PDA

View Full Version : Left laners beware

Sooner_Bob
1/10/2008, 01:37 PM
Link (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/01/09/ross.ok.slow.drivers.beware.ktul)

mdklatt
1/10/2008, 01:52 PM
What's "too slow"? Below the speed limit? Or are they going after people who aren't ignoring the speed limit by a big enough margin? Let's crack down on the people going 75 in the left lane because they're inconveniencing the people going 85. Brilliant!

Boarder
1/10/2008, 01:55 PM
The way the OKHiPo explained it on tv was if you're going below the speed limit in the left lane. Or if you didn't get out of the way immediately when emergency personnel were approaching.

So, all the 85mph drivers will still be stuck with people going 70 in the left lane. Sorry. Slow down, you hoodlums.

colleyvillesooner
1/10/2008, 01:56 PM
Fine by me.

picasso
1/10/2008, 01:56 PM
I recently saw a guy who had painted on his tailgate "Slow Left Lane Drivers are Idiots."

I tend to agree.

sanantoniosooner
1/10/2008, 01:57 PM
I got hit for $147 for doing 52 in a 40. I don't think I was, but it's not like I can commute to Kiowa to dispute it easily.

picasso
1/10/2008, 01:58 PM
I got hit for $147 for doing 52 in a 40. I don't think I was, but it's not like I can commute to Kiowa to dispute it easily.
Sincerely,

DeMarcus Granger

mdklatt
1/10/2008, 02:00 PM
The way the OKHiPo explained it on tv was if you're going below the speed limit in the left lane. Or if you didn't get out of the way immediately when emergency personnel were approaching.

What if you're just hanging out in the left lane with nothing preventing you from getting back into the right lane, i.e. not passing somebody? That's against the law, isn't it?

I don't stay in the left lane longer than necessary, but I'm not going to go 85 so the jackasses behind me don't have to slow down while I'm passing somebody.

Sooner_Bob
1/10/2008, 02:01 PM
What's "too slow"? Below the speed limit?

Did you watch the video? They pulled people over for going 60-62.

IMO folks should follow one simple rule (other than obey the speed limit :rolleyes:):

If you're in the left lane and someone going faster comes up behind you; simply swallow your pride and move over.

Sooner_Bob
1/10/2008, 02:02 PM
What if you're just hanging out in the left lane with nothing preventing you from getting back into the right lane, i.e. not passing somebody.

You're not supposed to just "hang out" in the left lane.

jk the sooner fan
1/10/2008, 02:03 PM
if i had a nickel for every slow oklahoma tag i had to sit behind in the hammer lane, i'd have a buttload of nickels

i love the state and all its peeps but jeezus, GET IN THE RIGHT LANE if you want to sight see

sanantoniosooner
1/10/2008, 02:03 PM
get out of the freak'n left lane if you aren't passing somebody.

mdklatt
1/10/2008, 02:04 PM

No.

They need to implement this program on I-35E south of downtown Dallas. :mad:

mdklatt
1/10/2008, 02:06 PM
You're not supposed to just "hang out" in the left lane.

I know. Are they going after people who are in the left even if they don't need to be but are going the speed limit?

I think I'm overanalyzing this. :O

colleyvillesooner
1/10/2008, 02:07 PM
ya think?

Sooner_Bob
1/10/2008, 02:16 PM
I know. Are they going after people who are in the left even if they don't need to be but are going the speed limit?

I think I'm overanalyzing this. :O

Yes and yes.

crawfish
1/10/2008, 02:20 PM
If you're in the left lane and someone going faster comes up behind you; simply swallow your pride and move over.

That would eliminate about 75% of traffic accidents, if you ask me.

sanantoniosooner
1/10/2008, 02:22 PM
That would eliminate about 75% of traffic accidents, if you ask me.
you underestimate the versatility of the idiot.

yermom
1/10/2008, 02:30 PM

IMO folks should follow one simple rule (other than obey the speed limit :rolleyes:):

exactly.

if everyone did this, traffic would run immensely smoother

Sooner_Bob
1/10/2008, 02:34 PM
exactly.

if everyone did this, traffic would run immensely smoother

It took me a few years to actually start doing that, but after a while I decided it wasn't worth the hassle to not do it.

royalfan5
1/10/2008, 02:37 PM
Maintaining lane discipline is something that most drivers are terrible at. It's really something that should be pounded into people's heads during drivers education. That and not yielding the right away to those who don't have it and as a result ****ing everything up.

Boomer.....
1/10/2008, 02:39 PM
I think it is a great idea! If you do not even go the posted speed limit, MOVE OVER!

Ardmore_Sooner
1/10/2008, 02:39 PM
Best. Law. Ever.

Sooner_Bob
1/10/2008, 02:45 PM
That and not yielding the right away to those who don't have it and as a result ****ing everything up.

It totally gets under my skin when folks do that, or when folks wanting merge think that the yield sign is for those in the main flow of traffic.

If you're trying to merge onto a main thoroughfare wait your turn or drive in such a manner that you can safely move in between vehicles. Don't just floor it and expect folks already there to move over for you. Sometimes they can't.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/10/2008, 02:47 PM
Slow left laners need an RPG up the tailpipe. I hate people who don't drive by the rule and stay in the right lane. People who drive in the left like they own it need to be run off the road! If they did that in Europe, they wouldn't be driving long...

jk the sooner fan
1/10/2008, 02:59 PM
the number of okies posting in favor of this law is disproportionate to the number that sit in the left lane

SicEmBaylor
1/10/2008, 03:01 PM
Thank God, I am so sick of not being able to speed because some bozo is blocking the left lane.

sanantoniosooner
1/10/2008, 03:02 PM
the number of okies posting in favor of this law is disproportionate to the number that sit in the left lane
It's not okie tags down here.

toast
1/10/2008, 03:13 PM
slow movers need to get out of the left lane, however part of me questions whether this is just a move to get more revenue $$$$$ at a $140 ticket.

sanantoniosooner
1/10/2008, 03:15 PM
it was over $200 a ticket.

