PDA

View Full Version : Does OU Move to a 2 QB Attack in 08?

PLaw
1/10/2008, 10:07 PM
I really like West Virginia's offense though, it is almost a variation of the wishbone really. You get the motion going and it becomes basically the wishbone out of the shotgun. With the speed of current players, you give the qb good vision of the field, you are able to use your physical back in situations. I really think you can do some creative and fun things out of the spread option type formation.

Gandalf makes a great observation. With Nichol and Bradford, it would be interesting if the staff toyed with the two QB attack in '08 considering the firepower.

BOOMER

madillsoonerfan5353
1/10/2008, 10:11 PM
I hope they don't, in IMHO iI think that throws the timing off between QB's and WR's!!!! I would like to see more of the "wild hog"!!!! Like they done before Murray got hurt!!

Curly Bill
1/10/2008, 10:12 PM
This would require change and imagination...

...in other words, you can forget it.

We barely played our 2nd QB during this entire season (cept when we had to against TT) so use two in the same game? pfffttt

sanantoniosooner
1/10/2008, 10:17 PM
geez......make it stop

85sooners
1/10/2008, 10:20 PM
:confused:

hink4769
1/10/2008, 10:21 PM
IMHO, the only reason this would be necessary would be to get the #2 QB ready in case Sam got hurt. I think OUr offense runs just fine with Sam at the helm, we don't need to resort to trickery and stuff to score points as long as we execute. LSU and Florida employed 2 QB systems the last couple years, but that was because they weren't going to get through their SEC schedules with only their starting QBs because they weren't superstars (Leak and Flynn).

goingoneight
1/10/2008, 10:24 PM
People act like swaping players in and out wouldn't mess with their rhythm. I don't think Sam would complete quite as many passes if he wasn't in there reading the coverages every play and settling in with the blitz packages.

The direct snap, to me is no different than a power-I formation. It's kind of a wasted down, actually. "Hey, DeMarco Murray's playing quarterback!!! I wonder what he's going to do?!? Up the middle??? AWESOME!!! How innovative!!!"

Curly Bill
1/10/2008, 10:26 PM
they weren't going to get through their SEC schedules with only their starting QBs because they weren't that good (Leak and Flynn).

They weren't that good?

...and yet each won a national championship?

Scott D
1/10/2008, 10:32 PM
IMHO, the only reason this would be necessary would be to get the #2 QB ready in case Sam got hurt. I think OUr offense runs just fine with Sam at the helm, we don't need to resort to trickery and stuff to score points as long as we execute. LSU and Florida employed 2 QB systems the last couple years, but that was because they weren't going to get through their SEC schedules with only their starting QBs because they weren't that good (Leak and Flynn).

Chris Leak was one of the most highly recruited quarterbacks in the nation his senior year of high school. I'd hardly say he wasn't that good.

hink4769
1/10/2008, 10:32 PM
They weren't that good?

...and yet each won a national championship?
Okay, they were good, but they weren't exactly superstars. My point is that many people think Florida wouldn't have won a NC without Tebow taking some snaps and LSU wouldn't have won without Perilloux (sp?) taking some snaps. Also, Leak didn't quite live up to his billing as a top high school recruit. He was good, but not great.

sanantoniosooner
1/10/2008, 10:34 PM
Okay, they were good, but they weren't exactly superstars. My point is that many people think Florida wouldn't have won a NC without Tebow taking some snaps and LSU wouldn't have won without Perilloux (sp?) taking some snaps. Also, Leak didn't quite live up to his billing as a top high school recruit. He was good, but not great.
Taking some snaps is totally different than a traditional 2 QB system.

Tebow mostly only went in on goal line situations if I remember correctly.

Curly Bill
1/10/2008, 10:35 PM

For sure on Tebow, and maybe Perilloux as well.

...and I'll give you that Leak didn't live up to his billing, though he was pretty darn good.

