PDA

View Full Version : Granger Arrest Warrant Issued

KingDavid
1/8/2008, 06:44 PM
Didn't see this (http://newsok.com/article/3190463/) anywhere else. We have a bonified bonehead, folks.

cvsooner
1/8/2008, 06:48 PM
Why would Tucson court and the Tucson police have anything to do with a crime committed in Tempe? This makes no sense.

jps
1/8/2008, 06:50 PM
well they sent him home from AZ. I guess he was supposed to fly back or make other arrangements with the court. Not very smart. Was it grand larceny or a misdemeanor? Did it ever say what the jacket was worth?

SoonerStormchaser
1/8/2008, 06:55 PM
Send him packing Bob.

cvsooner
1/8/2008, 06:59 PM
The coat was reportedly worth between $60 and $75.

But it still makes no sense for Tucson (which is 100 miles from Tempe and in a different county) to be issuing a warrant. I'm confused.

CatfishSooner
1/8/2008, 07:06 PM
bizzzare...

Jerk
1/8/2008, 07:07 PM
please make it stop. :mad:

NYC Poke
1/8/2008, 07:14 PM
Not to defend Granger, but it is going to be a major pain for him to go back and forth across the country for court dates, while at the same time trying to attend classes, work out, and attend spring practices. Not that he doesn't deserve it. But if you really must do something stupid and get arrested, at least do it close to home so you don't have to deal with the travel.

Mjcpr
1/8/2008, 07:19 PM
I don't see where it says anything about Tucson, cvsooner.

I don't get the court thing either. I always wondered why people were expected to travel cross country to attend court on a traffic ticket or something (I'm guessing this is somewhat similar, legally). I'm not trying to excuse him either, but what are you supposed to do if you can't afford to travel there and back?

OU-HSV
1/8/2008, 07:20 PM
Not to defend Granger, but it is going to be a major pain for him to go back and forth across the country for court dates, while at the same time trying to attend classes, work out, and attend spring practices. Not that he doesn't deserve it. But if you really must do something stupid and get arrested, at least do it close to home so you don't have to deal with the travel.
He did it...he should have to worry about the travel and what not himself. If he gets suspended further for missing workouts/practice sessions due to travel for his stupidity...then so be it. It's all on him. I don't feel bad for him one bit.

NYC Poke
1/8/2008, 07:23 PM
I don't see where it says anything about Tucson, cvsooner.

I don't get the court thing either. I always wondered why people were expected to travel cross country to attend court on a traffic ticket or something (I'm guessing this is somewhat similar, legally). I'm not trying to excuse him either, but what are you supposed to do if you can't afford to travel there and back?

They arrange travel for you. In the form of Arizona issuing an arrest warrant, sending that warrant to Oklahoma, who will hold him until Arizona comes to get him. Then, if me can't make bail, they will arrange luxurious accomodations for him in a tent behind a big fence until his court date is set.

I don't know why he missed the court date, but that was really stupid.

cvsooner
1/8/2008, 07:26 PM
The original Oklahoman story listed it as Tucson. A poster in the comments section at the DOK website noted it too:

Tempe is a suburb of Phoenix. Why would this matter be in Tucson Municipal Court?
Walt, Houston - Jan 8, 2008 6:00 PM

This has been corrected.

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/8/2008, 08:05 PM
You were a good player, but I don't want to see your *** in Norman ever again. Go to Sam Houston State and get your life straight.

85sooners
1/8/2008, 08:22 PM
:rolleyes:

achiro
1/8/2008, 08:28 PM
**** it dude! I don't care how many thugs it takes, I just want championships!!!!:texan:

Now seriously, couldn't he have hired a lawyer or something to handle it without him showing for this particular court date? Lawyer types have any answers?

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/8/2008, 08:29 PM
You were a good player, but I don't want to see your *** in Norman ever again. Go to Sam Houston State and get your life straight.So I am a moron for saying this eh? He made a terrible decision and needs to be dismissed from the team, and I'm not trying to start rumors or anything but you rarely get caught your first time shoplifting in my opinion.

