PDA

View Full Version : OU Women vs. the Pokes

Chuck Bao
1/12/2008, 08:52 PM
I'm really sorry if this thread has already been started, but I'm not getting this at all. 18 points behind?

Let's go Sooners.

75-57 with 4:04 left?

Newbomb Turk
1/12/2008, 08:53 PM
osu is a much improved team. us, not so much.

silverwheels
1/12/2008, 08:57 PM
We can't shoot, defend, or hold onto the ball, and the refs are decidedly in OSU's pocket. Just a terrible day overall.

Chuck Bao
1/12/2008, 08:59 PM
We haven't lost this bad since...what?

We need to pull it back together.

Cam
1/12/2008, 09:01 PM
This is an old fashioned beat down.

tommieharris91
1/12/2008, 09:02 PM
Why did you start this thread?

jdsooner
1/12/2008, 09:03 PM
Looks like 2008 is not our year.

silverwheels
1/12/2008, 09:04 PM
We haven't lost this bad since...what?

We need to pull it back together.

We haven't lost this badly since Michigan State 2 years ago. Embarrassing to lose to such a mediocre team, but I get the feeling it won't be such a good game for the Lady Cowboys in Norman later this season.

Newbomb Turk
1/12/2008, 09:04 PM
Why did you start this thread?

why not?

jdsooner
1/12/2008, 09:09 PM
There are a lot of ugly people and clothes in that crowd.
There's a woman on the bench who looks like she could be Mrs. Robert Allen!

Chuck Bao
1/12/2008, 09:12 PM
Why? Because I'm a big fan of our team, win or lose.

I finally got CSTV radio thing to work and it took me a while to read through threads on the board. It's 9am Sunday morning here.

I'm hoping that someone will start threads in the future for better luck.

Ahem...Turk, jdsooner, silverwheels, cam, tommieharris91?

silverwheels
1/12/2008, 09:14 PM
I considered starting a thread for the game but we were so far down already I didn't see the point. As soon as the Jags-Pats game was on, I switched it over to that.

Newbomb Turk
1/12/2008, 09:22 PM
I considered starting a thread for the game but we were so far down already I didn't see the point. As soon as the Jags-Pats game was on, I switched it over to that.

same here.

Newbomb Turk
1/12/2008, 09:24 PM
I'm hoping that someone will start threads in the future for better luck.

Ahem...Turk, jdsooner, silverwheels, cam, tommieharris91?

usually TD2k will start a thread. I'm thinking her back is still bothering her, or she is feeling better and went to the game.

jdsooner
1/12/2008, 09:26 PM
STILLWATER, Okla. (AP) -- Andrea Riley scored a career-high 45 points and No. 25 Oklahoma State ended its longest losing streak ever in the ****** rivalry by knocking off sixth-ranked Oklahoma 82-63 on Saturday night.

With the teams both in the Top 25 for the first time ever in the 80-game series, Riley and the Cowgirls (14-1, 2-0 Big 12) were in control from the beginning.

Riley scored all 14 of Oklahoma State's points during one second-half stretch, extending the lead to 57-38 with a 3-pointer from the left wing and the lead reached as many as 23 at one point.

Riley got both of Oklahoma's point guards in deep foul trouble with drives to the basket and was equally deadly from long range, going 4-for-7 from 3-point range. Late in the game, Oklahoma (10-3, 1-1) tried to double-team the speedy guard as she brought the ball upcourt but it only resulted in more fouls 30 feet away from the basket.

Riley's 45 points were the most ever scored by a Cowgirls player at Gallagher-Iba Arena and the second-most in school history, behind Donna Ridling's 51 against Tulsa in 1978.

Fans stormed the court after the game, and coach Kurt Budke -- who wore a bright orange sportcoat -- shouted into a microphone to thank the crowd of 13,611.

"We could not have done this tonight without the greatest crowd in America," Budke said. "I think tonight we might have seen the best player in the conference in Andrea Riley."

Courtney Paris, who scored 41 points in Oklahoma's win last season in Stillwater, had 15 points and 19 rebounds for her 74th consecutive double-double. Amanda Thompson added 18 points and Nyeshia Stevenson scored 10.

