PDA

View Full Version : As much as I hate LSU...

tbl
1/8/2008, 11:33 AM
They have arrived and are going to be a force in the years to come. It reminds me of Miami making their presence known in the 80's. Sure they don't have a lot of history, but they're making it now, and that's really what counts. I can't stand Lester, but the guy has something going for him. As much as we as fans think he's a pig (KNOW he's a pig), apparently that mindset gets into his players and gets them fired up to play in big games. The guy knows how to win (GAG!).

Again, I hate LSU. All my in-laws on my Mother-in-laws side are from Louisiana so I get to hear from these people constantly. I've used the "OU has 7 NC's and a winning history" as scoreboard in the past, but after last night I can't say anything, especially with us losing 4 straight BCS bowls. They're making history now, while I'm forced to live in it (I know that will change and we will win a MNC again).

LSU is now an official football powerhouse that will always have the ability to win it all. Every kid in that state wants to play at LSU, and they also share a border with the biggest football picking ground in the country. I know they'll go through spells as all college teams do, but they have established themselves.

It really stinks b/c I get to experience these people up close and personal... but you gotta give that program respect.

I'm going to clean up the vomit from my keyboard now... :les:

TopDawg
1/8/2008, 11:36 AM
I don't know. I wanna see Les do it consistently. They'll have the talent to be a solid team every year, but let's not forget that although they won it all, Les put what was arguably the most talented team in the nation just a couple of plays away from being a 4-loss team this year...in a fairly average year for the SEC.

Lott's Bandana
1/8/2008, 11:40 AM
tbl...you have a point but this was a strange year and it is hard to crown a dynasty that has two losses in their MNC season. They remind me more of UDub in the '80s, Tennessee in the '90s...kind of hanging around, taking what is given them.

Methinks UGA is going to be on a run for a while...like that takes a real Nostradamus.

tbl
1/8/2008, 11:45 AM
Well I live in the heart of UGA country and I'm married into LSU, so I'm surrounded by all of them...

I see your points, but I still think they're going to be one of those teams that will always be in the hunt. I agree about Lester, but my main point was about LSU as a program. Even if Lester leaves, they'll always be stout.

First team to get 2 BCS championships. Don't forget that... under two different coaches, coaching staffs, and teams.

Jello Biafra
1/8/2008, 12:44 PM
i disagree . he is losing the last of saban's players this year and is starting in on his own recruits. lets see how he does now.... there is a story to tell that gundy booted 11 from osu after he took over the reigns and i suspect it may take a few years for it to come out but, it will. perriloux has already been in some trouble......i suspect more to come.

achiro
1/8/2008, 12:50 PM
I gotta go with the wait and see crowd. This was a 2 loss team and a true "powerhouse" wouldn't have lost those games...especially one at home! They are a good team but don't overplay it yet.

NYC Poke
1/8/2008, 12:52 PM
i disagree . he is losing the last of saban's players this year and is starting in on his own recruits. lets see how he does now.... there is a story to tell that gundy booted 11 from osu after he took over the reigns and i suspect it may take a few years for it to come out but, it will. perriloux has already been in some trouble......i suspect more to come.

That, along with all the statements Gundy made about running a clean program and recruiting clean, sorta makes you think that Miles doesn't really run a clean program.

SOONER STEAKER
1/8/2008, 12:56 PM
All the ESPN guys listed their top 5 schools for next year and not one picked LSU.

Schools mentioned in no particular order: USC, OU, Mizzou, Florida, UGA, TX. I was surprised as OU was as high as 3 by one of those guys.

MextheBulldog
1/8/2008, 01:30 PM
An LSU fan told me this - their even-numbered years are murderous on the schedule, and the loss of several key players make them down a notch for next year.

But I think Tbl is onto something. It appears a sleeping giant is awake now. They are dominating the La. high schools and do well in Texas. LSU is not going away anytime soon as a national power.

Pigface1
1/8/2008, 01:35 PM
Maybe. . It's not like they dominated this year, they back doored in. If they'd ran the table and hadn't lost to a couple mediocre teams, I'd be a little more concerned.

There's a lot of parity and 10 teams out there that can win it all on any given year.

My question is what the hell's going on in South Bend where those guys are getting all these 5 star recruits again coming off a 3 win season? :confused:

KC//CRIMSON
1/8/2008, 01:36 PM
All the ESPN guys listed their top 5 schools for next year and not one picked LSU.

