PDA

View Full Version : Tressel = Stoops?

Indy Sooner
1/8/2008, 07:56 AM
Early MNC, consistently defeats the big arch-rival and wins conference championships, but has been haunted lately by BCS bowl embarrassments, particularly a couple which could have added to the single MNC on the resume?

Sooner_Bob
1/8/2008, 08:00 AM
Yeah, I'm sure the national media will run with that . . .

sanantoniosooner
1/8/2008, 08:31 AM
I don't see the connection.

Bob wears visors.

Jim wears sweater vests.

sooneron
1/8/2008, 08:46 AM
Jim has a winning bcs bowl record.... still.

CincySooner
1/8/2008, 08:51 AM
I think what we are seeing is the law of averages catching up to Stoops and Tressel. I fully expect it to catch up with Pete Carroll pretty soon and Les Miles down the road.

No one is perfect.

OUDoc
1/8/2008, 08:57 AM
I don't see the connection.

Bob wears visors.

Jim wears sweater vests.
Visor=hat with no top.
Sweater vest=sweater with no sleeves.

They're both missing something.

Italics are cool.

XingTheRubicon
1/8/2008, 09:05 AM
It is kind of eerie though....

In his 2nd Season, Tressel, as a double digit dog, wins the NC by defeating the defending champion from the state of Florida to finish a magical undefeated season. Then after a couple of years good, but not great seasons, but dominating the conference and their main rival, Tressel loses in the NC game as a touchdown favorite. He follows that loss up with an embarrassing loss as a slight dog in the next NC game.

JaminT
1/8/2008, 09:54 AM
So they're gonna lose to michigan the next two years?

OUDoc
1/8/2008, 09:59 AM
All smart-assness aside, I thought the same thing last night.
MNC in 2nd year, and back-to-back uninspired losses in the MNC game.
But Stoops is still way cooler than Tressel.

devOUt
1/8/2008, 10:00 AM
That means Michigan will win the BCS Championship next year.

OUDoc
1/8/2008, 10:09 AM
That means Michigan will win the BCS Championship next year.
Only if Rodriguez embraces rap music on his iPod.

edit: wrong team's coach

BoulderSooner79
1/8/2008, 10:31 AM
Discounting any historical comparisons, I thought the tOSU game plan looked like the OU game plans from this year. Very vanilla on both sides of the ball while LSU mixed things up alot. On D, you could see LSU using man, zone, zone blitz, blitz + man, etc. tOSU was in cover-2 with a 4 man rush most the time. The few blitzes they ran were so telegraphed, Flynn had plenty of time to hit the outlet guy.

TopDawg
1/8/2008, 10:35 AM
They also both lost to LSU in the Superdome for one of the games and both had a Heisman-winning QB in their second title game.

Curly Bill
1/8/2008, 10:38 AM
Watching the game last night I too had thoughts of how much tosu reminded me of the current version of OU, and yeah the Stoops/Tressel similarity also occurred to me. What that means I do not know.

Curly Bill
1/8/2008, 10:40 AM
So, has OU turned into a Big-10 type team as some peeps on here have previously pointed out? Stoops is an old Ohio boy as we all know.

cccasooner2
1/8/2008, 10:43 AM
I think what we are seeing is the law of averages catching up to Stoops and Tressel. I fully expect it to catch up with Pete Carroll pretty soon and Les Miles down the road.

No one is perfect.

Great, now Stoops,Tressel, Carroll , and Miles are law breakers. Buncha thugs!

OUmillenium
1/8/2008, 10:44 AM
OU visor = $14.99
Ohio St sweater vest = $49.99

Correlations in this thread = PRICELESS!

KC//CRIMSON
1/8/2008, 01:22 PM
Tressel = Stoops?

Not yet. Tressel would have to get bitch slapped in two more BCS bowl games to get even.

OUDoc
1/8/2008, 01:25 PM
OU visor = $14.99
Ohio St sweater vest = $49.99

Correlations in this thread = PRICELESS!
So you're saying Tressel is 3.3X better than Bob?

Civicus_Sooner
1/8/2008, 01:36 PM
Not yet. Tressel would have to get bitch slapped in two more BCS bowl games to get even.If by bitch slapped you mean lose two by a combined 8 points, I agree.

MextheBulldog
1/8/2008, 01:44 PM
Discounting any historical comparisons, I thought the tOSU game plan looked like the OU game plans from this year. Very vanilla on both sides of the ball while LSU mixed things up alot.