Danielle Green posted 17 points and a career-best 12 rebounds for Oklahoma State, which drew its first-ever sellout for a women's game after Sooners coach Sherri Coale predicted there would be more fans wearing crimson than orange during the game.

That had been the case for most of Oklahoma's 17-game winning streak against Oklahoma State, which included wins by double figures in their last 11 meetings. Not this time.

With the crowd behind them, the Cowgirls sped out to a 9-0 lead and were never really challenged on the way to their first ****** win since March 2, 1999.

The Sooners couldn't get anything going from outside -- going 5-for-20 from 3-point range -- and struggled to get the ball to Paris between double- and triple-teams.

The Cowgirls scored the final four points of the first half and then got back-to-back baskets from Riley after halftime to stretch their lead to 34-17.

The 17 first-half points scored by the Sooners were their lowest total in a half since they had only 12 in the second half of a 72-36 loss at Texas on Feb. 26, 2005.

The Maestro
1/12/2008, 09:28 PM
Apparently, the OU women miss Stacey Dales. So do I.

SOONER STEAKER
1/12/2008, 09:33 PM
OSU' Riley couldn't miss. Next time we play them in Norman, I will volunteer to Jeff Galooly her knee. :eek:

MichiganSooner
1/12/2008, 09:33 PM
In Big 12 football, fans are not allowed on the field. Why are fans allowed on the court at OSU? Or is it not a rule? Did OSU girls shake hands of Sooners after the game? And did the coaches shake hands? What is the deal with sportsmanship at OSU?

An old football coach told his players that when they scored a touchdown to act like they had been in the endzone before. Can the OSU cowgirls and fans act like they have won a game before?

SOONER STEAKER
1/12/2008, 09:36 PM
Yu would ahve thought the Pukes won the Super Bowl. Some fans put Riley on there shoulders. I hope the OU women noticed it, that way they will play more inspired when they come to Norman minus Riley after I Galooley her in the knee.

runnergarland
1/12/2008, 09:41 PM
Let us hope this is bad karma day. Better to get it out of the sysem now then at the tournament.:texan:

OKC-SLC
1/12/2008, 10:57 PM
Just got home a bit ago and read about the game.

Granted, there were a lot of things that went wrong in this game. And Coale's statement -- "It was just hard. Any time we tried to do anything, she got a free throw," Coale said. "It's hard when a player is that far away from the basket to do anything." -- the officiating was not wholesome.

But one thing we CONSISTENTLY do is turn the ball over. We've done it quite well the last two years. Today we had 18 to their 4.

Soonerfan88
1/13/2008, 12:23 AM
I'm not saying that the girls were great or even good tonight but....it's hard to concentrate on your game when you are so afraid that every move you make will bring a whistle. I've NEVER seen officiating that bad in my life in any sport.

tulsaoilerfan
1/13/2008, 02:47 AM
how bad was the foul discrepancy?

usmc-sooner
1/13/2008, 09:50 AM
not saying the refs were the reason we lost, they weren't but those refs could be members of orangepower . com, probably in the top 5 worst I've ever seen. But again we did stupid stuff and made turnover after turnover. The girls at times looked like it was a pick up game with no sort of plan.

birddog
1/13/2008, 09:55 AM

25-15. i didn't see the game but it sounds like we were a step slow all night.

Ash
1/13/2008, 09:59 AM
Once again, Coale shows she and her staff have no idea how to make adjustments or game plan. They have one way of playing and if they can't do that, just pack it in and let the other team run over them.

Sherri's done a good job in many respects, but nobody will confuse her with any of the brilliant tacticians of the game.

MichiganSooner
1/13/2008, 12:48 PM
orangepower.com is having fun with our comments on this thread. Follow link to some of their jewels.

http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=47172

I am personally proud of a reply to one of my comments on our forum, "Can the OSU cowgirls and fans act like they have won a game before?", a puke fan made on their forum.

