PDA

View Full Version : Jay Norvell

trwxxa
1/13/2008, 06:51 PM
Some aTm folks are saying that Bob has offered Jay Norvell a position on the staff, I'll assume it is to replace Sumlin but do not know the official capacity.

Norvell was OC at UCLA last year and spent the previous three seasons as OC at Nebbish. I've read that even though he was OC at Nebbish, callenberger called all of the plays.

aTm has offered him the QB coach position.

Don't know much else about him but maybe someone else can chime in.

85sooners
1/13/2008, 08:11 PM
:confused:

royalfan5
1/13/2008, 08:24 PM
Callahan did call the plays. Wasn't Norvell on Stoops staff for a day before taking off for the NFL?

King Crimson
1/13/2008, 08:33 PM
Callahan did call the plays. Wasn't Norvell on Stoops staff for a day before taking off for the NFL?

something like that; briefly the WR coach. 49'ers i think.

Desert Sapper
1/13/2008, 08:48 PM
We need a WR coach that can play ego control. Especially with some of the guys we might see coming in with this new class. Not that it's a bad thing. WRs need to be cocky and back it up. I just saw the egos getting the better of Sumlin a couple of times. Whoever is next as the WR coach needs to reign it in.

MiccoMacey
1/13/2008, 09:26 PM
I think Stoops has also visited a coach from UKentucky, but can't remember his name. Someone can confirm or deny this for me, if they so choose.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/14/2008, 09:49 AM
The Oklahoman is reporting it as well. What is his offensive philosophy? What will we likely to see? The Joklahoman says he wants to be the sole play caller, he may bolt again...

MiccoMacey
1/14/2008, 10:00 AM
I don't think he's going to get the nod over Kevin Wilson for OC or for play-calling.

bred24
1/14/2008, 10:25 AM
I don't think he's going to get the nod over Kevin Wilson for OC or for play-calling.

Why not?? And I guess OU is too good to offer Malzoun (spelling?)

MiccoMacey
1/14/2008, 10:29 AM
Why would he?

Wilson's done a good job. I haven't heard anything that says Stoops is shopping around for a new OC.

If anyone knows whether Stoops wants to bench Wilson, I'd love to hear about it. But that'd be silly coming on the heels of this past year.

And as much as I love Gus Mahlzan (living in Tulsa will do that to you), how is he any better than Kevin Wilson? He had a senior as a QB...we had a redshirt freshman. Not an overly fair comparison.

bred24
1/14/2008, 10:30 AM
We're quickly turning into the Kansas City Chiefs! When your HC coach hires all of his buddies we're in trouble.

MiccoMacey
1/14/2008, 10:37 AM
When your buddies are doing a good job, I have no problem. Why would you want Wislon replaced?

bred24
1/14/2008, 10:48 AM
Because the last two bowl games both Wilson and Venables had a month to prepare. And both looked like they didn't even watch film.

MiccoMacey
1/14/2008, 10:53 AM
We scored 42 and 28 points. That should have been enough to win those game.

I could almost agree with Venables if I only looked at two games, but I'd rather look at the whole season. And if you do that, rather than one or two specific games, I say keep them both.

Also, I'd be interested in hearing whom you'd have replace Wilson and Venables. I assume since you mentioned Gus that you like him. Any others?

TheHumanAlphabet
1/14/2008, 11:40 AM
We're quickly turning into the Kansas City Chiefs! When your HC coach hires all of his buddies we're in trouble.

I tend to agree with that. Hard to be objective when everyone under you is a buddy.

snp
1/14/2008, 12:02 PM
Why not?? And I guess OU is too good to offer Malzoun (spelling?)

Because ou averaged 42 points per game this past year?

What is wrong with some of you people.

stoopified
1/14/2008, 12:14 PM
Where does this Bob hires all his buddies BS come from?Shipp,Gundy,Leach,Sumlin,Wright,Wilson,Patton ;none of these coaches had a connection to Bob prior to joining the staff.On the other hand Mangino,Venables,Mike Stoops,Hayes,Pellini,Spurrier jr.,all had aFRIENDSHIP with Bob before joining the staff.Either way name one bad hire Bob has made.The closest I can come is Pellini and I think that was due to philosphy and posible personal differences between Pellini and the rest of the D staff.I don't know that but from observation that was my conclusion.

In any case whatever criteria Bob uses to hire his staff works as an 81% + winning record and the NC and 5 conference titles reflect.It is a certainty that no one in the Big 12 has done better.On a National level Pete Carroll MIGHT be better but when you can pay your players $300,000 without fear of the NCAA you should win.