Scott D
1/10/2008, 10:35 PM
he was good in two offensive schemes that didn't play to his strengths. That's more than a lot of other quarterbacks can say.

tebow's amount of snaps his freshman year roughly amounted to mop up time. he threw a grand total of 33 passes all season.

yermom
1/10/2008, 10:48 PM
how many runs did he make though?

putting Tebow in wasn't that much different than running Wild Hog with Run DMC

hink4769
1/10/2008, 10:53 PM
Well anyway, Leak and Flynn were GOOD quarterbacks, I think Sam is on the fringe of being a GREAT QB, with the chance of becoming and ELITE QB by the time he leaves. Therefore, I don't think a two QB system is really necessary. As for the wildhog formation with Murray, I don't really think thats really a great idea either because it takes Sam off the field and I don't really think its a good idea to have your best offensive weapon (or one of the best offensive weapons) on the sidelines for too many plays. Not too mention it pretty much neutralizes the WRs as well. It worked well for R-Kansas though because they had the right personnel for it. Putting McFadden and Jones on the field together was a better package than Casey Dick + McFadden/Jones.

madillsoonerfan5353
1/10/2008, 11:02 PM
The direct snap, to me is no different than a power-I formation. It's kind of a wasted down, actually. "Hey, DeMarco Murray's playing quarterback!!! I wonder what he's going to do?!? Up the middle??? AWESOME!!! How innovative!!!"[/QUOTE]

I'm just saying that if you have a direct snap to a 2 RB backfield, and one being a playmaker like Murray, then the D must account for all 11 players!!!! I like seeing Bradford in on all the plays too, but he is not a runner!!!! I'm not saying that Sam isn't a playmaker either!!!! Just another wrinkle! IMO

Ban One Sooner
1/10/2008, 11:09 PM
As far as two QB attacks go, they never work. It's like the old saying goes, if you think you have two QB's, then you really don't even have one.

goingoneight
1/10/2008, 11:14 PM
How do you know that Bradford's not a runner? He only "rushed" when he absolutely had to this year. He looked a lot better than some of the "running threat" quarterbacks when he had to move, too. Not a single designated QB draw this season, not a single misdirection run... KW said they wanted him to get comfortable running the offense and not get beaten up doing so. Smart idea considering what happened to Colt McCoy in 2006. I don't even think we ran a QB sneak this year... but back to point, Sam was good running the ball when he had to in HS and this last year, so if you open up your playbook a little more when he's more comfortable, you never know.

Look at how bad Jason White and Paul Thompson looked running the ball in their later years, both were outstanding runners early on when that was a part of the playbook.

Curly Bill
1/10/2008, 11:20 PM
As far as two QB attacks go, they never work. It's like the old saying goes, if you think you have two QB's, then you really don't even have one.

Here's an old saying for ya: never say never

...because Florida did pretty well with their two QB system last year.

madillsoonerfan5353
1/10/2008, 11:27 PM
How do you know that Bradford's not a runner? He only "rushed" when he absolutely had to this year. He looked a lot better than some of the "running threat" quarterbacks when he had to move, too. Not a single designated QB draw this season, not a single misdirection run... KW said they wanted him to get comfortable running the offense and not get beaten up doing so. Smart idea considering what happened to Colt McCoy in 2006. I don't even think we ran a QB sneak this year... but back to point, Sam was good running the ball when he had to in HS and this last year, so if you open up your playbook a little more when he's more comfortable, you never know.
Look at how bad Jason White and Paul Thompson looked running the ball in their later years, both were outstanding runners early on when that was a part of the playbook.

He looks like he runs like a 5.... 40 to me!!! Paul was a QB to WR back to QB, and plus I don't like seeing Sam run, because of what happen in Lubbock!!!

sanantoniosooner
1/10/2008, 11:32 PM

Florida did NOT have a 2 QB system.

They only put Tebow in for very specific situations.

Most 2 QB systems involve alternating the players by some schedule or settling with the one that seems hot after a while.

Soonerus
1/10/2008, 11:39 PM
Florida did NOT have a 2 QB system.

They only put Tebow in for very specific situations.

Most 2 QB systems involve alternating the players by some schedule or settling with the one that seems hot after a while.

nice analysis....not...

Ban One Sooner
1/10/2008, 11:59 PM

Who alternated with Tebow this year? Tebow was the future for them, similar to Vince Young alternating with Chance Mock until he was ready to take the reins full time. If this scenario plays out, Stoops would basically be building up Nichol to take over. Stoops' history and comments from the past indicate he does not like QB rotations, even during White/Hybl years he basically went with one guy during the games until that guy got hurt and the other came in. PT would have definitely got more time than just the UCLA game during the year of the idiot if Stoops believed in the merits of playing two QB's.

Crucifax Autumn
1/11/2008, 01:39 AM
Maybe we could just be the most innovative team in history and rotate EVERYONE! The we could see Sam snap the ball to Loadholt who would pitch the ball to Inglesias who would then throw a downfield strike to Nichol!

Or we could play College Football and not resort to silliness and sandlot trickery that backfires as frequently as it goes right! All the cute systems in the world can't guarantee continual wins or any kind of consistency.

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2008, 01:43 AM
You're on to something here.

Let's use a 2 OC/DC attack.

hOlden caUlfield...
1/11/2008, 01:49 AM
I think we should use a 2 QB system with Halzle and Nimmo, bench DeMarco, and make BJW the Head Coach. Our current system is just not working.

;) ;) ;)

hink4769
1/11/2008, 02:00 AM
I think we should use a 2 QB system with Halzle and Nimmo, bench DeMarco, and make BJW the Head Coach. Our current system is just not working.

;) ;) ;)
Maybe we could shake things up by having the Pride play special teams.

Blues1
1/11/2008, 02:30 AM
We Need to Change something - What it is I can't say - I just know getting pounded in 2 blow outs in bcs bowl games and a loss's to colorado and boise state tell me something new or different needs to be Done.... JMHO...~~!

Crucifax Autumn
1/11/2008, 02:37 AM
and bring back the fumblerooskie!

Have the running back head backward while everyone chases him down and then when they all catch him at the endzone start a string of laterals for a touchdown!

KingDavid
1/11/2008, 03:17 AM

Like Baylor, perhaps?

That could be close, but I'd still give the nod to the pride as long as the drum major is healthy.

KingDavid
1/11/2008, 03:23 AM
My bet is that Nichols red-shirts, anyway, righ alongside Landry Jones. Halzle is a serviceable 2 who showed that he could wing it once he got a few throws under his belt. But damn, he SHORE LOOKED POOR for about 3 quarters, didn't he?

That's why we do need to find a way to get our #2 some more snaps. The quandry this past year is that you want to build Sam's confidence as a RS Freshman needing to gobble up as much game-time experience as possible. So it was a tough position to be in for Stoops and Heupel.

Next year, assuming we average 40 point victories in our first 4 games (which would be tough given the schedule we have), you can bet that our number 2 (whoever that is - prolly Halzle) will get more live reps to make sure he's ready to go when needed.

Crucifax Autumn
1/11/2008, 03:33 AM
I certainly hope so, though I also like seeing a guy who can finish a game like Bradford did so much this season.

I'd like to see all but 1 and 2 redshirt, but if they don't I hope one of them gets good playing time so it's not just a waste of eligibility for a few snaps early.

CtheB
1/11/2008, 06:08 AM
I hope not. The coaches, admittedly and in their own right, stated they did a bad job this year managing three running backs (after the Texas Tech game), so what do you think they would do with managing two quarterbacks?

Bad idea, Sam's the man.

oudivesherpa
1/11/2008, 08:31 AM
The more offensive sets the defense has to prepare for the harder it is for the other teams D. How much innovation do you expect from Stoops in 2008?

OUmillenium
1/11/2008, 11:32 AM
Not if superconservative Stoops(special teams calls withstanding) has anything to say about it.

Mangino would say yes, IMO.

Wilson would say yes, IMO.

Chuck Long = ?

r5TPsooner
1/11/2008, 11:43 AM
nice analysis....not...

WERD. My thoughts exactly.

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2008, 11:46 AM
WERD. My thoughts exactly.
why don't you provide a different view instead of just agreeing with the village idiot?

CatfishSooner
1/11/2008, 12:14 PM
why don't you provide a different view instead of just agreeing with the village idiot?

not very nice callin names...

LittleWingSooner
1/11/2008, 12:27 PM
We have one of the 5 best QBs to ever play the position at OU. Enjoy him because after he's gone we'll have a tough time replacing him. We don't need 2 QBs. We have 1 who can do it all nicely.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/11/2008, 12:35 PM
Who alternated with Tebow this year? Tebow was the future for them, similar to Vince Young alternating with Chance Mock until he was ready to take the reins full time.

