PDA

View Full Version : Dish v DirectTV?

achiro
1/9/2008, 11:48 AM
I know there has been discussion but a search found some stuff back to '05 but nothing very current. So here it goes. Any big differences between the two?
I am sick of Suddenlink and want more HD channels.

olevetonahill
1/9/2008, 11:54 AM
Nevar had a Prob with Dish equipment just their Service and billin
Have never had a Prob with Direct service just their equipment .
Hell It dont really matter to me cause Ill prolly suspend the Direct till spring game any way , then again till the season starts .

sanantoniosooner
1/9/2008, 11:59 AM
I like my remote/features better than my brothers.

I have Dish and he has Direct.

Other than that, I'm convinced the better one is whichever has the best offer at the moment.

mxATVracer10
1/9/2008, 12:23 PM
I like my remote/features better than my brothers.

I have Dish and he has Direct.

Other than that, I'm convinced the better one is whichever has the best offer at the moment.
I +1 this entire statement :texan:

Sooner_Bob
1/9/2008, 12:24 PM
I've been a customer of DTV for about 11 or 12 years with a brief stint with DishNetwork. I personally prefer DTV.

Right now they probably have about the same # of HD channels, but I think I saw where one of them had a free HD/DVR upgrade offer.

Just check out their websites and sign up for something that way.

DTV just came out with a new model of their HD DVR so be sure to ask about that if you're interested.

Widescreen
1/9/2008, 02:47 PM
Go with whichever one will give you the best deal on programming and equipment. I've been with Dish for 11 years and am generally pleased but they do some things that irritate me. Just not enough to switch and give up their sweet DVR for one that doesn't sound quite as good.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/9/2008, 03:06 PM
I switch everytime the contract wears off. Just switched to Direct after October. I ll be switching again in 18 months or so..No difference between them for me.

soonerinabilene
1/9/2008, 03:07 PM
I have had both, and prefer dish for two reasons
1. I get my local channels through the satellite, which dtv does not offer in my area.
2. I like their dvr better.

Other than that, prices and packages are about the same. Dish seems to hold the signal a little better in a storm also. I think that dtv now offers more hd channels, but I have yet to get an hd tv so its not an issue for me.

Norm In Norman
1/9/2008, 03:43 PM
The dish DVR is pretty damn sweet. Many reviews out there say it's just slightly behind TIVO in features, but ahead of TIVO with stuff like speed of the interface. I can't speak for the DirecTV one though.

GrapevineSooner
1/9/2008, 03:47 PM
Generally speaking...

In terms of price, Dish beats DirecTV.

But if you like the NFL Sunday Ticket or MLB Extra Innings, DirecTV has them and nobody else does.

picasso
1/9/2008, 03:49 PM
Direct TV. not even close.

Widescreen
1/9/2008, 04:06 PM
Yeah, like anyone will listen to the artist in technology matters.

;)

r5TPsooner
1/9/2008, 04:08 PM

I agree but there are a few issues that I have with DirecTV. DTV went from Tivo HD DVR's to there own brand which suck! They lock up way to much and the features are slim.

If you're like me and could give a rat's *** about the NFL Sunday Ticket... you will not be able to order PPV movies on Sunday's when the NFL Sunday Ticket is on until late that evening. This is due to bandwidth limitations which DTV fails to mention to there customers prior to them ordering DTV service.

Other than that, I like them. Dish Network is a joke as far as customer service is concerned. Also, there installation leave a LOT to be desired.

DirecTV is better than Dish Network and a hell of a lot better than Cox.

SwitzerFan
1/9/2008, 04:12 PM
If you go with Dish, don't go through AT&T to get it. Really bad customer service with both. It took 5 trips to my house troubleshooting to get my HD channels to work. Missed appointments, late appointments, guy stepped through my sheetrock(Brand new home) Not good times. I have no experience with Direct TV but I will try it next just because of my prior Dish/AT&T problems.

SoonerBorn68
1/9/2008, 05:03 PM

Harumph!!

picasso
1/9/2008, 05:03 PM
I agree but there are a few issues that I have with DirecTV. DTV went from Tivo HD DVR's to there own brand which suck! They lock up way to much and the features are slim.

If you're like me and could give a rat's *** about the NFL Sunday Ticket... you will not be able to order PPV movies on Sunday's when the NFL Sunday Ticket is on until late that evening. This is due to bandwidth limitations which DTV fails to mention to there customers prior to them ordering DTV service.

Other than that, I like them. Dish Network is a joke as far as customer service is concerned. Also, there installation leave a LOT to be desired.

DirecTV is better than Dish Network and a hell of a lot better than Cox.
my bro and I have had Direct since '96 and have had zero problems, easy restart and customer service. My folks had Dish and it was a pain in the arse.

sanantoniosooner
1/9/2008, 05:42 PM
my bro and I have had Direct since '96 and have had zero problems, easy restart and customer service. My folks had Dish and it was a pain in the arse.
pfffffft

I have Dish and haven't had a problem and my brother had some serious hassles with his HD Direct. They got it straightened out, but it took a while.

Harry Beanbag
1/9/2008, 05:46 PM
I like Cox.

sanantoniosooner
1/9/2008, 05:48 PM
I like Cox.
NTTAWWT

achiro
1/9/2008, 05:48 PM
I like Cox.
:eek:

picasso
1/9/2008, 05:54 PM
pfffffft

I have Dish and haven't had a problem and my brother had some serious hassles with his HD Direct. They got it straightened out, but it took a while.
pffft? did you fart? Well my folks had Dish and it's a certain pain in the *** every time you have to restart/point the dish, Direct TV is much simpler (I know by experience) and you don't need a map for the remote. Jerry.

Sooner_Bob
1/9/2008, 08:40 PM
I'd suggest checking on this other forum if you want some very well informed opinions on things.

dbstalk.com (http://www.dbstalk.com)

StormySooner-IN
1/9/2008, 08:46 PM
DirecTV is teh thevies. We had em for 11 years, cancelled, then they charged us a $300 early termnation for a non-existent contract fee, and took our receviers we bought from teh store. Long story...not talking about it.

AT&T*>>>>>DTV/Dish>Any Cable

C&CDean
1/9/2008, 09:08 PM
I've had Dish for 6 years now and haven't had a single problem. I live out in the sticks, and my dish has worked perfectly - except in serious downpours. The DVR works great, all the other receivers work great, no problems whatsoever.

bluedogok
1/9/2008, 09:16 PM

DirecTV is better than Dish Network and a hell of a lot better than Cox.I have had DirecTV for 9 years, no complaints at all. I have NFL-ST and MLB-EI so it would be DirecTV for me anyway.

As far as the bandwidth limitations with NFL Sunday Ticket, the season is over but that should go away next year after the other new sat comes online. The only PPV that I ever get is the occasional OU game like Utah State this season.

I have had to reboot my DirecTV HD-DVR about 3 times in a year and a half, it just seems to work. I prefer it over my SD-DirecTivo. The DirecTV parent company is in the process of buying ReplayTV so who knows what might be implemented from that.

Most markets do not have AT&T U-Verse or Verizon FIOS yet and may never get them, here it is just the Time Warner Cable (with a 24 hour Longhorn channel) or DirecTV/Dish. I know some of the suburban towns around here have SuddenLink and most do not like it. They could not come to an agreement for carriage rights of the NBC station here , so they pulled the plug and signed a contract with the Waco/Temple NBC station. Both companies (SuddenLink and LIN Television) are pieces of work. My father-in-law in West Texas has SuddenLink and I have been less than impressed.

Widescreen
1/9/2008, 10:03 PM
I'd suggest checking on this other forum if you want some very well informed opinions on things.

dbstalk.com (http://www.dbstalk.com)
Actually I'd stay out of their Dish forums - can't comment on their DTV forums. They're absolute Nazi's (particularly James Long) in that you're not allowed to say anything that isn't 100% pro-Dish on their Dish forums.

I prefer http://www.satelliteguys.us because they pretty much let you say how you feel.

Sooner_Bob
1/10/2008, 07:56 AM
Actually I'd stay out of their Dish forums - can't comment on their DTV forums. They're absolute Nazi's (particularly James Long) in that you're not allowed to say anything that isn't 100% pro-Dish on their Dish forums.

I prefer http://www.satelliteguys.us because they pretty much let you say how you feel.

I only post in the DTV forums . . . either way, the info I've found there has been very helpful.

I'll check out the satelliteguys site as well though.

sanantoniosooner
1/10/2008, 08:52 AM
I'd avoid both.

People who post in forums tend to be quite strange.

Sooner_Bob
1/10/2008, 09:00 AM
You got that right.

tbl
1/10/2008, 09:09 AM
I had DTV for 4 years and I've had Dish the past 6.
Dish is better on price (around $15 a month difference depending on the package you get)
They offer a free HD-DVR when you sign up with them (you have to pay $100 from DTV)
They have more HD Channels than DTV
From my experience the Dish satellite is significantly better than the DTV when clouds/storms come through. We can have some serious storms here and I still get a signal.