When healthy:
OU offense >>> tOSU offense - Bucks had one legit weapon? (Wells)
OU defense = tOSU defense (or you could make the case the tOSU D was better)

KC//CRIMSON
1/8/2008, 01:47 PM
If by bitch slapped you mean lose two by a combined 8 points, I agree.

Yeah, cause that Bosie game was really close for four quarters, huh?:rolleyes:

Civicus_Sooner
1/8/2008, 01:50 PM
Yeah, cause that Bosie game was really close for four quarters, huh?:rolleyes:Whatever dude. That game was a fluke and God and everyone knows it. Overtime + three trick plays does not = an a ss kicking.

KC//CRIMSON
1/8/2008, 01:58 PM
Whatever dude. That game was a fluke and God and everyone knows it. Overtime + three trick plays does not = an a ss kicking.

We got owned for three and a half quarters and embarrassed again on national television. Fluke or not, that is fact.

Tressel has three BCS Fiesta Bowl trophies. How many does Stoops have? I can't remember?

Civicus_Sooner
1/8/2008, 02:02 PM
We got owned for three and a half quarters and embarrassed again on national television. Fluke or not, that is fact.

Tressel has three BCS Fiesta Bowl trophies. How many does Stoops have? I can't remember?
That's a complete exaggeration of what happened. I was there I should know. What happened this year was embarrassing but not last year. I wish we would have won but it was one exciting game. One of the all time greats.

Civicus_Sooner
1/8/2008, 02:04 PM
BTW - I wouldn't trade Stoops for Tressel.

BIG_IKE
1/8/2008, 02:06 PM
dont they both have Youngstown State Penguin ties?

Redgiant2
1/8/2008, 03:36 PM
That's a complete exaggeration of what happened. I was there I should know. What happened this year was embarrassing but not last year. I wish we would have won but it was one exciting game. One of the all time greats.

Where did you buy those rose colored glasses at? I think I should like to purchase a pair. When you've got a defense being owned by trick plays, one right after another, there's a problem. At least OS adjusted to them instead of banging their heads on the ground and looking puzzled on the sidelines with their mouths hanging open.

Redgiant2
1/8/2008, 03:43 PM

Tressel's coaching staff is not half bad. They had what 2 seniors starting last night? Next year will be the tale of the tape. They should be pretty well loaded and relatively deep. If they get manhandled again next year I'd start to wonder. I think Jimmy should've scripted his entire game too. After it ran out he sank into his old play calling habits until he switched to panic mode.

Civicus_Sooner
1/8/2008, 04:06 PM
Where did you buy those rose colored glasses at? I think I should like to purchase a pair. When you've got a defense being owned by trick plays, one right after another, there's a problem. At least OS adjusted to them instead of banging their heads on the ground and looking puzzled on the sidelines with their mouths hanging open.You are so very enlightening.:rolleyes: Are you even a Sooner Fan?

Civicus_Sooner
1/8/2008, 04:08 PM
Tressel's coaching staff is not half bad. They had what 2 seniors starting last night? Next year will be the tale of the tape. They should be pretty well loaded and relatively deep. If they get manhandled again next year I'd start to wonder. I think Jimmy should've scripted his entire game too. After it ran out he sank into his old play calling habits until he switched to panic mode.
Talk about Rose colored glasses. After a cheap TD in the first (busted play), tOSU got prison raped by Les Frickin Miles and his two loss band of thugs.

BoulderSooner79
1/8/2008, 04:48 PM
Where did you buy those rose colored glasses at? I think I should like to purchase a pair. When you've got a defense being owned by trick plays, one right after another, there's a problem. At least OS adjusted to them instead of banging their heads on the ground and looking puzzled on the sidelines with their mouths hanging open.

The only trick play that bothered me was the hook and ladder that tied the game. That should have *never* worked even if it was executed perfectly. There should have been someone there to tackle either post-pass or post lateral. The statue of liberty play to which we have been treated oh so many times was just a spread the field and hand-off play. The silly fake made no difference as they had everyone blocked. Ian Johnson was there go-to guy and we should have keyed on him regardless of alignment. I didn't like getting beat on that play, but it wasn't really a trick.

Jacie
1/8/2008, 04:59 PM
Cue eerie music now

Bob Stoops & Jim Tressel similarities . . .

Both coaches are known by the three-letter short version of their Christian names . . .

Both last names have (gasp!) a letter t, two s's, and a pair of the same vowel!

If you still don't believe this is proof of something like ESP or life after death then you wait'll I show you my pictures of Big Foot!