Quote: To the last guy, Michigansooner. NO! They shouldn't act like they've won this game before, because they haven't! They've earned every right to celebrate like champions today!

I expected one of Soonerfans best to give me such a reply but the beauty is getting it from an OSU fan.

usmc-sooner
1/13/2008, 12:57 PM
heh that's some funny stuff, I think they crap their pants every time they beat us.

that being said they took us to the woodshed!! Riley looked like the best player in college.

tommieharris91
1/13/2008, 01:16 PM
They're celebrating our loss to Kansas State too.

NormanPride
1/13/2008, 01:19 PM
I wish I had recorded that game for the officiating comedy gold. We tuned in for about 2 minutes after we got back from watching the Packer game, and in those two minutes we fouled 4 times. Poor Danielle was 3 feet from the girl she fouled one time. :D

crawfish
1/13/2008, 03:06 PM
I saw Amanda Thompson get absolutely whacked on the arm while shooting...no call. OSU gets the rebound, takes it down to the other side, and drob gets a weak foul called for lightly bumping their player. It was like that all night.

The refs aren't why we lost the game - that happened because we couldn't hit the side of a barn - but the fact they let osu get away with so much physical play kept us from ever finding any rhythm.

silverwheels
1/13/2008, 04:01 PM
orangepower.com is having fun with our comments on this thread. Follow link to some of their jewels.

http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=47172

They live to beat OU, and we live to win the conference and do well on a national stage...in just about every sport.

tommieharris91
1/13/2008, 04:06 PM
I heard one of their fans on a call in radio show that their football team looked good against OU when we played them. He was being serious. Traber told the guy off.

Chuck Bao
1/13/2008, 04:10 PM
That's my first and last time visiting that website. I'm never following links there again. They can do and say what they want, it doesn't matter a bit to me.

silverwheels
1/13/2008, 04:13 PM
That's my first and last time visiting that website. I'm never following links there again. They can do and say what they want, it doesn't matter a bit to me.

I go to their boards every once in a while. It's like watching a dog chase his tail. Not the brightest bunch of fans in the world.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/13/2008, 04:55 PM
I was at the Sequoyah County Tournament last night so I taped the game on FSN. Problem was, when I got home to watch the tape, being in the extreme western edge of SEC country, we got the FSN feed of the LSU-Ole Miss and Tennessee-South Carolina games instead. So when I saw the score, I was glad I didn't get to see that game; must have been a real train wreck.

dedsa1960
1/13/2008, 06:10 PM

Fouls were OU-25 OSU 15. But there has been only four games this season that OU had less fouls than the opponent. OU averages 18 fouls a game. OU is just a physical team.
Fouls for the ISU game was OU 23 - ISU 15. Think it a case where the coaches are working the refs. Very similar to the master...Billy Tubbs.

tulsaoilerfan
1/13/2008, 06:17 PM
There's no excuse for losing that badly to the Chokin' Pokes no matter where the game is played

rubyspirit
1/13/2008, 07:56 PM
Rude awakening ... I guess the the star player everyone has been talking about (can't think of her name at this moment) is hot. Only 4 turnovers for O State? Wow.

ouwapiti
1/13/2008, 08:06 PM
granted, i've only seen three games....but the guards couldnt throw it in the ocean if they were standing on the beach.........#6 in the nation???.Not...may not be #6 in the big 12 unless the guards play better

MichiganSooner
1/13/2008, 08:12 PM
Today, I was outside briefly running errands for my business and was amazed at the number of people wearing orange. I mean there were dozens in just a few minutes; far more than normal. Give them 2 wins in a day and the fans come out of the closet. But.... I thought they didn't have bandwagon fans.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/13/2008, 08:27 PM
Good for OSU that they've gone from being a doormat to a Top 25 team in just two years. I don't care if it's OU, OSU, Tulsa, UCO, NSU, East Central, Carl Albert State College, whomever, it's good for the state of Oklahoma to have successful teams. And I remember Kurt Budke from his days at Trinity Valley Community College in Athens, Texas. He had some powerhouse teams. I used to work in Kilgore and Kilgore College had some great women's teams but TVCC would just have its way with them. I hated him then just as I did now. He's one of those cocky coaches like Bill Belichick you just love to hate but you can't deny his coaching abilities.
If there's anything good that came out of this game, it's that it has made this rivalry even more intense. We sort of took this game for granted, especially when we were drilling them in the Goodenough era and maybe a loss like this was a wake-up call. Another thing: I'm glad we played them up there first. Because now, they've got to come to OUr place. Budke can wear his orange coat if he wants. Betcha we'll be ready for them when they come down to LNC.

