PDA

View Full Version : PETE CARROLL offered full control of Falcons?

BIG_IKE
1/9/2008, 07:43 PM
This could be interesting...

Southern California coach Pete Carroll is interested in the Falcons' head coach opening and spoke with Atlanta owner Arthur Blank via phone Wednesday, sources at the American Football Coaches Convention in Anaheim told ESPN's Joe Schad.

Blank, who has also been searching for a general mangager, was expected to offer full control of personnel decisions to Carroll, and the sources said that is what intrigues Carroll most. The coach is currently on vacation in Hawaii.

The Falcons' interest in talking to Carroll about their opening was first reported Tuesday night by ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli.

Carroll spoke with USC sports information director Tim Tessalone on Wednesday and reiterated the he "understands that his name is going to come up for NFL jobs, as it has in each of his past years here, but that he was not going to comment about NFL openings because it would just lead to speculation."

Carroll, who has previously been a head coach in the NFL with the New York Jets and New England Patriots, is the biggest name on the list of Atlanta candidates.

Carroll, 56, recently completed his seventh season at Southern California with a resounding victory over Illinois in the Rose Bowl. He has led the Trojans to two national championships and compiled a 76-14 record. The 14 defeats have been by an average of just 4.1 points.

Southern California was 11-2 this season and many observers felt that, had it not been for injuries, the Trojans might have vied for the national title. Carroll's .844 winning mark at Southern California is the best in the nation among active coaches with at least five seasons of experience.

Over the past few seasons, there has been rampant speculation that Carroll might be lured back to the NFL, but he has rebuffed all overtures to return to the pro game. Conventional wisdom is that Carroll would only consider an NFL job if he had full control over the football operation.

In his first NFL head coaching stint, Carroll lasted just one season with the Jets, taking the team to a 6-10 record in 1994. He coached the Patriots for three seasons, 1997-99, and was 28-23, with one division title and two playoff berths.

The Falcons suffered a bad experience this season with a coach hired from the college ranks, when Bobby Petrino, formerly of Louisville, resigned with three games remaining to fill the Arkansas vacancy. But unlike Petrino, who had been an NFL assistant for three seasons, Carroll has prior head coaching experience in the league and was an assistant coach and defensive coordinator for 12 years as well.

In the past, Carroll has listened to NFL interest from Miami, San Diego, San Francisco, Arizona and Houston.

Former general manager Rich McKay was offered a two-year extension to remain as president through 2010.

Philadelphia general manager Tom Heckert interviewed with team officials Monday.

The Falcons have interviewed at least three coaching candidates: Dallas offensive coordinator Jason Garrett and two assistant head coaches, Jim Caldwell of Indianapolis and Tony Sparano of the Cowboys.

The Falcons plan to interview Jaguars defensive coordinator Mike Smith and Tennessee defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3188045

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/9/2008, 07:52 PM
This could be interesting...-Snip-
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3188045
GO GO GO and never ever look back.

1/9/2008, 07:43 PM #1
BIG_IKE
Sooner Starter

vCash: 500

Omg Satan

OUMedMan
1/9/2008, 08:09 PM
Why would Carroll take a pay cut to leave Southern California and live in Georgia, where he would be coaching a team that has fewer first round NFL draft picks then the team he now coaches has?

Whet
1/9/2008, 08:24 PM
Why would Carroll take a pay cut to leave Southern California and live in Georgia, where he would be coaching a team that has fewer first round NFL draft picks then the team he now coaches has?

Feed his ego?

TUSooner
1/9/2008, 08:38 PM
Blank: Here you go, Pete! She's all yours!
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/6523/wreckedcarqq2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

hink4769
1/9/2008, 08:42 PM
Yeah I'm wondering the same thing. Carroll can pretty much pick his NFL job. I'm pretty sure he'll want total personnel control, similar to what he has now at SC, but Atlanta's a fast sinking ship. I'm not sure Vince Lombardi could turn them around in the next few years.

