PDA

View Full Version : What you liked about West Virginia...

goingoneight
1/9/2008, 09:41 PM
Granted, not many are happy to even acknowledge TGWWDNSO2 just yet... but I just thought I'd get your inputs.

You can say their motivation, but eh... we've been motivated before and WVU has played like crap before, too. Like... December 1st, 2007 for example.

Defensively: I have to say their normal blitz package was better than us picking different packages every down.

Offensively: we're worlds better throwing the ball, but IMHO, we need to be creative with OUr running game like they were. Two back sets, option tosses, quick toss-sweeps, misdirection, delayed QB draws (wait for the defense to blitz and take off past them. OUr OL is just a unit that relies on size for pass protection and off-tackle/up the gut I-formation runs. It wouldn't have killed to run something like a halfback pass play, too. I like OUr style out of the I, but something besides middle punches and delayed draws from the gun might have worked or at least thrown them (and others) off balance.

Whet
1/9/2008, 10:12 PM
what I liked about West Virginia......... I liked the drive down I-77 South from Charleston, WV to Stoney Gap. It was a very scenic drive we made back in 2004 in a two-seater we had at the time, which ended up as the last road trip in that car....

Curly Bill
1/9/2008, 10:36 PM
I like that they didn't take our lunch money when they were done kicking our arses. :P

OUinFLA
1/9/2008, 10:42 PM
I like that they didn't take our lunch money when they were done kicking our arses. :P

I hate missing a meal

hink4769
1/9/2008, 10:45 PM
I think their unique offense and athleticism gives them an advantage over teams that haven't seen them before. Against us and against Georgia a couple years ago, their offense looked pretty awesome. I think with the right adjustments on defense they can be beaten. Georgia slowed them down in the Sugar Bowl a couple years ago after their fast start, but not enough to win the game though. The Big East teams have adjusted too, after playing them a few times, WVU by no means dominates that conference. Unfortunatley we weren't able to do the same thing in the Fiesta.

85sooners
1/9/2008, 10:50 PM
:hot:

Curly Bill
1/9/2008, 10:58 PM
I think their unique offense and athleticism gives them an advantage over teams that haven't seen them before.

Only having a month to prepare for their offense obviously cost us. ;)

...and our defense is as athletic as any in the country, with the possible exceptions of LSU and USC. Also remember one of their athletic dynamos: Steve Slaton, hardly saw the field.

You are right, they definitely had an advantage on our defense, and I've not been shy about pointing out what (who) I think that is. :D

OU Adonis
1/9/2008, 11:07 PM
I have always loved their style of offense. But I love to run the ball. I keep telling people that you can win with an offense that runs the ball most of the time.

Curly Bill
1/9/2008, 11:10 PM
I have always loved their style of offense. But I love to run the ball. I keep telling people that you can win with an offense that runs the ball most of the time.

Yeah, but you normally have to hold the opponent considerably under 48 points to do so. :D

KC//CRIMSON
1/9/2008, 11:10 PM
How they looked like hammered dog *hit against Pitt and then played OU like they were the f-ing New England Patriots.

Best *possum* act ever. Brilliant!

sanantoniosooner
1/9/2008, 11:19 PM
I thought it was cool how they could avoid tripping over our jock straps on those 70 yard runs.

BoulderSooner79
1/9/2008, 11:26 PM
I haven't seen a running QB that elusive since Jamelle Hollowie. It's a joy to watch when they are on your side.

KantoSooner
1/9/2008, 11:26 PM
that they pay for stuff they leave the mall with.

BoulderSooner79
1/9/2008, 11:27 PM
that they pay for stuff they leave the mall with, dammit.

Fixed. You ended that sentence with a preposition.

Curly Bill
1/9/2008, 11:28 PM
that they pay for stuff they leave the mall with.

Ahhhh, that just means they ain't gangsta. :D

KantoSooner
1/9/2008, 11:31 PM
Fixed. You ended that sentence with a preposition.

that they leave the mall having paid for the merchandise with which they leave.

More elegant that way, damnit.

KC//CRIMSON
1/9/2008, 11:32 PM
I like how they stayed academically eligible too.....

Blues1
1/10/2008, 01:21 AM
They have Fullbacks that can run and score....!

SoonerKnight
1/10/2008, 01:35 AM
They have Fullbacks that can run and score....!

FB that runs slow and scores...................

Harry Beanbag
1/10/2008, 07:22 AM
I haven't seen a running QB that elusive since Jamelle Hollowie. It's a joy to watch when they are on your side.

