PDA

View Full Version : How young is too young for an iPhone?

Sooner_Bob
1/11/2008, 08:11 AM
This 4th grader in my kids class was just given an iPhone for her birthday. Guess what my kid wants for her birthday now. :mad:

This was a couple of days ago . . . now she wants a Samsung BlackJack.

My wife and I have talked about getting her a tracfone or something prepaid at some point (nothing too expensive), but I almost think we should wait a while for that. She says she really only wants it for the internet access, we tell her that's what our PC at home is for. I think she's going to turn into a tech freak.

What do you parents out there think about this whole elementary age kids with cell phones idea? I see it causing nothing but trouble at school.

SoonerJack
1/11/2008, 08:32 AM
I agree with you SB. Fourth grade is way too young for a celly. That kids parents need to have their heads examined.

Vaevictis
1/11/2008, 08:40 AM
Geez, and I thought I was spoiled as a kid. An iPhone in fourth grade? That's an $1800 gift, if you include service.

OUDoc
1/11/2008, 08:57 AM
I didn't give my kids a phone until they were 14-15. That's still young to me.

1stTimeCaller
1/11/2008, 09:15 AM
I just bought my dog an iPhone but she's roughly 10 years old.

sooner_born_1960
1/11/2008, 09:18 AM
The kids, wife, mother-in-law all have phones on my plan. That's where I draw the line. If they want internet access or a fancy phone, they can go earn the money and buy it.

IB4OU2
1/11/2008, 10:11 AM
My things have changed....when I was that age I was excited about playng with 2 cans and a long string. :D

sooner n houston
1/11/2008, 10:13 AM
Bob, there is a word you can use as a parent! "NO"! YWIA.

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2008, 10:14 AM
My son has had a cell phone since he was 11, but he's very responsible and hasn't broken any rules we've given him regarding it. We probably wouldn't have done it that early if we hadn't ditched the land line at the house though.

Kids need phone internet access like they need a hole in the head though.

Mjcpr
1/11/2008, 10:15 AM
It only means that other kid's parents love her more. I wouldn't worry about it.

FirstandGoal
1/11/2008, 10:27 AM
My son got his first cell phone for his 12th birthday. I added him to my plan that I already had my mother on and it only cost me $10/month more.

The only reason he got this at such an early age is because he is in soccer year round, and because I am a single mom he has to depend on other people for rides, etc... and needs to be able to have a way to communicate.

Now that he is almost 15 and has more of a social life, it is nice to be able to call him and check in on him periodically. He asked me for an iphone for Christmas this year. After watching me laugh at him for about 5 minutes, he got the clue.

I also have a 10 year old daughter and there is no need at all for her to have her own cell, but when the need arises she will be added to my cellular plan with her own cheap-*** phone. :D

GottaHavePride
1/11/2008, 10:42 AM
In most schools in Wichita, if a teacher sees that iPhone inside a classroom in that school building, it's getting confiscated until the end of the school year. Cell phones are prohibited pretty much anywhere except in the kid's locker.

sooner_born_1960
1/11/2008, 10:43 AM
Moore schools have a similar rule that is pretty much ignored.

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2008, 10:44 AM
FWIW.......I'm a man, and I'm 40.

And I'm to young for an iPhone.

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2008, 10:46 AM
Moore schools have a similar rule that is pretty much ignored.
Usually they will give it back only when the parents come in and get an earful on the school policies

sooner_born_1960
1/11/2008, 10:48 AM
Usually they will give it back only when the parents come in and get an earful on the school policies
What I meant to say is, everyone in the classroom has a cell phone and the rule is pretty much ignored. Phones aren't confiscated.

GottaHavePride
1/11/2008, 10:50 AM
What I meant to say is, everyone in the classroom has a cell phone and the rule is pretty much ignored. Phones aren't confiscated.

So there's at least one area where Kansas > Oklahoma. ;)

Okla-homey
1/11/2008, 10:55 AM
I just bought my dog an iPhone but she's roughly 10 years old.

THAT'S 70 IN DOG YEARS!

Okla-homey
1/11/2008, 10:58 AM
This 4th grader in my kids class was just given an iPhone for her birthday. Guess what my kid wants for her birthday now. :mad:

This was a couple of days ago . . . now she wants a Samsung BlackJack.

My wife and I have talked about getting her a tracfone or something prepaid at some point (nothing too expensive), but I almost think we should wait a while for that. She says she really only wants it for the internet access, we tell her that's what our PC at home is for. I think she's going to turn into a tech freak.

What do you parents out there think about this whole elementary age kids with cell phones idea? I see it causing nothing but trouble at school.

