PDA

View Full Version : Kelly going pro

BrockLanders
1/10/2008, 05:08 PM
Probably not much of a surprise but here's the extremely short and to the point Tulsa World article.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080110_2__Oklah14012

Whet
1/10/2008, 05:18 PM
Another story from SoonerSports.com (http://soonersports.com/genrel/070207aab.html)

Collier11
1/10/2008, 05:24 PM
Good for him...he gave us 3 really good seasons and I hope he makes alot of money!

toast
1/10/2008, 05:30 PM
Best of luck to MK, I hope the Cowboys are able to get him in the first round.

soonerlaw
1/10/2008, 05:34 PM
Its going to be a pretty good pool of WR, especially with Manningham and Arrington from Mich coming out. He is still better than all of them, though. I just wish I could have seen him play in a bowl game... oh well, I will still get to see him play on Sundays. Best of luck to him.

Collier11
1/10/2008, 05:36 PM
He will be drafted ahead of both of those guys

KingDavid
1/10/2008, 05:36 PM
Go get 'em Malcolm!

soonerlaw
1/10/2008, 05:40 PM
Here's an early list I saw... Percy Harvin is a WR and entering the draft, right? Don't know where he fits in on this list... and DJackson hasn't declared yet, as far as I know.. so MK could be 1st or 2nd WR taken. That is great.

1. Early Doucet, WR LSU
2. *DeSean Jackson, Cal
3. *Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma
4. *Mario Manningham, Michigan
5. Adarius Bowman, Oklahoma State
6. Limas Sweed, Texas
7. Andre Caldwell, Florida
8. *Earl Bennett, Vanderbilt
9. *James Hardy, Indiana
10. Harry Douglas, Louisville

Collier11
1/10/2008, 05:41 PM
Here's an early list I saw... Percy Harvin is a WR and entering the draft, right? Don't know where he fits in on this list... and DJackson hasn't declared yet, as far as I know.

1. Early Doucet, WR LSU
2. *DeSean Jackson, Cal
3. *Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma
4. *Mario Manningham, Michigan
5. Adarius Bowman, Oklahoma State
6. Limas Sweed, Texas
7. Andre Caldwell, Florida
8. *Earl Bennett, Vanderbilt
9. *James Hardy, Indiana
10. Harry Douglas, Louisville

IMO Jackson will be #1 WR due to his Return abilities, Doucet and Kelly should be the next two taken

silverwheels
1/10/2008, 05:42 PM
Here's an early list I saw... Percy Harvin is a WR and entering the draft, right? Don't know where he fits in on this list... and DJackson hasn't declared yet, as far as I know.. so MK could be 1st or 2nd WR taken. That is great.

Harvin can't declare; he was a sophomore in 2007.

MextheBulldog
1/10/2008, 05:47 PM
Good luck MK. Will never forget that absolutely dominant performance in the 06' Big12 title game.

Widescreen
1/10/2008, 05:48 PM
No surprise. His dad's comments over the last month have all been pro-NFL.

soonerlaw
Harvin can't declare; he was a sophomore in 2007.

You're right. it was Harvey I was thinking of, not Harvin.

SouthCarolinaSooner
Best of luck to you MK...does this mean we have a better chance of getting Julio Jones?

sooner518
1/10/2008, 05:59 PM
does this bode well for Reggie and Lofton coming back next year since they aren't mentioned? I know there's still another week or so before they have to make the decision, but I hope that's the only name we hear of going pro

stoops the eternal pimp
1/10/2008, 06:02 PM
IMO Jackson will be #1 WR due to his Return abilities, Doucet and Kelly should be the next two taken

I seriously doubt Jackson will go number 1. Undersized(He ll measure out at 5'11) underweight(166) and not a good run blocker like Mark Clayton( who also was/is a lot stronger than Jackson). I think Limus and Malcolm will compete for the top spot.

Scott D
1/10/2008, 06:05 PM
I seriously doubt Jackson will go number 1. Undersized(He ll measure out at 5'11) underweight(166) and not a good run blocker like Mark Clayton( who also was/is a lot stronger than Jackson). I think Limus and Malcolm will compete for the top spot.

don't sleep on James Hardy or Mario Manningham bud.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/10/2008, 06:08 PM

Oh yeah Hardy..6'7 beast..Manningham is really good but I think the teams looking in the 1st are wanting bigger targets..Manningham will need about 15 or so more pounds I think to get up with the big boys

BoulderSooner79
1/10/2008, 06:09 PM
does this bode well for Reggie and Lofton coming back next year since they aren't mentioned? I know there's still another week or so before they have to make the decision, but I hope that's the only name we hear of going pro

I suspect it doesn't mean anything. The deadline is 1/15 and some players are probably waiting to see who else declares at their position if they are undecided. Kelly had to know he would be a top guy regardless of who else goes early. Duke is the one I think most likely as I've read a couple of places he might be the #1 OG to go if he declares.