I have the HD-DVR and its awesome. I agree with SAS that the remote is easier to use... and again, I've had both. I also agree that their customer service is horrible, but I've only had to deal with them a couple of times the years I've been with them. Their installation is fine, but the phone customer service is suck.

r5TPsooner
1/10/2008, 11:55 AM
I had DTV for 4 years and I've had Dish the past 6.
Dish is better on price (around $15 a month difference depending on the package you get)
They offer a free HD-DVR when you sign up with them (you have to pay $100 from DTV)
From my experience the Dish satellite is significantly better than the DTV when clouds/storms come through. We can have some serious storms here and I still get a signal.

I have the HD-DVR and its awesome. I agree with SAS that the remote is easier to use... and again, I've had both. I also agree that their customer service is horrible, but I've only had to deal with them a couple of times the years I've been with them. Their installation is fine, but the phone customer service is suck.

I disagree on one point, when I signed up for DirecTV in June, I received a HD DVR for free and two free PPV coupons to use at my leisure.

I tried on two separate occasions to have Dish Network installed, both times they tried to bait and switch me on what receivers that I ordered and tries to charge me extra both times. Their install guys were both nimrods too, so I sent them packing each time and went with DTV.

One thing is for sure... they both are a hell of a lot better than Cox Cable.

Sooner_Bob
1/10/2008, 12:50 PM
I disagree on one point, when I signed up for DirecTV in June, I received a HD DVR for free and two free PPV coupons to use at my leisure.

I tried on two separate occasions to have Dish Network installed, both times they tried to bait and switch me on what receivers that I ordered and tries to charge me extra both times. Their install guys were both nimrods too, so I sent them packing each time and went with DTV.

One thing is for sure... they both are a hell of a lot better than Cox Cable.

Competency of installers varies greatly . . . I've had three different DTV installers and one DishNetwork installer out at various locations and felt that of the four of them only 2 knew much of anything. Both happened to work for a local DTV installer.

Of course a lot of the work order info is taken by a dispatcher or customer service person and the installers only go by what is on the work order. Chances are it wasn't the installers fault they were given the wrong units to install. Some of the equipment can't leave the warehouse if its not on the work order.

bluedogok
1/10/2008, 11:26 PM
They offer a free HD-DVR when you sign up with them (you have to pay $100 from DTV)When I upgraded to HD, I got the HD-DVR and a new dish to replace my old Sony Dual LNB dish free.

If you have rain fade with either service, you need the dish adjusted. I have done my own installs (and a few for friends) when I moved and don't have rain fade issues.

Not anymore, since the new sat came online they have been adding channels like crazy.

Here are the current HD offerings on DirecTV.
74 - Universal HD
78 - HDNet Movies HD
79 - HDNet
101 - The 101 HD (DirecTV Music Channel)
202 - CNN HD
206 - ESPN HD
209 - ESPN2 HD
212 - NFL Network HD
215 - NHL Network HD
218-1/219-1/220 - Big Ten Network HD
229-1 HGTV HD
231-1 FoodTV HD
242 - USA HD
244 - SciFi HD
245 - TNT HD
247 - TBS HD
248 - FX HD
255 - MGM HD
265 - A&E HD
266 - Biography HD
267 - Smithsonian HD
269 - History HD
273 - Bravo HD
276 - National Geographic HD
278 - Discovery HD
280 - TLC HD
281 - Discovery HD Theater
282 - Animal Planet HD
284 - The Science Channel HD
296 - Toon HD
299 - Nick HD
325 - Spike HD
327 - CMT HD
331 - MTV HD
332 - Music: High Definition
335 - VH1 HD
355 - CNBC HD
359 - Fox Business News HD
362 - The Weather Channel HD
501 - HBO HD
504 - HBOW - HD
512 - Max HD
514 - MaxW HD
537 - Showtime HD
538 - Showtime 2 HD
540 - Showtime West HD
544 - TMC HD
601 - NBA HD
604 - Versus/Golf HD
607 - Speed HD
610 - CSTV HD
612 - Fuel HD
620-1 - Comcast SportsNet New England HD
621 - MSG Network HD
622 - Yes HD
623 - New England Sports Network HD
624 - FSN New York HD
625 - Sports New York HD
628-1 - FSN Pittsburgh HD
629 - Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic HD
630-1 - FSN 360 HD
634-3 - FSN Florida HD
635-1 - Sunshine Sports Florida HD
636 - FSN Detroit HD
637 - FSN Ohio
640 - Comcast SportsNet Chicago HD
642 - FSN Wisconsin HD
643 - FSN-Southwest HD
644-1 - Altitude HD
647-1 - FSN Midwest HD
649-1 - FSN Arizona
652 - FSN-West HD
653 - FSN-Prime Ticket HD

soonerboomer93
1/11/2008, 12:54 AM
It's really a pick and choose information on what you want best. Both companies have comparable service and equipment. Both work hard for the JD Powers customer service award and the only cable company that competes with them in that area is WOW.