Seems like an excessive number to me.

Boarder
1/10/2008, 03:38 PM
Let the speeders pass. It's loads of fun, actually.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98235

TUSooner
1/10/2008, 03:39 PM
This is a good law!

I felt a surprising level of real animosity toward those turkeys on the video who got stopped. GTF over!

StoopTroup
1/10/2008, 03:47 PM
BTW...if your behind me in the left lane, you really need to slow down.

It's just not safe for two vehicles to be so close at 90+.

OCUDad
1/10/2008, 03:50 PM
Giving them warnings is weak.
Giving them tickets is still too mild.
Some people just need killin'.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/10/2008, 03:59 PM
Like I said - RPG up the tailpipe!

TheHumanAlphabet
1/10/2008, 04:01 PM
it was over $200 a ticket.

Seems like an excessive number to me.

Nope! Poor driving skills and poor road manners are excessive. People need to learn that driving is a privilege, not a right. They also need to learn how to conduct themselves properly on the road, not be stupid idiots behind the wheel.

sanantoniosooner
1/10/2008, 04:05 PM
Nope! Poor driving skills and poor road manners are excessive. People need to learn that driving is a privilege, not a right. They also need to learn how to conduct themselves properly on the road, not be stupid idiots behind the wheel.
my speeding ticket was for going 12 mph over the limit at $147

What is "too much" is relative to the other fines that are similar.

colleyvillesooner
1/10/2008, 04:09 PM

Mine was 11 MPH over and was $226. :eek:

Stupid Howe, TX. :mad:

sanantoniosooner
1/10/2008, 04:13 PM
Kiowa, OK sucks.

It's bad enough being pulled over without the police using a station wagon to do it. You can call it a magnum, but it's still a rambler to me.

SwitzerFan
1/10/2008, 04:25 PM
I understand moving to the right lane if you are not passing. I also understand that people in the left lane not going the maximum speed limit is wrong. However if someone is in the left lane going the speed limit they should be fine for a few moments to get around. They don't need to hurry up and get over just because someone is trying to go above the posted sign. There is a limit on purpose. One mile an hour over is speeding. If you are in the right lane and following someone going 64 in a 65 and you try to pass and go 70 to do it.. You are speeding. That is why it is called a limit.

BoomerSooner07
1/10/2008, 04:29 PM
Those bastages in Kiowa stopped me for going 3 over on the way to OU/TX

yermom
1/10/2008, 04:30 PM
Mine was 11 MPH over and was $226. :eek:

Stupid Howe, TX. :mad:

Las Vegas, NM is the place to get pulled over for speeding...

92 in a 65 = $150

bar. gain.

yermom
1/10/2008, 04:32 PM
I wish I had a left lane to get out of. You hillbillies with 4 lane highways are spoiled.

this is true. it takes so much longer to get anywhere in PA or out East than it does around here

Ike
1/10/2008, 04:38 PM
out here, they passed a law that says you can get a ticket for being passed on the right on the freeway. Although this is largely ignored in the metro area.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/10/2008, 04:39 PM

speeding tickets are not to prevent speeding, but a legal way to extort money for city coffers...

My last ticket was to the fair city of Fargo, Oklahoma. I went too fast in a school zone about 15 years ago. 'Cept there was nothing in this no light town to indicate school was in session (as most of OK hadn't returned from summer break yet). My "fine" was $30. paid right there in the cop car by check...

Boarder
1/10/2008, 04:46 PM
speeding tickets are not to prevent speeding, but a legal way to extort money for city coffers...

Really? What's the chances that Colleyville speeds again in Howe, TX? :D

Miko
1/10/2008, 04:47 PM
I remember being amused when I first moved to h-town by a series of signs in the interstate here. WIth in fiddy yards of eachother in sequence, on both sides of the road:

Obey all traffic signs State Law (I guess it's a suggestion elsewhere.)

Slower Traffic Keep Right

Right Lane Must Exit

That's one way to deal with em! Just get the heck off the road altogether!

mdklatt
1/10/2008, 04:48 PM
However if someone is in the left lane going the speed limit they should be fine for a few moments to get around. They don't need to hurry up and get over just because someone is trying to go above the posted sign.

Exactly. I get sick and tired of all the Dale Earnhardt wannabees riding my *** while I'm passing somebody. I'll get back over as soon as I can, so hold your ****ing horses.

sanantoniosooner
1/10/2008, 04:52 PM
If you don't get out of my way, I'll come at you like a spider monkey.

Sooner_Bob
1/10/2008, 05:00 PM

You act like this driving phenomenon only happens in Oklahoma?

toast
1/10/2008, 05:08 PM
I wish I had a left lane to get out of. You hillbillies with 4 lane highways are spoiled.

you could just drive in the wrong lane and pretend you're in the left hand lane.

Sooner_Bob
1/10/2008, 05:51 PM
I understand moving to the right lane if you are not passing. I also understand that people in the left lane not going the maximum speed limit is wrong. However if someone is in the left lane going the speed limit they should be fine for a few moments to get around. They don't need to hurry up and get over just because someone is trying to go above the posted sign. There is a limit on purpose. One mile an hour over is speeding. If you are in the right lane and following someone going 64 in a 65 and you try to pass and go 70 to do it.. You are speeding. That is why it is called a limit.

I thought you said you understood?

Sooner_Bob
1/10/2008, 05:52 PM
Exactly. I get sick and tired of all the Dale Earnhardt wannabees riding my *** while I'm passing somebody. I'll get back over as soon as I can, so hold your ****ing horses.

So you'll pass somebody, but you won't "speed" to do it? If you're not going to speed to pass then why bother?

Pass the freakin' slower driver and move over. Don't pull a Boarder and hope to video someone getting stopped. ;)

colleyvillesooner
1/10/2008, 06:01 PM

zero. :D

yermom
1/10/2008, 06:16 PM
So you'll pass somebody, but you won't "speed" to do it? If you're not going to speed to pass then why bother?

Pass the freakin' slower driver and move over. Don't pull a Boarder and hope to video someone getting stopped. ;)

sometimes people are going well under the speed limit...

