PDA

View Full Version : Dropped $1600 on a new mattress last night

TopDaugIn2000
1/8/2008, 09:17 AM
it better take care of some of these back problems. I'm tired of being doped up on muscle relaxers and pain pills. (wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee)

my mattress was only 4 years old, but it wasn't high quality when I bought it and it was way too soft. Also, after sleeping in the middle for so long, I felt as though I was sleeping in a taco shell.

it'll be delivered tonight. I may never get out of bed again.

OUDoc
1/8/2008, 09:21 AM
Stop wearing them out and this won't be a problem. [/ducks]

TopDaugIn2000
1/8/2008, 09:25 AM
true

crawfish
1/8/2008, 09:45 AM
Most expensive gigolo ever. :eek:

OU4LIFE
1/8/2008, 09:46 AM
Stop wearing them out and this won't be a problem. [/ducks]

leave her alone Doc, a girls gotta make a livin...

sanantoniosooner
1/8/2008, 09:52 AM
must have been a little guy if you dropped him.

frankensooner
1/8/2008, 10:01 AM
Way to go, Bruce! ;)

TopDaugIn2000
1/8/2008, 10:15 AM
true that. think I can count it off of my taxes for a "work related" expense???

soonerbrat
1/8/2008, 10:34 AM
when you dropped that $1600 did it bounce?

TopDaugIn2000
1/8/2008, 10:36 AM
hasn't yet.....

soonerbrat
1/8/2008, 10:37 AM
so it's not a bouncy mattress?

dolemitesooner
1/8/2008, 10:59 AM
You should have used the $1600 on other things to help your back. ;)

bri
1/8/2008, 11:06 AM
Breast reduction, FTW!

dolemitesooner
1/8/2008, 11:15 AM
Breast reduction, FTW!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :mad:

Lott's Bandana
1/8/2008, 11:20 AM
Did you look for a big, giant-*** PEA?

SoonerInKCMO
1/8/2008, 09:33 PM
What kind of mattress sets a girl back $1,600? One of those foamy ones? One of those adjustable ones where the old guy in the commercial is working out by curling 2-lb. dumbells?

TopDaugIn2000
1/8/2008, 09:44 PM
a Stearns & Foster Elite, it's Serta's "Luxury" brand.

it was just delivered, w00t!

TopDaugIn2000
1/8/2008, 09:46 PM
http://www.mattressfirm.com/productDetail.aspx?productID=501

soonerboomer93
1/8/2008, 10:04 PM
select comforts are supposed to be da bombz

bluedogok
1/8/2008, 10:22 PM
That is what we plan on getting, we did the "test in the store" but weren't real sure about it for what they were asking. When we went to Indy for the Formula 1 race we stayed at a Radisson Hotel, they all have Select Comfort beds in the rooms. After 3 nights on it we decided that when we do get a new mattress that will be what we get.

reevie
1/8/2008, 10:31 PM
Ok...so TD2K now has a $1600 matress and some crazy chair.

I've done something wrong with my life

TopDaugIn2000
1/8/2008, 10:32 PM
lol

achiro
1/8/2008, 11:03 PM
Best mattress out there right now:

http://www.isleep.com/Showroom/homepage.asp

RADsooner
1/9/2008, 12:44 AM

I have one, a king-- and let me tell you- it is by far the best thing I have evar bought, even better than my 65" screen tv, if there was a divorce- the fight would be over the bed, not the kids..............:D

KABOOKIE
1/9/2008, 12:54 AM
GD. I betcha that mattress salesman is enjoying his $1400 commission.

goingoneight
1/9/2008, 01:05 AM
I don't remember, but I think my whirlpool was less than $1600... just sayin'

r5TPsooner
1/9/2008, 01:12 AM
it better take care of some of these back problems. I'm tired of being doped up on muscle relaxers and pain pills. (wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee)

my mattress was only 4 years old, but it wasn't high quality when I bought it and it was way too soft. Also, after sleeping in the middle for so long, I felt as though I was sleeping in a taco shell.

I feel your pain. I'll be having back surgery next month and it scares the hell out of me. The pain is unbearable but having to be dependent on pain pills just to function and play with my kids on a daily basis, made the decision easier. Personally, I wouldn't wish the physical pain that I've been in for the past four months on my own worst enemy.

Good luck to you and I hope that the new mattress works. We went thru four in a one month span and the one we finally chose has been decent. If I had it to do all over again... I would have went with a Sleep Number Bed.

proud gonzo
1/9/2008, 02:06 AM
pilates. YWIA.

Okla-homey
1/9/2008, 07:22 AM

You are a smart lady. Architect and all. Now, put on your critical thinking cap. Mattress company marketing notwithstanding, and beyond the effect of the psychological power of suggestion, how in the name of St. Luke could a mattress possibly help alleviate chronic back pain?

