PDA

View Full Version : The 9/13 PAC-10 Washington game

MamaMia
1/10/2008, 10:42 AM
We have that game scheduled to be played in Seattle. Didn't I hear that OUs position on playing this game was that we would not do so unless they changed up the officials they use? Any news on that?

MojoRisen
1/10/2008, 10:53 AM
I would hope the Pac 10 would agree to bring in the big 12 reffs for a home game for them.

If not - I would consider canceling the game and replace them with an SEC, Big East team.

Not for nothing but- it is clear the PAC 10 officials are biassed. I am sure Washington U would understand our concerns.

XingTheRubicon
1/10/2008, 11:31 AM
Let's go anyway and score a TD on 1st and 3 from the 3 this time.

85sooners
1/10/2008, 11:42 AM
lets play usc

soonerhubs
1/10/2008, 11:47 AM
lets play usc
I second that motion.

cvsooner
1/10/2008, 12:24 PM
I don't believe it was officially the position of the school. I know Stoops and Boren expressed their frustration following the Oregon debacle and said they might consider not going to Washington or cancelling the game. I don't see that happening. I doubt the Pac 10 will agree to their demands. But I'm sure the Pac 10 will recognize there will be enormous scrutiny on their officials for that game, following the 2006 disaster.

OUMedMan
1/10/2008, 12:57 PM
Do you think Stoops or Boren have enough guts to cancel a game like that?

cvsooner
1/10/2008, 01:06 PM
No.

OKC-SLC
1/10/2008, 01:13 PM
Let's go anyway and score a TD on 1st and 3 from the 3 this time.
seconded.

TUSooner
1/10/2008, 01:14 PM
Do you think Stoops or Boren have enough guts to cancel a game like that?
The proper question is, "Are they such bratty, petulant, cry-babies that they would cancel this game?" The answer again is "NO."

Go anywhere.
Play anybody.
Kick their asz.

That is all.

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2008, 01:23 PM
Tell you what: OU cancels this game and I'm sending Boren a bill for my already-purchased plane ticket.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/10/2008, 01:32 PM
It'll be hard for the refs to be much of a factor in the game if we take care of business and stomp them by 3 TD's.

Not saying we're that much better than them, especially at their place. But if Stoops wants to make sure his team has the right mindset he'll tell them that they need to conduct themselves in such a manner that the refs can't influence the outcome.

Aries
1/10/2008, 01:46 PM
I don't remember the university saying anything about cancelling the game. I just remember a bunch of fans on we sites saying they thought OU should cancel.

Collier11
1/10/2008, 01:51 PM
If we cant go to Washington and win against the team they currently have(bad refs or not) and win by 10-20 pts then we dont deserve to be in the natl title discussion. PERIOD!

Sooner98
1/10/2008, 02:23 PM
If we cant go to Washington and win against the team they currently have(bad refs or not) and win by 10-20 pts then we dont deserve to be in the natl title discussion. PERIOD!

Amen to that. Learn how to play well on the road against mediocre competition, for crying out loud.

colleyvillesooner
1/10/2008, 02:23 PM
I don't remember the university saying anything about cancelling the game. I just remember a bunch of fans on we sites saying they thought OU should cancel.

Incorrect.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2003265912_webokla19.html

NORMAN, Okla. – Oklahoma would consider canceling its game at Washington in 2008 if the Pacific 10 Conference doesn't change its rule requiring league officials to be used at its home stadiums, Sooners coach Bob Stoops said today.

The Sooners lost 34-33 at Oregon on Saturday, and Pac-10 commissioner Tom Hansen has since said that two incorrect calls by the league's officials on Oregon's behalf changed the outcome of the game.

On Monday, Oklahoma president David Boren sent a letter to Big 12 commissioner Kevin Weiberg asking him to pursue having the Pac-10 remove its officiating policy.

"I think there's no question that (athletic director) Joe Castiglione and I and President Boren, if that rule is not changed that we may reconsider that game, and I think it's justified. We'll look into that."

Oklahoma defeated Washington 37-20 on Sept. 9 in the first game of the home-and-home series.

The Sooners also played a home-and-home series against UCLA of the Pac-10 in 2003 and 2005. The game at Oregon concluded a series that began in Norman in 2004.

MojoRisen
1/10/2008, 02:32 PM
I would not play them unless they have Big 12 reffs like all other conferences who have an out of conference schedule and home games - allow the other conference officiating to come in.

What is the deal- cancel and schedule another conference

Curly Bill
1/10/2008, 03:29 PM
What is the deal- cancel and schedule another conference

Can we please play just one team at a time? :D

sanantoniosooner
1/10/2008, 03:32 PM
The "deal" is that Washington fulfilled their part of the bargain.

Our agreement is with UW not with the Pac10. If we choose not to play Pac10 teams after this, that's fine. But we need to follow through with our commitments. Especially when we have already cashed in on our end of it.

soonerhubs
1/10/2008, 03:41 PM
I support the BIG 12 officiating this game, only if it's that "Bible" crew. ;)

Salt City Sooner
1/10/2008, 06:22 PM
I don't believe it was officially the position of the school. I know Stoops and Boren expressed their frustration following the Oregon debacle and said they might consider not going to Washington or cancelling the game. I don't see that happening. I doubt the Pac 10 will agree to their demands. But I'm sure the Pac 10 will recognize there will be enormous scrutiny on their officials for that game, following the 2006 disaster.
& you'd be correct. The Pac-10 voted last off season to keep their current policy in place.

oldman2
1/10/2008, 07:24 PM
who officialed the Washington game here?

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2008, 07:38 PM
who officialed the Washington game here?

Big 12 officials.

oupride
1/11/2008, 11:44 AM
The Pac 10 makes an exception on officiating for one team, Notre Dame. Its time they extend that courtesy to all teams, especially Oklahoma.

Sooner24
1/12/2008, 12:20 AM
Tell you what: OU cancels this game and I'm sending Boren a bill for my already-purchased plane ticket.

Get in line. ;)

TheBigRedMachine
1/12/2008, 09:20 AM
Some of you are talking like it would be a more fairly officiated game with Big 12 refs. I don't know who I would be more scared of officiating that game, the Big 12 or Pac 10.

bluedogok
1/12/2008, 11:55 AM
The Pac 10 makes an exception on officiating for one team, Notre Dame. Its time they extend that courtesy to all teams, especially Oklahoma.
Most schools agree on which officials are doing the game, whether it is the vistor's or home team's conference crew or a crew from another conference. I believe the Pac 10 is the only conference that demands their officials do their out of conference games at home.

I would think a Jon Bible or Randy Christal crew would be better than any Pac 10 crew.