PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassed the Big 12???

boomrsoonr
1/10/2008, 05:26 PM
I've been reading a lot of the MSN message boards and can't believe the crap they're saying. How OU embarrassed the Big 12 and how OU's loss gives the impression that the Big 12 is weak and can't compete with the SEC and PAC-10.

Ridiculous! If any team in the Big 12 is embarrassed, I suggest they look at themselves since they can't beat OU or win the conference championship.

On the other hand, it's kind of funny to see wHorns, Tiggers, Beefaloes, and Shuckers living vicariously thru OU's wins or defeats since their teams can't compete with us.

Widescreen
1/10/2008, 05:49 PM
No offense, but they have a good argument. After our last 4 BCS trips, and in particular the last 3, we certainly haven't done the Big 12 any favors in terms of perception.

Collier11
1/10/2008, 05:49 PM
bleh! Who cares...

hink4769
1/10/2008, 05:51 PM
The rest of the big 12 has no right to complain because they're the ones we beat in order to get to the BCS.

usmc-sooner
1/10/2008, 05:55 PM
our bowl performance is embarrassing but the Oklahoma Sooners and the Texas Longhorns have carried the B12 for 7 years. More so OU than Texas but outside of those 2 programs nobody is doing much for the B12 consistently.

Collier11
1/10/2008, 05:58 PM
The thing OU needs to do is realize that while 6 BCS apearances out of 8 years is an accomplishment in itself, we need to start winning those if we want the so called critics to Count OU as one of the top 2 or 3 programs in America again!

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/10/2008, 05:59 PM
Thats not true. Several teams are doing things consistently...Texas Tech consistently passes, Baylor and Iowa State consistently loose and Oklahoma State consistently whines.

usmc-sooner
1/10/2008, 06:28 PM
Thats not true. Several teams are doing things consistently...Texas Tech consistently passes, Baylor and Iowa State consistently loose and Oklahoma State consistently whines.

OSU consistently looks to the next year.

Sooner_Bob
1/10/2008, 06:29 PM
Why do people put so much stock in bowl games?

Put it in the entire OOC schedule or chill out about it.

Harry Beanbag
1/10/2008, 06:33 PM
The Big 12 was 2-1 in bowl games against the SEC and Pac-10.

hink4769
1/10/2008, 06:38 PM
Put it in the entire OOC schedule or chill out about it.
Yeah I think Okie Light embarrassed the conference more by losing to Troy.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/10/2008, 06:45 PM
Bah!

All those other conferences are just frustrated over having to figure out who gets the remaining 6 slots in the Top 10 since the Big XII took four of 'em.

XingTheRubicon
1/10/2008, 07:01 PM
Only 3 BCS schools had to break out new paint for their pressbox in each of the past 2 years.

OU, tOSU, USC.

zeke
1/10/2008, 07:24 PM
:pop:

goingoneight
1/10/2008, 10:12 PM
The AFC succs teh donkey ballz, but you don't see people talking **** about New England or Indy, do you?

OUr bowl problem is OUr problem, and OUrs only. The rest of the wannabes need to remember that we are the BIG 12 Champions, therefore better than them, therefore they should worry about going .500 and losing to seven-loss K-State teams on their home field.

goingoneight
1/10/2008, 10:15 PM
Yeah I think Okie Light embarrassed the conference more by losing to Troy.

Umm... that's the least of their worries.

6-6, Mother of Children, bedowngrading, 40-year old man, always wantin' to puke, orange, adding several thousand new seats when they can't fill the stadium they have, I could go on...

CtheB
1/11/2008, 06:12 AM
Embarrassment? It's simple.

This is like the ugly chick making fun of the supermodel when she trips on the runway. Sure, it's fun to watch, but in reality, it gets none of them any closer to the runway, or supermodel status....because one is still the ugly chick, and one is a supermodel.

Personally, the most embarrassing thing any Big 12 team did this year was the impromptu dance-off to "Crank Dat Soulja Boy" between Texas and Central Florida. Ghey.

Vaevictis
1/11/2008, 06:55 AM
Dear Big 12 Teams,

If you're tired of us "embarrassing" you in the bowl season, you can fix that by beating us more often in the regular season.

Jacie
1/11/2008, 07:04 AM
Dear Big 12 Teams,

If you're tired of us "embarrassing" you in the bowl season, you can fix that by beating us more often in the regular season.

Please, please, please go register on whornfans.com and post this! You'll get baned, of course, but not before a few of em see it and I take it on faith taht because whornfans.com even exists then it is proof some of em can read!