Worst attempt at spelling a player's name correctly ever.

tbl
1/10/2008, 08:52 AM
:D :D :D

Jason White's Third Knee
1/10/2008, 09:03 AM
I like the country roads and the mountain mamas.

redhawk49
1/10/2008, 10:24 AM
I like that they are consistent. They drilled us in 1981 (?) in Norman against the King and they drilled us in the Fiesta bowl against Bob. Two of our best coaches ever!

MojoRisen
1/10/2008, 10:49 AM
Good Trout and Small Mouth Bass Fishing. Easy Women who are slightly hillbilish but kind of cute.

sanantoniosooner
1/10/2008, 10:55 AM
I like that they are consistent. They drilled us in 1981 (?) in Norman against the King and they drilled us in the Fiesta bowl against Bob. Two of our best coaches ever!
I will agree with you since it's illegal to disagree.

Partial Qualifier
1/10/2008, 11:09 AM
Offensively: we're worlds better throwing the ball, but IMHO, we need to be creative with OUr running game like they were.

Why do you hate that telegraphed sweep play we insisted on running over & over?

BoulderSooner79
1/10/2008, 12:46 PM

Everything about him was elusive.

Desert Sapper
1/10/2008, 01:17 PM
I thought Wheeling was a pretty town. Just down the road from Pennsylvania on the Ohio border on 70. West Virginia guardsmen are also very friendly, sharing their 'tater juice' around a pot-bellied stove while belting out their own unique versions of 'Country Roads'.

zeke
1/10/2008, 02:51 PM
I like the country roads and the mountain mamas.

Mountain mamas yea

Falconnius
1/10/2008, 03:12 PM
I liked the story in We Are Marshall about the helmet tribute and sharing of film and info on the Veer option!

large orange
1/10/2008, 03:15 PM
I like how even :dolemite: their cheerleaders scored with ou.

bri
1/10/2008, 03:39 PM
I loved the passion they showed. Dude torches us for a 70 yard touchdown catch and run? He bawls like a baby for ten minutes afterwards because it meant so much to him. Big lumbering fullback scores on a 56 yard run? Can't conduct a postgame interview because he keeps getting overcome with emotion. THAT'S what college football is supposed to be about, not guaranteed contracts and gift bags and showing up to collect a bowl paycheck.

I remember when we had that sort of passion for competing. Had.

TopDawg
1/10/2008, 03:41 PM
I thought Wheeling was a pretty town. Just down the road from Pennsylvania on the Ohio border on 70. West Virginia guardsmen are also very friendly, sharing their 'tater juice' around a pot-bellied stove while belting out their own unique versions of 'Country Roads'.

Wheeling is a neat town. I loved my visit there.

WVSooner
1/10/2008, 07:11 PM
what I liked about West Virginia......... I liked the drive down I-77 South from Charleston, WV to Stoney Gap. It was a very scenic drive we made back in 2004 in a two-seater we had at the time, which ended up as the last road trip in that car....

That's my neck of the woods. It is a nice drive. However, I like driving north through there and then taking a left turn through Kentucky, heading home to Oklahoma. ;)

I have had no peace since that game. Everyone knows I'm a Sooner and that game will haunt me as long as I live here.

Desert Sapper
1/10/2008, 11:05 PM
That's my neck of the woods. It is a nice drive. However, I like driving north through there and then taking a left turn through Kentucky, heading home to Oklahoma. ;)

I have had no peace since that game. Everyone knows I'm a Sooner and that game will haunt me as long as I live here.

Sorry to hear about all that. You just have to come to terms with two things:

1) It's only a game.

2) The Mountaineers deserve to enjoy every bit of their victory

Give credit where it's due around WV fans, but know in your heart that no matter who is talking smack, it's always better to be a Sooner.

wishbonesooner
1/11/2008, 10:03 AM
"I think with the right adjustments on defense they can be beaten. "

So, you're saying we'll never beat them with BV?

sooneron
1/11/2008, 10:05 AM
When they aren't playing us, they are a fun team to watch. They have moxie and sticktoitiveness. They have resolve. :les:

GrapevineSooner
1/11/2008, 10:25 AM
I thought it was nice of them to at least apply the KY Jelly first.

And for you hockey fans out there, Doug Sauter once coached in Wheeling.

MamaMia
1/11/2008, 10:34 AM
:les: I like their resolve.

effay
1/11/2008, 02:31 PM
As a true believer in zone blocking, I loved West Virginia's offense and I can't wait to see what Rod can accomplish with it a Michigan.

I think a lot of people are confused about how the zone works. Many posters don't credit the zone blocking scheme but rather 'misdirection plays' for WV's success. Technically they are right in a sense, but I think what they don't highlight or realize is that the misdirection is inherent in every play that uses zone blocking. That's what makes it so effective.

