PDA

View Full Version : Lemme axe you a question..

Hamhock
1/11/2008, 09:08 AM
I was driving around the greatest city in Oklahoma last night and ventured into mid-town and the north side. I was amazed at the number of limbs piled up along the side of the road.

I remember seeing on the news that the city had just signed a big contract with someone to come and remove all of the debris. Here's my question:

If an act of God causes bunches of limbs to fall on private property, why is there the expectation that the city would come haul it off for people?

I honestly don't understand why people don't think they need to haul off their own stuff.

serious question.

OUDoc
1/11/2008, 09:10 AM
Bobcats hide in that stuff.

OU4LIFE
1/11/2008, 09:11 AM
I would guess that the majority of people just don't have the means, ie pickup or trailer, to haul off stuff on their own. Say, two elderly people with no family and you are going to penalize them cause they can't do it themselves?

Hamhock
1/11/2008, 09:13 AM
I would guess that the majority of people just don't have the means, ie pickup or trailer, to haul off stuff on their own. Say, two elderly people with no family and you are going to penalize them cause they can't do it themselves?

I know lots and lots of people who have cleaned up their own yard and then moved on to single moms, elderly etc.

Bottom line, for me, the gubmit shouldn't be expected to pick up the limbs.

1stTimeCaller
1/11/2008, 09:13 AM
If the limbs sit there long enough they become a hazard to the public. Rats and other vermin will take up residence.

That and people in Tulsa are just weak sisters. OKC wouldn't have to do that.
;)

Hamhock
1/11/2008, 09:15 AM
If the limbs sit there long enough they become a hazard to the public. Rats and other vermin will take up residence.

;)

same goes with tall grass. you get a fine if you don't mow your tall grass.

the city doesn't just go driving around looking for people who haven't mowed their yard and mow it for free.

sooner_born_1960
1/11/2008, 09:15 AM
It's trash. I pay the city to pick up my trash.

OKLA21FAN
1/11/2008, 09:19 AM
when the 'big one' hit south OKC in the late '90s, did the city(s) help with the clean up?

just axen.

TUSooner
1/11/2008, 09:23 AM
I was driving around the greatest city in Oklahoma last night....

Other than that, how are things in Bessie?

Hamhock
1/11/2008, 09:25 AM
Other than that, how are things in Bessie?

that's not my wife's name :texan:

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2008, 09:37 AM
We have brush pick up twice a year around our neighborhood.

What is wrong with the city doing it once more to take care of the aftermath of a natural disaster?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/11/2008, 09:40 AM
when the 'big one' hit south OKC in the late '90s, did the city(s) help with the clean up?

just axen.As an F5 survivor, I can say yes they did.

colleyvillesooner
1/11/2008, 09:41 AM

What is wrong with the city doing it once more to take care of the aftermath of a natural disaster?

Well, then he wouldn't get to start a thread complaining now would he?

Hamhock
1/11/2008, 09:41 AM

what's wrong with the people who own the property cleaning it up?

if we have an unusually wet/long summer, will the city come mow my lawn for free?

Hamhock
1/11/2008, 09:42 AM
Well, then he wouldn't get to start a thread complaining now would he?

rest assured, I'd find something else.

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2008, 09:44 AM
what's wrong with the people who own the property cleaning it up?

if we have an unusually wet/long summer, will the city come mow my lawn for free?
The city does not already provide that service. They do provide the other.

People should be responsible for putting the limbs in the right place and in the right manner, but the city should pick it up.

If you are lucky, the city might even remove the stick from your behind;)

Hamhock
1/11/2008, 09:46 AM
The city does not already provide that service. They do provide the other.

my bad.

i thought the city already picks up trash, for a fee.. and mows people's grass who won't mow it themselves, for a fee.

TUSooner
1/11/2008, 09:47 AM
that's not my wife's name :texan:
I know. And I don't need to ax, neether. :texan: :texan:

1stTimeCaller
1/11/2008, 09:49 AM
i thought the city already picks up trash, for a fee..

so what's the problem? The people are already paying for this service.

usmc-sooner
1/11/2008, 09:50 AM
As an F5 survivor, I can say yes they did.

I'm afraid were going to need validation. Anyone can say hey I'm an F5 survivor but we're going to need some proof before you get to put that on your name tag.

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2008, 09:51 AM
my bad.

i thought the city already picks up trash, for a fee.. and mows people's grass who won't mow it themselves, for a fee.
The trash pick up is for a fee and is scheduled as a service to everyone.

Mowing grass is not a service of convenience they provide. It is something they do as a public health service that is not scheduled, but done only when necessary, and they bill you out the wazzu for a crappy job.

Are you TRYING to not understand this?

Hamhock
1/11/2008, 09:56 AM
i really wish you guys would just admit that you're wrong and that this is just another example of the nanny state and sense of entitlement of its citizens.

IB4OU2
1/11/2008, 09:58 AM
Maybe, because of the magnitude of the limbs and debri the city wants to control the removal to avoid chaos/injury/lawsuits. Alot of the debri was cleared from the residential streets by the city and thrown on the edge of the residents yards anyway because those streets were blocked by huge trees limbs and debri piles for days.

colleyvillesooner
1/11/2008, 09:59 AM
i really wish you guys would just admit that you're wrong and that this is just another example of the nanny state and sense of entitlement of its citizens.

I will admit that your coming off like a bobcat pizzed in your cereal.