PDA

View Full Version : MSN OU number 1..??

Blues1
1/13/2008, 11:47 AM
MSN - Sooners Number 1 ...??

Link
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22618207/#storyContinued

Todays QUESTION...at the end of the season -

What would you rather have (Pick only one)

A Major Bowl Victory (like Kansas)
or a
Big 12 Championship . (with No Bowl Victory)

Orange Bowl Trophy is my pick....JMHO...!

85sooners
1/13/2008, 11:51 AM
:confused:

Flagstaffsooner
1/13/2008, 12:05 PM
I'm not sure what your question is. But I sure hate that ranking. Let us rise from the ashes of Phoenix.

St. Louis Sooner
1/13/2008, 12:10 PM
Major Bowl Victory ... fer sure. Major Bowl = BCS bowl. More folks remember the major bowl victory than they do the conference championship.

kevpks
1/13/2008, 12:13 PM
I remember when we used to win both. That was fun. Let's do that next year.

devOUt
1/13/2008, 12:15 PM
If you don't win the conference, an invitation to a major bowl can be a long shot. This year being the exception (ie Kansas).

Big Red Ron
1/13/2008, 12:16 PM
Bowls are WAY LESS meaningful than the Big XII CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.

Maybe before we had a CHAMPIONSHIP game, bowls meant something but now, if I'm a player I get gear up for a CHAMPIONSHIP game much more than some meaningless bowl. Unless of course, if it is for a National CHAMPIONSHIP or a part of a PLAYOFF to make it the national CHAMPIONSHIP game!

St. Louis Sooner
1/13/2008, 12:31 PM
Winning a major bowl, ends the season on a positive note ... it gives the team / coaches / supporters a little momentum going into the following season ... maybe even leaves potential recruits with positive impressions of the team recruiting them.

Losing a major bowl ... well, I can't see anything good coming out of that scenario since it's so high profile and signing day is so close at hand.

AZSOONER
1/13/2008, 12:40 PM
When accomplishments start getting tossed around I know I hear national titles, conference titles, all americans, but I never hear "major bowl victories". I'll take the CHAMPIONSHIP everyday.

cheezyq
1/13/2008, 12:45 PM
Impossible. 3 Big XII teams to only 1 SEC team in the top 5? That's blasphemy.

reevie
1/13/2008, 12:54 PM
I'll take the championship

St. Louis Sooner
1/13/2008, 01:36 PM
This thread is not about 'accomplishments' nor is it about how we get to a major bowl game or a conference championship (somebody correct me here if I'm wrong). Rather, it's about which you would rather win given the other being a loss.

It's a very tough question since it carries with it implications of winning amongst your own vs implications of winning on the national stage. I'll take the national stage since you can't win a NC without it.

Look at what we could have done against LSU one year we got embarrassed by KSU in our championship game. Yeessshhhh ... I still have Sproles nightmares.

Blues1
1/13/2008, 01:46 PM
[QUOTE=St. Louis Sooner]This thread is not about 'accomplishments' nor is it about how we get to a major bowl game or a conference championship (somebody correct me here if I'm wrong). Rather, it's about which you would rather win given the other being a loss.

It's a very tough question since it carries with it implications of winning amongst your own vs implications of winning on the national stage. I'll take the national stage since you can't win a NC without it.

Look at what we could have done against LSU one year we got embarrassed by KSU in our championship game. Yeessshhhh ... I still have Sproles nightmares.[/QUOT

Yep - You got the meaning of my Question...Seems to me over the Long Run Fans and college football pundents remember "Big Bowl Victories" MORE over a conference championship - but it's probably a toss up...??

StoopTroup
1/13/2008, 02:52 PM
The only time you deserve to be ranked Number one is when you finished number one IMO.

Until you win the BCS Trophy...there is no number one.

I think this year was a good example for everyone to see.

OUinFLA
1/13/2008, 04:50 PM
apparently LosuR doesn't plan on having TWGO next season.

101sooner
1/13/2008, 04:53 PM
Big XII Championship.

PLaw
1/13/2008, 04:58 PM
Bowls are WAY LESS meaningful than the Big XII CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.

Maybe before we had a CHAMPIONSHIP game, bowls meant something but now, if I'm a player I get gear up for a CHAMPIONSHIP game much more than some meaningless bowl. Unless of course, if it is for a National CHAMPIONSHIP or a part of a PLAYOFF to make it the national CHAMPIONSHIP game!

Ditto. They don't go and buy new paint to change the scoreboard for a bowl win. 7 / 41 and counting . . . and repainting the scoreboard.

BOOMER

Desert Sapper
1/13/2008, 05:26 PM
Big XII Championship. No Question. But this coming year, I am really wanting to see both, with the BCS Bowl win coming in the Orange Bowl National Championship Game.

If we lose the bowl, I just want to see the best effort from our guys. I didn't see that at the end of this Fiesta Bowl. This felt more like the GOWWDNS, in that it seemed like we gave up after the big WV 'stretch'.

