PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts on Next Season

Ban One Sooner
1/10/2008, 11:40 PM
So these are the points going through my head for next season, living abroad I didn't get to see all the games, so my point of reference is not as good as in years past, but here goes:

Spring football should be interesting, for the O-line I am curious if Patton can develop the quickness and technique of the tackles to be able to pick up blitzes off the edge, which they seemed to be vulnerable to at times. Also, if he can get the entire line to be able to consistently road-grade opposing D-lines next year based on their size. Am also curious strength wise to see where these guys are at, as they are young generally this in my mind may be one of the reasons they weren't always the weapon people expected them to be collectively.

Receiver: Kelly's loss hurts, even though he didn't consistently catch a lot of passes, he did consistently draw coverage and allow things to open up for the other guys. I'm wondering if Gresham will be as successful next year without Kelly. Adron Tennell's ACL hurts even more now that Kelly is out, as he may not be 100% until the end of next season. Not sure why Quentin Chaney was never used more, looks like they could have found a way to get him on the field for a few more plays, whether it was taking Finley out on certain passing downs to add one more receiver versus Finley, who was much more of a receiver than a tight end.

Running back: Stacked here, especially with the guys coming in. Should be fun to watch. Expect to see much platooning going on.

QB: May be very interesting to see if Stoops opens up this position for grabs in the spring. If Nichol is as good a runner as advertised, he gives the offense another dimension ala' Jason White prior to the knee surgeries. Of course, no one, outside of the coaches, really knows anything about his pocket presence, where he is at learning to read defenses, taking care of the ball etc. If he hasn't developed, then there may be no competition at all, but if he is as good as originally advertised, it should make things interesting. Should be very fun to watch this play out.

DB's: How many busts in a zone can you have in one year? I hope they get to the heart of this problem. This is the position Stoops background is in, so I would think he has got to be livid about our inability to play pass defense on so many occasions. Obviously, in man coverage you would expect Reggie to be able to cover anyone, but the other guys are a question. If they were strong, we would probably have seen more blitzes this past year.

DL: I hope Granger gets his act together. Should be a pretty decent group. Would be nice to have another high-motor guy like English who could get a bit more of a consistent rush from the front four.

LB: Hope Lofton comes back. Curious to see if Reynold's agility improves as his knees strengthen.

hink4769
1/11/2008, 12:01 AM
QB: May be very interesting to see if Stoops opens up this position for grabs in the spring. If Nichol is as good a runner as advertised, he gives the offense another dimension ala' Jason White prior to the knee surgeries. Of course, no one, outside of the coaches, really knows anything about his pocket presence, where he is at learning to read defenses, taking care of the ball etc. If he hasn't developed, then there may be no competition at all, but if he is as good as originally advertised, it should make things interesting. Should be very fun to watch this play out.

Has any QB that had as great a season as Sam had found themselves on the bench the next year? The only similar scenario that I can think of is the Applewhite-Simms thing at Texas, and I think the hindsight consensus was that Applewhite should have stayed the starter. Competition is good, and it wouldn't be bad for Stoops to nominally "open" the QB competition in the spring to push both guys, but I think Sam has earned the starting QB spot next year.
Just as an aside, did Nichol get alot of 1st team reps during bowl practice? Somebody was saying on the Animal today that Bradford showed alot of progress last year when he was given alot of reps and practice during that time. I was just wondering if they used that strategy again.

Ban One Sooner
1/11/2008, 12:11 AM
Has any QB that had as great a season as Sam had found themselves on the bench the next year? The only similar scenario that I can think of is the Applewhite-Simms thing at Texas, and I think the hindsight consensus was that Applewhite should have stayed the starter. Competition is good, and it wouldn't be bad for Stoops to nominally "open" the QB competition in the spring to push both guys, but I think Sam has earned the starting QB spot next year.

I tend to agree. The only thing is, does Stoops make a concerted effort to shake things up and go out on a few limbs based on the past few years? If so what would those be? Do you consider changing offense or defense from a philosophical standpoint? Do you try and make spring and fall practices more intense? What can you do as a coach to improve the focus, intensity and emotion of your team?

goingoneight
1/11/2008, 12:50 AM
Here's what I think on Spring Ball:

QB: Problem solved, right? Well, sort of...
Redshirt sophomore Sam Bradford looked like a collegiate Tom Brady for most of 2007. His natural athleticism showed an ability to avoid hits and pick up something out of nothing. Did we mention for a while he looked like he was threatening every passing record known to man in Norman, Oklahoma? Jason White often made it look good with his mechanics and touch, this guy looks to have all the tools to be better.
So what's wrong? Sam has the hand-eye thing down, one of the most accurate quarterbacks out there in 2007 as a freshmen, he's got the size, the speed, the arm strength, the mobility. He needs to be able to pick up the pace and run the offense quicker like White, Hybl and Heupel did. This may be a fault on Kevin Wilson for system, but even Rhett Bomar knew that time was valuable and could manage a two-minute drill. Oklahoma tried the two minute drill several times in 2007, only managing a couple of field goals when they were lucky to get in Super-kicker, Garrett Hartley's range (a guy who could hit 70-yarders).
Keith Nichol has to be a major bust if he can't unseat Joey Halzle as the #2 guy, and with a year and limited experience in the system, he should by all rights be able to take over successfully in the event Sam Bradford gets hurt. Maturity and touch are his only questions. Sure, he can throw the ball 70 yards, probably 70mph, too... but can he put it right in between the one and the eight on Jermaine Gresham's crimson jersey? Or will he get antsy and throw it too high, too hard, too low, too wobbly, or worse, right into someone else's hands.

Edge: 95% Sam Bradford, but competition is welcome.

RB: The old "Thunder and Lightning" stereotype returns for the 2008 campaign. You have a guy who can get physical and weed his way through ugly situations, almost like a fullback at times in Chris Brown, but an undoutedly All-American-caliber player in DeMarco Murray.
Neither will worry you in passing situations, unless you shriek like I do that Chris Brown doesn't wear tack gloves, but both are outstanding receivers.
Last spring, and at any given time during the fall, DeMarco Murray could take it all the way on any play. The guy is that good. But he suffered one of the most gut-wrenching injuries a player can sustain to one's knee in the loss to Texas Tech (as if there wasn't enough bad stuff that happened that night to Oklahoma). recovering from that knee injury is a huge question, and the guy who blasted off for 25 YPC last spring may not even participate this spring. Relax Sooner fans, healing is a good thing.
Behind these guys is a person not many have heard of. Unfortunate for him, he looks to be a pretty good running back who would get his share of carries anywhere else in the conference. Also a great receiver, he may end up being in the mix for an up-for-grabs kickoff and punt-returning duties in 2008. His name, Mossi Madu. We'll have to see how the true freshmen look when they arrive.

Edge: 70% DeMarco Murray, plenty of carries for Brown and whomever is OUr #3 guy. Never bad to have a lot of talent. A healthy DeMarco Murray with approximately 20 carries per game is a Heisman candidate DeMarco Murray.

WR: Such is the life of a college football coach to have to cut his losses and move on... Bob Stoops loses the Adrian Peterson of Oklahoma wideouts. With size and speed everywhere, this team needs to showcase the power of holding onto the ball. Juaquin Iglesias is a three-year starter, and just recently gave off hints against Utah State and Texas that he could catch a deep ball. Manuel Johnson hit another one of his late-season surges and looks to be the full package now, too. And what's that I hear? QUENTIN CHANEY? It took him a longer time to develop than most imagined, but it's hard to point out what he's really done wrong the last year and a half.

Also in the mix are returning-from-injury Adron Tennell, whose limited duties and weak numbers have Oklahoma fans drooling over him for some reason, same for Brandon Caleb, and a bunch of guys we know nothing about yet as true and redshirt freshmen. As long as they're not stealing gasoline in their spare time, it will be nice to see if any of these guys are going to be immediate monster contributors ala Sammy, AD, Tommie, you get the picture.

Likely three WR set: Iglesias (A-), Johnson (B+), Chaney (B+).

TE: Problem solved, right? Wrong. Without Malcom Kelly in the lineup, Jermaine Gresham will become a focal point in opposing secondary. Brody Eldridge catching passes makes most Sooner faithful about as excited as a mortician. The only other tight end we saw was Eric Mensik, and he was a special teams guy with a holding problem. However, he does have that magical #88, so we’ll see if he steps up.

Gresham is a star, but he is going to have some trouble repeating his 2007 stats, and must improve as a true tight end in blocking skills.

Offensive Line, oh boy…
You know, if this OL was here in 1999-2003, we’d have been damned awesome. However, the offense changes as the players do to a professional style that feeds off of the running game. Just as Sooner faithful were about to praise 2006 newcomer James Patton, now they want to ring his neck. He has to prove he can coach the holding, false starts and illegal formations out of them. His OL also had it’s rather chippy moments when opposing players had words with them. This unit is deep, talented and without a doubt big and strong. They need to find a way to get the most out of these future first rounders, starting with Phil Loadholt and Trent Williams. A little discipline goes a long way. Get these guys inspired and hungry for something more than a double cheeseburger and you have probably the best OL in the country. Coach Patton’s motivational skills will be tested from April to January 2009. Provided he signs, words has it Stephen Good and redshirt frosh Donald Stephenson really impress Coach Stoops and Coach Wilson.

