PDA

View Full Version : A good deed request

SOONER STEAKER
1/9/2008, 08:12 PM
There is a lady down the street who is 90+ years old who lives with her son. There front yard has 6in of leaves and the grass has not been cut for many years. Today as I walked by I was just amazed at how bad the lawn looked. It is a fire hazard for both houses on each side as the grass in the back yard is 6ft tall.

The ladies next door neighbor stopped by this afternoon and asked me if I would rack the leaves and she would pay me for my services. I went with the neighbor and noticed that the ladies wood shack shingles are gone in certain areas on the back of the house. Water must be flowing thru as the some of the soffits are just hanging down. The fence is also rotted out as well.

Tomorrow, at the break of dawn I'm going to go and rake the lawn and run the lawnmower over the yard once the leaves have been picked up.

My question to some people on here is this: Is there anyone who knows a roofer who would like to donate some wood shack shingles and some time to help this lady out as I know she doesn't have the money to have the work done.

If you know a roofer or are a a roofer who might be interested in helping this lady, please email me so we can get together and help this elderly lady out.

Thanks in advance!!

tommie15
1/9/2008, 08:13 PM
Why do you want to kill her? :confused:

mdklatt
1/9/2008, 08:24 PM
Why do you want to kill her? :confused:

She's 90+ years old, she doesn't have long anyway. ;)

Also, what?? :confused:

olevetonahill
1/9/2008, 08:39 PM
Where Yall live ?

SOONER STEAKER
1/9/2008, 08:41 PM
NW Hiway and Indepenence by Baptist Hospital

olevetonahill
1/9/2008, 09:20 PM
NW Hiway and Indepenence by Baptist Hospital
what town ?

SOONER STEAKER
1/9/2008, 09:23 PM
OKC

olevetonahill
1/9/2008, 09:26 PM
OKC
Ok how big an area ya think ?

SOONER STEAKER
1/9/2008, 09:29 PM
Just a couple shingles rm what I saw over the fence.

Okla-homey
1/9/2008, 09:38 PM
is the son a tard or something?

SOONER STEAKER
1/9/2008, 09:44 PM
Yep, sits on his kister. I think omething is wrong with him mentally

OCUDad
1/9/2008, 09:51 PM
Yep, sits on his kister. I think omething is wrong with him mentallyYou live next door to sas's mom? :eek:

olevetonahill
1/9/2008, 10:14 PM
is the son a tard or something?
That or he could be 70 or more and in bad health

SoonerGirl06
1/9/2008, 10:19 PM
SS if I had the network or contacts to help with your request, I would. But if there is some other way that I can help, please let me know.

I truly hope someone on here will be able to honor your good deed request.

Kudos to you for showing compassion and concern for this woman.

Okla-homey
1/9/2008, 10:20 PM
That or he could be 70 or more and in bad health

Pawpaw Homey put an entire new roof on his house in Ardmore two July's before he died at age 84.

Just saying.

That said, there are church groups who do this sort of thing for old folks. Might be worth checking with a couple of the nearest ones to her home.

SOONER STEAKER
1/9/2008, 10:32 PM
I thought about that Okla-homey, but the neighbor has told me that they won't accept help. That's why I want to surprise them and just do it without them realizing what's going on until the work is done.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll keep all updated.

SOONER STEAKER
1/10/2008, 10:15 PM
What a day. 42 bags of leaves, the 55gl size bags and I'm only 1/2 thru. I have never seen so many leaves in my life. This yard could pass as a forest. The roof is worse than I thought. The only option is a new roof, I'm gonna try to talk to the homeowners to see how bad this roof leaks.

The easiest way to do the leaves would be to call the fire department and do a controlled burn. but this is OKC.

SoonerGirl06
1/10/2008, 11:57 PM
What about one of those heavy duty leave sucker-uppers? Would that work better?

Have you considered talking to some of the local businesses to see it they would be willing to help in some way?

SOONER STEAKER
1/11/2008, 12:15 AM
Alot of these leaves are so moist they are too heavy for a leaf sucker. I shoukld finsih with phane 1 tomorrow. My neighbor who is a fireman said he could get some of his friends to help with the roof.

Thx for the suggestions SG06. spek for you. Not much spek, my hammer is very small, it couldn't drive a penny nail into sheetrock.

olevetonahill
1/11/2008, 01:56 AM
What a day. 42 bags of leaves, the 55gl size bags and I'm only 1/2 thru. I have never seen so many leaves in my life. This yard could pass as a forest. The roof is worse than I thought. The only option is a new roof, I'm gonna try to talk to the homeowners to see how bad this roof leaks.

The easiest way to do the leaves would be to call the fire department and do a controlled burn. but this is OKC.

Do you have to be licensed in the city to do a reroof ?

SOONER STEAKER
1/22/2008, 07:48 PM
UPDATE: My crew and I just completed the backyard and man was it a mess. The lady who lives in the house was unaware that her roof was in such bad shape, literally 70-80 shingles gone and rain would just poor into the soffits. It also gave cats an opportunity to have a nice place to live at night.

The lady next door also learned that the homeowner has insurance and the reason why a new room hasn't been put on is because she can't afford the $3,000 deductible.

So to make this story have a great ending, once the city removes the debris in the front yard, the neighbor will pay the deductible so this lady and her son can have a new roof to go along with her clean front and backyard.

1/22/2008, 07:52 PM
Beautiful. Nice work. This should be added to some sort of permanent archive thing. What a great story.

SoonerGirl06
1/22/2008, 08:00 PM
What a wonderful story to hear! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Kudos to you, your crew and the neighbor for doing something positive and making a difference to someone's life.