Installations vary, it depends on who's sent out, how experienced they are, how big the overall installation is. It's always best to sign up directly through the company. When I was with Dish, we'd hear complaints about what retailers had promised and all we could do was direct them back to the retailer. We couldn't guarantee or even know what they had been promised because we could only control the basic offers (3 months free of a premium, special pricing for x months, different things like that).

Rain fade does occur, but it's generally the sign of a misaligned dish. I've spoken to customers who had signal through hurricanes (the dishes are designed to withstand 80+ mph winds without movement). Also you have to remember, the vast majority of dishes are now receiving multiple satellite signals. Peaking a dish has become more difficult. When I left dish, we had systems with 3 sats on 1 dish and that could take 4 satellite inputs together. That's a lot of equipment. Dtv is also receiving multiple satellites on 1 dish, and I know they had problems with their first dual sat dish and with their 3 sat dish (and we also did with the first gen version).

tbl
1/12/2008, 02:37 AM
Here are the current HD offerings on DirecTV.
74 - Universal HD
78 - HDNet Movies HD
79 - HDNet
101 - The 101 HD (DirecTV Music Channel)
202 - CNN HD
206 - ESPN HD
209 - ESPN2 HD
212 - NFL Network HD
215 - NHL Network HD
218-1/219-1/220 - Big Ten Network HD
229-1 HGTV HD
231-1 FoodTV HD
242 - USA HD
244 - SciFi HD
245 - TNT HD
247 - TBS HD
248 - FX HD
255 - MGM HD
265 - A&E HD
266 - Biography HD
267 - Smithsonian HD
269 - History HD
273 - Bravo HD
276 - National Geographic HD
278 - Discovery HD
280 - TLC HD
281 - Discovery HD Theater
282 - Animal Planet HD
284 - The Science Channel HD
296 - Toon HD
299 - Nick HD
325 - Spike HD
327 - CMT HD
331 - MTV HD
332 - Music: High Definition
335 - VH1 HD
355 - CNBC HD
359 - Fox Business News HD
362 - The Weather Channel HD
501 - HBO HD
504 - HBOW - HD
512 - Max HD
514 - MaxW HD
537 - Showtime HD
538 - Showtime 2 HD
540 - Showtime West HD
544 - TMC HD
601 - NBA HD
604 - Versus/Golf HD
607 - Speed HD
610 - CSTV HD
612 - Fuel HD
620-1 - Comcast SportsNet New England HD
621 - MSG Network HD
622 - Yes HD
623 - New England Sports Network HD
624 - FSN New York HD
625 - Sports New York HD
628-1 - FSN Pittsburgh HD
629 - Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic HD
630-1 - FSN 360 HD
634-3 - FSN Florida HD
635-1 - Sunshine Sports Florida HD
636 - FSN Detroit HD
637 - FSN Ohio
640 - Comcast SportsNet Chicago HD
642 - FSN Wisconsin HD
643 - FSN-Southwest HD
644-1 - Altitude HD
647-1 - FSN Midwest HD
649-1 - FSN Arizona
652 - FSN-West HD
653 - FSN-Prime Ticket HD
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Dude! What the flip, Dish???? I may have to look at changing... seriously.

soonerboomer93
1/12/2008, 05:26 AM
echo XI was supposed to be launched last year (more HD tv capacity). HD channels take more bandwidth, which means less channels per transponders.

bluedogok
1/12/2008, 11:13 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Dude! What the flip, Dish???? I may have to look at changing... seriously.
Most of the new channels came online in October, Directv sent up that new sat last June. I know there is another going up soon (or may have already gone up) to expand the Local HD spot beam and Video On Demand capacity.

After both have their sat upgrades I would imagine they would be pretty close to each other in number of channels minus the Voom channels that Dish owns. I ran across another new one last night, The Tennis Channel HD.

I never even considered Dish because I wanted NFL Sunday Ticket, my sister has Dish (she does not have HD) and likes it better than Cox when she had it.