BoulderSooner79
1/10/2008, 06:11 PM

I haven't seen Hardy play, but Manningham is a much better open field runner than MK

85sooners
1/10/2008, 06:21 PM
:twinkies:

Civicus_Sooner
1/10/2008, 06:27 PM
Good Luck MK! Thanks for the Memories and Big XII Championships!!!

SoonerBOI
1/10/2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks MK! As for us, time to move on and welcome our highly touted recruits!

Scott D
1/10/2008, 07:18 PM
I haven't seen Hardy play, but Manningham is a much better open field runner than MK

Hardy has size and ability to make separation moves. I'd give Kelly the edge on flat out speed between the two. But Hardy's strengths have been Kelly's weaknesses in his 3 years at Oklahoma.

zeke
1/10/2008, 07:23 PM
Good Luck
We will be rooting for you MK

madillsoonerfan5353
1/10/2008, 07:51 PM
:pop:

SoonerStormchaser
1/10/2008, 08:08 PM
I think this was a stupid idea...but then again, what do I know? He'll make more money than me anyways.

devOUt
1/10/2008, 08:09 PM
Malcolm is ready. Good luck to him.

BoulderSooner79
1/10/2008, 09:39 PM
I loved the way Kelly credits OU for his success - this won't hurt recruiting !

"OU and the coaches there gave me the best opportunity to reach the pro level," Kelly said. "Going to OU was really the thing that put me in the position to be able to make this decision."

OU_Sooners75
1/10/2008, 09:45 PM
Good Luck MK. Now let's hope Julio Jones comes to OU.

PLaw
1/10/2008, 09:56 PM
Here's hoping for the best for Malcolm - a really good kid and another great early draft entry for OU to join the like of Tommy Harris, Jimmy Wilkerson, Adrian Peterson, and many others.

Very classy statements by Coach Stoops and Malcolm. This OU staff does a great job developing players for the next level and coaches for greater responsibilities.

BOOMER

Jimminy Crimson
1/10/2008, 10:17 PM
Will never forget that absolutely dominant performance in the 06' Big12 title game.

Or his victory rap from afterwards! :cool:

...Sippin' codeine 'cause I got a killa' cough...

freshchris05
1/10/2008, 10:25 PM
no more of this??

http://youtube.com/watch?v=G9RiitZEHxA

damn shame...

goingoneight
1/10/2008, 10:25 PM
Its going to be a pretty good pool of WR, especially with Manningham and Arrington from Mich coming out. He is still better than all of them, though. I just wish I could have seen him play in a bowl game... oh well, I will still get to see him play on Sundays. Best of luck to him.

He played in a bowl game, and saved Bomar's bacon on some really bad throws.

goingoneight
1/10/2008, 10:30 PM
I think this was a stupid idea...but then again, what do I know? He'll make more money than me anyways.

Dude, seriously... he's ready. The only stupid thing would be "school pride" getting him seriously hurt or coming back through Oklahoma summer 2-a-days, working probably for a gas station or grocery store when he could become an instant millionaire.

Reggie Smith? Duke? Now those guys need to return. Some guys go pro early and don't even get drafted, then they've ended their football career essentially unless they can pull a Romo the free-agent way. We all know the free agent dealio doesn't produce even half of the stars as it does backups and duds.

Curly Bill
1/10/2008, 10:41 PM
The only stupid thing would be "school pride" getting him seriously hurt or coming back through Oklahoma summer 2-a-days, working probably for a gas station or grocery store when he could become an instant millionaire.

Ah come on, you know they should all come back so they can win us #8. ;)

Nah I'm with you, football is a violent game, if you can go get paid, you better go get it while you know for sure that someone wants to give it to you.

This brings to mind what some were saying in regard to MK going pro, that receivers don't suffer serious injuries very often. This was shortly before Adron Tennell blew out a knee. :(

tulsaoilerfan
1/10/2008, 10:41 PM
I hope Malcolm falls all the way to dallas in the first round; they could use a big receiver like him to play alongside TO

Texas Golfer
1/11/2008, 01:37 AM
I loved the way Kelly credits OU for his success - this won't hurt recruiting !

"OU and the coaches there gave me the best opportunity to reach the pro level," Kelly said. "Going to OU was really the thing that put me in the position to be able to make this decision."

It was a nice comment from MK but the article gives me the impression that maybe his dad talked him into it because of the lack of touches this season.

In any case, I wish MK all the best and look forward to cheering him on in the NFL.

Crucifax Autumn
1/11/2008, 01:42 AM
Sucks to see him go without a National title on his resume, but we'll be fine.

And screw Dallas...Maybe he can go play with AD!

cheezyq
1/11/2008, 09:37 AM

Why was it stupid? He's got the talent to be a 1st rounder, and he was primarily a decoy in this year's offense. Why stick around watching Iglesias catch passes for free when you can watch your NFL teammates catch passes while making a lot of money? :)

Boomer.....
1/11/2008, 09:39 AM
Best of luck to him!

sooneron
1/11/2008, 10:33 AM
Another story from SoonerSports.com (http://soonersports.com/genrel/070207aab.html)
bad link - it's to Mossman Prophecies

sooneron
1/11/2008, 10:38 AM
Why? He was getting the crap hit out of him this year and last. Timing is everything and we can't hold onto these guys all four years all the time. Good for Malcolm, I hope he succeeds in the nfl and makes us proud to watch him on Sundays.

cvsooner
1/11/2008, 01:15 PM
It was a nice comment from MK but the article gives me the impression that maybe his dad talked him into it because of the lack of touches this season.