Sooner_Bob
1/10/2008, 06:23 PM
sometimes people are going well under the speed limit...

True. But you can still get around them and not hold up those behind you (if any).

I'm not complaining about someone cautiously passing another car by any means, I just don't care for those who take their sweet time to get it done.

sanantoniosooner
1/10/2008, 06:28 PM
True. But you can still get around them and not hold up those behind you (if any).

I'm not complaining about someone cautiously passing another car by any means, I just don't care for those who take their sweet time to get it done.
you mean the people with their cruise set at 71 while they pass the other car with it's cruise set at 70?

SleestakSooner
1/10/2008, 06:30 PM
F em, if your slow moving *** is in the fast lane blocking up all traffic behind you, then you need to get over the fear of breaking a law for a few seconds and step on that pedal.

You never know who is behind you or what their hurry might be. How much sweat off your balls (assuming you have them) will it cause for you to speed up a bit and get over?

They need a similar law for anyone coming to a complete stop in a merge lane! There is nothing that will put your heart in your throat faster than looking over your left shoulder while speeding up to merge, only to turn and look up at the brake lights of the 95-year-old blue hair that just stopped only a few feet in front of you. If you can't merge properly onto a highway then don't use the freaking highways!

Man I am so glad I don't have to commute further than three blocks to work now. ;)

Sooner_Bob
1/10/2008, 06:31 PM
you mean the people with their cruise set at 71 while they pass the other car with it's cruise set at 70?

Exactamundo

Sooner_Bob
1/10/2008, 06:32 PM
They need a similar law for anyone coming to a complete stop in a merge lane!

Yep

mdklatt
1/10/2008, 06:46 PM
You never know who is behind you or what their hurry might be.

Unless they've got flashing lights on the roof, it's not my problem.

How much sweat off your balls (assuming you have them) will it cause for you to speed up a bit and get over?

If you are speeding, you can't reasonably get upset at somebody who's not letting you break the law as much as you'd like.

While we're on this subject, if you have to use your brakes to slow down while in non-congested freeway traffic you suck at driving. Slow the hell down and quit following everybody so damn close.

SleestakSooner
1/10/2008, 06:49 PM

If you are speeding, you can't reasonably get upset at somebody who's not letting you break the law as much as you'd like.

While we're on this subject, if you have to use your brakes to slow down while in non-congested freeway traffic you suck at driving. Slow the hell down and quit following everybody so damn close.

I love to drive on the highway using nothing but cruise control. The resume speed button is great for when you slow pokes finally do move over! :D

Sooner_Bob
1/10/2008, 07:08 PM
No wonder there is so much road rage out there . . . I think some folks just do things to hack other drivers off.

yermom
1/10/2008, 07:12 PM

if you are getting passed on the right by multiple cars it should tell you something. if you aren't going as fast as everyone else in the left lane you should get over when you can. otherwise people are going to do stupid things to get around you. not to mention cut you off or some other road ragey kinda thing

as far as following too close... i usually leave a lot of room, the problem is the idiots that decide to pass on the right and weave in front of me when i leave too much space

Mongo
1/10/2008, 07:13 PM
I always whip into the right lane around the slow left lane drivers and deliver them a pressed ham. It takes talent to pull that stunt off

SleestakSooner
1/10/2008, 07:28 PM
I always whip into the right lane around the slow left lane drivers and deliver them a pressed ham. It takes talent to pull that stunt off

Oh yeah, try showing them your bat wings next time.

SwitzerFan
1/10/2008, 07:39 PM
I thought you said you understood?

My only thing is that if you are in the left lane going the speed limit then you should be fine for a while. People going over the limit wanting around (other than emergency staff, police) will have to wait. If they are going to hassle me about moving over so they can go over the limit, they will have some waiting to do.

SwitzerFan
1/10/2008, 07:43 PM

Agreed!!!

Petro-Sooner
1/10/2008, 07:53 PM
I couldnt agree more with what highway patrol are doing.

Mongo
1/10/2008, 07:55 PM
Oh yeah, try showing them your bat wings next time.

now you are just talking crazy

tommieharris91
1/11/2008, 01:56 AM
I wonder if I now have a case against getting pulled over for doing 80 in a 60 in the left lane. The cop even told me I was passing someone doing 67 when he pulled me over.

misplaced_sooner
1/11/2008, 04:00 AM
I'm a fast driver most of the time. Spokane is the only place that I've ever seen where NOBODY drives above the speed limit in the left lane. If the speed limit is 60 you are lucky to be doing 55.

If a driver is doing the speed limit or higher and I want to go faster, I don't get upset. I get ****ed at the guys not doing the speed limit. Move your *** over!

Andrew

Jerk
1/11/2008, 06:52 AM
My only thing is that if you are in the left lane going the speed limit then you should be fine for a while. People going over the limit wanting around (other than emergency staff, police) will have to wait. If they are going to hassle me about moving over so they can go over the limit, they will have some waiting to do.
How come you can't go the speed limit in the right lane?

You left lane nazis have no idea how many problems you cause (or maybe you do, but you enjoy it)

What an arrogant attitude to have, that you can just keep your PT Cruiser in the left lane, and block everyone else. "No one should go faster than me!" Does this inlcude emergency vehicles that you don't notice because you're yapping on the cell phone?

And I bet that you speed up when someone dares to pass you on the right.

Sooner_Bob
1/11/2008, 07:54 AM
. . . the problem is the idiots that decide to pass on the right and weave in front of me when i leave too much space

Yes it is . . . almost as bad as folks who camp in the left lane.

Sooner_Bob
1/11/2008, 07:57 AM

I think most people get that. But there are those out there who don't and camp in the left lane or just barely pass another car. Those are the ones who need to pay attention and either hurry up and get around someone or move over.