NYC Poke
1/8/2008, 05:07 PM
Cue eerie music now

Bob Stoops & Jim Tressel similarities . . .

Both coaches are known by the three-letter short version of their Christian names . . .

Both last names have (gasp!) a letter t, two s's, and a pair of the same vowel!

If you still don't believe this is proof of something like ESP or life after death then you wait'll I show you my pictures of Big Foot!

And neither have been in Cliff's mother's kitchen.

Let's maintain perspective about coaches' accomplishments

By Matt Hayes - SportingNews

NEW ORLEANS -- So I'm sitting here in the postmortem LSU lovefest, and it hits me.

Four months ago, Tigers coach Les Miles was a guy who couldn't win a big game and -- more importantly -- had underachieved with two extremely talented teams. Four months ago, Jim Tressel and Bob Stoops were the best coaches in college football.

Now Miles is Vince Lombardi. And Tressel and Stoops are Vince McMahon.

This is what it has come to in this grand game of ours: It's all about No. 1.

Look, I'm as guilty as the next guy, but at some point, we have to step back, take a deep breath and understand this for what it is. One team is going to win it all, 118 others aren't.

Today in Columbus, Ohio, and for the last week in Norman, Okla., talk radio and message boards nuts are in pig heaven: down and dirty dissection of their programs and coaches. Stoops has lost his mojo; Tressel has to change coordinators and give up play-calling.

To this I say: Has the whole world gone mad?

Big Game Bob's Sooner teams have lost four straight BCS bowl games, and all of a sudden you can't tell the difference between Oklahoma and Okie State.

In case anyone remembers: Stoops is also 5-1 in Big 12 Championship games.

Tressel's Buckeyes have lost the last two BCS national title games by a combined 38 points -- and, horror of horrors, to an SEC school each time.

Apparently, he can't get his team ready to play athletic, physical teams.

In case anyone remembers: Tressel's "slow" team beat Miami -- the most-talented, gifted, fastest college football team in the last 50 years -- in the 2002 national title game. And no matter the outcome, Tressel's teams have played in three of the last five national title games.

How many of the 119 Division I teams would take that?

"Your last game," Tressel says, "Is the game everyone remembers."

But at some point, there must be perspective.

So you're upset with Tressel's two-game losing streak in the big game?

Could be worse, he could be 2-10-1 in The Game and hawking hot tubs or snow tires on television. Instead, he's merely 6-1 vs. Michigan and has won the Big Ten in four of his seven seasons.

So Big Game Bob has suddenly morphed into Big Game Bust? Let's see, he's the king of his conference and he owns his rival (6-3 vs. Texas). I mean, I know that's not John Blake/Gary Gibbs stuff, but he's working on it, folks.

Want a true measure of coaching ability? Both Tressel and Stoops began this season with first-year starting quarterbacks. Each player won 11 of 13 games they started and completed.

Miles had a first-year starting quarterback, too. And Matt Flynn played better than Todd Boeckman and Sam Bradford in the last game of the season.

It's just that simple.

I'm not minimizing what Miles accomplished this season. He held together a talented team that could've easily fractured at numerous points, and had them ready to play in the game that mattered most.

That's not Lombardi. It's seizing the moment.

Like it or not, it's all about No. 1.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=ApQC4S87_AJIfTwxvzZ4vOYcvrYF?slug=letsma intainperspectivea&prov=tsn&type=lgns

mdklatt
1/8/2008, 05:41 PM
Stoops has a secretary named Lincoln, and Tressel has a secretary named Kennedy...FREAKY!!

:eek:

85sooners
1/8/2008, 05:43 PM
:eek:
Not yet. Tressel would have to get bitch slapped in two more BCS bowl games to get even.:eek:

soonernation
1/8/2008, 08:21 PM

Not true. If OU does not go down 14 points in the 1st quarter then this is just another OU win. Those kids AND the coaches fought their *** off to get back in this game. If you say OU was owned for 3.5 quarters you didn't watch the game or you're just to ****ed right now to make sense.

Stoops has 1 BCS Orange Bowl Trophy and 1 BCS Rose Bowl Trophy. How many does Tressel have? I can't remember.

KC//CRIMSON
1/8/2008, 09:01 PM
soonernation - Not true. If OU does not go down 14 points in the 1st quarter then this is just another OU win. Those kids AND the coaches fought their *** off to get back in this game. If you say OU was owned for 3.5 quarters you didn't watch the game or you're just to ****ed right now to make sense.
Were you watching the game on crack? Boise out played OU for 3.5 quarters. OU's defense couldn't stop a bunch of white boys from running or passing all over the place. AD ran for a whopping 70 yards. Paul Thompson threw three interceptions (one for a pick six) and Boise had a 28-10 lead in the middle of the third quarter. (I'll spare you all the cluster*uck trick plays) We got punk'd.

soonernation -Stoops has 1 BCS Orange Bowl Trophy and 1 BCS Rose Bowl Trophy. How many does Tressel have? I can't remember.
Tressel is 4-2 in the BCS. What's Stoops record again? I can't remember?:rolleyes:

Not only do you see through *crimson* glasses, you type in it. Nice.

FYI - Howard *************** started that "Sooner Nation" crap and OU fans hate it. The more you know....

Big Red Ron
1/8/2008, 09:25 PM
Tressel is 4-2 in the BCS. What's Stoops record again? I can't remember?:rolleyes:
....Stoops is also 5-1 in conference championship games. How many conference championship games has Tress won again? I can't remember?:rolleyes:

soonernation
1/8/2008, 09:45 PM
Were you watching the game on crack? Boise out played OU for 3.5 quarters. OU's defense couldn't stop a bunch of white boys from running or passing all over the place. AD ran for a whopping 70 yards. Paul Thompson threw three interceptions (one for a pick six) and Boise had a 28-10 lead in the middle of the third quarter. (I'll spare you all the cluster*uck trick plays) We got punk'd.

Actually AD ran for 77 yards but I'm not going to split hairs.

Let's see if I can make this any more clear for your simple mind.

OU had 23 first downs and BS had 16.
OU had 174 yards rushing and BS had 110.

Passing was OU 233 to BS 267.

Just in case you can't add that's 407 yards for OU and 377 BS.

OU was down 14 points half way through 1st quarter. That means that OU beat BS by 14 for 3.5 quarters of regulation.

Now tell me how that's getting owned. OU should beat Boise by 30 most years but 06 was different. OU overachieved in 06. All the **** that team went through at the beginning of the year and then lose the best player on the team against Iowa State and still win the Big 12 was HUGE. Your memory is short.

tOSU beat a ****TY Notre Dame team, a 4 loss K-State team that got into the Fiesta Bowl by OU falling asleep at the wheel and Miami. Miami is the only real good team that tOSU beat in those games.

Not only do you see through *crimson* glasses, you type in it. Nice.

FYI- I typed that in RED not CRIMSON. OU fans hate it when you confuse the two. The more you know.......

FYI - Howard *************** started that "Sooner Nation" crap and OU fans hate it. The more you know....

Wow. You're talking **** about the name I use on a message board. You're reaching pal. The term Sooner Nation has been around longer than Smellsofbourbon. You really should know what the **** you're talking about.

OUinFLA
1/8/2008, 10:47 PM
I AM NOT buying an OU sweater vest.

KC//CRIMSON
1/8/2008, 10:48 PM

Where do I even begin? Your ritalin bills must be through the ceiling.

OU was down 14 points half way through 1st quarter. That means that OU beat BS by 14 for 3.5 quarters of regulation.

WTF? Does that even mean? And you're full game stats do not begin to paint an accurate picture. Boise out played us until late in the fourth quarter. Go read ANY major sports website and it will tell you the same thing. I could link a thousand different sites that say so, but I'm not going to do your homework for you.

tOSU beat a ****TY Notre Dame team, a 4 loss K-State team that got into the Fiesta Bowl by OU falling asleep at the wheel and Miami. Miami is the only real good team that tOSU beat in those games.

Really? So beating the mighty BIG12 Champion twice is no big deal? If it had been OU they beat it would have been a hell of deal though wouldn't it? Kstate caught us sleeping? You can't be serious. Undefeated and rolling to a MNC with one game left for all the marbles and they were sleeping? Sounds like sour grapes.

Wow. You're talking **** about the name I use on a message board. You're reaching pal. The term Sooner Nation has been around longer than Smellsofbourbon. You really should know what the **** you're talking about.

"Late in the 1994 season, Oklahoma head coach Gary Gibbs was forced to resign, but was allowed to finish out the season. *************** was hired to replace him on December 16, 1994. Repeating his bluster upon taking the Louisville job, *************** declared, "They'll write books and make movies about my time here." He also traveled across the state, with the stated goal of renewing the enthusiasm in what he called "Sooner Nation."

"The first signs of trouble came when he started saying that the Sooner faithful needed to forget the past. It was he who first used the term Sooner Nation, and it was in a halfway derogatory way, when he said, "the Sooner Nation needs to forget about Bud Wilkinson and Barry Switzer."