Other than that, enjoy your purchase. Remember to flip it at least once a year. That will make it last longer.

1stTimeCaller
1/9/2008, 08:10 AM
My mattress is over 20 years old. I have no idea how many miles my parents put on it but it keeps me from sleeping on the ground and it was free!

Come to think of it, when I have lunch with my mom and grandparents today Ineed to ask her if I was conceived on that mattress.

sanantoniosooner
1/9/2008, 08:15 AM
My mattress is over 20 years old. I have no idea how many miles my parents put on it but it keeps me from sleeping on the ground and it was free!

Come to think of it, when I have lunch with my mom and grandparents today Ineed to ask her if I was conceived on that mattress.
Everything makes sense now.

Combine self-loathing with the psychological trigger of your point of origin and you soil the spot repeatedly.

1stTimeCaller
1/9/2008, 08:21 AM
I've never peed on this bed, Pumpkin.

sanantoniosooner
1/9/2008, 08:24 AM
Smart enough to use rubber sheets at home.

Good boy.

Howzit
1/9/2008, 08:54 AM

You were.

Seems like only yesterday...

TopDaugIn2000
1/9/2008, 09:13 AM
You are a smart lady. Architect and all. Now, put on your critical thinking cap. Mattress company marketing notwithstanding, and beyond the effect of the psychological power of suggestion, how in the name of St. Luke could a mattress possibly help alleviate chronic back pain?

Other than that, enjoy your purchase. Remember to flip it at least once a year. That will make it last longer.

the fact that it is sunk in the middle, that I can never find a comfortable position when sleeping, toss and turn, wake up hurting, etc, made me think I might need a new one. And now that I'm not a poor student, I feel that a mattress is something I shouldn't skimp on.

oh, and I slept much better last night. much much better. maybe it is psychological, who knows, but I'm just glad to have slept so good.

OUDoc
1/9/2008, 09:17 AM
A bad mattress can really funk up your back.

Okla-homey
1/9/2008, 09:53 AM
A bad mattress can really funk up your back.

mmmkay. I know you are a doctor and all, and I respect you and your medical opinions. However, if the above statment is accurate, please explain why humanity was not universally plagued with chronic back pain for the several millenia preceeding the development of these new-fangled, hi-tech, orthopedic-y high-dollar spring bags (a/k/a mattresses)? hmmmm?

Frankly, I'd wager the best sleep surface is a pallet on the floor, since that's the way humans slept for about a bajillion years or so. That said, I prefer a bed with a mattress and box springs because I find it more comfy. And it keeps me above the dust bunnies and nocturnal creepy crawlers and what not. But, I have no delusions mattress sleeping helps my back.

Oh yeah, one other thing consumers don't generally know. There are only a couple mattress factories in the whole danged US. Thus, the brand name lable is what folks are paying for. Finally, those couple of mattress factories, which sell to over a dozen or so big wholesalers, who in turn affix myriad "brand name" labels, makes comparison shopping practically impossible. The mattress retailers like it that way.

sanantoniosooner
1/9/2008, 09:56 AM
I stopped buying $100 khakis so I could afford a decent mattress ;)

OU4LIFE
1/9/2008, 10:02 AM
I stopped buying $100 khakis so I could afford a decent mattress ;)

:pop:

frankensooner
1/9/2008, 10:02 AM
I saw on 20/20 that you should never get a refurbished mattress.

OUDoc
1/9/2008, 10:03 AM
Frankly, I'd wager the best sleep surface is a pallet on the floor, since that's the way humans slept for about a bajillion years or so.
Maybe it's because of mattresses. What do I know? Ask achiro. :D

TopDaugIn2000
1/9/2008, 10:27 AM
I went to the walk-in sunday nite because I was in so much pain. Lower back mostly, but also pain in my right thigh, which must mean it's on a nerve. They just threw some pills at it (as expected, but helps control the pain) and told me to make an appointment with my family doc. That appointment is Friday morning. Hopefully he'll send me to someone that can find out the source of the problem, and not just drug me up.

TopDaugIn2000
1/9/2008, 10:30 AM
I saw on 20/20 that you should never get a refurbished mattress.

ewww. gross.

Okla-homey
1/9/2008, 10:43 AM
I'll tell ya a leetle secret. When me and Mrs Homey were first married, we were pretty broke. Young and dumb and straight outta college.

We bought a mattress set from a motel surplus outfit in OKC. We got to pick it out from giant stacks of mattreses. We picked the least stained one we could find.