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/8/2008, 08:30 PM
**** it dude! I don't care how many thugs it takes, I just want championships!!!!:texan:

Now seriously, couldn't he have hired a lawyer or something to handle it without him showing for this particular court date? Lawyer types have any answers?
Having low class players who value a $60 dollar jacket over their team isn't going to help you win championships. Sure, Barry Switzer won championships but look at his legacy now from the eyes of another schools fan, its a lawless and tarnished era.

KantoSooner
1/8/2008, 09:05 PM
Be very, very careful when you criticize Switzer. You may just be mouthing a lot of crap repeated by people who first mouthed it with an agenda to promote and little regard for the truth.
Switzer has been victimized for years by the continuing spleen of those who hated him; and by his own attitude that he was going to continue living his life without troubling himself too much by responding to each and every attack.
Those who disdain him now tend to be fans of schools that lost to him. Regularly. Humiliatingly.
In other words: Barry's Bitches.

That's not a club I clamor for admission to.

cccasooner2
1/8/2008, 09:18 PM
They arrange travel for you. In the form of Arizona issuing an arrest warrant, sending that warrant to Oklahoma, who will hold him until Arizona comes to get him. Then, if me can't make bail, they will arrange luxurious accomodations for him in a tent behind a big fence until his court date is set.

I don't know why he missed the court date, but that was really stupid.

It's a formal thing then, kinda like going to a prom. :pop:

OKC-SLC
1/8/2008, 09:22 PM
SCS--you need to fix your sig. We were conference champs in '07, not (yet) '08.

jps
1/8/2008, 09:28 PM
beg to differ on what NYC Poke said. They aren't going to spend that much money on someone who stole something under a $100. Believe it or not, he isn't that important. I live in Houston. If I go to Oklahoma and get a speeding ticket and then decide not to show up for my court date or make other arrangements, the court will issue a warrant for my arrest. That doesn't mean that HPD is going to track me down and take me into custody and Oklahoma or Texas is going to fly me back. What it does mean is if I am in OK and get pulled over or into any kind of trouble and they call my info in, I am going directly to jail.

AZ is not going to fly him anywhere nor do anything after this. The warrant has been issued which is standard procedure and it is up to him to straighten it out and clear his record of the warrant by providing other arrangements. In high profile cases it is different, but not for stealing a a $65 jacket.

Bottom line is Norman PD is not going to come looking for him. I don't even know that states even talk to each other in these cases. It used to be if you got a ticket in a state that you didn't live in you could blow it off because states didn't talk to each other. Now if you ever went back to that state and got in trouble you are going straight to jail because of the warrant. But think of how how many people have oustanding warrants and think of how many states there are and the fact that no one knows where these people are. It is way to big of an administrative nightmare to accomodate.

AlbqSooner
1/8/2008, 09:49 PM
jps is mostly correct. Arizona would not extradite on this charge. However, the might, and many states do, put it on NCIC. If that is done and he is stopped in ANY state and they run a "wants or warrants" check on him he would be arrested and jailed until such time the Arizona advised that they did not wish to extradite. He needs to deal with this.

What he can do, and should already have done, is hire a lawyer in Tempe to appear for him, enter a plea of no contest, determine the fine and costs to be paid, and get him some time in which to pay it. All of that can be done "in absentia" which means without him present.

boomrsoonr
1/8/2008, 10:32 PM
Okay folks. Let's settle down a bit and examine the issue. First of all, I doubt a 60 dollar jacket is going to be a felony. And if it's a misdemeanor, it won't go into NCIC, and they won't extradite him on it. At most, they can cause him to lose his Oklahoma driver's license until he pays his fine. What this probably is, and I admit I didn't read the article, is a warrant for failure to appear at his arraignment. All he needs to do is contact the court, plead no contest, and then pay whatever fine the judge levies. The judge probably doesn't even know he's not in the State. Once that fine is paid, he can get his driver's license reinstated for about $150.00 here.