SOONER STEAKER
1/9/2008, 08:46 PM
That's my car that was stolen last year!! :D

Curly Bill
1/9/2008, 08:49 PM
USUC could beat the Falcons, so why would petey consider leaving? Anyone think maybe he can see the NCAA coming down hard on the trojans in the not too distant future, and he'd prefer to be somewhere far away when it happens?

possumfat
1/9/2008, 08:51 PM
Pete would need big LESticles to stay at USC if the NCAA comes calling.

AlbqSooner
1/9/2008, 08:55 PM
Petey would consider leaving because the spurned agent of Reggie Bush meets with the NCAA this month. Many pastures might look greener for the forseeable future.

goingoneight
1/9/2008, 09:12 PM
He's not going anywhere. And contrary to OP.com speculation, Stoops isn't going anywhere, either.

SoonerLB
1/9/2008, 09:40 PM
"The coach is currently on vacation in Hawaii."

Oh hell, he's interviewing for the Hawaii job! :D

Jason White's Third Knee
1/10/2008, 09:14 AM
http://a905.g.akamai.net/7/905/36356/v0001/www.myride.com/images/non-vehicle/Misc/Shows/Fuddruckers7-07/staff/Ford_Falcon_01_%28544x408%29.jpg

If I was Carroll I'd never leave. He's probably the only old white guy im America that has Snoop on speed dial.

ashley
1/10/2008, 09:25 AM
Thirty to thirty five million for five years. Why not go?

Jason White's Third Knee
1/10/2008, 09:34 AM
Thirty to thirty five million for five years. Why not go?

For that kind of jape, I'd have to ask what the hell would make him stay... All due respect to Snoop of course.

OUDoc
1/10/2008, 09:57 AM
http://www.cbswords.com/images/falcon8.jpg

GottaHavePride
1/10/2008, 10:13 AM
What a heap of junk.

trey
1/10/2008, 10:53 AM
want me to get out and push?

auto
1/10/2008, 11:39 AM
Feed his ego?

This is exactly correct. The offer to GM feeds the power and ego "If I can control it all, I will win and show everyone the genius".

cvsooner
1/10/2008, 12:26 PM
If he's going or staying, he needs to make it very clear, very soon, or it will affect his recruiting. I wouldn't be surprised if this rumor (and that's all it is for now) was started by a competitor. It happens every year. I'm also skeptical that following the Petrino mess that the Falcons would seriously consider another college coach, even one with some experience.

Breadburner
1/10/2008, 12:35 PM
He's bailing out before the **** hits the fan........

OUMedMan
1/10/2008, 12:55 PM
He's bailing out before the **** hits the fan........

So if he doesn't leave, that means USC won't have any NCAA problems?

Breadburner
1/10/2008, 12:58 PM
Nope..... If he stays he will be in the middle of the **** storm........

Desert Sapper
1/10/2008, 01:04 PM

Who said anything about USC? Pete Carroll, of me, myself, and I fame would not have to worry about the NCAA problems. USC be damned.

cheezyq
1/10/2008, 01:27 PM
BIG_IKE, I'd hurry up and type up another post, any post, quickly. Sitting on post #666 can't be good. :D

texas bandman
1/10/2008, 03:11 PM
BIG_IKE, I'd hurry up and type up another post, any post, quickly. Sitting on post #666 can't be good. :D

My Texas license plate starts with 666, but then having to live in Texas is h*ll, so I think it's appropriate. :D

Falconnius
1/10/2008, 03:16 PM
Obligiatory Falcon post.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/10/2008, 04:05 PM

I don't know that if he stays that it means USC is in the clear, we are talking about the Atlanta job. I don't discount his leaving like I did the other NFL rumors in the past several years. Certainly if he goes though you have to wonder if he thinks the hammer is coming.

tulsaoilerfan
1/10/2008, 05:10 PM
According to ESPN, Petey is not interested in the job; so, that means he will be hired before the weekend is out, right? :)