That's right. A double bed set that literally countless thousands had done lawd knows what on. It slept pretty good. We sold it in a garage sale about five years later. Got almost what we paid for it. hee-hee.

NormanPride
1/9/2008, 11:20 AM
We have a waterbed with about 10 different cells in it to reduce waves and stuff. I hate it. It's a pain to manage, and it's way too hard to refill/change firmness/do anything. Almost every mattress I've slept on in the past 3 years other than mine has been better. So, where does one go to get a new mattress if they don't want to get screwed?

sanantoniosooner
1/9/2008, 11:21 AM
So, where does one go to get a new mattress if they don't want to get screwed?
You are to early in your marriage to be looking for a screwless matress.

TopDaugIn2000
1/9/2008, 11:27 AM
We have a waterbed with about 10 different cells in it to reduce waves and stuff. I hate it. It's a pain to manage, and it's way too hard to refill/change firmness/do anything. Almost every mattress I've slept on in the past 3 years other than mine has been better. So, where does one go to get a new mattress if they don't want to get screwed?

I used to have one of those back in high school. I loved it then, but can't imagine sleeping on it now.

I think I did OK at Mattress Firm, they seemed pretty knowledgeable about their products and asked me all kinds of questions about my sleeping habits and positions and such. I probably could have haggled with her a little more, but I was in pain and just wanted to get home so I could take more drugs.

OUDoc
1/9/2008, 11:33 AM
Homey will sell you his.

TopDaugIn2000
1/9/2008, 11:34 AM
ZING!

soonerbrat
1/9/2008, 12:34 PM
I went to the walk-in sunday nite because I was in so much pain. Lower back mostly, but also pain in my right thigh, which must mean it's on a nerve. They just threw some pills at it (as expected, but helps control the pain) and told me to make an appointment with my family doc. That appointment is Friday morning. Hopefully he'll send me to someone that can find out the source of the problem, and not just drug me up.

yoga, seriously.

proud gonzo
1/9/2008, 12:41 PM
or pilates. like i already said :D

IB4OU2
1/9/2008, 12:42 PM
or Lortab...

Okla-homey
1/9/2008, 12:52 PM

My advice? Walk in to any mattress store, lie down on a few. Choose. Remember, odds are even the different brands are made in the same factory.

Then ask the salesperson, "so, how much will this set me back? NOT sticker, and none of your innerspring, orthopaedist-approved mumbo-jumbo! Bottomline it for me sister because time is money!"

Then, when she makes an offer, counter-offer 25% lower and tell her you'll figure out a way to get it home.:D

TopDaugIn2000
1/9/2008, 12:55 PM
or Lortab...

hasn't helped

neither has the norflex muscle relaxers

or the Ibuprofin 800 for inflamation

sanantoniosooner
1/9/2008, 12:58 PM
hasn't helped

neither has the norflex muscle relaxers

or the Ibuprofin 800 for inflamation
same here.

I'm trying Tramadol right now.

proud gonzo
1/9/2008, 01:03 PM
well, obviously pain medications aren't going to cure a bad back. they're only trying to make you not feel pain, not actually fix the problem.

TopDaugIn2000
1/9/2008, 01:04 PM
yes, which is why I have an appointment Friday so hopefully he'll send me to someone that CAN fix it

sanantoniosooner
1/9/2008, 01:08 PM
well, obviously pain medications aren't going to cure a bad back. they're only trying to make you not feel pain, not actually fix the problem.
most of the time my lower back pain will work itself out. The only way to "work" it though, is to use some pain reliever.

OUDoc
1/9/2008, 01:29 PM
How much would it cost to have you go door-to-door and tell my patients that?

(Some of them don't get it, or don't care, or both. Just give me the drugs, Doc.)

achiro
1/9/2008, 01:31 PM
Is this thing on? [tap, tap, tap]

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/2030377/Microphone_Thumb.jpg

OUDoc
1/9/2008, 01:32 PM
It's a shame achiro won't tell us what he thinks.

sanantoniosooner
1/9/2008, 01:39 PM
I've been to the chiropracter 3 times, with some improvement. The first time was out of state and a waste of time. The last two have been with a local guy that has helped me several times in the past.

And to my regular doctor once for some pain relief.

I think I'm about out of the woods now, but I've never had back pain hang around more than a couple of days before this.

TopDaugIn2000
1/9/2008, 02:37 PM
I was wondering if/when Achiro would show up....

IB4OU2
1/9/2008, 02:41 PM
If you ask me a good spinal fusion would do the trick.

achiro
1/9/2008, 02:50 PM
If you ask me a good spinal fusion would do the trick.
Sounds good to me.

achiro
1/9/2008, 03:04 PM
OK so here goes my opinion on a good mattress. I use to tell folks to go with as firm a mattress as they could handle for support. If they needed some softness then go with a pillowtop with as firm an underlay as you could find(not the box springs, the actual under mattress). So the thought that a couple of pallets on the floor would work is actually not far off the mark. Many recent studies show though that comfort is important to reach certain sleep phases and if you were on the hard floor your back might feel better but deep sleep may suffer.