Now, if he was there locally, he could wind up getting some jail time (usually up to a year for a misdemeanor). If he goes back there, he could be in for more of a punishment than he is now. And, he could wind up being with Sheriff Joe! Bummer.

devOUt
1/8/2008, 10:45 PM
He should just forfeit his bond and be done with it. Then he can make arrangements to repay McCoy. It's really a simple matter. He should hire an attorney locally (Norman) to do his bidding for him with the Tempe Municipal Court. It's not likely that the City of Tempe will pay to extradite him back to AZ on a misdemeanor charge.

jps
1/8/2008, 11:30 PM
boomr, how would he possibly get jail time if he lived there locally for a first offense misdemeanor? Now I understand that is probably the maximum punishment for a misdemeanor and maybe you might get that if you are a repeat offender but there is no way on a first offense.

MissouriSooner
1/8/2008, 11:55 PM
Don't know how it works in other States, but here in Missouri, you show up for a misdemeanor, you aren't going to do any jail time - period. However, if you don't show up for your first court date, when you do finally appear before the judge, the judge has the discretion to decide if you need a few days as a guest of the local municipality to consider your contempt of the court by having not showed up in the first place.

Rhino
1/9/2008, 12:00 AM
That part of Arizona got quite a bit of snow yesterday and today. Flying into Tucson when they're closing highways probably isn't going to happen on time.

SOONER STEAKER
1/9/2008, 12:07 AM
I understand Granger and the Univ.are in the process of getting something done.

snp
1/9/2008, 12:27 AM
He should just forfeit his bond and be done with it. Then he can make arrangements to repay McCoy. It's really a simple matter. He should hire an attorney locally (Norman) to do his bidding for him with the Tempe Municipal Court. It's not likely that the City of Tempe will pay to extradite him back to AZ on a misdemeanor charge.

It's not likely that an Oklahoma lawyer who hasn't passed the Arizona Bar will be able to do much for him. He needs a local attorney in Arizona to do this all on his behalf.

Warrants like this won't transfer between states. The only reason a Norman cop will know Granger has a warrant is because it's all over the news and they won't care anyways.

OffroadOUFan
1/9/2008, 12:37 AM
It's not likely that an Oklahoma lawyer who hasn't passed the Arizona Bar will be able to do much for him. He needs a local attorney in Arizona to do this all on his behalf.

Warrants like this won't transfer between states. The only reason a Norman cop will know Granger has a warrant is because it's all over the news and they won't care anyways.

With Dog Chapman on the outs, Granger should watch out, though!

MamaMia
1/9/2008, 02:38 AM
If Tempe is in Maricopa County, Granger may end up sleeping in a tent, wearing pink underwear.

bri
1/9/2008, 02:52 AM
So I am a moron for saying this eh? He made a terrible decision and needs to be dismissed from the team, and I'm not trying to start rumors or anything but you rarely get caught your first time shoplifting in my opinion.

Yeah, 'cause you're so good at it from the get-go.

Go play in traffic, tool.

Crucifax Autumn
1/9/2008, 03:30 AM
You wanna know what I think?

I think he's either an idiot or a kid who made a dumb mistake. I think the coaches know which one it is and I think they will deal with it accordingly. In the meantime, assuming he's a kid who made a mistake the very idea of keeping this topic alive is bad for him and the team.

The simple fact is, we all know Stoops won't put up with any BS from his players and if this is anything more than an isolated incident it will be harshly dealt with.

misanthropic1234
1/9/2008, 05:28 AM
Even kids need to learn. If I were to steal while on a trip for my job, and that is what football is for these kids, I would be dismissed. Granger should be sent packing.