Sometimes, divorced parents find it convenient to give the child a celly. That way, the non-custodial parent can talk to the kid without having to call the ex they now hate. Just saying.

frankensooner
1/11/2008, 10:59 AM
I can't think of a single reason a kid in grade school would need a cell phone, much less one with internet access.

Middle school, a phone is nice as they have more activites to attend, but still they don't need internet access.

I get by fine myself without a phone with internet access.

sooner_born_1960
1/11/2008, 11:03 AM
frankensooner should make a poll of this.

r5TPsooner
1/11/2008, 11:19 AM
I agree with you SB. Fourth grade is way too young for a celly. That kids parents need to have their heads examined.

I feel the same way about parents who buy there kids those expensive video games and consoles.

NEVER!

OUDoc
1/11/2008, 11:22 AM
I feel the same way about parents who buy there kids those expensive video games and consoles.

NEVER!
By buying my kids the new game systems, I get the new game systems. See why I do it? :)

And, kids don't need internet access on their phone until they pay for it themselves, IMO. The phone is one thing, internet access for a kid is just unnecessary.

r5TPsooner
1/11/2008, 11:25 AM
By buying my kids the new game systems, I get the new game systems. See why I do it? :)

And, kids don't need internet access on their phone until they pay for it themselves, IMO. The phone is one thing, internet access for a kid is just unnecessary.

That's just it. What's wrong with giving a kid a cell phone versus giving them video games that kill people and blow **** up? I know that it's "make believe" but still.

I guess I'm to old fashioned I guess with not wanting video games in the house.

sooneron
1/11/2008, 11:27 AM
That's retarded. I mean giving a kid a phone that costs that much. My girl will be lucky if she gets a plain cell phone before the 6th grade and that's 11 years from now!
No child under the age of being able to earn enough for an iphone and all that goes with it should have one.

Mongo
1/11/2008, 11:28 AM
That's retarded. I mean giving a kid a phone that costs that much. My girl will be lucky if she gets a plain cell phone before the 6th grade and that's 11 years from now!
No child under the age of being able to earn enough for an iphone and all that goes with it should have one.

you could pass her down your pink phone when she is old enough:D

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2008, 11:29 AM
That's just it. What's wrong with giving a kid a cell phone versus giving them video games that kill people and blow **** up? I know that it's "make believe" but still.

The responsibilities regarding a cell phone are totally different.

The issue of running up a bill for excessive texting
Calling at times/places that are inappropriate
Accessing things over the internet that the parent cant supervise

It's not even close dude.

r5TPsooner
1/11/2008, 11:40 AM
The responsibilities regarding a cell phone are totally different.

The issue of running up a bill for excessive texting
Calling at times/places that are inappropriate
Accessing things over the internet that the parent cant supervise

It's not even close dude.

As usual, I'll agree to disagree with you.

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2008, 11:42 AM
As usual, I'll agree to disagree with you.
Explain

The phone is portable and can not be monitored very easily

A gaming system is stationary and can be monitored as much as you want

How can you compare the two?

Games with killing aren't REQUIRED if you buy a system.

frankensooner
1/11/2008, 11:44 AM
I agree with the guy driving the dodge truck and not the armada. ;)

Although the guy driving the Armada's house looks very similar to my own.

r5TPsooner
1/11/2008, 11:47 AM
I agree with the guy driving the dodge truck and not the armada. ;)

Although the guy driving the Armada's house looks very similar to my own.

:)

MamaMia
1/11/2008, 11:57 AM
Oh for heavens sake, kids don't need an iPhone. They need lots of love, some discipline and plenty of sunshine. For safety's sake, I got my granddaughters and grandson Go Phones when they became old enough for sleepovers. Because they had them at such an early age, the glamor of having a phone wore off very quickly. The only time they even carry them is when they aren't going to be with any of us, and even then we have to remind them to grab their phones.

boomersooner28
1/11/2008, 01:18 PM
A 12-year old cousin of mine got an I-Phone for Christmas. My wife and I thought that was ridiculous. Save yourself some time and take $500 over to the toilet and flush it away.

OUDoc
1/11/2008, 01:22 PM

Yeah, I don't see the comparison either.

Sooner_Bob
1/11/2008, 01:23 PM
Bob, there is a word you can use as a parent! "NO"! YWIA.

:rolleyes: Really?

Sooner_Bob
1/11/2008, 01:25 PM
Sometimes, divorced parents find it convenient to give the child a celly. That way, the non-custodial parent can talk to the kid without having to call the ex they now hate. Just saying.

You don't need an iPhone for that though . . .

Sooner_Bob
1/11/2008, 01:26 PM

I'm not sure I'd call it old fashioned . . . :P