I went with the isleep because it was basically built with the help of a sleep study lab. They added several features just to help reach certain phases of sleep quicker. Seriously, check it out if you are in the market for a new mattress. The bed is great and customer service is second to none. They build the mattress for you, when you call them they will ask questions like your weight, height, side of the bed you sleep on, side sleeper, back sleeper, or belly sleeper. Activity levels, health issues, etc, etc. If you have the bed and something changes, like a pregnancy, they will send different mid-section baffles for you to use for a while. Anyway, price is similar to other sleep adjustment, or memory foam mattresses. We have a California King and love it.
BTW, the thought that a mattress won't affect your back problems is incorrect. ;) The thought that a mattress alone will be a cure all is incorrect as well.

'Course I have no answers when it comes to helping your back pain.

OU4LIFE
1/9/2008, 03:08 PM
'Course I have no answers when it comes to helping your back pain.

I always go with a quick left-hand jab to the ribs.

achiro
1/9/2008, 03:16 PM
I always go with a quick left-hand jab to the ribs.
Thanks for the tip, I will use that one some people this afternoon and get back to ya.

OU4LIFE
1/9/2008, 03:21 PM
make sure you have a shovel. It's just not the same without a shovel.

achiro
1/9/2008, 03:41 PM
make sure you have a shovel. It's just not the same without a shovel.
DANG IT! Thats what was wrong. Just to be clear, I am left handed, still use the left hand or go with the right?

OU4LIFE
1/9/2008, 04:04 PM
I would definitely go with the RIGHT jab. A correct handed jab can cause paralysis.

frankensooner
1/9/2008, 04:08 PM
You should just get a mallet like in the three stooges and whack 'em real hard like!

TopDaugIn2000
1/11/2008, 12:19 PM
Went to see my family doc today, he scheduled an MRI for the 17th (earliest they could get me in) and until then he gave me stronger muscles relaxers and pain pills, along with steroids. Said it sounds like a 'slipped disk'. :(

Newbomb Turk
1/11/2008, 12:40 PM
Many recent studies show though that comfort is important to reach certain sleep phases and if you were on the hard floor your back might feel better but deep sleep may suffer.

I've had chronic lower back problems for years. Sleeping was always uncomfortable and I woke up feeling worse.

Now, as soon as I feel my back starting to give me problems, I sleep on a cheap futon we have in our spare room. Just a thin pad on a metal frame, but I wake up with my back feeling better.

TD - hope you get to feeling better.

OUDoc
1/11/2008, 12:47 PM
I've had chronic lower back problems for years. Sleeping was always uncomfortable and I woke up feeling worse.

Now, as soon as I feel my back starting to give me problems, I sleep on a cheap futon we have in our spare room. Just a thin pad on a metal frame, but I wake up with my back feeling better.

TD - hope you get to feeling better.
That's a thinly-veiled attempt to get her to sleep with you if I ever saw one.

Newbomb Turk
1/11/2008, 12:55 PM
That's a thinly-veiled attempt to get her to sleep with you if I ever saw one.

I wonder if my wife would notice TD on the futon with me.

:pop:

TopDaugIn2000
1/11/2008, 12:57 PM
hahahaa, that's hilarious

OKC-SLC
1/11/2008, 01:05 PM

(Some of them don't get it, or don't care, or both. Just give me the drugs, Doc.)
No kidding.

proud gonzo
1/11/2008, 03:51 PM

(Some of them don't get it, or don't care, or both. Just give me the drugs, Doc.)I've been going to get my back popped 2-3 times a year since high school because it gets out of alignment sometimes. Since I started taking pilates this past semester, i haven't had any problems at all. And that's even with sitting in a horrible desk chair in front of a computer for hours on end.

Cam
1/12/2008, 11:55 AM
They are. They're worth every penny. As long as the company's in business, my bed will always have a select comfort system.

SleestakSooner
1/12/2008, 12:20 PM
I bought my last bed from an old feller in Norman who had been building them in his little garage out back on Nebraska Street for over 40 years. He brought me out to his workshop and showed me the process. He told me he and his wife had been building mattresses for the Mathis Brothers and their ilk. They put both their children through college and earned a fair living doing that alone.

And the best part, I paid only $300 for the whole thing including a frame. Same mattress would have cost at least twice that after Gerbil Shovers Furniture shoved one of their "name brand" tags on it.