In any case, I wish MK all the best and look forward to cheering him on in the NFL.

Yeah, his dad's comments rankled a bit. Reminded me of the whole Keyshawn Johnson "just give me the damn ball" bit from a few years ago.

r5TPsooner
1/11/2008, 01:32 PM
I set in the stands and watched him quite a bit. He was a good receiver but he took a LOT of plays off and I'm not talking on the bench either.

Best of luck to him.

stoopified
1/11/2008, 01:39 PM
Go on,take the money and run.

Collier11
1/11/2008, 01:57 PM
Go on,take the money and run.

We all know MK has it in him to be a great one, the question is will he be TO, Keyshawn, or Mike williams cus he is similiar to all as far as the type of receiver he is?

Scott D
1/11/2008, 02:02 PM
We all know MK has it in him to be a great one, the question is will he be TO, Keyshawn, or Mike williams cus he is similiar to all as far as the type of receiver he is?

won't matter, the Lions are going to get rid of Kelly's 'hero' this offseason by the draft and draft Kelly with their pick.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/11/2008, 02:05 PM
I'm a Kelly fan and he was a huge reason why we won some big games...especailly look at the 2006 Big 12 Championship....but I do think that with his skills and accomplishment he was probably viewed as a leader and I think it is fair to say that he didn't always lay it all out there on the line and wasn't know for playing hurt.

effay
1/11/2008, 02:09 PM
Too bad Kevin Wilson decided to stop throwing him the ball this season.

Collier11
1/11/2008, 02:10 PM

did you ever think that this might have been that we had a freshman qb and he didnt alway go through all his reads or got to comfortable with JI???

effay
1/11/2008, 02:56 PM
did you ever think that this might have been that we had a freshman qb and he didnt alway go through all his reads or got to comfortable with JI???

Fine then: too bad Kevin Wilson decided to make the best receiver in college football the third read on every play!!

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/11/2008, 03:41 PM

It might have been Wilson's decision but for all we know Kevin Wilson might have wanted to go deep to MK 10-12 times a game and Stoops told him to dial it back.

Just a somewhat hypothetical here as well but I think it makes sense even as good as Bradford has been. D-Coordinator for team "X" decides that pre-snap in all medium to long yardage situations to roll the coverage over to Kelly's side effectively showing Bradford that MK is going to get double coverage...whether that remains the case or not Sam makes a quick read and looks for the second or third receiver rather than try to force it. I said somewhat hypothetical because I think this was largely the Colo game.

Now maybe Reshirt junior or Senior Sam has enough experience to see when a coverage is a disguise and beat it accordingly. Of course if a WR is being doubled and we aren't in 3rd and 12 it opens up a lot of options.

We sure didn't lose the TT game because we didn't try to get the ball to MK...probably quite the opposite and we sure didn't lose the Fiesta Bowl for that reason.

Civicus_Sooner
1/11/2008, 05:50 PM
Fine then: too bad Kevin Wilson decided to make the best receiver in college football the third read on every play!!You don't think he was double and sometimes triple covered on the plays that he was the first read?

This is very silly logic.

effay
1/11/2008, 07:31 PM
You don't think he was double and sometimes triple covered on the plays that he was the first read?

This is very silly logic.

C'mon people. There have probably been 50 times this season that we have lined up in 1 or 2 wide where Kelly has been in single coverage and Wilson just runs the ball against 9 or 10 in the box. It's there all the time. Ya sometimes they try to give the impression that there is safety help, but most of the time the safety cheats up so far that he could never get back in time even if he were helping on Kelly.

I really don't think it's too much to ask even a true freshman QB to make the simple audible to the fly or Kelly's signature skinny post on those plays. In the Miami game Bradford did it for a TD so you know he can. And if he isn't picking it up, it's the coaches' job to point something simple like that out.

OU-HSV
1/12/2008, 09:28 AM
Congrats to MK, I don't blame him one bit.

Wonder if this will help sway Julio Jones or Owens our way at all

rubyspirit
1/12/2008, 11:58 PM
All the best Malcolm ...

Crucifax Autumn
1/13/2008, 04:28 AM
Can he change his mind at this point or is it a lock now?

Scott D
1/13/2008, 11:21 AM
As long as he hasn't hired an agent, he has until Tuesday to change his mind.

Desert Sapper
1/13/2008, 12:59 PM
Kelly wasn't getting the ball on every touch, because of one or a combination of a few reasons:

1. He was drawing the opposing team's best cover guy.
2. He was drawing multiple coverage.
3. He was loafing.

When a receiver is open, you throw him the ball. Kelly wasn't always open, and sometimes he came open after Sam read him covered.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/14/2008, 06:27 PM
More catches for Gresham next year before he goes pro also