PDA

View Full Version : Coaching changes?????

SoonerKnight
1/8/2008, 12:54 AM
No more OU staff changes: Stoops said that other than Sumlin and Spavital leaving for Houston, he expects there to be no other coaching changes.

"No, I don't believe there will be anymore,” Stoops said. "I believe they will be the only changes.”

The Sporting News reported last Wednesday that Mark Stoops, who was the defensive backs coach for the Hurricanes before joining Arizona after the 2003 season, is considered one of the top candidate to replace Tim Walton.

No changes in the future.....

bri
1/8/2008, 01:35 AM
Makes sense. Would you want to hire any of our remaining assistants after the Fiesta Bowl perfromance? :D

SoonerKnight
1/8/2008, 01:47 AM
I would like to have Mike Stoops come to Oklahoma and help BV. We might see some changes.

Crucifax Autumn
1/8/2008, 02:05 AM
So would a lot of us, but not gonna happen soon.

But man...I love that sig!

misplaced_sooner
1/8/2008, 02:58 AM
No more OU staff changes:

No changes in the future.....

That sucks.

SoonerKnight
1/8/2008, 03:15 AM
So would a lot of us, but not gonna happen soon.

But man...I love that sig!

Had to find something to be positive about after that game against the hillbillies that I will not name.

dabien
1/8/2008, 03:16 AM
we can still make a change! fire BRENT VENABLES

SoonerKnight
1/8/2008, 03:20 AM
Not going to happen. What may need to happen is a little more control from Stoops over the D!!!!!

snp
1/8/2008, 03:22 AM
we can still make a change! fire BRENT VENABLES

Why don't you go back to lurking instead of making a "fire Venables" remark every 5 posts. We get it, you don't like him. I'm sure Stoops values your knowledge and insight towards the game more so than his own and your request shall be shortly filled.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/8/2008, 03:46 AM
i'll second that. your entitled to your opinion, but devolving into trolling threads isn't going to help your longevity here.

Curly Bill
1/8/2008, 10:30 AM
I would like to have Mike Stoops come to Oklahoma and replace BV. We might see some changes.

FIXED

OUmillenium
1/8/2008, 11:00 AM
heh

colleyvillesooner
1/8/2008, 11:11 AM
Well, this thread went to **** about as fast as I thought...

The Maestro
1/8/2008, 11:27 AM
I am not one for firing BV, but I do think it is worth Bob letting him know he has something to prove this year. I just don't want our coaches to stick their heads in the sand and act like everything is just great. I, for one, don't have a lot of confidence in our defense to step up each and every game. And we better be ready game one next year cause Cincy will be chunking the ball all over the field.

jps
1/8/2008, 01:47 PM
I seriously doubt anyone will put more pressure on Stoops than he puts on himself. There is a reason he is successful and that is because he has high expectations for himself and his program. I don't think you have to fear him acting like everything is just great.

Desert Sapper
1/8/2008, 02:18 PM
I, for one, don't have a lot of confidence in our defense to step up each and every game.

If you were to base your claim on one game, I would be forced to agree. But consider this (bowl game inclusive):

In the NCAA this year, there were only 8 teams better at stopping teams from scoring.

There were only 3 better at stopping teams from running.

There were only 5 better at stopping teams from getting yardage.

All told, the 27 teams that were better at stopping the pass might have a secondary coach that could help. Other than that...

Barring a mass exodus to the NFL, I have to think we'll improve on D. And that is pretty scary.

What have you done for me lately? I hope these kids hear every day about how much they suck. About the bowl game. I hope they see pictures in every magazine, videos on every sports program, and hear highlight soundbytes on every radio they listen to. I hope they hear about 4 straight BCS losses, about embarrassment, about pathetic efforts. Every day I hope it pounds inside their heads: 'nobody believes in you' to the point where they just can't stand it anymore and want to exterminate everything on the schedule. Like wild-eyed lunatics, screaming at the moon and holding their ears, until finally, they just can't stop the pain until they win, win, WIN. But that's just me. ;)

TUSooner
1/8/2008, 02:23 PM
Makes sense. Would you want to hire any of our remaining assistants after the Fiesta Bowl perfromance? :D
Ah, you jest, you clever thing.
But think! Whenever we get outstanding assistants (e.g., Mike, Mangino, Leach) they get hired up and away. What does that say about the ones who don't get hired away? The Peter Principle?

goingoneight
1/8/2008, 10:12 PM
Ah yes, the old "fire Brent Venables" excuse. That would solve all our problems, now wouldn't it? Tell me, who was it signaling the defense during the epic 2001 Orange Bowl? Brother Mike is living off the Stoops name from what I've seen of Arizona. I watched the AU/UO game this year and he is awful at game management. I like the guy, and there was a noticeable difference when he was here, but there was also a noticeable difference when Mangino was here, too... and people wanted him fired also. All he's ever done is win a BCS bowl in one of the most difficult jobs in college football.

rubyspirit
1/8/2008, 10:38 PM
Our defense is fine. We need some offensive changes!!!!!

Curly Bill
1/9/2008, 01:09 AM
Our defense is fine. We need some offensive changes!!!!!

Giving up 48 points to WVU in the Fiesta Bowl is fine?

I looked and I didn't see the winky eye thing so you must meat that. :confused:

SoonerKnight
1/9/2008, 01:12 AM
No it was the offensive line that allowed the sacks and hurries and rushes and all that scxrambling that Sam had to do.

Curly Bill
1/9/2008, 01:15 AM
No it was the offensive line that allowed the sacks and hurries and rushes and all that scxrambling that Sam had to do.

...and this makes giving up 48 points to WVU acceptable how?

Tear Down This Wall
1/9/2008, 02:34 PM

Post of the Century, for sure!

