IHe is still sshooting less than 37% for the year,28.8 from three point range.This after one of his best offensive performances this yera(5-11 FGs,2-5 3P).

NormanPride
1/14/2008, 05:02 PM
I can almost guarantee that if I check the stats at halftime and Godbold has 3+ three pointers attempted, that we're going to lose. It's not an indicator of his playing ability, it's an indicator of our offense's success. If he's taking shots like that, then nothing else is working. :O

Remembering Tom Stidham
1/14/2008, 06:26 PM
A long-time friend of mine coached David's father in high school. He says David is far more talented. It is this same coach who raved about Willie Warren.

OUmillenium
1/16/2008, 11:44 AM
Godbold has been very good at times in his career but never was considered a talented offensive player.

Any time he makes a shot that is not a layup/dunk, consider it a blessing...or total accident.

the_ouskull
1/27/2008, 01:01 AM
It was mentioned earlier in this thread, but bears mentioning again. Godbold was darn near a walk-on. He got a scholly at the zero hour. Since then, we've never really even tried to recruit over him, mainly because he played so well as a freshman. He's just one of those players that never really got any better. Kinda like Longar, pre-this year, so far.

the_ouskull

Ash
1/27/2008, 01:32 AM
Godbold isn't a consistent shooter and makes poor choices passing the ball, but this season and last has sucked it up and provided some big shots and big play when this team needed it.

I wish he could consistently bring something to the board. He doesn't, but get rid of him and you lose some of the toughness and clutch play that's been a part of this team since Capel got here. He's a senior leader and trying to do those things that help the team. Props to him.

OUMonster
1/27/2008, 09:56 AM
I thought he played well yesterday.

Big Red Ron
1/27/2008, 11:15 AM

Godbold is your man.bingo

OUmillenium
1/28/2008, 01:13 PM
He definitely hit some nice 3s early to help build a lead.

Newbomb Turk
2/16/2008, 10:39 PM
He makes some shots sometimes

even when you don't think he's gonna make it...

:D

King Crimson
2/17/2008, 01:14 AM
that should be a great memory for David. that's for sure.

OUmillenium
2/18/2008, 12:51 PM
Godbold worship thread bumped!

And I have been very critical of him at times throughout his career.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/18/2008, 01:48 PM

Godbold is your man.

I'd have to say he pretty much just did that.

stoopified
2/18/2008, 05:32 PM
That last shot was an answered prayer,NO DOUBT.