Go look these up yourself, they're out there. And plenty more.

ps. Come back when YOU know what the **** you're talking about. Kthnx.

rubyspirit
1/8/2008, 11:03 PM
Naw, Stoops has more losses.

Big Red Ron
1/8/2008, 11:06 PM
....Stoops is also 5-1 in conference championship games. How many conference championship games has Tress won again? I can't remember?:rolleyes:

Tressel = Stoops? (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2182852#post2182852)1/8/2008 10:01 PMthose mean so much in the post season.....

Yes KC they do. I would argue that winning a Conference Championship Game is more important than winning a meaningless Bowl.

KC//CRIMSON
1/8/2008, 11:24 PM
Stoops is also 5-1 in conference championship games. How many conference championship games has Tress won again? I can't remember?:rolleyes:

Yes KC they do. I would argue that winning a Conference Championship Game is more important than winning a meaningless Bowl.

Outside of OU or the BIG12 for that matter, nobody remembers conference championship games. It's all about the Bowl Games, BCS, MNC or not. That is what your program is remembered for in the end. I doubt anyone is sitting around talking about the win over Colorado in '05, but they love to talk about the beat down in the Orange bowl.

Bowl games help a lot with recruiting too and not just the regular season.

Is it really better to win your CCG than a bowl game?

Go ask Kansas or Georgia if they would trade their seasons for ours.

goingoneight
1/8/2008, 11:44 PM
I wish we could have played Notre Dame in a BCS Bowl like LSU and tOSU did. Talk about a win nobody could lose.

goingoneight
1/8/2008, 11:48 PM
Outside of OU or the BIG12 for that matter, nobody remembers conference championship games. It's all about the Bowl Games, BCS, MNC or not. That is what your program is remembered for in the end. I doubt anyone is sitting around talking about the win over Colorado in '05, but they love to talk about the beat down in the Orange bowl.

Bowl games help a lot with recruiting too and not just the regular season.

Is it really better to win your CCG than a bowl game?

Go ask Kansas or Georgia if they would trade their seasons for ours.

I asked Missouri and they said they wish they won a CCG and went to a BCS bowl. I also asked Texas fans and OSU fans if they would rather win a Toilet Bowl or win a CCG and go to a BCS Bowl vacation, win or lose and they said 'yes.'

bluedogok
1/8/2008, 11:50 PM
Since winning it all is all that matters, I hear the LSU bandwagon still has plenty of room :pop:

AimForCenterMass
1/8/2008, 11:56 PM
How is Tressel supposed to win a conference championship game in the Big Eleven?

sanantoniosooner
1/9/2008, 12:31 AM
How is Tressel supposed to win a conference championship game in the Big Eleven?
You must have a better conference record than the rest, or the same as one that you beat straight up.

Tressel has never won it without sharing it if I recall correctly.

KC//CRIMSON
1/9/2008, 12:52 AM
I asked Missouri and they said they wish they won a CCG and went to a BCS bowl. I also asked Texas fans and OSU fans if they would rather win a Toilet Bowl or win a CCG and go to a BCS Bowl vacation, win or lose and they said 'yes.'

So they said it was cool to get bent over by a interim coach and railed on national telvision as long as they could win the ccg? Awesome.

sanantoniosooner
1/9/2008, 12:54 AM
KC.........you need some RnR dude :)

Curly Bill
1/9/2008, 12:55 AM
What happened this year was embarrassing but not last year.

Losing to Boise State = not embarrassing...:confused:

sanantoniosooner
1/9/2008, 12:59 AM
Losing to Boisie State = not embarrassing...:confused:
not like this year.

PT tried to give the BSU game away and then fought back like a trooper.

We had a series of oddball plays take us down. It's not like we were manhandled. I wish we would have won that game, but it was one of the most exciting games I've ever watched and we just happened to lose it at the end.

Embarrassed? I'm not.

KC//CRIMSON
1/9/2008, 12:59 AM
Since winning it all is all that matters, I hear the LSU bandwagon still has plenty of room :pop:

Winning is the only thing that is acceptable. Is there anything else?

And if you're going to a bowl game whether it be the Cess Pool Bowl or the MNC, try not to embarrass the program, conference, and the state you represent on national television for everyone to see. KPLZTHNX.

Curly Bill
1/9/2008, 01:01 AM
not like this year. Not as much as this year I would agree with.

PT tried to give the BSU game away and then fought back like a trooper.