HopeSpringsEternal
1/9/2008, 02:42 PM
...and this makes giving up 48 points to WVU acceptable how?

Talking about how bad the defense is, is like beating your head against a wall around here. It's pathetic, most everybody is like the guy that goes to sleep and loses his memory every night and wakes up to a brand new world where 2+2=5 and the sky is pink. Oh well, one more year of wtf inducing losses and another poor bowl performance by the defense is in order for next season. I hate to say it but after that dismantling OU is stuck with Venables. They'll either have to fire him or Bob will have to call in some markers to get rid of him.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
1/9/2008, 02:57 PM
You definitely don't hear BV's name being mentioned for any Head jobs opening up like in the past. Why is that?

HopeSpringsEternal
1/9/2008, 03:06 PM
Poor job performance would be my first guess. You won't get many rational answers around here for it. It'll be everybody else's fault.

wishbonesooner
1/9/2008, 03:15 PM
Bob is apparently very loyal to his friends. He will never fire BV. Mark it.

colleyvillesooner
1/9/2008, 03:17 PM
I almost need a new note book for everything on here I'm told to "Mark it down."

zeke
1/9/2008, 03:58 PM
The talent on the field and on the sidelines is there. Nobody liked how the bowl game went. But firing BV is not the answer.
Giving up 48 points is not acceptable EVER. With a month to prepair for a team dont you think Bob Stoops had a little to do with the scheme of things.

Is it BV's fault that the offense couldn't stay onside, block without holding or line up correctly?

Is it BV's fault that 1 player was injured, 1 player was sick, 1 player was inelligable and 1 player went home? Starters start for a reason.

I guess it was BV who decided to go for it on 4th down when we had yet to move the ball on the ground. BV's call for the onside kick and to go for 2.

ATTITUDE was lacking on the whole team.

Brent Venables did not do his job well at the bowl game, neither did any of the rest of the coaching staff.

IMHO it will be fixed. MARK IT DOWN

snp
1/9/2008, 04:03 PM
You definitely don't hear BV's name being mentioned for any Head jobs opening up like in the past. Why is that?

Because not everything is made public. Keep believing this idea, BV haters - it's totally wrong.

Kels
1/9/2008, 06:01 PM
i'll second that. your entitled to your opinion, but devolving into trolling threads isn't going to help your longevity here.

Whoa! I just put 2+2 together. Ol' Receding Hairline's son was a grad assistant? No wonder we got a mudhole stomped in us by WVA!

The curse continues . . .

Curly Bill
1/9/2008, 08:32 PM
Because not everything is made public. Keep believing this idea, BV haters - it's totally wrong.

I once asked another poster to provide a list of all the head jobs he stated Venables had turned down...I'm still waiting. Maybe you'd care to oblige?

...and no I don't think he's the worst coach in the world, but yes I do think we'd be better off without him.

Curly Bill
1/9/2008, 08:40 PM
Because not everything is made public.

I would like to state for the record that Bob has called and asked me to be the DC at OU...I don't think I'm gonna do it though. :D

snp
1/9/2008, 11:19 PM
I once asked another poster to provide a list of all the head jobs he stated Venables had turned down...I'm still waiting. Maybe you'd care to oblige?

...and no I don't think he's the worst coach in the world, but yes I do think we'd be better off without him.

I don't have a list or an idea of every job offer or interview request but I know he turned down SMU's request to be interviewed this year, something weird happened up at KSU before Prince was hired and he had a great opportunity fall apart at the last second this year.

Sorry I won't get into specifics or provide any documentation but you'll have to take me for my word. Or not.

Curly Bill
1/9/2008, 11:24 PM
I don't have a list or an idea of every job offer or interview request but I know he turned down SMU's request to be interviewed this year, something weird happened up at KSU before Prince was hired and he had a great opportunity fall apart at the last second this year.

Sorry I won't get into specifics or provide any documentation but you'll have to take me for my word. Or not.

I believe your sincerity. I just question how many genuine D-1 head coaching offers have been tended his way. I have real questions about how many will be coming down the pike anytime soon.

Desert Sapper
1/10/2008, 12:36 PM
Bob is a leader. He is in the mold of former Iowa head coach Hayden Fry (likely one of the biggest influences in Bob's leadership style). Fry didn't win any national titles. He only won three Big 10 titles. He lost every Rose Bowl he brought the Hawkeyes to. But one thing Hayden Fry did as well as anybody was make coaches. He trained, mentored, developed, and produced some of the best coaches in the history of college football.

Former Fry assistants or players who have taken over Division I-A college football programs include Kirk Ferentz, Bob Stoops, Mike Stoops, Bill Snyder, Barry Alvarez, Bret Bielema, Dan McCarney, Chuck Long, Jim Leavitt, and Bo Pelini.

Former Stoops assistants who have taken Division IA head coaching jobs include Mike Stoops, Mark Mangino, Mike Leach, Chuck Long, and Kevin Sumlin.

And it won't stop there.

Look, if you are the leader of an organization, what is your job? You must make your organization as productive as possible, while teaching, coaching, and mentoring your subordinates. Bob has done an awesome job of both. Don't look for that to change.

Brent will continue his development under Bob until he is ready to take a head coaching job. My best guess is that will happen next year.

picasso
1/10/2008, 01:36 PM
how about a new strength and conditioning coach?

swardboy
1/10/2008, 02:55 PM
how about a new strength and conditioning coach?

Hey! Didn't you get enough for Christmas? :D

Curly Bill
1/10/2008, 03:01 PM
Brent will continue his development under Bob until he is ready to take a head coaching job. My best guess is that will happen next year.

My best hope is that it will happen this year. :D