Fullbacks… umm… do we even recruit those anymore? Black mark on the offense if they don’t get a quality fullback for 2008. Either on the recruiting trail on off the 2008 roster, we need someone to emerge. Not that it would happen, but how awesome would it be to see Auston English take a few snaps? The superstar defensive end who once starred as a running back in his high school days? Yeah, me likes that idea. Stoops isn’t high on two-way stars, though outside of ST.

Defensive preview soon to come with Lofton/Smith info…

St. Louis Sooner
1/13/2008, 12:06 PM
Truly Random Thoughts ....

I know we're talking about our team, but what about our schedule?

1) If we can't get an earlier opener: I hate opening with an opponent that is deceptive. This year it's going to be Cincinnati. They could do the 'gee,-we've-got-all-year-to-prepare-for-the-Sooners' thing (like TCU did a few years back), and they could come out smoking when we least expect it. Cincy has historically given tOSU all they can handle, and I see them preparing for us no differently.
2) Kansas State at Manhattan and Kansas at Norman. This is going to be an odd, two-game stretch for 'The Visor' to handle. Either way, I see Bob preparing tremendously for the Jayhawks and letting the Wildcats prep go. With KSU's recent record against the 'horns, we could have serious trouble in each of these games.
3) Side note: Is it just me, or did anyone else get a sly smile on their face when they found out KU plays OU, Texas, and Texas Tech this year?

In its current form, I like our schedule, but I didn't see an open date. We do the Kansas, KSU, Nebraska thingie, and we could potentially see Mizzou in the Big12 Championship again next year. There are lots of opportunities to make a statement to the pollsters & computers, but I, AS ALWAYS, am more concerned with Bob 'beating the folks he should' rather than the tough ones.

Curly Bill
1/13/2008, 03:51 PM
Do you consider changing offense or defense from a philosophical standpoint?

One can only hope. :D

StoopTroup
1/13/2008, 04:34 PM
I kind of wonder what Bob and his Staff's random thoughts are.

I guess I could throw Joe Castiglione in the mix as well.

I'm sure Bob and Joe are a Team when it comes down to deciding any major changes.

JLEW1818
1/13/2008, 04:50 PM
Why would stoops consider Sam not starting??? even with Kelly out in the fiesta bowl, he still had an above average game. he had 1 pick , but it was in the end zone?/ People say we'll we cant win the big game blah blah, Jason white got us there twice, that style of qb's are the one's who win the big game. Just like Sam. So maybe we have not win the big games in the past, but 95% of the nation has not even been in the big games. So Sammy is our guy, its up to the defense how it has been in every OU big loss, this year and last year are offense scored enough points to win every game. Let stoops take over as head defensive coordinator; It works with Pete Carroll at usc.

Salt City Sooner
1/13/2008, 06:08 PM
Truly Random Thoughts ....

I know we're talking about our team, but what about our schedule?

1) If we can't get an earlier opener: I hate opening with an opponent that is deceptive. This year it's going to be Cincinnati. They could do the 'gee,-we've-got-all-year-to-prepare-for-the-Sooners' thing (like TCU did a few years back), and they could come out smoking when we least expect it. Cincy has historically given tOSU all they can handle, and I see them preparing for us no differently.
2) Kansas State at Manhattan and Kansas at Norman. This is going to be an odd, two-game stretch for 'The Visor' to handle. Either way, I see Bob preparing tremendously for the Jayhawks and letting the Wildcats prep go. With KSU's recent record against the 'horns, we could have serious trouble in each of these games.
3) Side note: Is it just me, or did anyone else get a sly smile on their face when they found out KU plays OU, Texas, and Texas Tech this year?

In its current form, I like our schedule, but I didn't see an open date. We do the Kansas, KSU, Nebraska thingie, and we could potentially see Mizzou in the Big12 Championship again next year. There are lots of opportunities to make a statement to the pollsters & computers, but I, AS ALWAYS, am more concerned with Bob 'beating the folks he should' rather than the tough ones.
November 22, between Tech & OSU. There also could be another on September 20th, if the TBA is filled in front of the Cincy game.

tulsaoilerfan
1/13/2008, 06:21 PM
My biggest random thought is next season the offensive line actually needs to play up to their hype; they passed block pretty well most of the time, but the run blocking and all the stupid penalties made this unit the most disappointing one on the team IMO.

St. Louis Sooner
1/13/2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks Salt City. That's a very late open date, but I'll take it. Stoolwater seems such a difficult place for Bob so having two weeks to prep for them then possibly a Big12 Championship is pretty cool.