Urban Meyer has already said he s going back to a 2 QB rotation next season with Tebow and either Newton or Brantley

SoonerLB
1/11/2008, 12:36 PM
People act like swaping players in and out wouldn't mess with their rhythm. I don't think Sam would complete quite as many passes if he wasn't in there reading the coverages every play and settling in with the blitz packages."

Hmmmm.............he was reading coverages? Seemed to me he spent most of his time staring at the sideline waiting on someone to give him a play call. ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
1/11/2008, 12:39 PM
I don't see the big deal with Nichol getting a few snaps in the middle of games but Bradford/Nichol is unlike Leak/Tebow or Flynn/Perriwho..Nichol can run but he 's not a Tebow-RP type quarterback..

JohnnyMack
1/11/2008, 12:39 PM
I would settle for a team that showed up to play every week.

Soonersince57
1/11/2008, 01:16 PM

That would be a Thriller :rolleyes:

stoopified
1/11/2008, 01:37 PM
NO!NO!NO!

LittleWingSooner
1/11/2008, 01:40 PM
Nichol isn't a much better runner than Sam is really.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/11/2008, 01:56 PM
I think the notion that we go to some sort of 2 QB system last year is a bit of an overreation. As a whole we had no problem scoring points this year and our QB led the nation in pass efficeincy and set a freshman TD record.

I would like to see however a few run plays worked into the offensive gameplan without concern that should Sam go down that we don't have solid back-up options. Not at much as we did with Jason White, pre knee injuries but enough to keep opposing defenses honest. Basically a very minor tweak not a big one. Sam won't be confused with Jamelle Holloway or Thomas Lott any time soon but he is far from a statue.

Scott D
1/11/2008, 01:59 PM
how many runs did he make though?

putting Tebow in wasn't that much different than running Wild Hog with Run DMC

89 carries. 122 plays (including the bowl game) still breaks down to less than 10 touches per game. Still not exactly 'splitting time'.

JLEW1818
1/11/2008, 03:19 PM
If sam does not pull a Colt Mccoy, we have the best qb in the pocket!

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2008, 03:39 PM
89 carries. 122 plays (including the bowl game) still breaks down to less than 10 touches per game. Still not exactly 'splitting time'.
this was my point.

OKC-SLC
1/11/2008, 04:00 PM
Having a 2-QB system will only cause our O-line to false start more often.

And having a 2-QB system will not improve our defense's ability to execute their assignments, tackle, and not late hit out of bounds.

I'm ok with the QB who led the nation in pass efficiency and set the NCAA record for TDs by a freshman. I don't think any of our problems stem from the QB position.

Lott's Bandana
1/11/2008, 04:01 PM
...copy Florida?!

We don't do that!

<scratching head through visor hole>

JLEW1818
1/11/2008, 04:07 PM
Shoot are offense scored enough points in every game ... TO WIN EVERY GAME!!!!!!!!.

Dan Thompson
1/11/2008, 04:47 PM
Have both playing on special downs.

hink4769
1/11/2008, 05:04 PM
I'm ok with the QB who led the nation in pass efficiency and set the NCAA record for TDs by a freshman. I don't think any of our problems stem from the QB position.
Good point. We have bigger problems!

cvsooner
1/11/2008, 07:38 PM
The only way I'd put Nichol in on the same play with Bradford is to "convert" him to a running back or receiver who might have the option of throwing the ball. Otherwise...no.

soonerhubs
1/11/2008, 08:20 PM
We have one of the 5 best QBs to ever play the position at OU. Enjoy him because after he's gone we'll have a tough time replacing him. We don't need 2 QBs. We have 1 who can do it all nicely.
Best Nick Zeppelin post I've seen in a long time.

effay
1/11/2008, 08:48 PM
I hope they don't, in IMHO iI think that throws the timing off between QB's and WR's!!!! I would like to see more of the "wild hog"!!!! Like they done before Murray got hurt!!

Bradford leads the league in passing efficiency!!! Why would we want to take him off the field? Of all the things to change for next season, I would never have imagined someone proposing this.