Speed limit or not. If you seriously think you can go the speed limit in the left lane on Hefner Parkway you'll have a ton of cars stacked up behind your car ready to strangle you.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/11/2008, 09:05 AM

Well they do get you ONCE! :D Just ask Mrs. THA about Wilmer, TX, just south of Dallas on I-45. During the construction there, that was speed trap central and I am sure Wilmer made enough to meet their city budget needs for 10+ years. After that one time, we NEVER drove more than 5 mph less than the speed limit through that area...Always in the right lane of course ;)

TheHumanAlphabet
1/11/2008, 09:07 AM
No wonder there is so much road rage out there . . . I think some folks just do things to hack other drivers off.

Do you double flash your brights, like they do in Europe? I do sometimes, but only after a patient wait for the person to pull to the right. Then I encourage them.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/11/2008, 09:09 AM

Nope! Disagree! The left lane is not for cruising (unless you are going more than the average right lane speed), it is for passing. If you want to drive as you described, then it should be from the right lane (IMO).

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2008, 09:30 AM
I'm a speeder, but one thing I do NOT have tolerance for is people who think they can get you to move over by sticking their grill in your rear view mirror.

I am aggressive, but I try not to sacrifice courtesy to do it.

mdklatt
1/11/2008, 10:43 AM
if you aren't going as fast as everyone else in the left lane you should get over when you can.

I don't think anybody here is saying otherwise. The problem I have is if I'm going 75, and passing a pack of cars going 70, and a line of idiots is riding my *** until I get back over because they want to go 85. If you always have problems with people in the left lane going slower than you, you are probably going too fast.

I always see packs of 8-10 cars going 80-85 MPH, acting like it's a NASCAR race. They leave no space between themselves, and then they all have to slam on the brakes when they come up on slower traffic in the left lane. I imagine that these people are always bitching about how much traffic there is everywhere they go, even when they're driving in the middle of nowhere. Meanwhile, I'm going 75 in the right lane, and I almost always have the road to myself.

SwitzerFan
1/11/2008, 10:44 AM
How come you can't go the speed limit in the right lane?

Because people are going slower than the limit there.

You left lane nazis have no idea how many problems you cause (or maybe you do, but you enjoy it)

How can you be a nazi for obeying the speed limit law?What an arrogant attitude to have, that you can just keep your PT Cruiser in the left lane, and block everyone else. "No one should go faster than me!" Does this inlcude emergency vehicles that you don't notice because you're yapping on the cell phone?

It is not that no one should go faster than me, it is no one should go faster than the speed limit with the exception of emergency vehicles.
And I bet that you speed up when someone dares to pass you on the right.

Untrue. Since I am doing the limit. Going faster would be speeding. For what it is worth I don't hang out in the left lane on purpose I use it only for passing within the speed limit. However, if you ride my butt trying to go faster than the limit while I am trying to pass another car. You will have to wait a while. If you flash your lights, you will wait even longer. That is all.

yermom
1/11/2008, 12:12 PM
generally i don't have a problem if you are just passing a car. that is generally not the people that are being discussed, or the ones that would be cited by OHP

but still, there is the law, and then there is reality, courtesy and safety

is your response to traffic hindering it, or helping it?

1stTimeCaller
1/11/2008, 12:17 PM
http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/1010/1010_hall_monitor_cartman.jpg

some of you people crack me up!

Sooner_Bob
1/11/2008, 01:33 PM
Do you double flash your brights, like they do in Europe? I do sometimes, but only after a patient wait for the person to pull to the right. Then I encourage them.

You actually think that would work around here? I think that'd make them madder or that they wouldn't even see it . . .

Sooner_Bob
1/11/2008, 01:43 PM
Untrue. Since I am doing the limit. Going faster would be speeding. For what it is worth I don't hang out in the left lane on purpose I use it only for passing within the speed limit. However, if you ride my butt trying to go faster than the limit while I am trying to pass another car. You will have to wait a while. If you flash your lights, you will wait even longer. That is all.

This whole smarmy attitude about how I'm going the speed limit and by George you're not going to get around me is the reason road rage is so prevalent.

Let me guess, you set your cruise on 71, stay in the right lane until you come upon a car going 65-70 and then move over to pass (probably not looking to see if a faster car is approaching cause you don't want to have to reset the cruise) and then look in your rearview mirror and see all of the other cars who are driving 81 wanting to get by. So then one of the drivers flashes his lights at you to wake you up (I've been there, I know how easy it is to sometimes not realize you've slowed down or might be holding up someone) and you get hacked off and go slower or never touch the gas to get around the single vehicle you were passing that has now turned into multiple vehicles because you didn't speed up enough to get around anyone.

Drive from OKC to Shawnee one evening and see how frustrating it can be. I refuse to go that way if I'm going to visit my folks because for whatever reason tons of folks refuse to even go 70.

Mongo
1/11/2008, 02:08 PM
This whole smarmy attitude about how I'm going the speed limit and by George you're not going to get around me is the reason road rage is so prevalent.

Let me guess, you set your cruise on 71, stay in the right lane until you come upon a car going 65-70 and then move over to pass (probably not looking to see if a faster car is approaching cause you don't want to have to reset the cruise) and then look in your rearview mirror and see all of the other cars who are driving 81 wanting to get by. So then one of the drivers flashes his lights at you to wake you up (I've been there, I know how easy it is to sometimes not realize you've slowed down or might be holding up someone) and you get hacked off and go slower or never touch the gas to get around the single vehicle you were passing that has now turned into multiple vehicles because you didn't speed up enough to get around anyone.

Drive from OKC to Shawnee one evening and see how frustrating it can be. I refuse to go that way if I'm going to visit my folks because for whatever reason tons of folks refuse to even go 70.

I agree with this 100%

yermom
1/11/2008, 02:12 PM
You actually think that would work around here? I think that'd make them madder or that they wouldn't even see it . . .

this does work sometimes. i wish this would take off here more

mdklatt
1/11/2008, 02:13 PM
is your response to traffic hindering it, or helping it?