OSUAggie
1/13/2008, 08:32 PM
They live to beat OU, and we live to win the conference and do well on a national stage...in just about every sport.

Yes, the school with the most national titles in the state (doubling the count of their nearest competition), conference, and eastern 2/3 of the country only lives to beat Oklahoma in just about every sport, not to win any sort of trophy.

silverwheels
1/13/2008, 08:38 PM
Yes, the school with the most national titles in the state (doubling the count of their nearest competition), conference, and eastern 2/3 of the country only lives to beat Oklahoma in just about every sport, not to win any sort of trophy.

Congrats on all those national titles, the vast majority of which are in wrestling. Doesn't mean your fanbase as a whole doesn't have a massive inferiority complex towards OU. One look at any OSU message board and you can see it.

OSU fans get super excited when they beat OU in anything. OU fans expect to beat OSU and rarely get that excited about it.

dedsa1960
1/13/2008, 08:44 PM
Congrats on all those national titles, the vast majority of which are in wrestling. Doesn't mean your fanbase as a whole doesn't have a massive inferiority complex towards OU. One look at any OSU message board and you can see it.

OSU fans get super excited when they beat OU in anything. OU fans expect to beat OSU and rarely get that excited about it.

Yep! Its true. But let them get beat and its "Crying time again" for some fans. Placing the blame on anything other than just admitting the other team was better that game. And goes for some fans of every school. Not any school in particular.

silverwheels
1/13/2008, 08:46 PM
OU lost this game because we couldn't hit our shots and we turned the ball over way too many times, and the Pokes took care of the ball and hit their shots. The refs were decidedly in OSU's favor, but even if they weren't we still would have lost. One of the worst games I've seen the girls play in a long time.

OSUAggie
1/13/2008, 09:09 PM

I'll agree with your last statement, but that doesn't mean that OSU fans could give a **** about winning conference or national championships. Beating OU at anything is a big deal because (whether or not you'd like to admit it) each one of us typically provide a very solid measuring stick for the other and the schools are rivals on and off the playing field.

Competition breeds success, and the schools are very good at pushing one another in all endeavors. What other state of 3 million lays claim to a combined 72 national championships between two academic institutions?

The inferiority complex (which baffles me and is a bit overblown by the innerweb) exists only because of the football series. It'd be hard not to develop some sort of twitch if you were able to watch each one of the 102 contests with an orange sweater on. It's a very strange series that (at its height in the 70s and 80s) is beginning to be mirrored by the OSU-Texas series.

silverwheels
1/13/2008, 09:18 PM
Good points. I still don't like you guys, though. ;)

dedsa1960
1/13/2008, 09:48 PM
Good points. I still don't like you guys, though. ;)

Don't take it for granted you are on any OSU fan Christmas card list. :D

silverwheels
1/13/2008, 09:56 PM
Don't take it for granted you are on any OSU fan Christmas card list. :D

Actually, my great uncle is a big OSU fan, but he has season tickets to OU women's basketball since they're closer to where he lives. His Christmas cards have been pretty dull for the past 5 years or so. :D

TopDaugIn2000
1/13/2008, 10:28 PM
I was in Eufaula having Christmas (yeah, I know) with my dad and brother. I set the DVR and watched the game from the beginning when I got back, not knowing the outcome. Nearly made me SICK. OU couldn't do ANYTHING right, osu couldn't do ANYTHING wrong. It just sucked all the way around. :( :( :( :mad:

Cam
1/16/2008, 09:50 PM
Did they get the shirts done yet? I mean come on, it's Wednesday for cryin out loud.