Wild hog with Murray?!?! Are you kidding? Our version of the wild hog has been one of the most futile attempts at imaginative offensive play calling I've ever seen. It's been a total disaster. One of the reasons that it works at Arkansas is that DMC is actually semi-decent at throwing the ball once in a while. Murray has never thrown it and I don't even think he has handed the ball of yet in that formation. I hate our wild hog.

silverwheels
1/11/2008, 11:35 PM

They did pretty well because of their defense. They lost 9 starters and there was a big drop off this year. Same thing will happen with LSU next year.

LittleWingSooner
1/11/2008, 11:46 PM
Also the 2 QBs for Florida is way overhyped. They had 1 QB and a QB for short yardage packages. Tebow took about 120 snaps give or take a couple which is not even 10 plays a game.

Curly Bill
1/11/2008, 11:56 PM
They did pretty well because of their defense. They lost 9 starters and there was a big drop off this year. Same thing will happen with LSU next year.

Yeah Leak and Tebow were mere afterthoughts in Florida's title run. :rolleyes:

silverwheels
1/12/2008, 12:02 AM
Yeah Leak and Tebow were mere afterthoughts in Florida's title run. :rolleyes:

I didn't say that, but to imply that they won the national title because they used 2 QB's is stupid. Their defense was the main factor last year.

As for OU moving to a 2-QB attack next year...I definitely hope not. We don't have a guy that can either run over defenses or run around them.

Curly Bill
1/12/2008, 12:16 AM
I didn't say that, but to imply that they won the national title because they used 2 QB's is stupid. Their defense was the main factor last year.

I didn't imply they won the title because they used two QB's. I only brought up their two QB system because someone said you could never win with one, well that's kinda wrong huh?

I don't want OU to go to a two QB system next year either. Besides, that would be change and we don't much go for that at OU right now.

Curly Bill
1/12/2008, 12:17 AM
I'd be much more in favor of a two defensive coordinator move. :D

LittleWingSooner
1/12/2008, 01:46 AM
I didn't imply they won the title because they used two QB's. I only brought up their two QB system because someone said you could never win with one, well that's kinda wrong huh?

I don't want OU to go to a two QB system next year either. Besides, that would be change and we don't much go for that at OU right now.

Florida used 1 QB 90% of the time and used a QB in short yardage spots the rest of the time. So a 2 QB system where one QB is getting 90% of the snaps will work.

Echoes
1/12/2008, 02:30 AM
Guys, if you think a 2qb system will ever happen your dreaming the biggest dream I have seen on here in awhile. A 2QB system? Are you serious? We can not even run more then 5 different plays in an entire football game. You think we are going to throw in a 2QB system? Good luck.

sanantoniosooner
1/12/2008, 08:16 PM
It's good to see that the dumbest thread in the history of SF.com is still kicking.

Crucifax Autumn
1/12/2008, 10:03 PM
Here's my idea of a good 2 QB system: One guy is the starter and some other guy is the backup...that's 2 QBs and a system.

oudivesherpa
1/15/2008, 05:20 PM

Not so fast there. Florida had a 2 QB system in 2006 and they won the BCS NC game. The advantage, is making the other team prepare for a 2 QB system, not the 2 QB system itself.

But nothing to worry about--as long as Stoops is the head coach OU will never use a 2 QB system.

sanantoniosooner
1/15/2008, 05:33 PM
Not so fast there. Florida had a 2 QB system in 2006 and they won the BCS NC game. The advantage, is making the other team prepare for a 2 QB system, not the 2 QB system itself.

But nothing to worry about--as long as Stoops is the head coach OU will never use a 2 QB system.
We've already discussed this point.

Florida isn't a good example. Try again.

oudivesherpa
1/16/2008, 02:21 PM
We've already discussed this point.

Florida isn't a good example. Try again.

The point is not the example, the point is having to prepare for a two quarterback system.

Curly Bill
1/16/2008, 03:05 PM

Florida is a great example, as I've previously said. I don't know why some think unless the backup plays almost as much as the starter then you don't have a 2 QB system. Fact is Tebow came in for Florida on short yardage situations, and those who are familiar with football know that short yardage situations are very huge to the success of your football team.

Maybe someone more enlightened them me will tell us the percent of plays the 2nd QB must get to have a 2 QB system?

sanantoniosooner
1/16/2008, 09:44 PM
Dear Curly Bill,

You are wrong.

Sincerely,

sanantoniosooner