Having to hit the brakes because you're following too close and/or going to fast hinders traffic flow more than anything else because it causes a chain reaction of brake hitting by all the people behind you who are following too close. Traffic engineers use concepts from fluid mechanics, because traffic behaves much like a fluid flow. Hitting the brakes produces non-laminar flow, SO QUIT FOLLOWING SO DAMN CLOSE. If people would pay attention to what's going on ahead of them instead talking on the phone or whatever the hell they're doing, they could gradually start slowing down when they see that they're overtaking somebody in the left lane. Then, that car is back in the right lane (usually) before there's a conflict. No brakes, no turbulence.

I wonder how much cruise control contributes to people following so close? If I don't have the cruise control on I moderate my following distance more smoothly. With it on, I'll let myself get a lot closer to somebody while waiting for a chance to get into the left lane rather than tap the brake pedal to put it in coast mode.

SwitzerFan
1/11/2008, 02:17 PM

I don't use the cruise. If the limit is 75 I go 75 not 71. It is not my problem that someone is trying to do 81 in a 75. I'll let the cops deal with the 81 in a 75. Also, I am not the one with road rage, I am just following the law. People coming up on me too fast are the ones that tend to get worked up because they are doing something wrong in the first place. I shouldn't have to be worried/rushed about passing someone while I am doing the speed limit and then pulling into the right lane.

Mongo
1/11/2008, 02:21 PM
I don't use the cruise. If the limit is 75 I go 75 not 71. It is not my problem that someone is trying to do 81 in a 75. I'll let the cops deal with the 81 in a 75.

so get your *** over and quit blocking the 81'ers so the cops can get them. Why do you hate cops and dont want them to do their job?

SleestakSooner
1/11/2008, 02:25 PM
Hitting the brakes produces non-laminar flow, SO QUIT FOLLOWING SO DAMN CLOSE. If people would pay attention to what's going on ahead of them instead talking on the phone or whatever the hell they're doing, they could gradually start slowing down when they see that they're overtaking somebody in the left lane. Then, that car is back in the right lane (usually) before there's a conflict. No brakes, no turbulence.

You see, sometimes you have to swallow your pride and just do what is right.

If you are "gradually" passing someone because you refuse to speed at all, then you are causing the problem by creating a back-up behind you as of all those "gradually" cruising up behind you begin to tap their brakes.

Just gtfootw kthx

mdklatt
1/11/2008, 02:26 PM
I It is not my problem that someone is trying to do 81 in a 75.

This is the bottom line, folks. I only follow the speed limit in school zones, but whenever I get mad that somebody ahead of me is "only" going the speed limit I have to stop myself. How in the hell does somebody's "right" to speed ever trump somebody's right to obey the law?

SwitzerFan
1/11/2008, 02:27 PM
so get your *** over and quit blocking the 81'ers so the cops can get them. Why do you hate cops and dont want them to do their job?

Why should I have to worry about your illegal activity and adapt to it. I will drive according to the way I was taught.. by the rules. If I break a rule then there are things I will have to deal with because of my actions.

SwitzerFan
1/11/2008, 02:28 PM
This is the bottom line, folks. I only follow the speed limit in school zones, but whenever I get mad that somebody ahead of me is "only" going the speed limit I have to stop myself. How in the hell does somebody's "right" to speed ever trump somebody's right to obey the law?

Well put. And by the way there is no such thing as "right" to speed.

yermom
1/11/2008, 02:30 PM
it's not about rights. it's about what is going to happen with idiots being stupid around you.

would you rather anger the idiots or just get out of their way?

people are going to speed. if they have to weave in and out of pokey in the right lane things are getting more dangerous.

yermom
1/11/2008, 02:31 PM
Why should I have to worry about your illegal activity and adapt to it. I will drive according to the way I was taught.. by the rules. If I break a rule then there are things I will have to deal with because of my actions.

the rules are not to hang out in the left lane, unless you are passing

SwitzerFan
1/11/2008, 02:32 PM
the rules are not to hang out in the left lane, unless you are passing
I agree. I will be in the left lane only to pass going the limit. However, if you flash your lights at me I won't be too concerned about doing this act as fast as I can, but I will get there.

Mongo
1/11/2008, 02:33 PM
Well put. And by the way there is no such thing as "right" to speed.

I have the right to poop in my hand and fling it out the window. It may or may not hit another car.

what roads do you take the most and what kind of car do you drive?

royalfan5
1/11/2008, 02:34 PM
This thread reminds me of a theory one of my friends had: Essentially he believed that road rage could be decreased if all cars had a "sorry I ****ed up light" on them. Because everybody occasionally will make a non-courteous move will driving, and having the ability to apologize to the other driver via light might calm people's **** down.

SwitzerFan
1/11/2008, 02:34 PM
I have the right to poop in my hand and fling it out the window. It may or may not hit another car.

Don't get worked up about it. I am only trying to obey the law.

yermom
1/11/2008, 02:35 PM
I agree. I will be in the left lane only to pass going the limit. However, if you flash your lights at me I won't be too concerned about doing this act as fast as I can, but I will get there.

my use of the flashing lights is not to "speed up" but to "get the hell over because there is no one next to you in the right lane"

SwitzerFan
1/11/2008, 02:37 PM
my use of the flashing lights is not to "speed up" but to "get the hell over because there is no one next to you in the right lane"

I don't hang in the left lane unless I am passing someone. I am just saying unless you are a cop flashing the lights won't get you very far.

sooner_born_1960
1/11/2008, 02:37 PM

What roads do you take the most?

mdklatt
1/11/2008, 02:38 PM
You see, sometimes you have to swallow your pride and just do what is right.

What's "right" about letting somebody go as fast as they want to go? Anybody who is so important that they need to get to Dallas two minutes before I do should nut up and buy a plane. This has nothing to do with pride, it's all about stupid. People following each other on the highway at 85 MPH with less space than they leave while stopped at a traffic light is ****ing stupid.

SleestakSooner
1/11/2008, 02:39 PM
Don't get worked up about it. I am only trying to obey the law.

You see that is the point here. This new law was created to combat driving almost exactly as you describe. If you continue to act this way it won't be out of ignorance of the law, but out of sheer stupidity and false pride. Don't get all worked up, just saying...:rolleyes:

Sooner24
1/11/2008, 02:39 PM
The OHP has had thier plane in the air all morning around the 42 mile maker on I35 and have been pulling over cars left and right. I never heard them pick out a car going less than 80 and the top speed I heard them get a guy for was 94. If driving I35 today watchout around the 41-45 mile markers. That is all.

