PLaw
1/13/2008, 05:58 PM
Good read on finding gems that get overlooked

http://oklahoma.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=2&c=719435

My 3-Star All-Americans

By Scott Kennedy
Director of Scouting
Posted Jan 13, 2008

Almost 90% of Division 1 Signees this year will be rated three stars or less by Scout.com. Of the players I saw personally this year, this is how I'd build a national championship team out of three stars.

One of the phrases uttered by fans that always makes me shake my head is "only a three star". As in, "how can this guy only be a three star?"

I had a radio show host ask me on Friday what separated the guys that are three and four star prospects. I stopped and had to think about it for a second, because my initial reaction was "not much".

In actuality, that is the correct answer. What's the difference between Harrison Jeffers, the #41 ranked running back in the country, and Tauren Poole, the #42 ranked running back? The former a four star rated prospect, while the latter is a four star?

Anyone looking at the positional rankings can see that there is only one spot that separates them, so the answer is "not much". Fans can be a bit star crazy and not realize that the difference between the two really is as little as one position.

It's one reason why Scout has a hard definition of four and five star rated prospects. The Top 300 prospects are four star, the Top 50 of those getting five stars. Why? Because it's easy to go down a list of players and justify why each one is just as good as the next, and before you know it, you have 1000 four star players.

So rather than having an arbitrary definition like "immediate impact", Scout lets you know exactly what it means to be a four and five star prospect.

When I'm watching players, I have a mental definition of how I start slotting the players in order, indirectly assigning a player where he'll be rated by stars. Typically, there are three types of players.

*Players that are lights out on the field, but don't have a exceptional size/speed ratio.

*Players that aren't great football players, but have exceptional size/speed ratio.

*Players that combine both

Obviously the more of the combination, the higher the rating.

With roughly 2500 Division 1 signees (sorry I can't keep track of which bowl subdivision is what these days), only about 12% of all D1 signees in the country get rated four stars or better by Scout.

That leaves 88% of all D1 signees left to choose from that are rated three stars or lower. Do you think there are some future stars in this group of over 2000?

I'd bet your team's success on it.

Who are they going to be? Well, that's the fun part of Scouting, and I thought this year, I'd give you a list of my three star all-americans. These are based on players I've either seen live or play a full game, meaning there are hundreds of others out there that I didn't get to see personally.

So, the next time you think, how is this guy "only a three star", remember, roughly 90% of the players that get signed to scholarships are threes and below. Hundreds of them will be big time contributors on the college level, and if I can pick them out, no doubt your coach can.

Watch Video
QB - Deron Furr 6-3.5/220, Columbus, Ga

Furr led his team to its first ever state championship this year. He is a mobile quarterback with a strong arm that can really hurt a team with his legs as well.

Commitment - Auburn
Honorable Mention: Ryan Katz

Watch Video
RB - Tauren Poole 5-10/200, Toccoa, Ga

Poole plays in relative anonymity in North Georgia, but displays terrific vision and balance. A good receiver out of the backfield, Poole is a work horse that avoided the recruiting hoopla by committing as a junior.

Commitment - Tennessee
Honorable Mention: Demetrius Murray

Watch Video
FB - Jeremiah Schwartz 5-11/240, Orlando, Fla

A bruising running back and blocker, Schwartz is a throwback style of fullback that blasts open holes and bulls over defenders in the defensive backfield.

Commitment - Iowa State
Honorable Mention: Thomas Shuler

Watch Video
WR - Josh Jarboe 6-3/195 Atlanta, Ga.

This is a sandbagging pick. Jarboe was ranked the #1 WR in Georgia before a senior season in which he rarely saw the ball in his offense. After a strong showing in the UnderArmour All-America Game, he'll be 4 Stars again soon.

Commitment - Oklahoma
Honorable Mention: Rodriguez Wilks

Watch Video
WR - D.J. Woods 6-0/170 Strongville, Ohio

Sticky fingered and explosive with the ball after the catch, Woods elevates well in traffic and breaks ankles in the open field.

Commitment - West Virginia
Honorable Mention: LaRon Byrd

Watch Video
TE - Nathan Nord 6-6/235 Boca Raton, Fla.

Everything you could possibly look for in a tight end prospect, big, fast (4.69), and smart (son of a college coach). Nord has "star" written all over him.

Commitment - Louisville
Honorable Mention: Bryce Ros

Watch Video
OL - Andrew Datko 6-6/280 Fort Lauderdale, Fla

Big, agile, and aggressive, Datko is relatively new to the game of football, and the progress he made even through his senior season from the first game to his last was impressive.

Commitment - Florida State
Honorable Mention: Dallas Thomas

Watch Video
OL - Elliot Williams 6-6/275 Woodstock, Ga.

A defensive tackle as a junior, Williams has the ideal makeup to be an offensive tackle on the college level, size, quickness, athleticism.

Commitment - South Carolina
Honorable Mention: Thomas Parsons

Watch Video
OL - Khaled Holmes 6-3/290 Santa Ana, Ca.

Holmes plays left tackle for one of the most potent offenses in the country at Mater Dei. He'll move inside and play guard in college. He is adept at pass blocking at left tackle, but he also can maul the defender in front of him in run blocking.

Commitment - USC
Honorable Mention: Steven Robinson

Watch Video
OL - Brandon Washington 6-4/320 Miami, Fla

Like Holmes and most of the top offensive linemen in high school, Washington also plays tackle, and he also plays on one of the top teams in the country at Northwestern. Washington projects as a guard in college.

Commitment - Miami
Honorable Mention: Max Tuioti-Mariner

Watch Video
OL - Ben Jones 6-3/310 Centreville, Ala

A tribute to hitting the camp circuit, Jones was a relative unknown heading into the spring until he started dominating every lineman put in front of him at various camps. He's more than a combine warrior though, he dominates in pads as well.

Commitment - Georgia
Honorable Mention: Nick McRae

Watch Video
DT - Jomarcus Savage 6-3/270 Huntsville, Ala

Savage plays defensive end for his team, but with his size, he'll be a defensive tackle in college. The speed that he shows off the edge at end is impressive, and will scary at tackle.

Commitment - None
Honorable Mention: Reggie Ellis

Watch Video
DT - Quintin Toailoa 6-5/280 Redlands, Ca

A huge man in the middle of REV's defense, Toailoa occupies blockers, but also shows enough quickness to get into the offensive backfield. Could play offense if needed, but on my team, he's my big DT.

Commitment - Nebraska
Honorable Mention: Anthony Hill

Watch Video
DE - Earl Okine 6-7/240 Gainesville, Fla

Can a man that size really move like that? Ask the offensive linemen at the O/D all-american game. Okine dominated in Miami. Plays with quickness and better leverage than one might expect with that height.

Commitment - Florida
Honorable Mention: Willie Bohannon

Watch Video
DE - Steven Fowlkes 6-5/210 College Park, Ga

Fowlkes is such a good athlete, that he actually had visions of being a wide receiver at one point. He might get that chance in college, but on my team, he's coming off the edge with that quickness as a speed rusher.

Commitment - Tennessee
Honorable Mention: Chaz Sutton

Watch Video
LB - T.J. Pridemore 6-2/235 Buford, Ga

Omar Hunter got the bulk of the press on Buford's defense, but Pridemore was every bit as dominant from his linebacker position. Smart, instinctive, and big, Pridemore relishes contact.

Commitment - None
Honorable Mention: Bo Walters

Watch Video
LB - Jordan Futch 6-3/225 Hollywood, Fla

Great range from his linebacker position, Futch is confident attacking the backfield or dropping back in coverage. His size and speed make him a coveted recruit.

Commitment - Miami
Honorable Mention: Donovan Carter

Watch Video
LB - Daniel Franklin 6-3/225 Mount Airy, Ga

Lots of similarities for all three of my linebackers, Franklin is a monster in run support and sideline to sideline pursuit, but he can also drop back in coverage on a tight end or a back.

Commitment - Oklahoma
Honorable Mention: Malcolm Munroe

Watch Video
S - Bacarri Rambo 6-1/195 Donalsonville, Ga

It seems that very few of the top college safeties star at safety in high school. They play a little closer to the ball in high school, and Rambo is an example. He leads his team as a quarterback and shows off his athleticism and potential nearly every play.

Commitment - Georgia
Honorable Mention: David Blackwell

Watch Video
S - Travis Arnold 5-11/190 Madison, Fla

Physical? He plays linebacker for Madison County. Fast? He ran a 4.31 at the Scout Combine in Jacksonville last year. He's never played safety, but I'll take my chances.

Commitment - Florida State
Honorable Mention: Matt Daniels

CB - Destin Hood 6-0/185 Mobile, Ala

Hood plays both sides of the ball for his state champion St. Paul's team. I like him better as a defensive back. He's extremely fluid on the field, but I might lose him to the Major Leage Baseball Draft.

Commitment - Alabama
Honorable Mention: Terrance Parks

CB - Jeremy Brown 5-10/180 Orlando, Fla

Another two way player for state finalist Boone, Brown shows great flexibility and closing speed. He needs to get stronger, but he's got a spot on my defense.

Commitment - Florida
Honorable Mention: Terrance Parks

So, of the players I've seen, those are my three star All-Americans. Want to share yours, give feedback, or ask a question, join us on the message board:

Speaks well for OUr coaches finding great players

BOOMER

Desert Sapper
1/13/2008, 09:18 PM
He's being a little silly keeping Jarboe at three stars after the UA game. Have to agree with Dan Franklin. That dude looks like an animal on film.

Spray
1/14/2008, 10:09 AM
I take it Scott Kennedy mainly covers FL, Ala, and Ga in his scouting? I'd be interested to see this same analysis as a group effort at Scout.com- it looks like Scott really relied on those three states to fill out his 3 star AAs.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/14/2008, 06:30 PM
may get to see what Franklin can do next season