BIG_IKE
1/11/2008, 09:20 AM
No Big 12 team can complain, but seriously...no one cares about OSU losing to Troy because...well no one really cares about OSU. I think that if we were SUPPOSED to lose to certains teams (boise,WVU) this would not be a big deal.
Had Texas lost to ASU or had A&M got blown out like they did last we we would be saying THEY embarrassed the conference.

The bottom line is, how the conference as a whole does on a national stage is how the rest of the country perceives us and it effects the way the polls set us and respect our conference. Had we won, the big 12 would have been less than 20 points from being 8-0 in Bowls.

The fact that we had 4 teams finish in the Top 10 says alot anyway! So yeah, people are a little bent out of shape because we lost and no one expected us to, but hey it happens. Thats why the games are played. But like aprevious poster said OU and Texas have been carrying this conference. Welcome to the party KU and MU. I'd still take the top 5 Big 12 teams vs. the Top 5 in any other conference any day.

The_Red_Patriot
1/11/2008, 10:04 AM
I can see where they are coming from.

We were the only big 12 team to get our asses handed to us out of the 3 losses coming from big 12. CU and A&M only lost by a touchdown.

GrapevineSooner
1/11/2008, 10:37 AM
Expectations become loftier with success.

That's just how it goes.

MamaMia
1/11/2008, 10:41 AM
OU has been embarrassing the Big XII 3 months out of the year for decades now.

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2008, 10:42 AM
If you win a bowl game, and nobody sees it........

did it happen?

MamaMia
1/11/2008, 11:04 AM
If you win a bowl game, and nobody sees it........

did it happen?
That question brings up a good point due to the fact that the OSU/whomever bowl game was not even aired in Tempe. What kind of a bowl game cant even get air time in the town its taking place? :confused:

usmc-sooner
1/11/2008, 11:07 AM
I've got a OSU buddy who is already started talking about the future again, although this time it's not next year, he's pointing towards 2009. Oh he thinks they'll be good (8-4) next year but 2009 they're going to win the B12 and go to a BCS game.

NYC Poke
1/11/2008, 11:43 AM
I've got a OSU buddy who is already started talking about the future again, although this time it's not next year, he's pointing towards 2009. Oh he thinks they'll be good (8-4) next year but 2009 they're going to win the B12 and go to a BCS game.

I can see us going 8-4 next year, but winning the Big XII will always be a challenge. Your buddy is probably looking at all the young talent that we have, but ignoring the other young talent around the league (like at OU). I'm all for high hopes, but inflated expecations inevitibly lead to major disappointment.

usmc-sooner
1/11/2008, 12:26 PM
I can see us going 8-4 next year, but winning the Big XII will always be a challenge. Your buddy is probably looking at all the young talent that we have, but ignoring the other young talent around the league (like at OU). I'm all for high hopes, but inflated expecations inevitibly lead to major disappointment.

well earlier this year he had completely jumped off the band wagon, I think he called for Gundy's head. Now he's back on the wagon and oh I don't know it's just weird.

CatfishSooner
1/11/2008, 12:34 PM

Wow...you're not completley delusion like the rest of your brethren...

NYC Poke
1/11/2008, 12:39 PM
well earlier this year he had completely jumped off the band wagon, I think he called for Gundy's head. Now he's back on the wagon and oh I don't know it's just weird.

I'm not sure where the recent sense of entitlement comes from. Stadium upgrades do not a program make. I'd be happy to compete for Big XII titles, but that does not mean I expect to see us in the CCG every year or even regularly. The Big XII South will always be competitive, and we do not have the tradtion or resources of OU, UT or A&M. If we get to the point where our game with OU is significant and meaningful, it would be a lot more fun.

Collier11
1/11/2008, 12:58 PM
If we get to the point where our game with OU is significant and meaningful, it would be a lot more fun.

It is significant and meaningful, for you guys! :D

NYC Poke
1/11/2008, 01:09 PM
It is significant and meaningful, for you guys! :D

Ha, yes, I would like for there to be some symmetry there. It's unseemly for fans to walk around in shirts with scores from games played 10 years ago.

Collier11
1/11/2008, 01:11 PM
Ha, yes, I would like for there to be some symmetry there. It's unseemly for fans to walk around in shirts with scores from games played 10 years ago.

which is funny cus Osu fans constantly tell Ou fans not to live in the past when we bring up 78-17 or whatever it is, yet they still wear those shirts and brag about 3 out of 5 or whatever with miles and simmons :)

NYC Poke
1/11/2008, 01:20 PM
which is funny cus Osu fans constantly tell Ou fans not to live in the past when we bring up 78-17 or whatever it is, yet they still wear those shirts and brag about 3 out of 5 or whatever with miles and simmons :)

A drowning man will grab even the point of a sword.

