PDA

View Full Version : Who Killed the Electric Car?

1stTimeCaller
1/10/2008, 11:04 AM
Has anyone seen this? I was talking to c_p about this the other day and I caught it on and DVR'd it. I'm now watching it and it is very interesting.

OU4LIFE
1/10/2008, 11:10 AM
bane him

Mongo
1/10/2008, 11:11 AM
he laid the vast conspiracy theories on me, I did like I always do, I ignored him

Howzit
1/10/2008, 11:14 AM
This sounds very interest...zzzzzzzz

Czar Soonerov
1/10/2008, 11:34 AM
Actually I've seen it and it is very interesting.

;)

frankensooner
1/10/2008, 11:48 AM
Yeah, it made me mad at the Saturn peeps! ;)

Miko
1/10/2008, 12:17 PM
they shouted out, "who killed the 'lectric car?" When afterall, it was you and me.

King Crimson
1/10/2008, 12:30 PM
they shouted out, "who killed the 'lectric car?" When afterall, it was you and me.

heh.

ADs_Agent
1/10/2008, 12:38 PM
I believe it was the Stone Cutters

Boarder
1/10/2008, 12:41 PM
So who did they say killt it?

frankensooner
1/10/2008, 12:45 PM
almost everyone involved I believe, from the government to the oil companies to the car companies.

Boarder
1/10/2008, 12:47 PM
I figured it was Jerry Hathaway.

I'm excited for when the Volt comes out.

StoopTroup
1/10/2008, 12:50 PM
I only know that video killed the radio star.

Miko
1/10/2008, 12:53 PM
I shot the sherriff, but I did not kill the 'lectric car!

Miko
1/10/2008, 12:58 PM
I figured it was Jerry Hathaway.

Killing it softly,

with his words?

Miko
1/10/2008, 01:00 PM
It coulda been Arlo Gurthrie. I remember once him saying he wanted to eat dead, burnt flesh, that he wanted veins in his teeth. Then he started jumping up and down screaming, "Kill, kill, kill!"

StoopTroup
1/10/2008, 01:07 PM
It feels so right to connect into your love

Charge me, Baby
Electric Boogaloo
I like you turn me on with just a single kiss
Charge me, Baby
Electric Boogaloo
You stimulate in such a way that you can hardly miss

Ah, your force is strong
It grows more everyday
Love the way your love is flowing through me

It's the way you talk
You're eatin' out my mind
And baby the way you walk it just enthuses me

(You're supercharged, it fills my heart, Baby)
The way your love is so energizing
(Electric burning touch, Oh I love so much, Baby)
Baby you spark the brand new start

(Now let me hold you)
Oooo, Ooooh
It feels so right to connect into your love

Charge me, Baby

Miko
1/10/2008, 04:37 PM
I watch tv. I know this case will come down to forenzic evidence. That'll tell us for sure.

Czar Soonerov
1/10/2008, 04:44 PM
I just freeze every time you see through me
And it's all over you, electric blue.
In too deep, standing here waiting
As I'm breaking in two, electric blue.
I can see, can see that it may be
Just a vision of you, electric blue.
On my knees, help me baby,
tell me what can I do, electric blue.

SicEmBaylor
1/10/2008, 04:49 PM
I can't figure out exactly who would use an electric car except for short-drive commuters.

How the hell do you drive across the state let alone the country in an electric car? Are you going to stop every couple hundred miles for 6 hours while your damned car recharges?

I don't think I could even drive from Waco to FTG on one charge.

OUT!

Hamhock
1/10/2008, 05:09 PM
I don't think I could even drive from Waco to FTG on one charge.

OUT!

especially since you would probably go through Phoenix to get there.

Whet
1/10/2008, 05:22 PM
It was Ron Paul, that's who killed it! (or was it a government conspiracy to make American's think it was Ron Paul?)

soonerboomer93
1/10/2008, 06:41 PM
i shot an 'lectric car in reno, just to watch it die

PhilTLL
1/10/2008, 06:43 PM
I can't figure out exactly who would use an electric car except for short-drive commuters.

Since there aren't millions of these in America, or anything.

SicEmBaylor
1/10/2008, 07:18 PM
Since there aren't millions of these in America, or anything.
How many of them ONLY make short commutes? I'd be willing to bet most of them take the occasional long car trip. That was my point -- the car limits you to VERY short distances.

1stTimeCaller
1/10/2008, 07:41 PM
Well SicEm, that's a great point. Why did GM use the inferior Delco battery in the EV1 when they could have used the much better battery developed by Stan Oshinski. GM bought a controlling share of his company. GM then sold their share to Chevron-Texaco. Hmmmmmm.

Per the Bureau of Transportation (per the movie) the average person drives 29 miles per day.

Why did GM, Honda, Ford, Toyota take all of the electric cars on the road and crush and shred them? They would not let people re-lease them. They crushed and shredded every electric car they had made.

Hmmmmmm.

Ike
1/11/2008, 12:48 AM
How many of them ONLY make short commutes? I'd be willing to bet most of them take the occasional long car trip. That was my point -- the car limits you to VERY short distances.
They don't limit you to VERY short distances. But they are limiting to some degree in the distance they would go...maybe me being in chicago and you being in waco, our concept of VERY short is quite different...I'd say 60 miles or so on one charge if the car is tuned for distance and not speed.

But my argument for the electric car is that for MOST people, in their daily travel, they go to and from work, and maybe pick up and drop the kids off here and there. In a typical american 2 car family, it might actually make more financial sense to buy two 'lectric cars for toodlin around town, and then either own one gas guzzler for the times you take longer trips, or if those trips are infrequent enough, to rent one instead.

Also, in the scenario where the 'lectric car becomes widely adopted, I could even see the range of them being extended through simple cleverness. If they are made with removable batteries, you might pull into your local pump-n-much (no joke, I saw a gas station called exactly that in Phoenix this fall), pay some amount to give them your drained battery in exchange for a battery that came from someone elses car which the station charged up and has waiting for you.

Hamhock
1/11/2008, 09:11 AM
Well SicEm, that's a great point. Why did GM use the inferior Delco battery in the EV1 when they could have used the much better battery developed by Stan Oshinski. GM bought a controlling share of his company. GM then sold their share to Chevron-Texaco. Hmmmmmm.

Per the Bureau of Transportation (per the movie) the average person drives 29 miles per day.

Why did GM, Honda, Ford, Toyota take all of the electric cars on the road and crush and shred them? They would not let people re-lease them. They crushed and shredded every electric car they had made.

Hmmmmmm.

clearly, George Bush is at the bottom of this.

1stTimeCaller
1/11/2008, 09:18 AM
he was mentioned in the movie.

;)

OklahomaTuba
1/11/2008, 10:11 AM
PNAC!!!!!

lectriccartruth.com

frankensooner
1/11/2008, 10:29 AM
I've read that the range on the new batteries is much further than you would imagine. The original E cars would get up to 60 miles on a charge, but the new "super" batteries get 3 times the range. The technology just gets better and better.

Boarder
1/11/2008, 11:35 AM
That's the beauty behind the new GM Volt coming out. It has battery power that will go like 40 miles. It also has a small 1 liter engine that runs a generator. If the battery gets too low, the generator will kick on and recharge the battery. If you only have to drive 40 miles a day or less on a charge you basically never use any gas. If you want to go on a trip you get 650 miles on 12 gallons of gas.

I checked the other day and I drive about 43 miles per day. The 40 miles per day thing was researched and it covers the vast majority of commuters. If you can plug in the car at work (like I could), that doubles. I totally plan on getting a Volt when they come out (hopefully) in 2010. I think it's a fantastic idea.

OU4LIFE
1/11/2008, 12:14 PM
That's the beauty behind the new GM Volt coming out. It has battery power that will go like 40 miles. It also has a small 1 liter engine that runs a generator. If the battery gets too low, the generator will kick on and recharge the battery. If you only have to drive 40 miles a day or less on a charge you basically never use any gas. If you want to go on a trip you get 650 miles on 12 gallons of gas.

I checked the other day and I drive about 43 miles per day. The 40 miles per day thing was researched and it covers the vast majority of commuters. If you can plug in the car at work (like I could), that doubles. I totally plan on getting a Volt when they come out (hopefully) in 2010. I think it's a fantastic idea.

please turn in your man card at the panty counter.

real man burn fossil fuels, to hell with the environment.

IB4OU2
1/11/2008, 12:27 PM

Cool, I drive about 150 a day....I'd only need to fill-up 1.15 times a week at a cost of around $42.

Boarder
1/11/2008, 12:41 PM

Go hate the Earth on your own time. I have some cans to recycle.

OU4LIFE
1/11/2008, 01:10 PM
I'm sorry SarahBoarder, did you say something, I couldn't hear you over the sound of my V8

OUDoc
1/11/2008, 01:20 PM

What happened to the Boarder that cooks meat with fire and smoke?

OU4LIFE
1/11/2008, 01:21 PM
apparently, he was about as real as SoonerWill

Condescending Sooner
1/11/2008, 01:55 PM
They don't limit you to VERY short distances. But they are limiting to some degree in the distance they would go...maybe me being in chicago and you being in waco, our concept of VERY short is quite different...I'd say 60 miles or so on one charge if the car is tuned for distance and not speed.

But my argument for the electric car is that for MOST people, in their daily travel, they go to and from work, and maybe pick up and drop the kids off here and there. In a typical american 2 car family, it might actually make more financial sense to buy two 'lectric cars for toodlin around town, and then either own one gas guzzler for the times you take longer trips, or if those trips are infrequent enough, to rent one instead.

Also, in the scenario where the 'lectric car becomes widely adopted, I could even see the range of them being extended through simple cleverness. If they are made with removable batteries, you might pull into your local pump-n-much (no joke, I saw a gas station called exactly that in Phoenix this fall), pay some amount to give them your drained battery in exchange for a battery that came from someone elses car which the station charged up and has waiting for you.

You serious Clark? Electric cars have a LOT of batteries, not just one you can take out at a moments notice.

Hamhock
1/11/2008, 02:08 PM
I'm sorry SarahBoarder, did you say something, I couldn't hear you over the sound of my V8

mmm..V8, salt, tobasco....

Miko
1/11/2008, 02:11 PM
mmm..V8, salt, tobasco....

Leave room for the vodka!!!!:D

Ike
1/11/2008, 02:44 PM
You serious Clark? Electric cars have a LOT of batteries, not just one you can take out at a moments notice.

Ok, so maybe the stops for 'gas' might take a few minutes time, and some heavy lifting, but its not impossible.

Boarder
1/11/2008, 03:09 PM
I use organic charcoal now.

SoonerTerry
1/11/2008, 03:12 PM
This should be a pole

frankensooner
1/11/2008, 03:15 PM
This should be a pole
meh, poles are for loosers! ;)

Boarder
1/11/2008, 04:49 PM
The more I think about it, "Sarahboarder" really cracks me up. I know a girl named Sarah and her sister is a mega hippie. Makes me look like OU4Life. And we know how horrid that would be.

OUDoc
1/11/2008, 10:09 PM
http://www.weirdwildrealm.com/filmimages/harryhendersons.jpg

OU4LIFE
1/14/2008, 08:42 AM
can you make my package a little bigger, doc? thanks.

OU4LIFE
1/14/2008, 08:46 AM
Ok, so maybe the stops for 'gas' might take a few minutes time, and some heavy lifting, but its not impossible.

impossible? no. Unrealistic? Entirely. The sheer SIZE of a storage facility large enough to hold as many batteries as that is just mind boggling. Not to mention the amount of fossil fuels it would take to run a battery charging facility of that size.

OUDoc
1/14/2008, 09:08 AM
can you make my package a little bigger, doc? thanks.
You'll have to take me out for dinner and drinks first.

OU4LIFE
1/14/2008, 10:17 AM
deal, but you drive a hard bargain.

sooneron
1/14/2008, 02:24 PM
When these guys

http://www.teslamotors.com/

make their sedan that they're talking about- IN!

Howzit
1/14/2008, 02:37 PM
deal, but you drive a hard organ.

fixed.

OUDoc
1/14/2008, 02:39 PM
He already knew that.

Howzit
1/14/2008, 02:51 PM
He already blew that.

fixed.

OU4LIFE