SwitzerFan
1/11/2008, 02:40 PM
You see that is the point here. This new law was created to combat driving almost exactly as you describe. If you continue to act this way it won't be out of ignorance of the law, but out of sheer stupidity and false pride. Don't get all worked up, just saying...:rolleyes:

Nothing that I have described will get me a ticket. Speeding will. Just saying.

yermom
1/11/2008, 02:40 PM
i think we are talking about 5 different things here...

SleestakSooner
1/11/2008, 02:41 PM
What's "right" about letting somebody go as fast as they want to go? Anybody who is so important that they need to get to Dallas two minutes before I do should nut up and buy a plane. This has nothing to do with pride, it's all about stupid. People following each other on the highway at 85 MPH with less space than they leave while stopped at a traffic light is ****ing stupid.

Please refer to my previous post. :pop:

Sooner24
1/11/2008, 02:42 PM

I know my post wasn't about the idiots that don't know that flashing your lights is the proper way to get someone to move over but just an FYI since this thread was about driving.

Mongo
1/11/2008, 02:42 PM
What roads do you take the most?

I am everywhere.

just keep that in mind next time someone is behind you trying to go fast and ask yourself this question: "Is today the day someone flings their poop at my car?"

:D

mdklatt
1/11/2008, 02:43 PM

Definitely.

As to the original point of this thread, I don't think that anybody here is arguing that you should use the left lane for anything but passing. Ticketing people for impeding traffic is a good thing. But people who are "only" going the speed limit are, by definition, not impeding traffic. But that's not who they're going after so there shouldn't be any disagreement at all.

Lott's Bandana
1/11/2008, 02:44 PM
It's not okie tags down here.

No kidding.

It is a POSTED law in Texas, but because of the weird frontage road system that brings cars into traffic in some really unbelievable places, Texas drivers all get in a big long azz line and just sit there in the left lane, ignoring the law. ('Course I'm speeding so I get teh hypocrisy.)

Driving north, cross that river...life gets stress free! Okies by and large move over...

The Sunday of a three-day weekend you'll find the left lanes in OKC overflowing with Texans...it's rather funny how programmed they are.

Disclaimer: if you ever drive to S Padre, south of Corpus, the two lanes on the way have the best drivers in the world! Everyone pulls over at speed onto the wide road shoulder...I love it! (we don't have road shoulders in OK)

mdklatt
1/11/2008, 02:47 PM
(we don't have road shoulders in OK)

No ****. :mad:

crawfish
1/11/2008, 02:47 PM
The bottom line is: people are going to speed. It's just the way it is. Doesn't make it right. However, if accidents are a concern, it's safer if the crazy speeders have as few excuses to tailgate, weave in and out of traffic and cause problems as possible.

Somebody once told me about she kept her speed (the limit) as a kid was trying to pass her in a short lane. He hit a slippery patch going way too fast, spun out and landed in a ditch. She was pretty proud of herself - after all, she was the one not breaking the law. I asked her how good it would've felt if the kid would have injured or killed himself or someone else, and if not letting him get away with it would have been worth that. She had to admit that no, it wouldn't have been worth it, and that she'd never thought of it that way before.

1stTimeCaller
1/11/2008, 02:48 PM
You know what? I carry a million dollars worth of insurance. One of these days I'm going to put one of you,'I'm doing 75 passing a car that is doing 74 fuggers' into the wall.

You may not have broken one single law, but is it gonna be worth it?

SwitzerFan
1/11/2008, 02:50 PM
You know what? I carry a million dollars worth of insurance. One of these days I'm going to put one of you,'I'm doing 75 passing a car that is doing 74 fuggers' into the wall.

Will meeting bubba in prision be worth it?

royalfan5
1/11/2008, 02:51 PM
If wreckless drivers were summarily executed, I think it would vastly enhance the driving experience.

1stTimeCaller
1/11/2008, 02:53 PM

prove it was intentional. You don't get sent to prison for rear ending a guy.

mdklatt
1/11/2008, 02:54 PM

Look who you're asking.

SwitzerFan
1/11/2008, 02:55 PM
prove it was intentional. You don't get sent to prison for rear ending a guy.

Wow that is genius. I am sure it will work. Plus rear ending a guy doesn't sound good. :)

1stTimeCaller
1/11/2008, 02:57 PM
don't knock it till you've tried it!!

mdklatt
1/11/2008, 02:57 PM
prove it was intentional.

*cough*

SwitzerFan
1/11/2008, 02:58 PM
don't knock it till you've tried it!!

I'll pass my friend. :)

1stTimeCaller
1/11/2008, 02:59 PM
just do the passing a little faster, would ya?

;)

SwitzerFan
1/11/2008, 02:59 PM
just do the passing a little faster, would ya?

;)

Ok. I changed my mind guys. I think I will speed. I need to get out of here. :)

OCUDad
1/11/2008, 03:01 PM
Will meeting bubba in prision be worth it? It might be worth it if it isolates me from smug, self-important, holier-than-thou jerkwads who tell me “if you flash your lights at me, it will take me longer to move over.”

You haven’t the faintest clue why the person behind you is in a hurry. Their haste might be justifiable, or it might not. None of that is your business. Move the hell over and let them by. Take your soapbox somewhere else off the highway.

Some people just need killin’.

SleestakSooner
1/11/2008, 03:02 PM
Ok. I changed my mind guys. I think I will speed. I need to get out of here. :)

Cocaine is one hell of a drug! Go Speed Racer Go!:cool:

SwitzerFan
1/11/2008, 03:02 PM
It might be worth it if it isolates me from smug, self-important, holier-than-thou jerkwads who tell me “if you flash your lights at me, it will take me longer to move over.”

You haven’t the faintest clue why the person behind you is in a hurry. Their haste might be justifiable, or it might not. None of that is your business. Move the hell over and let them by. Take your soapbox somewhere else off the highway.

