PDA

View Full Version : BCS/PLAYOFF SOLUTION #890

BIG_IKE
1/8/2008, 02:23 PM
I have been thinking about the biggest gripes opponents have about a playoff, which is Bowl Revenue, tradition etc. etc. Here is what I propose.

10 TEAM PLAYOFF

The playoff will begin with 4 Bowl Games. The Sugar,Rose, Orange and Fiesta.
Each of those games will have Direct conference tie ins. The Sugar and Orange will have wildcard games for the remaining slots. The wildcard slots will be based on BCS Rankings. The 4 teams that are NOT Conference Champs that are ranked highest in the Rankings will get the bids with #1 vs. #4 and #2 vs. #3. The playoff for this year would look like this..

BCS WILDCARD GAMES (The week after the CCG's)
Georgia (Wildcard #1) vs. Hawaii (Wildcard #4)
Missouri (Wildcard #2) vs. Kansas (Wildcard #3)

the games would be played at the higher ranked teams home field. The winner of the first game would play in the West Playoff Bracket, the winner of the 2nd game would play in the East Playoff Bracket..

then all the other non important bowl games are played etc. etc.

THEN...on New Years Day, the BCS Playoffs Begin with Bowl Games

WEST BRACKET

FIESTA: Oklahoma (Big 12 Champ) vs. Georgia (Wildcard Winner)
ROSE:Ohio State (Big 10 Champ) vs. USC (Pac-10 Champ)

EAST BRACKET

SUGAR: LSU (SEC Champ) vs. Missouri (Wild Card Winner)
ORANGE: West Virginia (Big East Champ) vs. Vtech (ACC Champ)

Then January 7th

THE BCS SEMI-FINALS
at the Location of the Lower Ranked Team
Western Semi-Final: USC @ Oklahoma
Eastern Semi-Final: LSU @ West Virginia

BCS National Championship

The two Winners at a neutral location.

Does this seem fair?
Every Conference Champ would be guaranteed a bid to certain BCS games.
10 teams get a shot at the title.
The Pac 10 and Big 10 can have their stinkin Rose Bowl
It only adds two more weekends of Football totally THREE GAMES.
We get some pre-bowl excitement with the Wild Card games in early December (the season would obviously go back to an 11 game season)

Thoughts?

SoonerStormchaser
1/8/2008, 02:29 PM
Yah...we probably wouldn't have beaten Georgia

MextheBulldog
1/8/2008, 02:33 PM
You coulda just said: Make the college playoff look exactly like the NFL playoffs.

frankensooner
1/8/2008, 02:44 PM
Oh crap, another one of these? I would neg him, but he is already redder than Rudolph's nose. ;)

SOONER STEAKER
1/8/2008, 02:47 PM
Why wait to New Years. Start the playoffs 2 weeks after conference titles. Contnue the playoffs with the Championship game being played on New Years day. Why prolong it, the school presidents don't want the team playing in the 3rd week on January.

Get the SEC, Pac10, ACC, Big 12,Big 10, Big East champs with some at large teams and start the playoffs. Those conferences that want in the system, they can have play-in games. If a cnference doesnt want to have a championship game, they can't get in the playoff system.

Those schools that don't make the playoffs, they are the schools that can go to a bowl game.

rubyspirit
1/8/2008, 11:12 PM
4 team playoff MAX ... must play well consistently all season.

goingoneight
1/8/2008, 11:36 PM
Yah...we probably wouldn't have beaten Georgia
I don't know that I buy that. This team played with a lot of fire when something was on the line. After the Colorado loss, they played their hearts out against Texas because their season was on the line. When they lost Sammy, they fought with everything they had to make a game of it at Tech, they beat the dogshat out of OSU so they didn't have to share the BIG 12 South with Texas or anyone else for that matter, and they played with fire in the CCG.

Seems this team, and all of Stoops's teams need motivation, or else they play like what we saw at Colorado, Iowa State and Glendale. Trash-talking, something they REALLY want... something to fight for. Not just a fancy vacation for winning their conference and an exhibition game against a coachless team.

85sooners
1/8/2008, 11:49 PM
:rolleyes: