PDA

View Full Version : Not a sad thread

NormanPride
1/13/2008, 05:55 PM
Today I celebrate the life of the only grandfather I ever knew. James L was a great man, from his humble beginnings in small-town Oklahoma to his curtain-call in the great state's capitol. In between he was a rascal, a soldier, a father, a grandfather, a salesman, a ruf/nek, a prankster, and a grouch (though only when the Sooners lost). ;) He was a great fan of our team and a season ticket holder for many years, like his father before him. He finally stopped renewing his tickets when his knees couldn't take him to the upper deck anymore (I think him tripping over the same woman three weeks in a row had something to do with it!)

His service in Northern Africa and Italy during World War II is, to this day, one of the things I am most proud of about my family. The strength he showed there and the sacrifices he made during his time overseas helped make this country what it is today. I have his key from the hotel he stayed in in Rome and it is, without question, my most treasured possession. I also have his ruf/nek paddle from his days at OU. I bet he was in one of the first few classes of that unique group. He never would tell me all the stuff they did... I wonder why? :D

My grandmother, who cared for him every step of the way, only went on one date with my grandfather. Then, he was sent off to war. Through written communication they strengthened their bonds and, upon his return, they wed. 63 years later, she is still by his side, though he has gone to meet the Lord. We should all be so lucky! My mother is great because of them, and I strive to be great because of her and my father.

So raise a glass, fire off a few rounds, or just press play on that cheesy Boomer Sooner ringtone on your phone. Whatever you do, just remember James L, a great man.

Thanks.

sanantoniosooner
1/13/2008, 05:59 PM
That's awesome NP. I'm envious of such a great grandfather.

85Sooner
1/13/2008, 06:12 PM
THREE CHEERS FOR JAMES L.

Damn ............now he has the best seats for games:)

NormanPride
1/13/2008, 06:15 PM
THREE CHEERS FOR JAMES L.

Damn ............now he has the best seats for games:)

No kidding! And he can fire off his shotgun whenever he wants, without Joe C giving him the "look". :D

Newbomb Turk
1/13/2008, 06:21 PM
here's to you grandfather.

OKC-SLC
1/13/2008, 06:48 PM
to your grandfather.

olevetonahill
1/13/2008, 06:51 PM
Granpas are Great
I know cause I are one :)
Sounds like a great Man
May he RIP

OCUDad
1/13/2008, 06:55 PM
Here's to you, Grampa James.

sooner n houston
1/13/2008, 08:14 PM
RIP James L. and of course, Boomer Sooner!!!

FirstandGoal
1/13/2008, 08:51 PM
Thank you for your service and sacrifice for our country James L

Its nice to know there will be another Sooner up there cheering us on.

badger
1/13/2008, 09:07 PM
I was fortunate enough to have met him. He always had a smile on his face. I heard that after the first time he met me, when NP and I were still dating, that when I left the room, he said "Wow, that girl sure has blond hair!"

He also prematurely said "Welcome to the family!" when he heard that NP bought an engagement ring. I figured that he was just being polite and was just welcoming me to a family dinner. NP later confessed that he had told his entire family about the ring and that his grandpa thought that meant that he proposed to me.

Even when his health deteriorated, he was always a very nice person to be around - always smiling, like I said. He even made an effort to attend NP and my pre-wedding dinner the night before. Unfortunately, perhaps there was too much excitement around with both of our families (and not to mention so many exploding eggshells from San Antonio), he didn't attend the actual wedding itself the next day.

So yeah, great guy and thanks for all the kind words.

nmsoonergirl
1/13/2008, 09:23 PM
Sounds like a great guy.

Enjoy the new knees, James L!

Tailwind
1/13/2008, 09:33 PM
Beautifully spoken, NP! Here's to you, granpa James!

TUSooner
1/13/2008, 10:38 PM
Nicely said. Sounds like a great man and a great life. Cheers to your Grandpa

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/14/2008, 12:01 AM
Godspeed, Grandpa James!

SOONER STEAKER
1/14/2008, 12:01 AM
Here Here. Cheers and more Cheers!!

StoopTroup
1/14/2008, 02:01 AM
Salute to your Grandfather NP!

It's the good memories like those that enrich our lives.

Collier11
1/14/2008, 02:03 AM
I lost my Grandfather during my junior year of HS, probably the single toughest thing I have ever had to deal with. Not only his death, but seeing my Grandmother lose her best friend and the only man she ever Loved, she was still in Love with him the day he died as he was her! RIP to your Grandfather!!!