MrJimBeam
1/9/2008, 05:48 AM
you rarely get caught your first time shoplifting in my opinion.
I never got caught.

devOUt
1/9/2008, 06:55 AM

I have have been a municipal prosecutor for 14 years. I talk to out of state lawyers every month. It doesn't require an AZ license to practice law to make a phone call to the AZ municipal prosecutor to resolve this matter. A phone call is not a court appearance and doesn't require a license where the charge is pending. Even if an OK lawyer did appear in AZ for Mr. Granger, the AZ court would probably allow the OK lawyer to handle the case pro hac vice.

Warrants do transfer between states by virtue of full faith and credit. If AZ honors OK warrants, then OK will honor AZ warrants.

aj44mc
1/9/2008, 08:38 AM
From what I understood the it was a leather bomber jacket around $300. Which in AZ is a felony offense. I bet he will be hanging out in Tent city but he better hurry because it is hot as hell in the summer.

OUDoc
1/9/2008, 09:25 AM
Paper said it was a misdemeanor.

SouthFortySooner
1/9/2008, 09:54 AM
I have have been a municipal prosecutor for 14 years. I talk to out of state lawyers every month. It doesn't require an AZ license to practice law to make a phone call to the AZ municipal prosecutor to resolve this matter. A phone call is not a court appearance and doesn't require a license where the charge is pending. Even if an OK lawyer did appear in AZ for Mr. Granger, the AZ court would probably allow the OK lawyer to handle the case pro hac vice.

Warrants do transfer between states by virtue of full faith and credit. If AZ honors OK warrants, then OK will honor AZ warrants.

Yeah! What he said. :D

guzziguy
1/9/2008, 09:55 AM
Paper said it was a misdemeanor.

Once you get below the date and the name of the paper at the top of the front page you can pretty much depend that everything has misinformation in it. But, I hope they were right on that bit.

OKCIS
1/9/2008, 10:38 AM
Its a misdemeanor crime and they will not extradite him for a misdemeanor they have better stuff to do. He could basically dodge it his entire life if he wanted to as long as he never goes back to Arizona. If it was a felony sure they would come get him but its not so they aren't going to do anything about it.

Basically he will get a representative from Arizona to handle the case for him and talk to the DA. he will never have to go back to Arizona at all for this charge.

soonerlaw
1/9/2008, 10:56 AM
While the theft was a misdemeanor, the Failure to Appear is more serious and what got his warrant issued. Article also said Gerald McCoy bailed him out for $500. Not sure in AZ if McCoy will lose that bail money because Granger failed to appear.

What he will need to do is hire a lawyer to get the warrant lifted; lawyers can usually do that by placing an attorney bond; then the lawyer can get it set back on the court docket. Since Granger admitted to stealing it at the scene, his attorney probably try to speak to the municipal court prosecutor and get him put on some type of probation and have him pay some sort of probation fee + possible community service and get the fee to be paid over time.

Bottom line, a $60 jacket is going to end up costing him over $2K after repayment of bail/bond, payment of fine and attorney fees... not to mention the opportunity to play in a BCS game.

Rhino
1/9/2008, 11:07 AM
From what I understood the it was a leather bomber jacket around $300. Which in AZ is a felony offense. I bet he will be hanging out in Tent city but he better hurry because it is hot as hell in the summer. Every report has said it was $75.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/9/2008, 11:20 AM

Don't do the crime is you can't do the time...

Don't feel sorry for him. At least hire a lawyer, plead case to judge or get a continuance to meet travel schedule, et al. But to stand up a judge, not a smart thing to do.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/9/2008, 11:22 AM
The original Oklahoman story listed it as Tucson. A poster in the comments section at the DOK website noted it too:

Tempe is a suburb of Phoenix. Why would this matter be in Tucson Municipal Court?
Walt, Houston - Jan 8, 2008 6:00 PM

This has been corrected.

Another example of fine and thorough Oklahoman journalism.

MojoRisen
1/9/2008, 11:26 AM
This was the dumbest thing I have ever seen- however the kid is not going to be in much trouble with the law for this and will likely get a fine and community service for petty theft.

It is not the end of the world for the bone head and he deserves a shot to not mess up again.

