PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to the hollywood writers

tulsaoilerfan
1/13/2008, 06:24 PM
I believe tonight would have been the season premier of 24 if not for the writers strike

1stTimeCaller
1/13/2008, 06:57 PM
at least we don't have to put up with the Golden Globes and Oscars

royalfan5
1/13/2008, 07:06 PM
At least Kiefer got to do his stretch in county all in one shot this way.

tulsaoilerfan
1/13/2008, 07:55 PM
At least Kiefer got to do his stretch in county all in one shot this way.
LOL, is he out yet? Haven't heard

proud gonzo
1/13/2008, 08:17 PM
don't blame the writers, blame the studios

royalfan5
1/13/2008, 08:20 PM
I think he gets out end of the month.

1stTimeCaller
1/13/2008, 08:25 PM
don't blame the writers, blame the studios

I was under the impression this was a strike and not a lockout.:confused:

;)

KABOOKIE
1/13/2008, 08:30 PM
Again. How much bank do you have to have to be walking around on a multi-month strike?

StoopTroup
1/14/2008, 02:21 AM
Especially if you live in California or NY.

Sooner_Bob
1/14/2008, 09:52 AM
Ultimately what is this strike even about?

Do the writers want more of a cut of DVD sales or something?

TheHumanAlphabet
1/14/2008, 09:59 AM
Well, the upside is that with myself and Mrs. THA being gone for so long and finally together for the last week plus, we have been able to go through the DVD and TIVO backlog of all the shows from the Fall.

crawfish
1/14/2008, 10:02 AM
I'm not officially ****ed until Lost ends after the 8th episode. :mad:

Mongo
1/14/2008, 10:05 AM
damn AI is back on tonight:mad:

StoopTroup
1/14/2008, 12:28 PM
Gene Simmons appearance on The Apprentice entertained me more than anything the writers have written...maybe ever.

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photo_StoryLevel/080104/080104-simmons1-vlrg-7a.widec.jpg

His comments about Omarosa were priceless.

His attempt to deal with Trumps daughter were the best thing I've witnessed on a major network. :D

SoonerTerry
1/14/2008, 12:31 PM
orangutan island baby

OKLA21FAN
1/14/2008, 12:31 PM
I'm not officially ****ed until Lost ends after the 8th episode. :mad:

in!

Sooner_Bob
1/14/2008, 01:33 PM
Gene Simmons appearance on The Apprentice entertained me more than anything the writers have written...maybe ever.

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photo_StoryLevel/080104/080104-simmons1-vlrg-7a.widec.jpg

His comments about Omarosa were priceless.

His attempt to deal with Trumps daughter were the best thing I've witnessed on a major network. :D

His show on A&E is hilarious.

He is the only reason I plan to watch any of Celebrity Apprentice. Well that and the fact that I think Carol Alt and Jenny Finch are easy on the eyes.

bri
1/14/2008, 03:27 PM
Ultimately what is this strike even about?

Do the writers want more of a cut of DVD sales or something?

No, it's over the studios' use of "new media" to broadcast shows. They air full episodes of their shows online and sell ad space on them without having to pay royalties to the writers, producers, directors, actors, etc. The WGA deal is the first of the showbiz unions' to come up for renewal, that's why it's a "writers' strike" instead of an "actors' strike".

JohnnyMack
1/14/2008, 03:29 PM
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

You'll wake LAS from his slumber if you people don't quit posting in this thread!

Czar Soonerov
1/14/2008, 04:10 PM

They haven't uploaded the jail's schematics to his PDA yet.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/14/2008, 04:50 PM
Again. How much bank do you have to have to be walking around on a multi-month strike?

And for what? Supposedly the amount in question on these Internet downloads is on the order of cents. But of this I am not certain.

NYC Poke
1/14/2008, 05:14 PM
My favorite chant from the writers strike"

"What do we want"

"Residuals!"

"When do we want 'em?"

"Later!"

stoops the eternal pimp
1/14/2008, 05:17 PM
You should be thanking them for striking and therefore bringing into existance "Dance Wars: Bruno vs. Carrie Ann"

LosAngelesSooner
1/14/2008, 05:25 PM
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

You'll wake LAS from his slumber if you people don't quit posting in this thread!
Yeah! (ye noisy beeetches!)

;)

Harry Beanbag
1/14/2008, 06:09 PM
After months (years?) of not giving a ****, I'm now ready for this thing to be over. The writing on American Gladiators is killing me.

usmc-sooner
1/14/2008, 06:18 PM
I'm fine with watching re-runs of Seinfeld and King of Queens

tulsaoilerfan
1/14/2008, 06:21 PM
The other downside is all the stinkin' reality shows that are cluttering the airwaves; look for this trend to continue if the strike goes on for a long time

Sooner_Bob
1/15/2008, 08:54 AM
No, it's over the studios' use of "new media" to broadcast shows. They air full episodes of their shows online and sell ad space on them without having to pay royalties to the writers, producers, directors, actors, etc. The WGA deal is the first of the showbiz unions' to come up for renewal, that's why it's a "writers' strike" instead of an "actors' strike".

Gotcha . . . I may have heard that somewhere before, but really hadn't paid much attention to it.

Thanks.

jkjsooner
1/15/2008, 02:55 PM
I'm kind of torn on this one. The studios definitely did not meet the spirit of the last bargaining agreement. The writers were supposed to get royalties but made the mistake of specifying too much about the medium. In that way the studios, while legally sound, are wrong, IMO.

However, that being said, I don't see why a really good writer can't negotiate his/her own contract. If they're that good and bring in that much money, then they certainly would have some bargaining power.

For the others, they should be lucky to get any royalties. I don't get royalties on the software I write. If you're getting a check to produce something, what you produce is generally owned by the person writing you the check. If you produce something on your own and pitch it to the studios, well, if it's good that bargain what you want for it right then and there.

I recognize the world of Hollywood is fairly small and the studios do have something resembling a monopoly (if not strictly one) so I do have some compassion for the writers.

Scott D
1/15/2008, 04:13 PM
The other downside is all the stinkin' reality shows that are cluttering the airwaves; look for this trend to continue if the strike goes on for a long time

That's probably a good thing right now. The more you feast the gluttony of the American Public on that tripe, the stronger the backlash will be when they decide they are fed up being force fed that ****e.