Collier11
1/11/2008, 01:58 PM
A drowning man will grab even the point of a sword.

I have a few friends that went to okie st that are reasonable but I really never thought I would find another one...:D :D :D :D

NYC Poke
1/11/2008, 02:42 PM
I have a few friends that went to okie st that are reasonable but I really never thought I would find another one...:D :D :D :D

I love my alma mater and was so fond of my time there that it took me about 10 years to get my undergrad. :D

I also love college football. I love watching, I love reading about it, I love debating it, and I love talking smack about it with my friends. But smack is really only effective after you're earned the right. I'll talk smack where I can, and try to keep my mouth shut where I can't.

I'm excited about the direction of our program, but I know where we stand historically and the obstacles we face. I don't expect us to become a power overnight just because we've had a couple of relatively good recruiting seasons and Boone gave us a little money.

Collier11
1/11/2008, 02:46 PM
I love my alma mater and was so fond of my time there that it took me about 10 years to get my undergrad. :D

I also love college football. I love watching, I love reading about it, I love debating it, and I love talking smack about it with my friends. But smack is really only effective after you're earned the right. I'll talk smack where I can, and try to keep my mouth shut where I can't.

I'm excited about the direction of our program, but I know where we stand historically and the obstacles we face. I don't expect us to become a power overnight just because we've had a couple of relatively good recruiting seasons and Boone gave us a little money.

I second all of that except the 10 years, it only took me 6.5...:D

Let me ask you then, It is my opinion that Gundy is the right guy to take the team in the right direction but I personally dont think he is THE GUY to get the over the hump to a consistent 8-10 win team that competes for Big 12 titles. what is your POV on Gundy?

Also, do you think OSU could ever get a coach that could accomplish that and actually stay at osu for the long run if it isnt Gundy?

NYC Poke
1/12/2008, 06:42 AM
I second all of that except the 10 years, it only took me 6.5...:D

Let me ask you then, It is my opinion that Gundy is the right guy to take the team in the right direction but I personally dont think he is THE GUY to get the over the hump to a consistent 8-10 win team that competes for Big 12 titles. what is your POV on Gundy?

Also, do you think OSU could ever get a coach that could accomplish that and actually stay at osu for the long run if it isnt Gundy?

Sorry for the delayed response -- I actually got busy at work on a Friday afternoon. :mad:

I think Gundy can get us to be a regular 8-win team -- we were dang close to being one this year in the regular season. He's shown he's capable of putting together potent offenses both as an OC and HC. Our defensive meltdowns have been caused, in my opinion, by lack of quality depth, something that is supposedly being addressed. He's been recruiting well and seems to be able to attract quality assistants. The jury's still out on Gundy, though.

Any expectation of us being a 10-win team year-in, year-out is just unrealistic in the Big XII South. We just don't have the resources for it. OU, UT, and A&M are going to be loaded with talent every year, and TT will be tough as long as Leach decides to stay in Lubbock.

I'm sure a lot of people will dismiss this as "aggie mentality," but it's just recognizing facts for what they are. I'd rather have 8 wins a year with someone who has institutional loyalty like Gundy than become a stepping- stone school. June Jones just signed a contract to coach a Conference USA school for more than twice what we're paying Gundy.

Stability at the top tends to reward programs. Impatience leads to ***************s, Blakes, and Callahans. And a school like OSU takes a lot longer to recover from these kinds of experiments than an OU or Nebraska (they'll be back). I'd be happy with the occasional 10-win season and a shot or two at a Big XII title. I'd rather have that than a couple of wins over OU and an Alamo Bowl followed by a departure and worries about sanctions.

The only thing that's bothered me about the Gundy era is the whole Collins thing. Whatever mitigating factors there may have been, that was a black eye waiting to happen and we got it. I hope Gundy has learned something from this, and I hope he's gained the strength from it to give some push-back to some of our more strident supporters who seem to expect immediate success.