My opinion on the 20 year old.

Mike

OklahomaRed
1/9/2008, 11:40 AM
While the theft was a misdemeanor, the Failure to Appear is more serious and what got his warrant issued. Article also said Gerald McCoy bailed him out for $500. Not sure in AZ if McCoy will lose that bail money because Granger failed to appear.

What he will need to do is hire a lawyer to get the warrant lifted; lawyers can usually do that by placing an attorney bond; then the lawyer can get it set back on the court docket. Since Granger admitted to stealing it at the scene, his attorney probably try to speak to the municipal court prosecutor and get him put on some type of probation and have him pay some sort of probation fee + possible community service and get the fee to be paid over time.

Bottom line, a $60 jacket is going to end up costing him over $2K after repayment of bail/bond, payment of fine and attorney fees... not to mention the opportunity to play in a BCS game.

Thanks soonerlaw. We appreciate the consultation. That's exactly what I was thinking. Hire a lawyer, get it redirected, pay your fine, take your probation, learn from your mistake, and get on with your life.

Granger's incident obviously proved he's not the sharpest knive in the drawer; however, it's also not worth ruining any chance he has at redeeming himself. I'm glad I didn't get my hand chopped off when I was young and dumb. I'm for giving the due a 2nd chance, just not a 3rd. :D

All_Day_28
1/9/2008, 12:05 PM
THIS JUST IN:

The ancestors of some of the people on here took part in the crucifixion of Christ.

redshield3
1/9/2008, 12:39 PM
THIS JUST IN:

The ancestors of some of the people on here took part in the crucifixion of Christ.

WTF?

MamaMia
1/9/2008, 01:01 PM
THIS JUST IN:

scusilo per favore! We're Italian. We didn't have nothing to do with whacking Jesus, plus we have an alibi.

Who ARE you people and where did you come from?! n00bs. :rolleyes:

Monster Zero
1/9/2008, 01:33 PM
scusilo per favore! We're Italian. We didn't have nothing to do with whacking Jesus, plus we have an alibi.

Who ARE you people and where did you come from?! n00bs. :rolleyes:
I think what he's trying to say is that any of us who have ever sinned have a part in the crucifixion of Jesus because he died for our sins, even the ones committed in 2008. In other words, The Lord must see all of us in about the same light that he sees DeMarcus right now because he died for us and he died for DeMarcus, too.

Of course, DeMarcus is in legal trouble right now and most of us around here are not. Let him take his lumps and give him a chance to get over it. I think that's what the dude's trying to say. Just MHO, anyway.

SteelClip49
1/9/2008, 01:50 PM
OU Football
National Championships
'50 '55 '56 '74 '75 '85 '00
Conference Champships
'15 '18 '20 '38 '43 '44 '46 '47 '48 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '54 '55 '56 '57 '58 '59 '62 '67 '68 '72 '73 '74 '75 '76 '77 '78 '79 '80 '84 '85 '86 '87 '00 '02 '04 '06 '08
Heisman Trophy Winners
Billy Vessels-1952 Steve Owens-1968 Billy Sims-1979
Jason White-2003

SCSooner, I am sure O.J. Simpson would object about 1968 and Charles White would as well for 1979.

Also, Granger needs to get the hell out....send him to Austin where he can fit in better.

snp
1/9/2008, 02:11 PM

Okay I'll bow to you in this matter then. You seem way more qualified than I.

I didn't say they can't transfer; I said they won't for this case.

SouthFortySooner
1/9/2008, 04:24 PM
I think what he's trying to say is that any of us who have ever sinned have a part in the crucifixion of Jesus because he died for our sins, even the ones committed in 2008. In other words, The Lord must see all of us in about the same light that he sees DeMarcus right now because he died for us and he died for DeMarcus, to.

Don't think it will carry through. One of these crucifiees in question was innocent.