We compete for recruits more amongst the teams in the Big XII, so winning a Big XII championship, no matter how meaningful anybody thinks it is, is huge. Especially becoming the first team to win back-to-back, and the only to win with 5 different QBs.

We win the Big XII, we have our best shot at the National Championship. 2003 will never happen again, and it shouldn't.

AlabamaSooner
1/13/2008, 05:37 PM
Ummm, we're Oklahoma...we play for championships. Simple as that. Doesn't even seem like a hard decision.

St. Louis Sooner
1/13/2008, 07:28 PM
I agree that 'bowls' in general are less meaningful than the Big12 Championship, but BCS bowls seem to be on a par ... at least ... to the Big12 Championship.

I've noticed that the stadium in the Big12 Championship games doesn't fill up ... even this last one had empty seats around the top. I'd like to know why it doesn't get filled up. It does give the Championship a slight air of unimportance.

Also, if KU's and OU's positions were reversed this last year, we'd have been playing tOSU instead of LSU ... going for the NC.

Did anyone see the ratings for each of the BCS games as well as the Conference Championship?

Desert Sapper
1/13/2008, 08:43 PM
Also, if KU's and OU's positions were reversed this last year, we'd have been playing tOSU instead of LSU ... going for the NC.

Do you mean if our only loss was to a Texas team that lost twice to Mizzou (once in the Big XII CCG)?

I doubt we would have been in the MNC. At least maybe we would have played Va Tech in the Orange Bowl. I could have gotten a little more excited about that game.

sooneron
1/13/2008, 09:23 PM
I'd like to see a well played road game first.

goingoneight
1/13/2008, 10:11 PM
The championship anyday over a meaningless bowl game. Everyone gets a meaningless bowl nowadays. Unless OUr bow game is in Miami next year, I couldn't really give a rat's arse if we lost it. Like stated above, it's nice to win them both, but a "bowl game" that's not for anythign more than an oppurtunity to get starters injured and an ugly trophy is worth nothing more than a preseason NFL game or picking which team you want to win the Red-White scrimmage.

goingoneight
1/13/2008, 10:13 PM
I agree that 'bowls' in general are less meaningful than the Big12 Championship, but BCS bowls seem to be on a par ... at least ... to the Big12 Championship.

I've noticed that the stadium in the Big12 Championship games doesn't fill up ... even this last one had empty seats around the top. I'd like to know why it doesn't get filled up. It does give the Championship a slight air of unimportance.

Did anyone see the ratings for each of the BCS games as well as the Conference Championship?

No, because KU didn't win their division, therefore, were held out of the big game. You can say 11-1 all you want, but they would have had to beat Mizzou, go through us, and then get lucky enough to bypass the SEC love affair with the pollsters on top of that. KU was a glorified Hawaii in the pollsters eyes after they surrendered their division.

St. Louis Sooner
1/14/2008, 12:56 AM
I ain't sayin' that. I'm in no way making a statement for KU ... not even close. I've been a diehard OU fan since 1972, and my parents were even moreso ... being in the stands the day ND came to town to break our win streak ... and being in the stands since 1945.

I'm saying if OU's and KU's positions were reversed: If OU lost only 1 game and not played the Big12 Championship, we would have been in the NC game with the 11-1 record. In this scenario, the B12 champ game would have been meaningless as we went to play tOSU for all the marbles.

Winning on the national stage is the best way to say: "We'll take all comers and beat all comers." It's the ultimate affirmation of bragging rights. Beating your conference foes has a certain inbred quality to it IF you can't take it to the national stage and prove it there too.

The ultimate proof of concept is OSU. Their season is a success if they beat us ... regardless of their record. That way of thinking is totally inbred, and they'll never attain goals at the next level ... so long as their sights are set on beating OU or Texas that is. Their focus is misplaced and while a loss to them will sting us ... we'll get over it and go on to bigger and better things while they're still drinking pappy's shine, slapping each other on the back, and rememberin' five years back when they once beat us.

Another example of why I believe 'big bowl' wins are more important than the conference championship is the MU/KU comparison. I think all will agree here, that Mizzou may have won the battle against KU, but KU won the war since KU's season ended on a higher note. I see KU's season being WAY more successful than Mizzou's since they beat a higher ranked team in their final game and gained more exposure with a solo, prime-time, 'big bowl' game win in the heart of recruiting mecca ... Florida. On the other hand, Mizzou won in our back yard, in a state they already recruit in, and to me, it seemed that the tiggers were even more in OU's shadow than ever before ... Geez, not only did we beat them twice, but they had to go play in a place we visit every year!!! There's just no mizzOU without OU.

Anyway, I can't keep defending myself ... I gotta go to sleep, work my arse off all week, and I'll try to get back to this board next weekend.

Keep the faith and have fun!

St. Louis Sooner
1/14/2008, 01:02 AM
Oh ... I almost forgot. I graduated with a BA in PR/Journalism from OU in 1986. I hope I can get one (or both) of my sons to go too ... making for three straight generations.

NYC Poke
1/14/2008, 01:58 AM
Um ......... did I log into the wrong site? I thought this was an OU board.

This year, if you don't win the Big XII, you go to the Cotton. Only way you get to the Orange is by losing to UT and them talking the the conference title.

Is that what you'd prefer? Is that what I'm reading here? Help a sheephumper out.

devOUt
1/14/2008, 07:27 AM
I guess some people would rather be Texas' and Missouri's bitch than lose in a BCS bowl game.

MiccoMacey
1/14/2008, 10:13 AM
St Louis Sooner,

I understand what you're saying, but I think it's a false dichotomy.

It's not one or the other. We could have won the Big Twelve AND won our bowl game. I think that would have to rank first in everyone's eyes.

And a bowl game is great. Especially a BCS bowl against a team that a game prior was playing for a shot at the National Title game. We can't make too much fun of West Virginia because we were in the same position against TTech and blew it as well. And they smoked our asses.

But to me it is one game in the journey. It doesn't define the season the way a Big Twelve Conference Championship does.

Would you rather have lost to Missouri and still beaten West Virginia? To me...no. Missouri is in our conference. Losing to them brings too many negative consequences. They go head up for some of the same recruits we go after. Losing to them gives them more ammo, so to speak. And a win gives them the psychological edge they would need for next year (assuming both teams make it back to the CCG).

Neither opinion is way off base. It's just a matter of what some believe is better for the program. Neither has that much more of a negative over the other one, IMHO.

The Maestro
1/14/2008, 10:25 AM
The Big 12 title means you break out some paint for the numbers on the stadium. That's what we are all about.

Having said that, I sure hate a bad taste in my mouth for 9 months. I'd also like to end the season with a win.

MiccoMacey
1/14/2008, 10:35 AM
2003 - LSU - #2 (eventual NC)
2004 - USC - #1 (eventual NC)
2005 - Oregon - #5 (ended in top 10-15)
2006 - Boise State - #8 (ended in top five)
2007 - West Virginia - #8 (ended in top five)

Name another team that has played that type of bowl teams in that same period. Losing aso depends on the competition. I'd have much rather played and lost in a BCS bowl (although not by the ***-kicking we received) than win a Humanitarian bowl game against an unranked Eastern Popcorn State.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/14/2008, 10:37 AM
Major Bowl Victory ... fer sure. Major Bowl = BCS bowl. More folks remember the major bowl victory than they do the conference championship.

Off the top of my head the Big 12 Champs..

07 OU
06 OU
05 Tex
04 OU
03 KSU
02 OU
01 Colo
00 OU

Off the of my head the Fiesta Bowl Champs

07 WV
06 Boise St
05 ?
04 Utah?
03?

Unless you win the NC, it is about winning the conference championship. That's not to excuse our poor showing in the Fiesta Bowl.

MiccoMacey
1/14/2008, 10:42 AM

Off the top of my head the Big 12 Champs..

07 OU
06 OU
05 Tex
04 OU
03 KSU
02 OU
01 Colo
00 OU

Off the of my head the Fiesta Bowl Champs

07 WV
06 Boise St
05 ?
04 Utah?
03?
1982 - Arizona State because they beat us and Marcus Dupree and that's why I still do and always will hate everything Sun Devil related...as a matter of fact I refuse to recognize it as a part of the United States and have actually annexed it back to Mexico in my mind.

Unless you win the NC, it is about winning the conference championship. That's not to excuse our poor showing in the Fiesta Bowl.

Fixed
;)

Desert Sapper
1/14/2008, 12:15 PM
I vaguely recall the 2003 Fiesta Bowl (2002 season), but only because they replay it all the time on ESPN Classic (Ohio State and Miami).

I think WV got beat by ND in '89 in the Fiesta for ND's only champeenship in the last million years or so.

I also think we won one. Beat...Wyoming, I think.

Other than that, I got nothin'.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/14/2008, 02:41 PM
Championship

stoops the eternal pimp
1/14/2008, 06:45 PM
I d rather win both and not think about anything else

Crucifax Autumn
1/15/2008, 02:10 AM
This thread sucks without a time machine to next December!

KantoSooner
1/15/2008, 09:06 AM
Hear, hear!
Or at least a time machine to next Sept, with short stops in the spring and summer and August to get revved.

I FEEEL it. 2008 is the season of redemption.

Collier11
1/15/2008, 04:09 PM
This is what we need to have a shot at the MNC next year IMO

Our DB's need to become playmakers ala Roy, Everage, Strait, etc... and not just resistance

We need our O-line to be dominant which it should

We need SB to progress

We need 1 or 2 newcomers to become big time contributors, whether it be WR, LB, DB

Dan Thompson
1/15/2008, 08:59 PM
Take a look at the money Stoops gets for winning a Big XII championship vs a BCS bowl game.