Crimsontothecore
1/12/2008, 07:46 AM
What osu doesn't realize is that winning 8-10 games a year is easier to do once than it is to sustain. Like it or not, opponents play you harder if you are perceived as "Good". One-year wonders come along every season but only a few programs sustain double-digit wins over time. The big difference I see between Miles and Gundy is that Gundy hasn't really won games he shouldn't..unless you consider beating the worst team in Nebraska history an upset. Getting hammered by Georgia after a summer full of big talk didn't help and losing to someone like Troy is downright embarrassing. I see Gundy as a consistent "We barely got to a bowl" type of coach.

NYC Poke
1/12/2008, 12:53 PM
What osu doesn't realize is that winning 8-10 games a year is easier to do once than it is to sustain. Like it or not, opponents play you harder if you are perceived as "Good". One-year wonders come along every season but only a few programs sustain double-digit wins over time.

I partly agree with this. With the expanded season, however, and 8-win team isn't exactly the type other teams will gun for. 8 wins means winning our non-conference games and going .500 in the Big XII. That's basically TT, and the only team that really gets fired up for them is A&M.

The big difference I see between Miles and Gundy is that Gundy hasn't really won games he shouldn't..unless you consider beating the worst team in Nebraska history an upset. Getting hammered by Georgia after a summer full of big talk didn't help and losing to someone like Troy is downright embarrassing. I see Gundy as a consistent "We barely got to a bowl" type of coach.

Like I said, the jury's still out on Gundy, and I'd like to see some signature wins, and I'll agree that Nebraska was not one. But I'll take that one any way we can get it -- we hadn't won in Nebraska in 41 freaking years!*

As for the overselling before the season, I'll agree that it was a bit much and it probably raised our fans' expectations too high. But that's just PR stuff. At least they didn't saddle us with something really, really bad like the K-State Power Towel.

*In other words, in Gundy's lifetime

OK2LA
1/12/2008, 01:43 PM
Would these same people consider Ohio State an embarassment to the Big 10?

Our programs have mirrored each other the last several years. They came out of no where to beat a heavily favored Miami team - then got the big game 2 years in a row, and lost pretty handily. (one blow-out, and another game where they were competitive, but ended up getting beaten by a large margin of points.

Us - 2000 - we beat FSU that was heavily favored - then make it back two years in a row by getting "whipped" (ask any lsu/tx fan) by LSU and then getting dominated by USC.

I've asked myself this question many times -

Would I rather we go to the Holiday (or similar) bowl, and us win.

OR

Would I rather us go to the BCS Championship Game or a BCS Bowl . . . and lose.

It's a tough question to answer - for me atleast.

Of course I'd much rather win - win our last game - progress. But if I had the choice - I'd rather have a chance to win that big game than to never make it there at all. (easy to say when we've been there many times, and lost more than we've won)

goingoneight
1/12/2008, 03:17 PM
The only point I try to make with the delusional OSU types is that winning at Stoops and Brown's level is NOT easy... whereas many think a little more Boone cash will do the trick.

OU, Nebraska and Texas aren't the only teams that stand in the way of BIG 12 Championships and BCS wins. If they think WE got embarassed by Boise State and West Virginia (both great teams), their current team would have been lucky to keep both of those games within 50 gievn all the crap both of these OU teams experienced just to get there.

If you beat OU and Texas, take a division title, how do you think Missouri or whomever wins the North will approach you? Do you think you can beat teams like USC, LSU, or even Florida State when they were good? BCS is a MUCH different animal than Sam Houston State, Texas Tech and whomever they're beating now. It's not easy, and there's only two ways to go... win or lose. Most of the time, the random BCS matchups end lopsided, and always have.

Think about what top programs like OU, Ohio State and Florida saw in this post-season. Remember when Mack Brown was ridiculed for not being able to come within double digits of beating OU for five years? All he did was win two BCS games, a BIG 12 and National Title to follow up that embarassing streak. Top programs get the love they do because they win consistently despite whatever pressure is on them, despite whatever "hostile environments" or adversity they face, and eventually break these streaks. When you find a way to choke a sure victory away against Texas for over a decade straight, you appreciate what it takes for teams like OU and USC to be able to compete with them at the game's highest level. When you see "greatest team ever," 40-point favorite or "dynasty" attached to someone's name, you respect seeing teams like OU going into their home territory and shutting them out ala the 2001 Orange Bowl.

OU_Sooners75
1/12/2008, 04:11 PM
I don't think we embarrassed the Big 12. I think we embarrassed ourselves. Why play great football all season only to play like we never seen a football in our lives in the bowl game?

rubyspirit
1/12/2008, 11:49 PM
It was embarrassing ...