OUBabe
1/9/2008, 06:33 PM
http://newsok.com/article/3190712/1199909197

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/9/2008, 07:09 PM
Be very, very careful when you criticize Switzer. You may just be mouthing a lot of crap repeated by people who first mouthed it with an agenda to promote and little regard for the truth.
Switzer has been victimized for years by the continuing spleen of those who hated him; and by his own attitude that he was going to continue living his life without troubling himself too much by responding to each and every attack.
Those who disdain him now tend to be fans of schools that lost to him. Regularly. Humiliatingly.
In other words: Barry's Bitches.

That's not a club I clamor for admission to.
I'm stating his REPUTATION not actual facts. I would kill for Switzer to coach again, he is my all time favorite. Either our '71 or '72 team was my favorite, the one that averaged 472 ypg rushing.

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/9/2008, 07:12 PM
OU Football
National Championships
'50 '55 '56 '74 '75 '85 '00
Conference Champships
'15 '18 '20 '38 '43 '44 '46 '47 '48 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '54 '55 '56 '57 '58 '59 '62 '67 '68 '72 '73 '74 '75 '76 '77 '78 '79 '80 '84 '85 '86 '87 '00 '02 '04 '06 '08
Heisman Trophy Winners
Billy Vessels-1952 Steve Owens-1968 Billy Sims-1979
Jason White-2003

SCSooner, I am sure O.J. Simpson would object about 1968 and Charles White would as well for 1979.

Also, Granger needs to get the hell out....send him to Austin where he can fit in better.
Okay..should I put it the year that they were actually voted on for, not the season year or whatever then. That sentance made no sence.

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/9/2008, 07:19 PM

I said nothing about me getting caught shoplifting, I meant that shoplifting isn't all that difficult in some places, so you do it and do it until you go into a store with more security and you get caught.

Very mature of you.

bri
1/9/2008, 08:05 PM
I said nothing about me getting caught shoplifting, I meant that shoplifting isn't all that difficult in some places, so you do it and do it until you go into a store with more security and you get caught.

Yeah, I didn't mean you. It was the royal you. Didn't mean to confuse you, Blue Spek.

olevetonahill
1/9/2008, 08:31 PM

I gots a feeler that most are confusing Transfer with the Fact that No state
will waste the Money to Extradite on a Misdemeanor.
Just sayin

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/10/2008, 02:31 PM

Sorry my mindreading skills aren't up to par.

bri
1/10/2008, 03:41 PM
Oh, for the love of Pete.

Yeah, because people who are in no way, shape or form meant to be implied to be SouthCarolinaSooner, or his irritable vaginia for that matter, are so good at it from the get-go.

Fixed.

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/10/2008, 05:52 PM
Oh, for the love of Pete.

Fixed.
Seriously man, what is your problem? I've done nothing to you or made any personal attacks against you and you've gone off and flamed me twice.

bri
1/10/2008, 06:43 PM
Yeah, once because you made a stupid comment, and then a second time 'cause you were still bitching about it like a mewing man-child a page later. It's called "the internet". Welcome abord, Chuckles.

olevetonahill
1/10/2008, 06:51 PM
Seriously man, what is your problem? I've done nothing to you or made any personal attacks against you and you've gone off and flamed me twice.
I think it has to do with the fact that something about you , Just pizzes him off .
Just sayin

jk the sooner fan
1/10/2008, 06:53 PM
everybody ****es him off, its not all that difficult

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/10/2008, 11:23 PM
Yeah, once because you made a stupid comment, and then a second time 'cause you were still bitching about it like a mewing man-child a page later.
Oh please. Okay, maybe I made a stupid comment in your opinion. Name calling and insults will get you nowhere with your argument.

It's called "the internet".
I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

SouthFortySooner
1/11/2008, 11:25 AM
This place is like the "chicken yard", you shoot a rat's nest down and one chicken grabs a rat and all the others want a piece of it. They snatch and tear until nothing resembles a rat. Only thing left is a crazy chicken with a gnarly claw hangin out its mouth runnin around like its a prize.

Throw out your opinion and watch. :chicken: