PDA

View Full Version : Someone explain this

soonerbrat
1/11/2008, 09:41 AM
on our way back from phoenix, my friend's checked suitcase was searched at the airport. the people that searched it put a little notice in there that it had been searched. My question is. Why did they slice the clear plastic ziplock bag open with a knife? wouldn't it have been easier to unzip it? They left a big hole in the bag and some of the stuff he had in there was liquid..the liquids all spilled all over the bag and ruined some of his clothes. Why do they do that?

sooner_born_1960
1/11/2008, 09:43 AM
They had to slice the bag open in case there was an IED attached to the zipper. Terrorists are tricky that way.

sooner n houston
1/11/2008, 09:45 AM
Your tax dollars at work! Now stfu and thank them for protecting you!!! :D

usmc-sooner
1/11/2008, 09:46 AM
probably because they had those plastic gloves on. Liquid in a plastic ziplock on a carry on would be suspicious.

I'm not saying it was the right thing for them to do. They should have unzipped it. What kind of liquid was he carrying in a ziplock back?

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2008, 09:47 AM
What else are they going to use that $1200 government issued utility knife for?

colleyvillesooner
1/11/2008, 09:49 AM
probably because they had those plastic gloves on. Liquid in a plastic ziplock on a carry on would be suspicious.

I'm not saying it was the right thing for them to do. They should have unzipped it. What kind of liquid was he carrying in a ziplock back?

It was a checked bag, not a carry-on.

Can you file a claim for something like that?

OKLA21FAN
1/11/2008, 09:50 AM
brat
why do you hate mercca?

sooner_born_1960
1/11/2008, 09:53 AM

You can file a claim for anything you want. Collecting is a different matter.

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2008, 09:54 AM
I think those guys get off on treating peoples stuff like crap.

usmc-sooner
1/11/2008, 09:55 AM

I'd complain to the airline might get some free tickets.

I still don't get why you'd have liquid in a ziplock though it's probably something obvious but I don't think I've ever put liquid that could damage my clothes in a ziplock then threw it in a suitcase.

colleyvillesooner
1/11/2008, 10:00 AM
this may be a don't ask don't tell situation. :D

1stTimeCaller
1/11/2008, 10:03 AM
cologne? motor oil?

Viking Kitten
1/11/2008, 10:03 AM
I always put stuff like shampoo and shower gel in a ziploc bag because it always leaks. I have a separate vanity case for stuff like that and I still use a ziploc or at least a tied plastic grocery bag. And whenever I get to my destination there is invariably leaked goo of some sort in the bag. The ziploc protects againt the goo getting all over your stuff.

I'd be complaining my a** off that they destroyed my property. I don't know if it would do any good, but I'd still complain.

soonerhubs
1/11/2008, 10:05 AM
That's crazy, seeing as my wife just told me this morning of a friend who argued until the officials let her have an electric buzz-saw as carry-on. We are not safe in the air as long as stupid people are allowed to work for TSA. Just saying...

FirstandGoal
1/11/2008, 10:08 AM
Sue them for 3 quadrillion dollars

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2008, 10:09 AM
That's crazy, seeing as my wife just told me this morning of a friend who argued until the officials let her have an electric buzz-saw as carry-on. We are not safe in the air as long as stupid people are allowed to work for TSA. Just saying...
There has to be a fall-back job for people who don't qualify as mall security.

soonerhubs
1/11/2008, 10:15 AM
There has to be a fall-back job for people who don't qualify as mall security.
Or dream jobs for you and I. ;)

usmc-sooner
1/11/2008, 10:16 AM
I always put stuff like shampoo and shower gel in a ziploc bag because it always leaks. I have a separate vanity case for stuff like that and I still use a ziploc or at least a tied plastic grocery bag. And whenever I get to my destination there is invariably leaked goo of some sort in the bag. The ziploc protects againt the goo getting all over your stuff.

I'd be complaining my a** off that they destroyed my property. I don't know if it would do any good, but I'd still complain.

that makes sense, as a guy I don't usually do that. I was thinking at first who puts left over stuff in a ziplock? I never thought of preventing bottles from leaking. Would that stuff ruin your clothes.

I'd file a complaint.

Sometimes those TSA guys crack me up.

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2008, 10:18 AM
that makes sense, as a guy I don't usually do that. I was thinking at first who puts left over stuff in a ziplock? I never thought of preventing bottles from leaking. Would that stuff ruin your clothes.

I'd file a complaint.

Sometimes those TSA guys crack me up.
Leaky fluids might ruin her high dollar fancy clothes.

Yours would be just fine ;)

VeeJay
1/11/2008, 10:30 AM
And whenever I get to my destination there is invariably leaked goo of some sort in the bag. The ziploc protects againt the goo getting all over your stuff.

TSA agents have goo which they sometimes apply to people's luggage.

usmc-sooner
1/11/2008, 10:34 AM
get one of those gag things where you open the pringles bottle and the fake snake pops out. that would be funny.

soonerhubs
1/11/2008, 10:39 AM
get one of those gag things where you open the pringles bottle and the fake snake pops out. that would be funny.
Now that would be cool. :D

VeeJay
1/11/2008, 10:44 AM
The thing that really bugs me is that whole take off your shoes bit.

For God's sake, use some common sense. I just want to get down to FL to see my kid - I'm not gonna get on a plane and light a fuse sticking off my Rockports!!

I'd rather hitchhike than fly now.

sooner_born_1960
1/11/2008, 10:45 AM
Yeah, cause taking your shoes off for a minute is way more difficult than hitchhiking to Florida.

Mongo
1/11/2008, 10:54 AM

Security after the prank: "this man was walking funny. Cavity search him"

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2008, 10:55 AM
I love how my 8 year old has been singled out for surprise baggage check several times already.

