PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma/Kansas Monday Night

Vegas Sooner
1/12/2008, 01:30 PM
I really hope we use the KSU game as a stepping stool for our bench-We are really going to need them come Monday night. I am really looking forward to see what Capel does with the team today. -And if you live in Norman-Please start going to the games. It sucks watching the game with the LNC empty.

SleestakSooner
1/12/2008, 01:31 PM
Preach on brother! Oh and could you put $50 down on OU to cover today... TIA :)

OKC-SLC
1/12/2008, 01:53 PM
I have the inside track on some tickets for the OU/KU game Monday night (I live in KC). I've got my fingers crossed.

Vegas Sooner
1/12/2008, 04:55 PM
Its going to be a tough task-KU is really good. I am really looking forward to the 2010 game there when Capel has his system and recruits really going.

tommieharris91
1/12/2008, 08:33 PM
I hope we can stay within 20 of them. I also hope they don't have a player that can't miss a shot.

OUstud
1/13/2008, 01:23 AM
I really hope we use the KSU game as a stepping stool for our bench-We are really going to need them come Monday night. I am really looking forward to see what Capel does with the team today. -And if you live in Norman-Please start going to the games. It sucks watching the game with the LNC empty.

It was a pretty good crowd today except on the west side, where it's always got empty seats. They need to let people take open seats in the lower level after 10:00 left in the first half, because if it's that well into the game, guess what, they probably aren't coming. It looks pretty dumb having most of the upper level almost full and the lower level having empty seats.

MextheBulldog
1/13/2008, 10:13 PM
I hope we can stay within 20 of them. I also hope they don't have a player that can't miss a shot.

OU +17 :)

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/14/2008, 10:25 AM

Speaking of the bench. I only got to hear a little of the game Sat night. Obviously Clark is gone but did Cade Davis or Tony Neysmith play? The box score only listed 7 names. Were either/both sick or injured? We will need to play at least 8 or 9 players in some game. Even might need to get a few minutes out of Beau Gerber in a few games if we have early foul trouble.

OUSKINS
1/14/2008, 10:49 AM
Speaking of the bench. I only got to hear a little of the game Sat night. Obviously Clark is gone but did Cade Davis or Tony Neysmith play? The box score only listed 7 names. Were either/both sick or injured? We will need to play at least 8 or 9 players in some game. Even might need to get a few minutes out of Beau Gerber in a few games if we have early foul trouble.

Nope, Capel stuck with the 7 man rotation. And because Taylor was in foul trouble and Leary didn't play much, it was a REALLY short bench on Saturday.

I think Capel is making a mistake if he sticks with that. Not much he can do about the lack of size on the bench, so he is going to need to be creative and go smaller at times. The key is Davis. I think Capel needs to get him on the floor. And I think sometimes he'll need to get him on the floor in place of Longer or Blake. I know that sounds weird, but our two big men will need more rest time, and if it means we have to go small for short periods, then so be it.

cheezyq
1/14/2008, 11:14 AM
Nope, Capel stuck with the 7 man rotation. And because Taylor was in foul trouble and Leary didn't play much, it was a REALLY short bench on Saturday.

I think Capel is making a mistake if he sticks with that. Not much he can do about the lack of size on the bench, so he is going to need to be creative and go smaller at times. The key is Davis. I think Capel needs to get him on the floor. And I think sometimes he'll need to get him on the floor in place of Longer or Blake. I know that sounds weird, but our two big men will need more rest time, and if it means we have to go small for short periods, then so be it.

Being in KC, I've only seen a very small bit of Cade Davis. I have yet to see him make a shot, outside or otherwise, and I've seen him responsible for a few turnovers. I tend to think that it's just freshman jitters and learning the college game, so I'm definitely not disagreeing with your assessment of Cade's abilities. But I certainly don't question Capel for thinking he's not ready yet.

Capel makes some decisions that leave me wondering "what the heck is he thinking", but I can't disagree with the results. Like you, I'd like to see him empty the bench a bit more and get these guys some playing time in some big games. But these last several games have been some of the most exciting Sooner BB games I've seen since the Tubbs era.

OUSKINS
1/14/2008, 11:23 AM
Being in KC, I've only seen a very small bit of Cade Davis. I have yet to see him make a shot, outside or otherwise, and I've seen him responsible for a few turnovers. I tend to think that it's just freshman jitters and learning the college game, so I'm definitely not disagreeing with your assessment of Cade's abilities. But I certainly don't question Capel for thinking he's not ready yet.

Capel makes some decisions that leave me wondering "what the heck is he thinking", but I can't disagree with the results. Like you, I'd like to see him empty the bench a bit more and get these guys some playing time in some big games. But these last several games have been some of the most exciting Sooner BB games I've seen since the Tubbs era.

Capel is a stud. OU is going to be VERY good (Final Four good) if we can get him to stick around. And I agree....this team is HIGHLY entertaining.

Davis is the best "pure" shooter on the squad, no doubt. Now, if he can't get open, can't handle the ball, and can't play defense, then being a "pure" shooter doesn't do much good. But with our current situation, I don't think it hurts to get a shooter in there from time to time.

This is one of those situations where even if Davis isn't "ready," he might still have to play.

stoopified
1/14/2008, 12:50 PM
We could sure use Greasham or to walk-on and give use some inside muscle.If Loadholt has ANY ball skills we could use him too.

william_brasky
1/14/2008, 02:24 PM
Just saw on the ESPN that we've lost 8 straight up in Lawrence and that KU is the only program in the Big 12 to have a winning record against us.

Just thought I'd share. :texan:

stoops the eternal pimp
1/14/2008, 02:39 PM
I put major Vcash on the Sooners..They just need to finish

stoops the eternal pimp
1/14/2008, 02:40 PM
show some moxie too...and some swagger

boomersooner82
1/14/2008, 04:17 PM
Before this weekend, I figured this game would be a tough one given that Kansas is better and more talented, plus we haven't won a game up there since I was in fourth grade.

Now, I'm kind of worried about the quick turnaround between Saturday's game and tonight's. I think the guys left a lot on the court against k-state, and I'm just hoping they can bounce back and come up with something competitive against the rawk chalkers. For me, next Saturday's game against Tech is a big one. We'll be at home and have had a little extra rest (maybe be 0-2 in conference). IF we happen to lose tonight, a win over the Rai-duhs is a must.

Vegas Sooner
1/14/2008, 04:20 PM
unfortunately this is probably KU's best team in years. I really think this is one of the best big 12 basketball rivalries-We both usually have the best teams in the north/south, I also think it comes from '88.

King Crimson
1/14/2008, 04:31 PM
Just saw on the ESPN that we've lost 8 straight up in Lawrence

we *should* have won two years ago. we got jobbed in my opinion. Kaun is hacking and mugging the snot out of Taj in the paint for no call most of the last 10 minutes. while KU makes a "great" comeback.

birddog
1/14/2008, 04:35 PM
ku 81
lads 66.

we're just not in the same league "yet".

NormanPride
1/14/2008, 04:52 PM
I tend to agree, but I just can't shake the homerism. :D Go Sooners!

King Crimson
1/14/2008, 04:55 PM
ku 81
lads 66.

we're just not in the same league "yet".

nope. we need a good effort because 0-2 in conference and the KSU L in the home court column isn't gonna be real pretty when you start thinking we need 9 conference wins to start thinking about the NCAA.

getting run out of the gym wouldn't be good for our outlook. we need to be winning 3 of the next 5 or something to have a shot in March....which means bouncing back from 0-2, not losing games we might otherwise win.

our FT shooting is gonna cost us a close game or two anyway.

NormanPride
1/14/2008, 05:26 PM
Hell, it already has...

william_brasky
1/14/2008, 05:49 PM
Hell, maybe we should practice Free Throws. Someone call Jeff. :texan:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/14/2008, 06:39 PM
As far as the crowd, I was in L2. That was the loudest I've ever heard the LNC when we weren't playing texass, osu or tech.

birddog
1/14/2008, 07:28 PM
i really hope we don't get embarrassed tonight, fellas. i'm pretty worried about it. i can see us getting into all kinds of foul trouble, especially our guards.

but i'll be right here watching with you sob's because it's the sooners.

soonerhubs
1/14/2008, 09:14 PM
Can someone start the thread already. Or... can I do that?

Norman Sooner
1/14/2008, 09:15 PM
i really hope we don't get embarrassed tonight, fellas. i'm pretty worried about it. i can see us getting into all kinds of foul trouble, especially our guards.

but i'll be right here watching with you sob's because it's the sooners.

2 points in the first 5 minutes is not the way to start

Newbomb Turk
1/14/2008, 09:16 PM
Can someone start the thread already. Or... can I do that?

go for it. I started the last game thread and we lost. I'm not going 0-2. :O

Ground_Attack
1/14/2008, 09:16 PM
well that just sucks. best player just hurt his knee

Ground_Attack
1/14/2008, 09:18 PM
that foul called on Griffin was a big time flop by KU. He should be in Hollywood.

Ground_Attack
1/14/2008, 09:20 PM
what a Bull**** blocking call

Newbomb Turk
1/14/2008, 09:21 PM
well, at least I can move on to doing something else tonight.

Sooner98
1/14/2008, 09:21 PM
This could get very ugly real quick if Blake doesn't get back in there soon.

soonerhubs
1/14/2008, 09:22 PM
Uggghh... we'll just stay in this one. :(

Ground_Attack
we can't buy a basket.

Newbomb Turk
This could get very ugly real quick if Blake doesn't get back in there soon.

could get? I think we're there. :(

StormySooner-IN
1/14/2008, 09:23 PM
what a Bull**** blocking callAgreed. IT was Bull**** indeed.

What I need is sleep, what I don't need is to watch a beatdownof us after the Colts yesterday.

Good luck to OUr boys tonight. Try to enjoy the game everyone.

Good Night.:)

stoops the eternal pimp
1/14/2008, 09:24 PM
wow..this is not good

kevpks
1/14/2008, 09:25 PM
2008 has been the suck for Sooner athletics so far. Let's get this thing turned around fellas!

stoops the eternal pimp
1/14/2008, 09:27 PM
Kansas going all over the back

stoops the eternal pimp
1/14/2008, 09:28 PM
big 3 by Godbold

Newbomb Turk
1/14/2008, 09:29 PM
I can't wait till Godbold is gone. :rolleyes:

Sooner98
1/14/2008, 09:29 PM
Man, who is going to come in to give T. Griffin and Longar a break? Hope they ate their Wheaties today.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/14/2008, 09:30 PM
No Blake G is gonna make this a little difficult

stoops the eternal pimp
1/14/2008, 09:36 PM
nice move by Longar

Ground_Attack
1/14/2008, 09:39 PM
with no Moose and no Blake, Longer won't be able to breathe inside. I sure hope we learn to shoot the 3.

Ground_Attack
1/14/2008, 09:41 PM
damn Zebras...call an F'in foul on KU

Soonerus
KU very good, referees home towning to boot...a sure rout....frick...

stoops the eternal pimp
got to within 9, getting ugly again

okienole3
1/14/2008, 09:47 PM
got to within 9, getting ugly again

This was a long time ago. Did everyone give up? I am guessing Blake is done for the night.

OklaPony
1/14/2008, 09:48 PM
Well, the good news is that we get to see Stacey Dales in a few minutes. :)

SoonerAcesUp
1/14/2008, 09:49 PM
I don't think I've seen a team as good as Kansas this year and I'm not just saying that by tonight's performance. Anything less than a Final Four by them would be a big disappointment but they've been known not to do well in the tourney the last few years.

tulsaoilerfan
1/14/2008, 10:01 PM
Kansas going all over the back
I guess that's not a foul anymore

tulsaoilerfan
1/14/2008, 10:02 PM
This was a long time ago. Did everyone give up? I am guessing Blake is done for the night.
Looking at his face i would say he is done for tonight for sure; he looked pretty upset to me

crawfish
1/14/2008, 10:06 PM
I can't freaking wait for Sasha Kaun to graduate. I get that stupid "chaka khan" song in my head every time they say his name. :mad:

Ground_Attack
1/14/2008, 10:13 PM
Thank you sir, may i have another

boomersooner82
1/14/2008, 10:14 PM
Wow Crocker hasn't shown up

Soonerus
1/14/2008, 10:14 PM
...pathetic...

richsooner
1/14/2008, 10:16 PM
Get used to it. It's as good as it is going to get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOONER STEAKER
1/14/2008, 10:39 PM
KU is a juggernaut, no shame for OU, just a little embarrassing since it's on nation TV. We just need to get some better players and depth. From what I hear, help is on the way though.

King Crimson
1/14/2008, 10:39 PM
...pathetic...

irony alert.

boomersooner82
1/14/2008, 10:40 PM
Wow Crocker hasn't shown up

I wish he'd play like he wants the ball more often

Soonerus
1/14/2008, 10:40 PM
irony alert.

chump alert....

kbsooner
1/14/2008, 10:41 PM
did you expect much more? once Blake went down, I knew that keeping within 30 would be a chore. Oh well, at least L^2 probably is going to make some cash off his performance with the NBA scouts on hand...

Ground_Attack
1/14/2008, 10:51 PM
did anyone outside of L2 show up?

boomersooner82
1/14/2008, 10:55 PM
did anyone outside of L2 show up?

No not really

tulsaoilerfan
1/14/2008, 10:56 PM
Who would have thought 3 years ago that Longar would be at worst the second best player we have when he was a senior? LL is a great representative for OU and it's fans; wish we had a few more like him

tulsaoilerfan
1/14/2008, 10:57 PM
Even though they were down quit a bit already, losing Griffin so early in the game was a back breaker

Soonerus
1/14/2008, 11:00 PM
LL is playing great....as a consolation....

olevetonahill
1/14/2008, 11:08 PM
chump alert....
Idiot alert !!! :cool:

Soonerus
1/14/2008, 11:09 PM
Idiot alert !!! :cool:

OLE alert...

olevetonahill
1/14/2008, 11:11 PM
OLE alert...
Yup At least I love the Sooners!!!
Pervert !!!

Soonerus
1/14/2008, 11:14 PM
I love the Sooners but they make me sick at times, should I mention the examples...never mind, no need to state the obvious...

bri
1/14/2008, 11:32 PM
I think you should start a different thread for each of your "examples". There's just not enough of your random non sequitors clogging up the boards.

Soonerus
1/14/2008, 11:34 PM
I think you should start a different thread for each of your "examples". There's just not enough of your random non sequitors clogging up the boards.

OK, cheese, thanks for the idea....

olevetonahill
1/14/2008, 11:43 PM
You ******* ! Now you got him started !:P :eek:
Worser than he was !:eek:

GottaHavePride
1/15/2008, 12:14 AM
I can't freaking wait for Sasha Kaun / Drew Gooden / Kirk Hinrich / Raef LaFrentz to graduate.

Fixed.

Man, I hates me some KU basketball players.

bri
1/15/2008, 12:47 AM
OK, cheese, thanks for the idea....

No problem, Slapnuts...

OKC-SLC
1/15/2008, 01:30 AM
I went over to Lawrence for the game, my first at KU. Neat arena, cozy feel to it. George Brett was there, which is cool. Not probably the most energetic crowd because it was never close, but cool crowd.

KU in person is better than on TV. They are a great team. Their first three (if not more) off the bench would start at OU, IMO.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/15/2008, 09:27 AM
I went over to Lawrence for the game, my first at KU. Neat arena, cozy feel to it. George Brett was there, which is cool. Not probably the most energetic crowd because it was never close, but cool crowd.

KU in person is better than on TV. They are a great team. Their first three (if not more) off the bench would start at OU, IMO.

I've been to 3 OU-KU games at AFH. The fans are pretty good to be honest. My brother and I were about 2 of about 100 OU fans there one game and we didn't get any crap from any of the KU fans and it was a close game that time.

Sucks to get rolled but I do think KU is at worst the 2nd best team in the country and is very likely the best. Certainly better than Memphis. Could be the best Big 12 team in a decade.

We need to bounce back pretty quickly. Hopefully Blake can come back. The KSU loss was probably a bigger loss because we may be in a dogfight with them in the standings late in the year but I don't think it is shocking that we are 0-2. We can still get to 9-10 wins if Blake is OK and the team keeps working.

tulsaoilerfan
1/15/2008, 09:27 AM
LOL, tell it Bri:D

tulsaoilerfan
1/15/2008, 09:28 AM
I've been to 3 OU-KU games at AFH. The fans are pretty good to be honest. My brother and I were about 2 of about 100 OU fans there one game and we didn't get any crap from any of the KU fans and it was a close game that time.

Sucks to get rolled but I do think KU is at worst the 2nd best team in the country and is very likely the best. Certainly better than Memphis. Could be the best Big 12 team in a decade.

We need to bounce back pretty quickly. Hopefully Blake can come back. The KSU loss was probably a bigger loss because we may be in a dogfight with them in the standings late in the year but I don't think it is shocking that we are 0-2. We can still get to 9-10 wins if Blake is OK and the team keeps working.
So you are saying that maybe even Bill Self can't screw this one up?:D

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/15/2008, 09:31 AM
So you are saying that maybe even Bill Self can't screw this one up?:D

:D

I'm quite sure he still could but he might have to work a little more.

cheezyq
1/15/2008, 09:57 AM
I personally don't hate the Jayhawks. Most of my family have been huge basketball fans of KU, and I've rooted for them in the past (never against OU, of course).

But I have to say, I can't stand Bill Self. Just because he played at OSU and coached ORU and Tulsa, he has it in for OU and tries to show us up every time he can. Hopefully Capel will turn it all around soon and he won't be able to run up the score on us. KU is very, very good, and I'm not ashamed at losing to them, with or without Blake. But Self has always conducted himself like an a** when playing against us.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/15/2008, 10:02 AM
Fixed.

Man, I hates me some KU basketball players.

Rex Walters

picasso
1/15/2008, 01:41 PM
any school that has a chant: "poor Sooners" can sucketh me.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/15/2008, 01:54 PM

As bad as they beat us last night it is nothing compared to some of the bloodbaths that have occurred on the gridiron with KU.

We've had a hard enough time winning in Lawrence even when we have had top 10 teams though.

I still think this team is headed in the right direction. Hopefully this is the only time this year we suffer a blowout.

SleestakSooner
1/15/2008, 04:19 PM

How many scholarships did we give up for Sampson's phone habits? Combine the self-imposed sanctions with the loss of Clark and now perhaps Blake Griffin and they might as well add pi$$ in front of that chant.

It's alright though, I still believe Capel will have us on the winning tilt again soon.

Ash
1/15/2008, 04:57 PM
At full strength with a good shooting performance, Kansas wins that game by at least 10. They're that good, it's their homecourt, they'll get beat/challenged when they decide not to come to play one night.

They came out intense and on fire, which was only worse for the undermanned Sooner team. A thin frontcourt that was weakened when Clark left, was basically reduced to a one-man show when Griffin went down, and KU exploited that.

I love Taylor G and the energy and grit he brings but he can't make up for the size and athleticism against KUs frontcourt.

This isn't about the program or Capel. We were just outclassed. Kansas is going to do that to a lot teams this year. As Capel brings in more players look for the talent, athleticism and depth to improve.

The team could have played better, the mistakes and poor shooting just compounded the disparity of the teams and it snowballed.

L2 is the man. The lone bright spot last night but worth watching him go 1 on 3, basically, in the post and still get his.