Crucifax Autumn
1/13/2008, 01:14 AM
It sucked, but with the results of the other Big 12 Bowl games I don't think the conference was embarrassed.

pott_2
1/13/2008, 01:30 AM
I for one think it is a great thing to have a team that is competitive enough to make it to any BCS game, win or lose. It does seem to be losses lately but is sure as hell better than the 90's.

Crucifax Autumn
1/13/2008, 01:43 AM
I love our team! And we all keep referring to how much better it is now than the 90's but what about the 80's? I'd be welling to bet that our record is better from 2000-2007 than it was from 80-87. If it's not better it's equal.

OU_Sooners75
1/13/2008, 08:30 AM
I for one think it is a great thing to have a team that is competitive enough to make it to any BCS game, win or lose. It does seem to be losses lately but is sure as hell better than the 90's.

Nice cop out.

Though the 90s were disasterous, that should not what we should be happy to compare things with. In fact, the 90s, was not the worst decade for OU football since the inception of football for OU.

Please, do not sit there and be happy because it was better than the 1990s. if you do, then you are not expecting more than whorn fan!

OU_Sooners75
1/13/2008, 08:49 AM
I love our team! And we all keep referring to how much better it is now than the 90's but what about the 80's? I'd be welling to bet that our record is better from 2000-2007 than it was from 80-87. If it's not better it's equal.

Hell lets go back to the 1920s shall we?
2000-2007...90-17-0 (0.84112)

1990-1997...49-40-3 (0.54891)

1980-1987...75-19-2 (0.79167)

1970-1977...80-11-3 (0.86702)

1960-1967...49-32-2 (0.60421)

1950-1957...76-6-2 (0.91667)

1940-1947...48-26-4 (0.64103)

1930-1937...33-30-11 0.52027)

1920-1927...30-24-9 (0.54762)

So far since 2000, it is the third best start to a decade in OU history.
Source = http://www.sportslinknetwork.com/cfbtrivia/teamrecord.php

St. Louis Sooner
1/13/2008, 12:23 PM
After we lost to TTech, I was convinced we had one more loss in us. We hadn't been playing well all season (except against the teams that laid down for us - NTSU, Utah St., Miami, even Texas), and The Troops & coaches just hadn't shown any progress (gawd, we barely beat Iowa State). We had young, talented individuals on the field, but we lacked that on-the-field-leadership/experience evident to truly great teams.

Knowing now that we lost four D-starters, and we were without our best RB, for the Fiesta, I am in no way embarrassed. But, when you throw in the 20-point loss thingie ... I've just learned to keep my mouth shut. Bob's resume is frought with wide-margin losses (even at Florida as DC there), so I have learned to be humble at the appropriate times ... like from now until Texas of October 2008.

MyT Oklahoma
1/13/2008, 01:15 PM
If anyone in the Big 12 thinks the Sooners embarassed the Conference in the Fiesta Bowl they may kindly send back their 1/12 BCS check or just STFU.

P.S. What OU fans think of our performance though is a whole different matter. Those who need to vent should vent and try to get it out of their systems. I for one appreciate constructive feedback because it does provide food for thought and discussion.

Crucifax Autumn
1/14/2008, 02:34 AM
Hell lets go back to the 1920s shall we?
2000-2007...90-17-0 (0.84112)

1990-1997...49-40-3 (0.54891)

1980-1987...75-19-2 (0.79167)

1970-1977...80-11-3 (0.86702)

1960-1967...49-32-2 (0.60421)

1950-1957...76-6-2 (0.91667)

1940-1947...48-26-4 (0.64103)

1930-1937...33-30-11 0.52027)

1920-1927...30-24-9 (0.54762)

So far since 2000, it is the third best start to a decade in OU history.
Source = http://www.sportslinknetwork.com/cfb...teamrecord.php

Much as I suspected...We're having a fantastic decade and I think that percentage will be going up. May not get to the second best decade, but it will certainly be close if we manage to lose only one game or none the next 2 seasons.

And either way, we have nothing to complain about compared to anyone except maybe SUC or LSU.

pott_2
1/14/2008, 05:29 AM
After next year.... 103-17-0 =0.858
I hope.....

MiccoMacey
1/14/2008, 10:50 AM
After next year.... 103-17-0 =0.858
I hope.....
I hope we'll be 104-17-0 = .8595

I hope we play in fourteen games next year, not just 13.
;)

stoops the eternal pimp
1/14/2008, 06:16 PM
embarass the conference? The money OU earns for making the big bowl games it has made pays most of the conference coaches their salaries