I guess that beard and towel on his head aren't helping.

usmc-sooner
1/11/2008, 10:58 AM
Security after the prank: "this man was walking funny. Cavity search him"

as long as they choke me

soonerbrat
1/11/2008, 11:05 AM

yep..he had cologne, shampoo and some other stuff in the ziplock bag.

usmc-sooner
1/11/2008, 11:09 AM
"other stuff" ? :D

soonerbrat
1/11/2008, 11:11 AM
yeah, like shaving gel, toothpaste, hair gel, and other misc. grooming products

GET YOUR MINDS OUT OF THE GUTTER!

OKLA21FAN
1/11/2008, 11:11 AM
I love how my 8 year old has been singled out for surprise baggage check several times already.

I guess that beard and towel on his head aren't helping.
that and those Allāhu Akbar chants

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/11/2008, 11:13 AM
I can't believe they did that. :mad: I always put liquids in a clear gallon size bag to prevent spillage. If everything was in its original container and the bag was clear, I don't know why they would even need to open it.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/11/2008, 11:14 AM

I guess that beard and towel on his head aren't helping.I have a coworker who gets checked without fail. When she's checking her bags they always ask her to move over to a different line so they can check them.

soonerbrat
1/11/2008, 11:17 AM
I can't believe they did that. :mad: I always put liquids in a clear gallon size bag to prevent spillage. If everything was in its original container and the bag was clear, I don't know why they would even need to open it.

that's exactly what it was - a clear gallon size ziplock bag.

JohnnyMack
1/11/2008, 11:17 AM
I flew home from Orlando yesterday. I hate that airport with the fire of 1,000 suns. I wish 10,000 alligators were let loose on that place, and then, after they've devoured all the incompetent workers and idiot Disney-travelling folk I would hope it would rain down fire on the airport, reducing it to a smoldering pile of rubble, and then a big sinkhole would open up underneath the rubble pile and swallow every bit of its existence.

I have nothing else to add to this thread.

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2008, 11:19 AM
My wife can't check in ahead of time over the internet with American Airlines because of our common last name. She has to wait in line and do it in person.

Would anyone really believe that Achmeds last name is Smith?

proud gonzo
1/11/2008, 11:53 AM

I'm not saying it was the right thing for them to do. They should have unzipped it. What kind of liquid was he carrying in a ziplock back?i hope that's sarcasm.

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2008, 11:55 AM
i hope that's sarcasm.
I think he was originally thinking it was a loose liquid in a baggy. Which would be weird.

Someone clarified that it was small bottles inside of the baggy.

usmc-sooner
1/11/2008, 12:00 PM
I think he was originally thinking it was a loose liquid in a baggy. Which would be weird.

Someone clarified that it was small bottles inside of the baggy.

yep

soonerbrat
1/11/2008, 12:21 PM
sorry, i didn't clarify..yes, it was bottles of liquids...not a baggie with just liquid in it

OKC-SLC
1/11/2008, 12:27 PM
I flew home from Orlando yesterday. I hate that airport with the fire of 1,000 suns. I wish 10,000 alligators were let loose on that place, and then, after they've devoured all the incompetent workers and idiot Disney-travelling folk I would hope it would rain down fire on the airport, reducing it to a smoldering pile of rubble, and then a big sinkhole would open up underneath the rubble pile and swallow every bit of its existence.

I have nothing else to add to this thread.
So, you're in for this weekend's trip to Epcot, right?

1stTimeCaller
1/11/2008, 12:41 PM
I would choke someone if they did that to me.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/11/2008, 01:09 PM

Yeah, I would file for 10 quadrillion. ;)

Czar Soonerov
1/11/2008, 01:17 PM
Was it a ziplock baggie full o' bourbon?

soonerbrat
1/11/2008, 01:19 PM
Was it a ziplock baggie full o' bourbon?

:rolleyes:
we've been through this

Czar Soonerov
1/11/2008, 01:30 PM
:rolleyes:
we've been through this

^^NOOB!^^

;)

OUDoc
1/11/2008, 01:34 PM
She drank the bourbon?

OKC-SLC
1/11/2008, 01:37 PM
seems like bourbon would spill a lot more if you cut a ziploc bag instead of opening it up appropriately. IMO.

proud gonzo
1/11/2008, 03:49 PM

Someone clarified that it was small bottles inside of the baggy.gotcha.

Viking Kitten
1/11/2008, 03:50 PM
Wait... were they small bottles of bourbon or big bottles of bourbon? I'm still confused on this issue.

OKC-SLC
1/11/2008, 04:14 PM
Wait... were they small bottles of bourbon or big bottles of bourbon? I'm still confused on this issue.
You simply aren't reading the thread.

The bourbon was stored in cologne and shaving cream containers. Think 'small bottles'.

Jimminy Crimson
1/11/2008, 04:17 PM
I used to get frisked everytime when they "randomly" frisked you at the gate.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/11/2008, 05:37 PM
I used to get frisked everytime when they "randomly" frisked you at the gate.TSA hates brown people!

proud gonzo
1/11/2008, 06:42 PM
I used to get frisked everytime when they "randomly" frisked you at the gate.they almost always check my carry-on for explosives.

usmc-sooner
1/11/2008, 07:53 PM
you could have some explosive "other stuff" in a one gallon plastic bag.:D

OCUDad
1/11/2008, 08:15 PM
they almost always check my carry-on for explosives.How often do they find them?

JohnnyMack
1/11/2008, 09:40 PM
So, you're in for this weekend's trip to Epcot, right?

Yes. I'll be there right after I kill myself.