We had a series of oddball plays take us down. It's not like we were manhandled. I wish we would have won that game, but it was one of the most exciting games I've ever watched and we just happened to lose it at the end.

Embarrassed? I'm not. It was an exciting game, but I'm still embarrassed at losing to Boise

Curly Bill
1/9/2008, 01:04 AM
Winning is the only thing that is acceptable. Is there anything else?

Yeah losing, and some peeps seem to be fine with it as long as it's a "meaningless bowl game." Don't know about others but every game I ever played in any sport had meaning, so I'm not sure what they mean by that.

KC//CRIMSON
1/9/2008, 01:06 AM
Losing to Boise State = not embarrassing...:confused:

Getting beat by a team you should stomp ten out of ten times, having slow potato eating white boys roll over your defense, a wide receiver throwing a touchdown pass, and the weakest trick play (statue of liberty) in the history of trick plays is pulled out of a pop warner play book to beat you?

Yeah, I'd call it embarrassing.

sanantoniosooner
1/9/2008, 01:07 AM
Boise was undefeated, and had a senior QB that had only lost a couple of games his entire career.

The same people that whine because tOSU gets a high ranking because of their name will thumb their nose at the BSU team simply because of their name. It's silly. That was a good team, and OU was playing after having a bad hand dealt to them just prior to the season starting.

That was a classic game and very few will ever consider it so because of the uniforms on the other sideline. It's sad and stupid.

KC//CRIMSON
1/9/2008, 01:44 AM
Boise was undefeated, and had a senior QB that had only lost a couple of games his entire career.

The same people that whine because tOSU gets a high ranking because of their name will thumb their nose at the BSU team simply because of their name. It's silly. That was a good team, and OU was playing after having a bad hand dealt to them just prior to the season starting.

That was a classic game and very few will ever consider it so because of the uniforms on the other sideline. It's sad and stupid.

OU should have done to Boise what Georgia did to Hawaii. The bad hand you speak of was long gone when the fiesta bowl came around. We just beat Nebraska and Paul Thompson, Adrian Peterson and the rest should have been more than capable of beating Boise that night, imo.

sanantoniosooner
1/9/2008, 01:55 AM
This "Nebraska" you speak of.........did they have a guy name "Bill" coaching them?

PT wasn't good enough to beat out Bomar the previous year and spent a year playing a different position. And we played a scheme to avoid him getting hurt because we didn't have squat backing him up.

AimForCenterMass
1/9/2008, 11:09 PM
You must have a better conference record than the rest, or the same as one that you beat straight up.

Tressel has never won it without sharing it if I recall correctly.

But there is no conference championship game, so he can't possibly win an actual CC game. I was just being a smart-a**.

Big Red Ron
1/9/2008, 11:39 PM
dp

Big Red Ron
1/9/2008, 11:39 PM
Other than another win, bowl games mean nothing. They are akin to all star or pro-bowl games. Without a playoff, having no shot at a National Championship, is why it's meaningless. If I were a potential NFL draft pick and had just won the only Championship game I was going to get to play in that season, I might be more concerned about protecting my health and future than going balls to the wall to win a game that mean squat as it relates to your goal (NC) at the beginning of the season. Maybe I'm wrong but playing HS ball is way different than CFB.

sanantoniosooner
1/9/2008, 11:45 PM
That is complete BS Ron.

Bowl games are a part of the recruiting and allow the majority of seniors, who will never play in the NFL, to go out in a big game with a good opportunity for a win being matched up against a similar squad in most cases.

KC//CRIMSON
1/9/2008, 11:52 PM
Other than another win, bowl games mean nothing. They are akin to all star or pro-bowl games. Without a playoff, having no shot at a National Championship, is why it's meaningless. If I were a potential NFL draft pick and had just won the only Championship game I was going to get to play in that season, I might be more concerned about protecting my health and future than going balls to the wall to win a game that mean squat as it relates to your goal (NC) at the beginning of the season. Maybe I'm wrong but playing HS ball is way different than CFB.

Sure didn't look meaningless to West Virginia.

Big Red Ron
1/9/2008, 11:54 PM
That is complete BS Ron.

Bowl games are a part of the recruiting and allow the majority of seniors, who will never play in the NFL, to go out in a big game with a good opportunity for a win being matched up against a similar squad in most cases.I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it is one way to look at it. Look at WVU's roster and ours, we have maybe tree times as many future NFL players than them, same for BSU.

I agree most will play balls out because they won't likely play again. Look at OU in 2000. Not many NFL guys on that team but they played all out.