Schools mentioned in no particular order: USC, OU, Mizzou, Florida, UGA, TX. I was surprised as OU was as high as 3 by one of those guys.

:les: loses around 25 seniors this year, plus any juniors turning pro. It's gonna make a dent.

Pigface1
1/8/2008, 01:37 PM

OU's as good as anyone, right up until January. :rolleyes: :(

Dio
1/8/2008, 01:40 PM
I'd believe in an LSU dynasty more if they had ever won a NC outside of Louisiana.

SoonerStormchaser
1/8/2008, 01:43 PM
Exactly Dio!

BoulderSooner79
1/8/2008, 01:47 PM
:les: loses around 25 seniors this year, plus any juniors turning pro. It's gonna make a dent.

Bingo. Last night, they mentioned that 12 LSU starters were seniors and you gotta believe they have some juniors that could declare. They have their tough games on the road next year and the MNC won't be a home game (which they won't make anyway). Even with the bowl disappointments, OU and tOSU return many key players and will have high expectations next year.

TUSooner
1/8/2008, 02:37 PM
Yes LSU was an eyelash awayfrom losing 4, but they were also just that close to running the table. Here's what imprerssed me about them this year, aside from the evident talent: They played and fought hard down to the wire in every game (except maybe the Tulane game, 1st half). Mock Les Miles all you want, but can we say that about OUr team? I think not. See: CU 2d half, Iowa State, Fiasco Bowl II. I don't count the TT game because we had a game changing injury.

And don't say , "but if we play like we did against _____." That's exactly the problem, we don't always play like that. No team can be "up" at peak level for every game, but noteam should phone in games and halves like we seem to have done.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/8/2008, 02:46 PM
My question is what the hell's going on in South Bend where those guys are getting all these 5 star recruits again coming off a 3 win season? :confused:Now,THAT'S enough to pizz off a diehard Sooner fan!

Desert Sapper
1/8/2008, 02:49 PM
I don't count the TT game because we had a game changing injury.

If you aren't counting the Tech game, I suppose you shouldn't count the 'Fiasco Bowl II', either. We were missing some game-changers on D (Granger and Smith) and possibly the two biggest game-changers on O (Murray and Kelly). If you think losing those personnel hurt less than Sam, you weren't watching the same game I was.

SoonerRecon
1/8/2008, 03:00 PM
I'd believe in an LSU dynasty more if they had ever won a NC outside of Louisiana.

*asterisk-game played in the sugar bowl
we'll see who they get to replace pelini, but it will be a downgrade.

tbl
1/8/2008, 03:34 PM
They won in 2003 without Pellini.

tbl
1/8/2008, 03:44 PM
and that is a very good point. It's amazing the luck they've had getting the opportunity to play in New Orleans. They should have a good team put together by 2011 to play at home again...

I still don't think you guys are giving them enough credit. Since they beat us in 03, they've been a solid team every year. Like I said about the recruiting pool they have, they will continue to be a force.

GrapevineSooner
1/8/2008, 03:55 PM
Not to mention, Lester's 3-0 in bowl games with 2 of those wins coming in BCS Bowls. Which last I checked, is two more BCS bowl wins than we have over that same timespan.

I still don't care for the man. But if you can't see the guy can flat out coach and motivate his team then you've got a little too much crimson tint in your sunglasses.

Pigface1
1/8/2008, 04:54 PM

lol OU may be undefeated in BCS bowls if there was a bowl in OKC every year.

Pigface1
1/8/2008, 04:57 PM
Not to mention, Lester's 3-0 in bowl games with 2 of those wins coming in BCS Bowls. Which last I checked, is two more BCS bowl wins than we have over that same timespan.

I still don't care for the man. But if you can't see the guy can flat out coach and motivate his team then you've got a little too much crimson tint in your sunglasses.

Without question he can get the guys motivated and fired up.

tulsaoilerfan
1/8/2008, 05:06 PM
Maybe. . It's not like they dominated this year, they back doored in. If they'd ran the table and hadn't lost to a couple mediocre teams, I'd be a little more concerned.

There's a lot of parity and 10 teams out there that can win it all on any given year.

My question is what the hell's going on in South Bend where those guys are getting all these 5 star recruits again coming off a 3 win season? :confused:
I would guess that all those 5 stars figure they can play right away, and they are probably right. :)

tulsaoilerfan
1/8/2008, 05:08 PM
Who gives a ****? The trophy is still the same no matter where you win it