When WV runs a zone-read play and hands to the RB, the RB can run through any crease in the line that he wants to. How can the defense get a jump on where the run is going when even the RB doesn't know until the moment he cuts upfield?

There is certainly something to be said for the read element in many of their plays, but even teams that don't have a read element are massively successful with zone. The Denver Broncos, for instance, hold the off-side end with the threat of a PA roll-out.

Don't get me wrong though, I hate it when we run the zone with our massive linemen. It's pitiful. Zone blocking requires agile linemen that aren't so big that they fill up any crease that develops. I have no clue why our Northwestern crew keeps calling zone runs this year; they never work.

If we want to run zone plays we need to recruit for that and do it more often so that our players are good at it; if not, our Northwestern crew needs to get our huge linemen to finally block their size and stop calling plays that require Duke to pull and run across the formation before the RB gets there.

BoulderSooner79
1/11/2008, 04:34 PM
As a true believer in zone blocking, I loved West Virginia's offense and I can't wait to see what Rod can accomplish with it a Michigan.

I think a lot of people are confused about how the zone works. Many posters don't credit the zone blocking scheme but rather 'misdirection plays' for WV's success. Technically they are right in a sense, but I think what they don't highlight or realize is that the misdirection is inherent in every play that uses zone blocking. That's what makes it so effective.

When WV runs a zone-read play and hands to the RB, the RB can run through any crease in the line that he wants to. How can the defense get a jump on where the run is going when even the RB doesn't know until the moment he cuts upfield?

There is certainly something to be said for the read element in many of their plays, but even teams that don't have a read element are massively successful with zone. The Denver Broncos, for instance, only hold the off-side end with the threat of a roll-out.

Don't get me wrong though, I hate it when we run the zone with our massive linemen. It's pitiful. Zone blocking requires agile linemen that aren't so big that they fill up any crease that develops. I have no clue why our Northwestern crew keeps calling zone runs this year; they never work.

If we want to run zone plays we need to recruit for that and do it more often so that our players are good at it; if not, our Northwestern crew needs to get our huge linemen to finally block their size.

Exellent post, IMHO! I was a Bronco fan during the Elway/Davis days and they ran zone blocking to perfection. And they had the *smallest* line in the NFL at an average of 285lbs. I get so sick of hearing announcers talk about our huge line or running behind 700lbs on the left side should be easy. Big guys are great for pass blocking where their main job is to be impossible to move and very hard to go around. Tech's line was about the same size as ours and they didn't even ask their guys to run block.

Dan Thompson
1/11/2008, 04:39 PM
Have you ever made a Clafouti?

effay
1/11/2008, 08:04 PM
Exellent post, IMHO! I was a Bronco fan during the Elway/Davis days and they ran zone blocking to perfection. And they had the *smallest* line in the NFL at an average of 285lbs. I get so sick of hearing announcers talk about our huge line or running behind 700lbs on the left side should be easy. Big guys are great for pass blocking where their main job is to be impossible to move and very hard to go around. Tech's line was about the same size as ours and they didn't even ask their guys to run block.

Love the Broncos!! No matter how much they suck this year, it never gets old seeing crappy undrafted backs gashing defenses running behind 2nd day linemen. Wouldn't it be great to be an NFL head coach and know that you never needed to waste a first day pick on a RB or lineman? Too bad the Broncos are still the worst drafting team even with that advantage.

bri
1/11/2008, 09:13 PM
Yeah, we need to think about de-emphasizing "big linemen" if we want to not get it handed to us again and again on national TV. Watching the WVU defensive line constantly running around our slow, lumbering protection kept reminding me of those 80's games against Miami that led to the "death of the wishbone".

MichiganSooner
1/12/2008, 09:45 PM
Absolutely nuthin.

Crucifax Autumn
1/13/2008, 01:58 AM
I absolutely ADORED their ability to be a big underdog to us, paving the way to a huge OU victory that would be a great preview of next season.

Unfortunately the bastards let me down and played a tough game. A-holes!

stoops the eternal pimp
1/14/2008, 06:04 PM
The only thing I ve ever liked about WV was Major Harris

goingoneight
1/15/2008, 12:13 AM
OUr size at the OL is like having five weak-side pass-blockers. I said it before, I'll say it again. Josh Heupel would have LOVED that offensive line for his style of offense. We need a little more quickness and athleticism on the right side it seems. Even though Loadholt makes a lot of flase starts, we need a big guy like him to protect Sam's blind side.

Crucifax Autumn
1/15/2008, 02:05 AM
I think the false starts will lessen next year. Between coaching him all spring in that department and what I hope will be a faster moving offense Loadholt should get better at staying put until the snap.

Curly Bill
1/15/2008, 10:05 AM
what I hope will be a faster moving offense

This would be sweet.