Some people just need killin’.

Wow. What can I say to that.

Mongo
1/11/2008, 03:06 PM
Wow. What can I say to that.

nothing, now get the **** out of the way

SwitzerFan
1/11/2008, 03:09 PM
nothing, now get the **** out of the way

Anything for you Mongo. :)

Mongo
1/11/2008, 03:12 PM
See, something to take away from this thread is that there are people out there that are willing to crap in their hands and use it as a projectile. Others will take a gang anal raping in prison for slamming you into the wall.

dont force these people to act on their craziness

Mjcpr
1/11/2008, 03:13 PM
You don't look so good.

Mongo
1/11/2008, 03:14 PM
it has been a rough week man, a rough week

TheHumanAlphabet
1/11/2008, 03:16 PM

I got pulled over in CT once for doing 75 in a 55 zone, but not to ticket me, but to scold me for not getting over so he could catch a 95er before he hit the RI state line. BTW, the cop car was unmarked, had no lights and I was passing a long line of way slower cars an couldn't get over. The cop only had flashing headlights. Like that told me a cop was chasing...

SwitzerFan
1/11/2008, 03:16 PM
See, something to take away from this thread is that there are people out there that are willing to crap in their hands and use it as a projectile. Others will take a gang anal raping in prison for slamming you into the wall.

dont force these people to act on their craziness

Now that there is funny, I don't care who you are!

TheHumanAlphabet
1/11/2008, 03:19 PM
The OHP has had thier plane in the air all morning around the 42 mile maker on I35 and have been pulling over cars left and right. I never heard them pick out a car going less than 80 and the top speed I heard them get a guy for was 94. If driving I35 today watchout around the 41-45 mile markers. That is all.

You got a scanner on them? Any busts for drugs?

Sooner_Bob
1/11/2008, 04:38 PM
But people who are "only" going the speed limit are, by definition, not impeding traffic.

Riiiight. We all know definition always agrees with reality. :D

Wasn't there a couple of drivers who thought it would be funny to "only" go the speed limit in both lanes of a major interstate many years ago?

I seem to recall them getting pulled over for impeding traffic.

(Could be an urban legend, but I thought it happened.)

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2008, 04:43 PM
I want to road rage right now. And I'm just laying on the couch.

Sooner_Bob
1/11/2008, 04:48 PM
You should've seem how mad I was while I was typing this . . .

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2006/09/roadRageMEN_600x486.jpg

Sooner_Bob
1/11/2008, 04:56 PM
Lighten up Francis (http://glumbert.com/media/baddayoffice)

Sooner24
1/12/2008, 12:23 AM
You got a scanner on them? Any busts for drugs?

I had my scanner on here at the office. No drug bust that I heard just lots of tickets.

jkjsooner
1/12/2008, 04:15 PM
Link (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/01/09/ross.ok.slow.drivers.beware.ktul)

Questions:

1. They state that the left lane is for passing and "people turning left." This implies this law applies to non-limited access roads as well. I disagree totally with that. In non-limited access roads with lots of intersections the left lane is NOT strictly a passing lane. In these cases there are many reasons a person may need to be in that lane.

2. What about left exits? I shouldn't have to speed up to 80 if I'm taking a left exit ramp. How long do I have? Is it okay to drive 1/2 mile in the left lane before the left exit? The last thing you want is slower drivers waiting until the last minute to get to the left for a left exit.

3. What about left entrances? Years ago I had a left entrance onto the capital beltway. I immediately sped up to 70 and put on my turn signal indicating I wanted to get to the right. Unfortunatly traffic was heavy and there was no room to get over. A jerk came up behind me and started flashing me. (This was within 1/2 mile of the left entrance.) I'm not going to drive 85 just to make the guy happy. As it was, I slowed down to 55 just to tick the guy off....

If they want to do this then they need to stop building left entrances and exits on the limited access roads.....

jkjsooner
1/12/2008, 04:25 PM
It totally gets under my skin when folks do that, or when folks wanting merge think that the yield sign is for those in the main flow of traffic.

Ever notice how a large percentage of people when merging just following the white line over and think it's your job to get out of their way? Yes, it is common courtesy to give them room to merge or get over so that they can do so. But that is only a courtesy. When you're merging you are the one who is yielding.

Things brings up one other situation. Let's say I'm driving 60 in a 55mph zone. I'm in the rightmost of two lanes. Traffic is heavy but not backed up. A car is about to merge so I get over in the left lane to allow them to enter the highway. I speed up to 65 so as not to inconvenience those in the left lane and signal my intention to get over to the right. However, I cannot do so immediately due to heavy traffic. I'm not willing to go 70 because I don't want to risk getting a ticket for going 15 mph over the speed limit. Will I get a ticket for being in the left lane? If so, to hell with letting mergers in. I'll stay where I'm at.

jkjsooner
1/12/2008, 04:34 PM

Agree 100%. The left lane is for passing but there is no God given right to go 95 in the left lane and to not have to temporarily slow down from time to time. Sometimes mere mortals going 75 need to pass as well.

sanantoniosooner
1/12/2008, 04:40 PM
It really is the job of all you slow pokes to teach us speeders a lesson.;)

SleestakSooner
1/12/2008, 04:47 PM
It really is the job of all us smart asses to teach u posters a lesson.;)

fixed :D

Chuck Bao
1/12/2008, 04:52 PM
I'm wondering how many of those complaining about left hand drivers are interstate commuters near OKC and how many are interstate drivers outside urban areas.

Over the Christmas break, my whole family went to an OU womens basketball game and I followed my bro in the second car. We went 80-90 mph the whole way from Ardmore to Norman. The courtesy and passing issue didn't really apply until near Norman and the traffic got worse.

The weird thing for me is that 80-90 seemed fast and in Thailand we typically go 150-160kph, which seems normal. I often go 120kph on my bike in the intercity.

Thailand already does this. I've never heard of anyone getting pulled over for speeding. I've had to pay fines several times for driving in the right lane (your left lane). Basically, it's so the rich and the connected can drive faster and we don't impede their travel.

