PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Tactic for the Horns . . .

KingDavid
1/12/2008, 12:58 PM
I think this is pretty interesting, and possibly something we should consider doing. Not only does it potentially mitigate the "stupid" factor (e.g. see Bomar, Broyles, Granger, et. al.), but it might put an extra "recruiter" in the field. Note the interesting title for the position.

This is from the Statesman (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/01/12//0112rucker.html):

Horns join Arkansas, Georgia as schools with high school director positions

By Alan Trubow
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Saturday, January 12, 2008

Seven suspensions, numerous arrests and overall embarrassment last offseason led Mack Brown and the Texas football team to create a new position.

This offseason, it will be Ken Rucker's job to make sure those events don't happen again.

Rucker, Texas' current running backs coach, is the Longhorns' new director of high school relations and player development.

"There are a lot of issues with young people throughout the country, and we want to address them," Brown said Friday. "It certainly doesn't mean that we're not going to have any more issues," he said. "When you've got 130 kids in society, you're going to have problems because they're at a learning stage in their life. They're at a decision-making point in their life and they make poor decisions sometimes.

"What we felt was we wanted to take an aggressive approach to our problems we had over the summer."

Rucker won't have much time to get acclimated to his new position. His first job was helping Texas' eight early enrollees get adjusted to their first night as college students. The Longhorns expect another recruit to be on campus on Monday.

Austin High offensive lineman Mark Buchanan, Allen receiver Dan Buckner, Giddings athlete Brock Fitzhenry, Leander safety Blake Gideon, Nederland linebacker Dravannti Johnson, Southlake Carroll running back Tré Newton, Gilmer offensive lineman David Snow and Westlake kicker Justin Tucker arrived on campus Friday, and Rucker was planning on calling them Friday night to make sure they were comfortable, settled and out of trouble.
Texas isn't the first school to implement this position. Both Arkansas and Georgia already have created similar jobs, which do not count against the nine assistant coaches allowed by the NCAA.

Rucker, who will remain in his current position and continue recruiting until Brown finds a replacement, is excited about his new opportunity to connect with the Longhorns on a deeper level.

"It's very important. They have needs just like your own children do," said Rucker, who has coached for 28 years, including the past three with the Longhorns. "To have an extra set of eyes and someone to be there for them 24/7 is something that's very important to us."

Rucker, who successfully battled prostate cancer this season, also will deal with high school coaches, summer camps and recruits' unofficial visits. One of his main duties will be maintaining the team's new curfew.
At the beginning of last season, Brown stated a curfew wouldn't be a viable option to keep his team in check. He changed his mind after the November loss to Texas A&M and enforced a midnight curfew leading up to the Holiday Bowl victory over Arizona State.

Brown liked the results and decided to continue the curfew throughout the year.

OU_Sooners75
1/12/2008, 04:41 PM
Really not a bad idea.

Flagstaffsooner
1/12/2008, 04:53 PM
I'm still rooting for texass in the Fulmer Cup.

KantoSooner
1/12/2008, 10:22 PM
In the interests of OU and our ongoing drive toward an eighth NC, I volunteer for this new post. My demands are simple:

salary in the low to mid-six figures.
A car.
Freedom to perform my task of keeping tabs on the players and their associates.

I figure that hanging out on campus and intervening in out of control parties with a good salary is a gig for which I am uniquely prepared. My life to date has been one long training program, as a matter of fact.

Anybody have Bob's cellphone number? He needs to know I'm available.

GottaHavePride
1/12/2008, 11:19 PM
No, but I might be able to get Barry's ;)

I'd have to ask real nice, though.

Vaevictis
1/13/2008, 01:05 AM
Pfft, cell phone? It's not like the guy is hard to stalk. Just hang out at the stadium and look for heavily tinted windows on a mid-range or better vehicle.

If you need cover, pass out bibles.

OUstud
1/13/2008, 01:24 AM
High School Relations. Heh.

Crucifax Autumn
1/13/2008, 01:53 AM
Is it just me or does this seem like a borderline breaking of rules and an opportunity to get around recruiting rules? Either way, I'd think it's a pretty fine line.

jps
1/13/2008, 02:58 AM
Does the midnight curfew extended throughout the year mean that they must be home by midnight every night of the year? Is that just on weeknights?

Flagstaffsooner
1/13/2008, 03:39 AM
Does the midnight curfew extended throughout the year mean that they must be home by midnight every night of the year? Is that just on weeknights?They must be back in their cells by midnight.

I see this as another PR stunt by Mack.

Crucifax Autumn
1/13/2008, 04:09 AM
Mack's just trying to create some cover for his criminal team.

OU_Sooners75
1/13/2008, 08:24 AM
Is it just me or does this seem like a borderline breaking of rules and an opportunity to get around recruiting rules? Either way, I'd think it's a pretty fine line.

Loopholes are a wonderful thing.

Vic n Tulsa
1/13/2008, 09:52 PM
Mack's just trying to create some cover for his criminal team.

Yeah, check out the robber on your team before you speak up dumbass!:texan:

goingoneight
1/13/2008, 10:07 PM
Do we need to go to criminal record books (novels if you're a UT fan)? We have... what? One player this year and he gets suspended, you have armed robbery, drug and weapons charges, rape, etc. all playing every Saturday?

Nice try...

silverwheels
1/13/2008, 10:16 PM
Maybe BJW should be doing that instead of coaching the secondary.

Crucifax Autumn
1/14/2008, 02:10 AM
Yeah, check out the robber on your team before you speak up dumbass!

Yeah, cause shoplifting under 100 bucks is SO much worse than the assaults, armed robberies, home burglaries, and child rapers on some of the other teams in the conference. And Stoops never covered anyone's ***...he sent 'em home.

sooneron
1/14/2008, 09:47 AM
Robber? I'm sorry, who is the dumbass? If you're referring to the Defensive Tackle from TEXAS that was caught shoplifting a $75 jacket, then you have what is called...

WEAK

SAUCE

Get a dictionary mensa boy

robber

noun
a thief who steals from someone by threatening violence

freshchris05
1/14/2008, 11:10 AM
So are they taking applications??

freshchris05
1/14/2008, 11:11 AM

Robbery -

The act or an instance of unlawfully taking the property of another by the use of violence or intimidation.

i'm not defending the guy but, really? if you would have said thief i would have left you alone... bust out the thesaurus next time chief...

TheHumanAlphabet
1/14/2008, 11:37 AM
While not a bad idea, I can't get the idea as an adult baby sitter out of my mind...But not in the hot looking babe teacher sort of way. More of the Bronco Nagurski, I'll eat your face way...;)

BIG_IKE
1/14/2008, 11:47 AM
It's not a bad idea. I mean. what ELSE can you do???
Coaches did not raise these players and make them the young men they are when they arrive at school. Blaming the coaches for the players actions off the field is kinda silly. It's not very easy to know what your getting out of these high schools either. Especially if the kid has no record, because doesnt mean he is not a potential bad apple.

I know Coach Rucker personally. When I was at the RC Slocum Football Camp in 94' he was the Rb's Coach at A&M and he is a no nonsense type of guy. Kind of like a drill sergeant. Pretty high charged motivated guy. I think this idea will work. I remember the first day of practive he ran onto the field screaming and did a somersault right in front of us and started screaming and beating on his chest, he was hilarious.