View Full Version : It's Just Not Going Away

PLaw
1/12/2008, 09:32 AM
As reported in today's DOK:

Sat January 12, 2008
By Jenni Carlson
The Oklahoman

Perhaps Trojans should face NCAA sanctionsRelated Articles

Oklahoma fans miffed about those football games that the NCAA wanted vacated should probably sit down.

Reggie Bush reportedly accepted nearly $300,000 while at USC.

Makes the $17,000 overpaid to Rhett Bomar and Co. look like chump change, eh?

A new book details the claims that Bush received payments totaling more than a quarter of a million dollars for everything from shopping sprees to a customized car. "Tarnished Heisman” is based largely on interviews with Lloyd Lake, the aspiring agent who tried to buy his way into Bush's world and who recently spoke to NCAA investigators.

Lake taped numerous conversations with Bush and his stepfather, and while that fact has been reported, the contents of the calls had not.

Here's one alarming excerpt:

Lake: I'm thinking you know your dad told me, "I told Reggie, you know. Reggie said thanks, and he appreciates the way you're looking out for us.” ...

Bush: I'll make sure you get all that back. I don't know how much it is, I am not going to say it, but I'll make sure you get it all back.

That conversation happened after Bush won the Heisman Trophy in Dec. 2005 but before he played his final game for the Trojans.

The book's authors, Don Yaeger and Jim Henry, warn in the opening page, "The reader should be aware that Lake has been compensated in return for his full cooperation, including his provision of the tapes.” The disclosure is appreciated, but the tapes speak for themselves.

So, what will the NCAA have to say about all this?

If it slapped down Oklahoma for the transgressions of Bomar, J.D. Quinn and Jermaine Hardison, why wouldn't it do the same with USC? The NCAA forced the Sooners to vacate victories, slapped them with a failure-to-monitor charge — rulings under appeal — and called the violations "significant and serious” because of the amount of money involved.

If $17,000 was enough to draw sanctions for the Sooners, then $300,000 should be more than enough to do the same for the Trojans.

Hmmm, Reggie knocked down a cool quarter mil while playing at SUC. Makes you wonder what other SUC stars are able to get. These issues typically involve multiple players and are rarely, if ever, limited to an individual. McKnight??

BOOMER

OU-HSV
1/12/2008, 10:03 AM
I can't believe it's taking them this effin long to figure out what needs to happen to suc and Bush for what he's done. What a bunch of b.s.

StormySooner-IN
1/12/2008, 10:07 AM
I can't believe it's taking them this effin long to figure out what needs to happen to suc and Bush for what he's done. What a bunch of b.s.It's garbage, I agree.

SOONERxWife73
1/12/2008, 10:15 AM
Ya think?

birddog
1/12/2008, 10:20 AM
why does lsu=cso? i'm new here.:O

oudivesherpa
1/12/2008, 10:38 AM
Nothing is going to happen to USC, if you believe the NCCA follows the concept of "equal justice" then you probably believe in the tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny.

More of USC law school graduates are Federal Judges and partners at major law firms.

sanantoniosooner
1/12/2008, 11:02 AM
why does lsu=cso? i'm new here.:O
you'll have to read the game thread for the LSU/tOSU game.

guzziguy
1/12/2008, 11:19 AM
I can't believe it's taking them this effin long to figure out what needs to happen to suc and Bush for what he's done. What a bunch of b.s.

Takes a lot longer to come up with a story as to why no action is necessary?

OU-HSV
1/12/2008, 11:43 AM
Takes a lot longer to come up with a story as to why no action is necessary?
That's kinda part of what I mean to say. But my gosh they've had plenty of time to come up with the facts

PLaw
1/12/2008, 11:52 AM
Nothing is going to happen to USC, if you believe the NCCA follows the concept of "equal justice" then you probably believe in the tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny.

More of USC law school graduates are Federal Judges and partners at major law firms.

Although they never take away TV appearances anymore, the SoCal media market is just too big and they need to have at least one dominate SoCal Pac 10 team for the band wagon, sports finicky viewership.

BOOMER

Crimsontothecore
1/12/2008, 12:32 PM
It's no secret that usc is one of the ncaa's sacred cows.

OKC-SLC
1/12/2008, 01:00 PM
This case is quite egregious and is getting more and more press. The NCAA will have to rule on it eventually if for no other reason than to maintain what little veil of legitimacy they have.

soonerinabilene
1/12/2008, 01:56 PM
This article was not written by a mother of children, so it holds no meaning.

OUMedMan
1/12/2008, 02:39 PM
because the chief accuser is still in Federal Prison.

And when your chief accuser is a convicted felon, it somewhat compromises his credibility and the credibility of the case.

KingDavid
1/12/2008, 04:16 PM
because the chief accuser is still in Federal Prison.

And when your chief accuser is a convicted felon, it somewhat compromises his credibility and the credibility of the case.

taped conversations trump lack of credibility.

Purple Tiger
1/12/2008, 06:03 PM
USC and Notre Dame are above the law.

85sooners
1/12/2008, 07:39 PM
:pop:

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/12/2008, 08:02 PM
This article was not written by a mother of children, so it holds no meaning.Hear hear! Coaches in the know have shown the world how it's impossible for reporter Carlson to produce any credible journalism.

soonerloyal
1/12/2008, 08:43 PM
I'll bet any takers on this board $5 each, proceeds going to the Marine Corps Semper Fi Wounded Warrior Fund, that Bush and USC skates - nothing of real consequence will happen. Any takers?

If it were OU, we'd be off television for two years, lose most of our schollys, and receive the death knell from the NCdoubleeffinA.

I hate dishonorable conduct. Especially from those who are supposed to lead from the front. Screw the National Communists Against Atheletes, Reggie Bush, and the University of Southern California.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/12/2008, 09:10 PM
I'll bet any takers on this board $5 each, proceeds going to the Marine Corps Semper Fi Wounded Warrior Fund, that Bush and USC skates - nothing of real consequence will happen. Any takers?

If it were OU, we'd be off television for two years, lose most of our schollys, and receive the death knell from the NCdoubleeffinA.

I hate dishonorable conduct. Especially from those who are supposed to lead from the front. Screw the National Communists Against Atheletes, Reggie Bush, and the University of Southern California.Don't be afraid to speak your mind, woman!

jdsooner
1/12/2008, 09:12 PM
National Communists Against Athletes

sendbaht
1/12/2008, 09:39 PM
You are on brother. I think they go down. I do bet another $5 you hope I win this bet. Both proceeds ($10) if you except will go to the St. Jude Children Research Hospital.

Dan Thompson
1/12/2008, 09:46 PM
They don't know how to CTA on this one. Just give them time to make up a story.

KantoSooner
1/12/2008, 10:13 PM
The Sanctions committee Chairman of the NCAA (or whatever they call it) is from Miami, if I'm not mistaken. Kind of like Libya heading up the human rights committee at the UN.
They will find an excuse to do nothing.
The NCAA is so crooked, they have to screw their pants on in the morning.

Crucifax Autumn
1/12/2008, 11:42 PM
That's why we should all send e-,ails and try to recruit other people to send e-mails to all the sports sites, networks, and the NCAA. People all over the country demanding action just might help.