I want to say this whole idea is wrong. The no speed limit and keeping the passing lane clear will lead to more traffic problems and accidents, not less.

Flashing the lights already work.

Turd_Ferguson
1/12/2008, 05:07 PM
This thread reminds me of a theory one of my friends had: Essentially he believed that road rage could be decreased if all cars had a "sorry I ****ed up light" on them. Because everybody occasionally will make a non-courteous move will driving, and having the ability to apologize to the other driver via light might calm people's **** down.

I know I can be ****ed as hell at the dumbass driver in front of me and then notice an OU insignia....they are immediatly forgiven:D

OUNC06
1/12/2008, 05:44 PM
I design roads and they are designed to handle traffic at a higher speed than the posted limit. It is not dangerous to speed up and break the speed limit to pass someone. You have to look at the spirit of a law and not the letter. Laws can not apply to every situation, and you have to use common sense. People staying in the left lane passing someone going 75 when the person in the right lane is going 74 is ignorant and dangerous. Speed up to 80 get around the person and get back in the right lane. Even if the law says the speed limit is 75; passing at 80 is safer and more courteous.

sanantoniosooner
1/12/2008, 06:14 PM
I design boogers and they are intended to flick at slower vehicles when you pass them.

jkjsooner
1/12/2008, 10:20 PM
I design roads and they are designed to handle traffic at a higher speed than the posted limit. It is not dangerous to speed up and break the speed limit to pass someone. You have to look at the spirit of a law and not the letter. Laws can not apply to every situation, and you have to use common sense. People staying in the left lane passing someone going 75 when the person in the right lane is going 74 is ignorant and dangerous. Speed up to 80 get around the person and get back in the right lane. Even if the law says the speed limit is 75; passing at 80 is safer and more courteous.

If you will guarantee that the cop will look at it the same way then I'll do it. I don't trust any cop to "look at the spirit of the law" or even believe me when I explain why I was doing 80. In Virginia I would be more likely to do what you say but back when I lived in Oklahoma I was stopped several times going less than 10 mph over the speed limit.

As for the ways roads are built, I understand that the Interstates are built with real specific safety margins but you can't assume that in normal highways. I've been on plenty of mountain roads where the speed limit on a turn is 35 and you darn well better slow down to 40 or under unless you want to end up falling down a cliff.

That's brings up another pet peeve of mine. People who feel that as long as they feel they're going a safe speed for the road they can completely ignore speed limits. Have they ever considered that the speed limit might be due to a blind intersection around the corner? I don't care if you can safely navigate the turn at twice the speed limit. Just don't get ticked when the guy pulls out in front of you because he couldn't see you going 70 through a 35 area.....

But that is a little off-topic....

sanantoniosooner
1/12/2008, 10:23 PM
About 15 years ago I had a trip through Arky and amused myself by doing twice the suggested speed on all the curvy signs.

Suck on that.

jkjsooner
1/12/2008, 10:30 PM
About 15 years ago I had a trip through Arky and amused myself by doing twice the suggested speed on all the curvy signs.

Suck on that.

Depends on where you are. In most they provide a large safety margin. I've seen a few, though, where there was very little margin.

So when you were going twice the speed limit around the curves, were you sure there wasn't an intersection or private drive right around the bend?

goingoneight
1/13/2008, 03:52 AM
I'll say this and this only... OUr company has 200 units out on the road and we averaged 25-30 reported accidents a year prior to 2005. We put governors on OUr trucks, and OUr drivers, who "have **** to do" and "get paid by the trip, not by the hour" cannot go over 75 in any of OUr trucks. These numbers are just the Tulsa fleet, the outside fleets will soon have transmission speed governors.

2005, we went from 28 accidents in '04 to four... that's right FOUR accidents in 2005.

2006, we had eight accidents.

2007's report is coming soon, but I believe it was three or four if I recall all the incidents correctly.

Same drivers, not as much speed as they once had, less trouble. And I love every damn minute of their whining about it.

Reported accidents are citations and such, not little "he scratched my car" "accidents."

mdklatt
1/13/2008, 10:27 PM
I design roads and they are designed to handle traffic at a higher speed than the posted limit.

What about the people using them? I don't trust most people's driving ability at 35 MPH, let alone 75 MPH.

Sooner_Bob
1/14/2008, 09:01 AM
What about the people using them? I don't trust most people's driving ability at 35 MPH, let alone 75 MPH.

You had a bad experience during Driver's Ed didn't you. :D

TheHumanAlphabet
1/14/2008, 09:38 AM
I used to floor the old driving similators through the neighborhood on that film. :D

That ticker tape sure was printing a lot then...

SwitzerFan
1/14/2008, 10:22 AM
If you will guarantee that the cop will look at it the same way then I'll do it. I don't trust any cop to "look at the spirit of the law" or even believe me when I explain why I was doing 80. In Virginia I would be more likely to do what you say but back when I lived in Oklahoma I was stopped several times going less than 10 mph over the speed limit.

As for the ways roads are built, I understand that the Interstates are built with real specific safety margins but you can't assume that in normal highways. I've been on plenty of mountain roads where the speed limit on a turn is 35 and you darn well better slow down to 40 or under unless you want to end up falling down a cliff.

That's brings up another pet peeve of mine. People who feel that as long as they feel they're going a safe speed for the road they can completely ignore speed limits. Have they ever considered that the speed limit might be due to a blind intersection around the corner? I don't care if you can safely navigate the turn at twice the speed limit. Just don't get ticked when the guy pulls out in front of you because he couldn't see you going 70 through a 35 area.....

But that is a little off-topic....

I agree. I don't know what each cop is thinking or how forgiving they will be. I do know what the limit is. I also do know that if I don't go above the limit I will be ok. So if the limit is 65 is 70 ok or is it 67 or is it 81. I mean there is a boundary of 65 so if it is not 65 then what is it. This same principle carries over into other aspects of life as well. There all always boundaries and rules and people try to push them. I choose not to gamble due to respect of the law.