PDA

View Full Version : 5 thoughts on the 2007 season.

SoonerStormchaser
1/8/2008, 10:40 AM
First of all...I posted an 18-14 record in my bowl picks (I changed the FSU/Kentucky pick after the suspensions were handed down).

1. OU...for the love of God...don't ever play in the Fiesta Bowl again! It's bad enough that we as fans have to suffer with players getting five finger discounts from Burlington Coat Factory...but to lay two massive eggs in Glendale TWO YEARS IN A ROW is a sign that the program lacks focus on games that all the pundits say they should win in a walk. I'm not calling for the big heads to roll, but there needs to be some changes in the staff. Big XII titles are nice, but to make a total mockery out of what Oklahoma football stands for the past two years is embarrassing to watch as a fan. Luckily, I was on a plane back to San Antonio on January 2nd...so I missed this year's installment. But my wife didn't...

2. Ohio State...see #1. And the next time you're stuck in a bowl game against a SEC opponent, just spare us the time and forfeit. And also see my previous argument about who you've played. The one team that beat you before last night got absolutely castrated by the fighting Condoms in a game they had no business being in. Michigan? I'll chalk that up to the "win one for the Gipper" syndrome.

3. With the exception of the ECU/Boise and WVU/OU beatdowns, there were very few really big upsets this bowl season...a complete 180 turn from the regular season. Boise St. beating OU opened the door for parity in 2007...I believe that door slammed shut once the bowl games got underway. Look for a return to normalcy in 2008.

4. In spite of #3, I'm a HUGE proponent of a playoff system...and hope the Rose Bowl isn't included in that system. The Rose Bowl has given us a bunch of steaming piles of dog **** for matchups the past few years (save the Texass/Condom game)...all for the sake of "tradition." Next time, give us matchups people want to see. I'll give you a hint on what you should've done this year: USC vs. Georgia.

5. I didn't watch a single bowl game from start to finish this season. I didn't watch a single minute of ANY BCS game. Why? It's absolutely amazing how things change once you make the jump from college to career/married life. I absolutely used to get worked up over OU games. Nowadays, it's like "If I miss it, no big deal...they're still playing the game and will win or lose regardless of whether I watch." I know I love talking about it, analyzing it, etc. But you all need to remember the first rule of college football: IT'S ONLY A GAME!

I'm out...see you in August.

Post your additional thoughts below.

sanantoniosooner
1/8/2008, 10:45 AM
Just the football folder or the South Oval too?;)

SoonerStormchaser
1/8/2008, 10:46 AM
No...I migrate to the SO for my winter-summer residence!

sanantoniosooner
1/8/2008, 10:47 AM
DOH!

OUmillenium
1/8/2008, 10:49 AM
and you can usually catch every important game reshown multiple times on the various ESPNs

TopDawg
1/8/2008, 11:00 AM
3. With the exception of the ECU/Boise and WVU/OU beatdowns, there were very few really big upsets this bowl season...a complete 180 turn from the regular season. Boise St. beating OU opened the door for parity in 2007...I believe that door slammed shut once the bowl games got underway. Look for a return to normalcy in 2008.

According to the lines, Michigan over Florida was a bigger upset than ours. But there really aren't a whole lot of opportunities for big upsets in bowl season because the whole idea is to pair up teams that are fairly evenly matched.

Ironically, 3 of the 4 BCS bowls featured teams that were at least 7 point favorites (Georgia, USC and OU), but in the other 28 games, there were only 7 teams that were at least 7 point favorites.

Jello Biafra
1/8/2008, 11:20 AM
5. I didn't watch a single bowl game from start to finish this season. I didn't watch a single minute of ANY BCS game. Why? It's absolutely amazing how things change once you make the jump from college to career/married life. I absolutely used to get worked up over OU games. Nowadays, it's like "If I miss it, no big deal...they're still playing the game and will win or lose regardless of whether I watch." I know I love talking about it, analyzing it, etc. But you all need to remember the first rule of college football: IT'S ONLY A GAME!

Post your additional thoughts below.

mmmhmmmm.....i said the exact same thing about 15 years ago....... about the 5th or 6th year........anyway, nevermind......

see ya for recruiting